Junior A or USHL?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

brandy38

Junior A or USHL?

Post by brandy38 »

Which is a better choice as far as skill level? With Junior A, I mean the better Canadian Junior A leagues such as the BCHL (British Columbia), AJHL (Alberta), and OJHL (Ontario). If this has already been discussed, just direct me to the proper thread.
JSR

Re: Junior A or USHL?

Post by JSR »

brandy38 wrote:Which is a better choice as far as skill level? With Junior A, I mean the better Canadian Junior A leagues such as the BCHL (British Columbia), AJHL (Alberta), and OJHL (Ontario). If this has already been discussed, just direct me to the proper thread.
I'm not sure it is as much about "which is better skill level" as it is what is your (or your son's) goal. If your goal is Midwest based Division 1 hockey then USHL is probably your best choice, OJHL might also be in the mix for that but IMO USHL is still the better route. If you want to go D1 hockey in the northeast then ECJL or BCHL are probably the way to go depending on which school you want to go to. If your goal is the NHL and you (or your kid) is very physical and plays the physical game better than the skill game (though still having very good skills) then the OJHL might be the best bet as the OJHL is seen primarily as a feeder for the OHL which in turn is seen (by the NCAA anyway) as a kind of pro feeder league for the NHL. I am not as familiar with the AJHL as the others. Others may disagree with me, sift through the muck and make the best decision for yourself/your kid.
Last edited by JSR on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

Thanks for the info. I think I should have explained that I'm not of that caliber. I'm 19 so I obviously don't have a son. But thank you I was curious about those junior A leagues mainly.