HIGH SCHOOL REFEREES .

HOT SHOT

HIGH SCHOOL REFEREES .

Post by HOT SHOT »

THIS POST IS TO FIND OUT INFO AND NOT TO BASH REFS. WITH OUT REFS THERE WOULD BE NO GAMES.<br><br> I have been to many games and the refs would call simple penalties like trip, slash. hook, ect. My question is why are the refs going over to the coaches that want to talk about the penalty ? It slows the tempo of the game way down. The fans dont like it , the players dont like it. At the referee clinic they said only explain to the coaches if you are sending more than one player to the box or if you wave off a goal. Alot of the coaches are just trying to stall for time and it slows the game down. Maybe the coaches should get a delay of game. Or the refs need to stop going to the bench . I think that would stop alot of this talking.<br><br><br> I will always remember what an old timer ref would say to the coaches " I WILL TALK TO YOU AFTER THE GAME " <br><br> REFS , PLEASE REF THE GAMES. COACHES , PLEASE LET THE REFS DO THERE JOBS.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Eddie Shore

Re: HIGH SCHOOL REFEREES .

Post by Eddie Shore »

The alternative to having a quick, civil conversation at the bench is to have the coach screaming at the ref from across the ice. No one wants that either. <br><br>Part of the problem with high school officials is that many of them have absolutely no training. It actually takes more training for someone to ref a Squirt game than it does a high school game. That's not meant to be a shot at the officials - that's just a fact.<br><br>If trips to the bench become excessive, that's where we have a problem. I have no issue with a coach asking for an explanation on a close play, as long as it is quick and the coach takes the explanation at face value (and doesn't go nuts). Unfortunately, there are coaches that abuse this. Last year, Minnehaha Academy was skating two lines and their coach was constantly calling the refs over to the bench in the third period of games to rest his players. Thier assistant coach, Doug Johnson, even printed an article in his magazine (Let's Play Hockey) that bragged up the fact that they were wasting time in games to rest their players - including using the old lost contact trick on at least one occasion. That's the kind of blatant cheating that needs to go away. <p></p><i></i>
MediaGuide

Trade Off

Post by MediaGuide »

HS refs give the HS coaches the courtesy of listening more as a trade-off for a higher level of professionalism on the part of the coaches, and the fact that HS refs take far less abuse from coaches and parents and others at the HS level than they do at the youth levels. But it is not meant to be abused and HS refs are trained or at least told that if it gets abused by a coach in a game, or if a coach is just trying to stall, then the ref should refuse to go over to the coach and blow the whistle for the face-off to get going. That's the way its supposed to go anyway. <br><br>The issue of HS refs being trained less than youth refs should be a bogus one as the HS ref associations I know of generally want a new ref to be adequately experienced before going to the HS level. One HS ref association in the metro evaluates new refs on the ice for 2 or more summer "varsity" games and restricts "greener" refs to being mainly linesmen for 1-2 seasons. While I'm sure there are exceptions to this due to the need for refs and some refs in HS aren't experienced enough, most HS refs have had a good deal of experience at different levels before ever touching the HS ice. <p></p><i></i>
thunderdan

ref training

Post by thunderdan »

plain and simple,<br>USA hockey are the people who end up training most HS officials unless you have some guy who just wants to ref HS and thats it.<br>These seminars are required in order to ref youth hockey and they pay big dividends for refs who want to go onto HS.<br>USA hockey puts on the seminars and on-ice training for officials who ref youth hockey.<br>MSHSL does absolutely nothing to train an official besides issue them a rule book. <p></p><i></i>