This is how the WHL is supposed to work

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lecroixwhl

This is how the WHL is supposed to work

Post by Lecroixwhl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 am

Good short story on how things should work in the WHL and do for many.

http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Hockey ... ty-level/1

You might have to paste this into your browser?[/url]

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Considering my options, I had the choice to go to the East Coast League OR the CIS
Yep, that's how it works. One or the other, but not both.

Lecroixwhl

Post by Lecroixwhl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Yep just like college players in the US could not do both at the same time? I guess maybe I don't understand your comment TEO?

WHL Players and College players in the US, can both go to Minor Pro teams after college is over and in most cases the WHL kids would be younger or at minimum the same age?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Lecroixwhl wrote:Yep just like college players in the US could not do both at the same time? I guess maybe I don't understand your comment TEO?

WHL Players and College players in the US, can both go to Minor Pro teams after college is over and in most cases the WHL kids would be younger or at minimum the same age?
Here's the gist of it: At the end of a nice WHL career, this player faced a major life decision. At the end of a nice NCAA career, the decision is considerably less daunting because he'd already have his bachelor's degree in hand. Going pro is a no risk decision at that point.

If you did a survey of every AHL and NHL player who has earned a bachelor's degree, I think you'd find that the overwhelming majority of them came through the NCAA system. That's not an accident, that's a result of the difference in the systems. Obviously, a career in the AHL and/or the NHL makes for a nice standard of living even without a bachelor's degree, but due to either competition for roster spots or health, no player can completely rely on having a long hockey career.

Actually, I agree with this player's recent decision. I think getting his degree is the right choice, and there's still an outside chance that he could create a hockey career after the fact. Although, that won't happen in the ECHL, as the player has acknowledged. If he'd been able to make a D1 roster (no guarantee), he'd likely be heading into his sophomore or junior season. That's two more years to impress scouts and earn a contract, all while finishing up his degree.

I apologize though, I shouldn't have been so snarky. Like you, I approve of this kid's recent decision. Our opinions likely differ on his initial decision.

Lecroixwhl

Post by Lecroixwhl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:10 am

Great post TEO, I just didn't get what you were trying to say. I actually think you summed it up very well in this last post. I do agree with you 100% that this kid made the right choice. I'm not sure we are so different on our opinions, I really think the choice to go WHL or NCAA is dependent on each kids personnel situation. There is no right or wrong in my opinion. What I get frustrated with is so many people ripping WHL kids and making the assumption that they do not get educated when in fact many of them do. I really think we should be celebrating all kids and be rooting for them to have successful hockey careers no matter their choice, but more importantly rooting for them to get educated and be productive, happy and successful people... again... no matter the hockey choices they make.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Lecroixwhl wrote: What I get frustrated with is so many people ripping WHL kids and making the assumption that they do not get educated when in fact many of them do.
I take back something I previously posted. I stated that I disagreed with the kid's initial decision, but I would qualify that based on his circumstances at the time. I don't know what they were.

In general, I try not to rip a the kid's decision. The kid and his parents made that decision with the best available information at hand. It's not the kids (or even the parents) that I have issues with. I have issues with misrepresentations. I don't think you've tried to misrepresent anything, but other WHL backers certainly have.

There is risk in any decision. There is risk in NOT making a decision. What I advocate is a level of transparency that ensures all risks are accurately depicted for honest evaluation. That, and no hypocrisy.

downwithcloquet

Post by downwithcloquet » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 pm

I may not know all the facts but I believe the WHL teams pay tuition for the player after they age out. I also see every year that multiple Canadian university teams make their way to the states for the preseason and frequently beat high end D1 teams. I don't see much of a difference than going to the USHL then NCAA, or play WHL then go to a Canadian university for free with a high level of competition. They are going to be the same age when they graduate either way. Not a big fan of the people that are convinced major juniors are a death sentence for a career.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:42 pm

downwithcloquet wrote:I may not know all the facts but I believe the WHL teams pay tuition for the player after they age out. I also see every year that multiple Canadian university teams make their way to the states for the preseason and frequently beat high end D1 teams. I don't see much of a difference than going to the USHL then NCAA, or play WHL then go to a Canadian university for free with a high level of competition. They are going to be the same age when they graduate either way. Not a big fan of the people that are convinced major juniors are a death sentence for a career.
The WHL pays for any tuition that the player has earned. Most, but not all of them earn enough for a four year degree.

Frequently beat? Their combined record this season was 4 wins, 32 losses, and one tie.

As for the difference, how many Canadian college players step directly from school into the AHL or NHL after graduating? How many NCAA players? (hint: it's a wide gap)

I've never and will never claim that major juniors is a death sentence for a hockey career, just for an NCAA hockey career. Again, I don't begrudge a player for making that choice. I only take issue when the facts are obfuscated.