WHL vs College

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeypuck91

WHL vs College

Post by hockeypuck91 »

What do you think is the smarter route WHL or college?
Observer85

Re: WHL vs College

Post by Observer85 »

hockeypuck91 wrote:What do you think is the smarter route WHL or college?
Depends on the individual and his realistic assessment of his abilities. WHL will pay one year of college expenses once you are done with your junior experience. That is - as long as you don't sign a professional contract, then the college funds are gone.

The best most recent example (that I can think of) of who has the better situation would be the 2 Lamoureux brothers of the USHL Tri City Storm.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/tea ... sonid=2212

The Lamoureux's are from Grand Forks and they have twin sisters who will be playing at the University of Minnesota next season on the women's team. Their oldest brother is the goalie for the Sioux this season.

Mario is now in his 4th year with the Storm http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... B%5D=81101
and will head off to play for the University of North Dakota next season. I am guessing he has a fairly nice scholarship offer to play college hockey at the Division I level for another 4 years.

Pierre-Paul played 3 years in the WHL for Red Deer http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... B%5D=80356 and chose to play in the USHL with his brother this year. He now has 3 years of college paid for. Considering he and Mario live in Grand Forks, lets say Pierre Paul goes to North Dakota next year. Again, pretty nice scholarship for school. Pierre will be able to continue his hockey playing at the club hockey level while he goes to school.

Summary. Both kids will get most of their college educations paid for by their playing hockey during their junior years. One will continue to be in the limelight with the Fighting Sioux NCAA team and the other in a lesser light. But both will continue to get to play hockey while going to school.
TheShow

Post by TheShow »

Alot of college players are being drafted into the NHL. Also alot of canadians are coming down to play college hockey.
Stabbin31

WHL or NCAA

Post by Stabbin31 »

Tell you what. If my plan is to play pro hockey, and that is my #1 goal, I go to the WHL. If I want to play hockey, get an education and have a very good chance to go pro I would say NCAA.

I still think that the CHL (O,W,Q) are the fast track to the show. The USHL is trying its darndest to be to that caliber, and while they are getting closer every year, the CHL is some of the best hockey around.
juniorhockey

CHL

Post by juniorhockey »

There has been numerous debates regarding this in the past. Here is and excert from an article I found.

"There are approximately 250 major junior graduates in the NHL, which is impressive until you figure out that means an average of four players from each of the 60 CHL teams and, when you spread that number over the lifespan of an NHL player, it means that each team will produce one NHL player every two or three years."

To top that off, reports of money paid out by the Major Junior Leagues for tuition is WAY less then the cost of tuition. Recently a player won a court battle to get the CHL to pay his full tuition like promised. Lastly, a nice newspaper article from a Canadian source nonetheless suggest Canada review their Bantam Draft, which just so happens to be to early for any NCAA contact. Reports show how fast players enter the CHL (at 16) and how fast they fizzle out because they are not ready (usually by 18). Now they have no options.

In my opinion, the CHL is very good hockey. (despite the QMJHL losing to USHL teams this year in debatable fashion) But the NCAA deserves more latitude to attract players and at least present their option to younger players. It's a great option as well.
Stabbin31

WHL or NCAA

Post by Stabbin31 »

Junior, I agree that they need to review the bantam draft and the league should work on getting a little older. Instead of having 5+ 16 year olds that are good, why not have only 2 that are outstanding. If the kids are good enough to play in the CHL at 16 they are going to be better prepared, mentally and physically, thus making them better prepared for the NHL draft.

I am a HUGE fan of the CHL, more so then NCAA. Maybe its cause I am oldschool, I dont know. I am just not a fan of auto icing, guys hidding behind facemasks and no fighting rules.
newsguy35

Re: WHL vs College

Post by newsguy35 »

Observer85 wrote:
hockeypuck91 wrote:What do you think is the smarter route WHL or college?
Depends on the individual and his realistic assessment of his abilities. WHL will pay one year of college expenses once you are done with your junior experience. That is - as long as you don't sign a professional contract, then the college funds are gone.

The best most recent example (that I can think of) of who has the better situation would be the 2 Lamoureux brothers of the USHL Tri City Storm.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/tea ... sonid=2212

The Lamoureux's are from Grand Forks and they have twin sisters who will be playing at the University of Minnesota next season on the women's team. Their oldest brother is the goalie for the Sioux this season.

Mario is now in his 4th year with the Storm http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... B%5D=81101
and will head off to play for the University of North Dakota next season. I am guessing he has a fairly nice scholarship offer to play college hockey at the Division I level for another 4 years.

Pierre-Paul played 3 years in the WHL for Red Deer http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... B%5D=80356 and chose to play in the USHL with his brother this year. He now has 3 years of college paid for. Considering he and Mario live in Grand Forks, lets say Pierre Paul goes to North Dakota next year. Again, pretty nice scholarship for school. Pierre will be able to continue his hockey playing at the club hockey level while he goes to school.

Summary. Both kids will get most of their college educations paid for by their playing hockey during their junior years. One will continue to be in the limelight with the Fighting Sioux NCAA team and the other in a lesser light. But both will continue to get to play hockey while going to school.
He wouldnt be in teh light with the Sioux as NCAA rules do not allow W, Q or O players to play. For some reason they say they get "paid" and are not allowed. The other problem with going to the W, Q or O is that if you are not touted higher than the NCAA players you are not going anywhere. You cant even go play college hockey, where as if you played "minor" Jr's you still have that option of being looked at as an amateur by a college. More kids are being drafted out of Minor Jr's every year because the age and potential for growth if picked up on by a college team. If you are not going to go pro right out of HS then there is no reason to go to a major jr team. You lose more options that way.