Who was the best H.S. player ever from MN?

JLS 81

Re: toby

Post by JLS 81 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:54 am

Housley is great. Still Neal Broton is the stud of Minnesota Hockey. Stanley Cup, Gold Medal, National Championship. Hell of a resume. In the Pro's he was still effective even after being hacked to pieces by opposing teams. Total package with Brots. Kill Penalties, set guys up, bury the puck a great hockey player. <p></p><i></i>

wingfan

John Pohl

Post by wingfan » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:13 am

Yes Neal Broten and Phil Housley were great players but as you see most of their accomplishments came after graduating from high school. John Pohl of Red Wing is the all-time pts. leader in the state and he lead his team to a 2nd place finish as a sophomore, a 1st place finish and undefeated season as a junior, and a 3rd place finish as a senior. More than most people can say. Also he graduated 5 years ago. The competition in the state has gotten alot better than it was 50 some odd years ago when mayasich was around. And as you see he is the only Division I. player to come off that team. He didn't have alot of help other than his younger brother Mark to help him out Unlike Broten who had 2 brothers who both played in the NHL. <p></p><i></i>

rams1981

Re: Best Player

Post by rams1981 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:10 am

If Red Wing is AA or in a Single class J. Pohl doesn't make the top ten. Broten facts- played with brother Aaron and "Butsy" Erickson. Little brother Paul graduated six years later so they all didn't play together. No state title. Phil Housley great no state title. Henry Boucha fabulous no state title. John Mayasich numerous state titles and all the important records he's the man. As for goaltenders someone mentioned Goerhing compare his stats to Ikola's and he doesn't come close. Richard Roth is a close second to Willard. <p></p><i></i>

joe lulic

the best

Post by joe lulic » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:09 am

It is difficult to compare players from different eras. Mayasich was the most dominant player ever. His stats are incredible. But there was a limited amount of competition back then. If he played when Housley played would he have been as dominant? Certainly not. Mayasich wasnt drafted in the first round while in high school. Housley had NHL skill while in high school. He was the best we have ever had while in high school. The fact that Broten played on a lot of good teams after high school doesnt make him the best high school player, although he is a close second, in my opinion. <p></p><i></i>

rustyblade

the best?

Post by rustyblade » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:03 pm

Well of course Mayasich would not be drafted out of H.S, when the NHL consisted of 6 teams. We will never know if Housley would have been drafted out of H.S., had there been just 6 teams. This is great discussion, and I still vote for Broten. He was simply remarkable in all skill areas of the game. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Re: the best?

Post by JLS 81 » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:20 pm

rustyblade,<br>right on with Brots. The guy was a majician with the puck and helped set up Aaron and Butsy's throughout high school career, total package in a high school player. Erickson, A. Broton, N. Broton are still the best line ever to lace em up in Minnesota High School hockey. I cannot knock Housley at all for being someones number one, the guy is a phenom. <p></p><i></i>

joe lulic

the best

Post by joe lulic » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:50 pm

Sure there were only 6 teams when Mayasich played but there werent nearly as many quality players as when Housley was drafted. I dont know if the ratio was the same but I do know that the NHL scouts and Scotty Bowman had a higher opinion of Housley while he was in high school than of Broten or any other high school player. They make mistakes but If an opinion of a player is backed by the experts,who make their living at it, it must have some merit. <p></p><i></i>

rams1981

Re: the best

Post by rams1981 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:20 am

I picked Mayasich because of his total dominance in his era-players like that probably could dominate in any era-give him TUUK blades and a curved stick and he may have been even better. joe lulic just curious Brots graduated in '78 and Housley graduated in '81 you say you KNOW that NHL Scouts had a higher opinion of Housley than of Neal with four years difference that's a bold statement to make. By the way what happened to Housley's Packers the team with 6 D-1 players besides himself, they didn't get the job done at the Civic Center, I believe they finished third. We went two and out-Rustyblades was the defensive coach at the time. <p></p><i></i>

gran79

Re: the best

Post by gran79 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:04 am

Neal Broten - would dominate in any era<br>Henry Boucha- Wow!<br>Mark Pavelich- Surprised his name has not been mentioned<br>Steve Christoff- Carried Richfield to the title game in 76<br>Phil Housley- Never did see him play in H.S., but heard he was something to watch. A plus here, he's still in the N.H.L. <p></p><i></i>