Junior B

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnhockey9009

Junior B

Post by mnhockey9009 »

Pretty new to the junior B league, what is the competition like, better or worse then a good high school team?, does anyone go from junior B to like d3 hockey?
crash

Post by crash »

Top programs are better than High School, bottom are about par with most high school teams but would get worked vs the top teams.

Teams like the one here in Rochester are very good. Most every player that plays here plays D-3 a few(1 every few years) go D-1.

It's good hockey, way better than I thought it would be when the Ice Hawks moved here after the Mustangs left.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

From last years Ice Hawks team I KNOW of two kids with college plans. Chris Spracklen will be going to D-1 Army next year. Mat Hall will go to D-3 St. Mary's.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
juniorhockey

Junior B

Post by juniorhockey »

Junior B's image in Minnesota is finally beginning to change. Ten year's ago the league would be a waste of time. Now it's a stepping stone to DIII and Junior A. And, yes, the RARE D1 (in most instances they move to Junior A, then get the D1 offer.)

Do your homework. Teams have different philosophies. By just looking at the standings you won't find the best teams. Rochester had done a good job of moving players up and continuing to win because they get a player in return. Twin Cities moves up players and doesn't always get something in return. They are middle of the pack. Blaine and Wisconsin have good teams this year, but haven't moved up anyone in a long time.

I guess it depends on what your looking for.
gotdangles16

Post by gotdangles16 »

Playing jr.B is well worth your time before highschool (possibly doing split season) or after highschool. I know many players who played jr.B and have moved up to jr.A or are playing D3 next year.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

If you're going to play Jr. B you're probably better off in the CSHL with Dubuque or St. Louis than in Minnesota. Rochester does a nice job, but their best players were good high school players who put up bigger numbers in Jr. B than they did in high school. (pts per game, because the Jr. B season is longer)Some can be attributed to playing with better players, but a number of teams, including Rochester, have kids who were cut from their high school team. And as was pointed out most high school teams would beat the bottom 4 teams in the MJHL and even the league champion Ice Hawks weren't the best team in Rochester, let alone would they beat a top 30 high school team most nights.

If you want to play in front of anyone at all play in Rochester or Dubuque, both get 500+ fans a night, St. Louis just won their 4th straight Jr B National Championship and they average 26 fans a game (according to their own league). The Bantam C games and Termite practices at the other side of the Vet draw more people than the Owls do.

DIII takes anyone, they don't offer scholarships based on athletics and if they can convince you to come there and maybe play hockey vs. going to Winona St. which doesn't have hockey or St. Cloud St. which is DI then the school wins. My son quit hockey after his junior year and still received letters from most MIAC teams during his senior year. If you're going to play Jr. B do it have fun and don't expect much else and you'll probably be satisfied.
crash

Post by crash »

Minnesota Ice Hawks WERE the best team in Rochester....by far!

I got this list from Asst. Coach Dubois, What kids were cut from High School teams...

1-Brach-AAA Michigan, better than any HS goalie in Roch
3-Danny Grady-Jr. A
5-Peterson-Jr. A tender and all world Century High School star
6-Jensen- Jr. A
7-Lukasz- EGF HS, rated as one of the top class A forwards
8-French-Jr. A
9-Mueller-Top WI High School player 3 years ago
10-Short- HS So from IN, USHL Draft list
11-Goodmanson-Jr. A
12-Stevens-Century's #2 or 3 D last season, Most Improved Player I saw this year, didn't win that award with the hawks though
15-Nolt-Red Wing HS leading scorer last year
16-Dahl-Sauk Rapids HS leading scoring D Jr & Sr years
18-Johnston-Roseau All Conf, Jr. A
20-MacRae-HS Sr who spent Jr. year in AAA, 15pts FR, 25pts So year
21-Katnik-All Conf MI HS
22-Eckhart-3 year Capt MI HS
23-DeSmit-All Conf MN HS Robb Cooper
24-Thompson- 2 year All Conf MN HS, 80 Points & 3 varsitys letters, 2 state tournys as a first liner
25-Gorman-JM HS Second leading scorer, alt Capt
26-Szabo- Slovk D-II Pro
27-Ellertson-Jr. A & about a billion points in his 2 trips to the State tourny
28-Rohrig-3X letter @ Owat HS, second in scoring to USHL Murphy by 2 points
29-Hawthone-AHA HS, not many games played, Ice Hawks MImprovedP
34-Bergum-Jr. A, WHL Draft Pick
36-Bussey-Jr. A, 2 time letter Duluth East, 2 time letter Duluth Marshal

I bet this team would beat Centurys team from last year by about 6!
smupuck9

Post by smupuck9 »

goldy youre saying your kid quit hockey in hs, yet got offers to play in the MIAC? That's almost commical, and unless hes some sort of blue chipper I have 0 doubt that you're making that up. Look at some MIAC rosters and see how many kids are true freshman and actually play? I'd say, (not an exact number) but probly at least 80% of all kids that play d-3 in the miac or ncha all played juniors. Kids straight out of high school are dissapearing at any level of college besides club.

And your comments that the icehawks weren't the best team in rochester is a little off base. Century would have had no chance, and that's a guarantee. that's a pretty impressive list crash just made up there, and i think what he was trying to say if youre going to try to post "facts" such as some of their players got "cut" from high school teams, you better actually know what you're talking about. Cause i'm pretty sure he proved you 100% wrong.
65one

Post by 65one »

Actually, Hawthorne got cut from AHA as a senior.
crash

Post by crash »

Cut? I though he had grade issues...anyway I know he played a few Varsity games as a Jr. because I watched him.