Albert Lee Team

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

southsidemafia wrote:Kenai River 3
AL 2
What a disaster of epic proportions!!! :shock: AL didn't win? They should pack it up and be done. Especially after a blow out like that :lol:
Character is who you are when no one is watching
crash

Post by crash »

How about now?

Will they win a game this year?

I said it before, they are the FOURTH best Jr team in the area.
juniorhockey

Crash

Post by juniorhockey »

I think we can still say they are better then Rochester. If you go off of the record, the Ice Hawks are not even in the top four or five in the Minnesota League this year.

But that is just going by their record.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

That's because the ice seagalls have a couple of great players who play for I and not T.....that's why they are not in the NAHL!
crash

Post by crash »

Agreed...but if history teaches us anything the 'I' players will become 'Team' players under Coach Fatis and then they will be crackerjack players.
wells

Post by wells »

Al is a new team and they are doing as expected. The Express on the other hand are not new despite them using that as their excuse for their poor fan attendance this year being a record low and they have a middle of the pack team.
MN, hockey is the best!
woodley

Post by woodley »

wells wrote:Al is a new team and they are doing as expected. The Express on the other hand are not new despite them using that as their excuse for their poor fan attendance this year being a record low and they have a middle of the pack team.
Wells, put down the pipe. . . .

The Express got approval to play less than a week before the draft. . . every player from last year was the property of the Machine. Let's see, making all the initial calls, offering tenders, prepping for the draft. . . all in less than a week. . . As to their attendance being "record low" there has been ONE GAME and they actually counted the people in attendance. I am aware that last year, some one just made up a number and called it the attendance figure. Usually it was at least twice the number of people in the stands. Watch the before Christmas vs. after Christmas record of the Express. Cullen teaches his kids how to play as a team. That takes time and causes them to peak at the right time of the year. IMHO. . .
taz10

Post by taz10 »

It's not how you start out the season it's how you finish it. It will be fun too see what teams finish strong.
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Heard a rumor that the Assistant Coach has now resigned and at least a couple of kids quit. What I heard - this is second hand so maybe someone can confirm - is that the Ass't Coach was not being allowed to be on the ice at practice because he hadn't sold enough corporate sponsorships.

Rumors also continue to fly about kids having paid for spots on the team, which if true (and proved) brings into question eligibility issues for college. I feel sorry for the coaching staff. Wow...
golfreak

Post by golfreak »

The assistant coach did resign. I haven't heard about the sponsorships deal, however I do know that the coaches are not being allowed to coach. Basically all of the decisions are being made by the Director of Hockey Operations. This is a big turn off for coaches and it is the main reason why the original head coach resigned before the team even played a game.

The only kid that I've heard is quitting is the starting goaltender. Could be more.

This is sad and something needs to change around this team otherwise it could be a long season and a short stay in AL.
PuckBabe1234

Post by PuckBabe1234 »

Im close with the Assistant Coach Brian and although i have not talk to him since thursday he didnt mention anything about quitting ill be sure to ask him tonight about it
ThundrStruK

Post by ThundrStruK »

If you think the Director of Hockey Operations is making the decisions about this team then I find it difficult to consider your comments about the assistant coach and players credible. DOHO is as much a puppet of the owner Soskin as the coach and everybody else connected with this team. It is completely understanable if the assistant coach has resigned, he is the only good thing the leadership of this team has going for it. But, for the sake of the players I wouldn't want to spread rumors and half truths without thoroughly checking the facts.
ThundrStruK

Post by ThundrStruK »

OK, it is no longer rumor or half truth. The goalie cleared out his locker this morning and the assistant coach also talked to the team about his resignation this morning. I understand the assistant coach deciding to leave, it't really hard being the only sane person in an insane world. The surprising thing is that he stuck with it as long as he did. I am sure there were a multitude of reasons for him to resign and they all point back to the owner Soskin.

On the other hand the goalie quitting does not make a lot of sense to me. He is a good goalie and he is the reason the team actually had a couple of close games in this early part of the season. It is just too early to abandon ship right now. Despite the poor coaching and ownership decisions of late this team is just about ready to turn the corner. I would think it would be better to be known as a player who struggled early and triumphed in the end rather than one who quit when things were hard at the beginning.
taz10

Post by taz10 »

The coaching staff is doing the best it can with a young team. The coach is very good. He runs up tempo practices. These young men are getting it. It is sad that the goaltender left. So I guess my question to Thundrstruk is why do you thinks it's bad coaching? Brad and Brian both work and worked real hard at making this team become as one, Brian had his reason on resigning, and Brad is trying to keep things positive. Mr. Soskins has done this before, so I think he knows what he has, and is ok with it. 8 games in and everybody panics, 50 more to go. PATIENCE. If they go 0 and forever, go ahead and bitch, but support this team, they are working very hard.
ThundrStruK

Post by ThundrStruK »

Well Taz I do have good reason to consider poor coaching a part of the problem but my main issue is with the ownership and administration of the team. Brian Murphy was a great coach. Brad Zangs is an OK coach. But neither one of them is in control of this team. Soskin is making all the decisions. You just have to ask why is one of their best players not dressing for the last three games and you will find out who is making the decisions. Just look at Saturday's game against North Iowa to see poor administrative decisions creating poor coaching decisions. I have to ask who was responsible for aquiring the new defenseman from Fairbanks. It was obvious the first shift he was on the ice that Fairbanks got the better of that deal. His poor play figured in at least four if not all five of the Outlaw goals. (The game stats as reported on pointstreak are incorrect by the way.) I am sure Zangs had to put him in to see what he could do but he certainly did not have to keep playing him a regular shift when it was obvious he was so slow. Of course the real reason they aquired him became aparent later when they sent him out to fight. He was not very good at that either. My issue is with the administration of this team who went out and aquired a fighter when what this team really needs is help scoring. They already have goons. They do not need any more. The really sad part is, and this is why I consider the coach partly responsible, they were given the opportunity to aquire a player recently let go by a USHL team who is a definite goal scorer and was a top prospect coming out of Minn this past year. All Zangs had to do was give him a call and he would have seriously considered coming to AL. Zangs never called. Crouse from North Iowa did and he is now an Outlaw. Either Zangs made the decision not to even call or Soskin directed him not to. Either way it is poor decision making of this nature that will destroy this team.
golfreak

Post by golfreak »

Well StruK,

I guess I'm a little confused as to your position on this team. First you criticize me for not knowing and saying I should stop telling "half-truths" while in reality, YOU are the one on here now who is starting new rumors.

I feel that this whole organization has been backward from the start. From player personnel moves to coaching decisions made just before this season. There is no way that, in its current state, this team will survive.

It's a sad situation for every party involved.
Mario58

Post by Mario58 »

ThundrStruK wrote:Well Taz I do have good reason to consider poor coaching a part of the problem but my main issue is with the ownership and administration of the team. Brian Murphy was a great coach. Brad Zangs is an OK coach. But neither one of them is in control of this team. Soskin is making all the decisions. You just have to ask why is one of their best players not dressing for the last three games and you will find out who is making the decisions. Just look at Saturday's game against North Iowa to see poor administrative decisions creating poor coaching decisions. I have to ask who was responsible for aquiring the new defenseman from Fairbanks. It was obvious the first shift he was on the ice that Fairbanks got the better of that deal. His poor play figured in at least four if not all five of the Outlaw goals. (The game stats as reported on pointstreak are incorrect by the way.) I am sure Zangs had to put him in to see what he could do but he certainly did not have to keep playing him a regular shift when it was obvious he was so slow. Of course the real reason they aquired him became aparent later when they sent him out to fight. He was not very good at that either. My issue is with the administration of this team who went out and aquired a fighter when what this team really needs is help scoring. They already have goons. They do not need any more. The really sad part is, and this is why I consider the coach partly responsible, they were given the opportunity to aquire a player recently let go by a USHL team who is a definite goal scorer and was a top prospect coming out of Minn this past year. All Zangs had to do was give him a call and he would have seriously considered coming to AL. Zangs never called. Crouse from North Iowa did and he is now an Outlaw. Either Zangs made the decision not to even call or Soskin directed him not to. Either way it is poor decision making of this nature that will destroy this team.
Who is the USHL person? I'm waiting to hear about some of the cuts..where they ended up. It must take awhile.
taz10

Post by taz10 »

Thundrstruk.
Brian is a young coach, he understands that he needed to learn at this level, and had his reasons on why he needed to leave. Brian is going to be a very good coach in the near future. Brad however is a very good coach, he has coached at every level of hockey except the pros and major junior's. You need to come out and watch his practices, come out and introduce yourself, and maybe you have idea's that he may want to hear? Brad is very approachable. These boy's are playing hard and practicing hard, they are very close to breaking out. My other question is who is this kid from the USHL that they should have picked up, if he was a top player in MN last year, why did he get released?
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

He is a VERY top player and played in the NWSC. :wink:
ThundrStruK

Post by ThundrStruK »

golfreak wrote:Well StruK,

I guess I'm a little confused as to your position on this team. First you criticize me for not knowing and saying I should stop telling "half-truths" while in reality, YOU are the one on here now who is starting new rumors.

I feel that this whole organization has been backward from the start. From player personnel moves to coaching decisions made just before this season. There is no way that, in its current state, this team will survive.

It's a sad situation for every party involved.
Freak, I really am right there with you. It is a sad situation. I am very critical of the organization, especially the administration, but I am also close enough to some of the people involved that I do want them to be succesful in the end. If you knew something before I did, what was rumor to me was a fact to you. In the same vain, what I have stated is fact to me because I know about it first hand, even if it may seem rumor and half truth to you.

All I'll say is Danny is correct. And for Taz, I have been to their practice sessions and my opinion about the head coach has not changed since I first met him.
Stabbin31

Post by Stabbin31 »

Player in question is John O'neill. I am very suprised he did not stick in the USHL. GREAT pick up by NOIA.
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Stabbin31 wrote:Player in question is John O'neill. I am very suprised he did not stick in the USHL. GREAT pick up by NOIA.
The coaching staff wanted O'Neill. Word on the street is that Perkins/Soskin would not allow it. These clowns don't want good players on this team - good players might show up the Chicago boys.
2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin »

Who is John O'Neil!

The two players the North Iowa picked up in the trade 10 days ago are Joe Harcharik from Des Moines (that originally played for NI) and Ryan Peltoma from the Omaha Lancers!
Mario58

Post by Mario58 »

2pipesnin wrote:Who is John O'Neil!

The two players the North Iowa picked up in the trade 10 days ago are Joe Harcharik from Des Moines (that originally played for NI) and Ryan Peltoma from the Omaha Lancers!
John O'Neill is referenced in this article:
http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=631
Bash Brother

Re: Albert Lee Team

Post by Bash Brother »

MNHockey08 wrote:Its official. The new team in Albert Lee has been approved by the NAHL. The Thunder is set to join next year.
I hate to be nit-picky but its Albert Lea... not Albert Lee.
BB