Elite League

jsnipe7

Elite League

Post by jsnipe7 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:36 pm

What happend, did anyone watch elite league, whats going on, fill me in... <p></p><i></i>

mnhshock29

hs elite hockey

Post by mnhshock29 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:02 pm

The SE team won all three of its games in GR. Matt Lundin was outstanding, stopping 68 of 69. Casey Parenteau, Justin Bostrom and Sam Kelly all had good weekends for the NE team in Bloomington. SW had outstanding performances from its Blake kids (Rob Page-1g,3a; Will Engasser-2g,3a; JT Wyman-3g,2a; Andrew Schremp-1g,2a). That team went 2-1 in GR. Brent Olson (LOW) had 5 pts, so did Shea Walters (Hibbing). Anders Olson (Edina) and Logan Wenzel (Mankato East) also had 3 goal weekends in GR. Not sure of the final point totals in Bloomington. Keep checking www.hselitehockey.com for more details. <p></p><i></i>

Whatwillwork

Post by Whatwillwork » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:44 am

Next Saturday morning Shattuck is playing Team SW at 10 am New Hope arena. I've caught a couple of games at BIG, pretty decent hockey. <p></p><i></i>

hockeykid03

Re: hs elite hockey

Post by hockeykid03 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:49 am

This Lundin goalie played out of his mind. He had three shutouts this weekend. I played against him the second game and we couldn't score against him. He has 4 shutout games going in a row. <p></p><i></i>

hockeyaddict

Re: hs elite hockey

Post by hockeyaddict » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:01 pm

Who does Lundin play for? Must be hot if non of those guys can light him up. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Apple Valley

Post by JLS 81 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:09 pm

He plays for Apple Valley and is one good reason for their solid season last year. <p></p><i></i>

jsnipe7

Re: Elite League

Post by jsnipe7 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:05 pm

Who looked the best for forwards and D? <p></p><i></i>

hockeyhair2

Elite weekend

Post by hockeyhair2 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:46 pm

I saw 3 games this weekend in Bloomington and saw 1 good one, one poor game and 1 blow out. Team ND has goalies, couple of Def. and next to no forwards. I understand they were short with injuries, other commitments and such, But they were awful. At least one of the goalies is from Minnesota and he will get a lot of quality shots each game. The other mn players on the team are the top ones on the team. It is a shame that some Mn. players have to stay home from this experience and ND players can be in it along with the Mn. players on the team have to suffer through the elite league and get discouraged. As far as NW and NE both have solid teams with good goalies, Def and Forwards. They will be able to compete with anyone in the league. Players that stood out for me were The centenial defense on NE and all the forwards are the strength of the team. The NW team has very good goaltenders and the kids from Breck and Meinz impressed me. One concern that I had watching is it seems there were too many kids on the team and in talking with a few parents the "every week end" committment could be resolved by letting some of the kids take off a week end or two during the season. But with that said this is a great opportunity for these players not only to play but meet one another from other area's. I wish this was around in the early '90's when I played. <p></p><i></i>

hocke101

Elite

Post by hocke101 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:33 pm

From what I know they do allow kids to miss a few games for homecoming or other sports. I think smaller teams would be nice but with the long games I havent heard many complaints. I think that it will be fun to see how the teams progress. I also think it is a lot more even than it was last year. <p></p><i></i>

Sioux Fan

Re: Elite

Post by Sioux Fan » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:28 pm

Way to Go Logan! How did our other two So MN guys do?<br><br>Hovick and Roberts....?<br><br>CC has 4 of my former guys on their roster right now. <br><br>I guess that says a little about the area.<br><br>I think we can do better than North Dakota. Maybe they could call us team Iowa or something and let us in a tourney or two.<br><br><br>Just kidding they are doing a great job with this Elite League. <p>Hockey Nut in So. MN</p><i></i>

Whatwillwork

question

Post by Whatwillwork » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:18 am

So, are the players able to play football and participate in the Elite league? Is that part of the reason that Section 1 has so few players in this league? <p></p><i></i>

hocke101

Football

Post by hocke101 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:02 pm

Yes the players can play football and play in the league. That was one thing they made sure to include when they put the league together to keep the whole high school experience while still playing good hockey. I know Gunderson on NE is really big into football and just tells the coach the games he can't make for elite and they are fine with it. I think section one is just a little weaker as far as depth while they do have very good top end players. Losing a few to juniors also lowered their numbers I think. <p></p><i></i>

onedogtoomany

Re: question

Post by onedogtoomany » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:06 pm

The Elite League schedule does work ok for varsity football players. There are many guys in the league who play football friday night and then 3 hockey games on the weekend. Some varsity football coaches have mandatory practices Sat mornings so those guys might miss the early Sat Elite game. <br><br>It does not work as well for soccer players. They have games on Saturdays so they miss more Elite games. I think most of the Elite coaches are fine with these fall sport athletes missing a few games as "excused absences". Homecoming dances are not excused absences on most teams.<br><br>Overall, I think they should reduce the roster sizes and add more Minnesota teams to the league. As you can see by the standings, Thunder Bay, ND and Team Wisconsin to a certain extent are the weaker teams in the league. Why not give more MN kids a chance to play and the existing "elite" players more ice time with smaller rosters? <p></p><i></i>

Whatwillwork

Post by Whatwillwork » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:13 pm

I don't see why they can't just add a team or two regardless of ND and Wisconsin having teams in the league. The more players that want to play, the better the hockey will be during the HS season. <p></p><i></i>

hocke101

More teams

Post by hocke101 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:11 pm

I am sure there are other players that would want to be in the league but I think it would water down the talent and the "elite" part. It is the same reason that the USHL does not want to expand too much because it would eventually lower the prestige of the league. Another reason not to expand is to keep the price of the league down since it is cheep for the players and there is only so much money that they can get out of sponsors which is already and issue every year. I think it gives border line kids something to work for and keeps the talent pool at a higher level. <p></p><i></i>

mnhockey19

ELITE LEAGUE

Post by mnhockey19 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:40 pm

TESTING <p></p><i></i>

mnhockey19

ELITE LEAGUE

Post by mnhockey19 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:46 pm

new user just testing to make sure it worked. anyways, players miss every weekend. generally the first 2-3 weeks are the most attended by players. however, as the season progresses players are hurt, have homecoming, academic problems or other conflicts. by the end of the season each team has lost 2-4 players. that's the main reason why there are 4 lines on each team. <p></p><i></i>

jsnipe7

Re: Elite League

Post by jsnipe7 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:06 am

Well Elite League posted there points today.<br>What are your thoughts on the tops players?<br><br> <br>Goals<br>John&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Swanson&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team NW&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp St. Cloud Tech&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br>Sam&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Kelly&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team NE&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Hill Murray&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br>Anders&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Olson&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team SW&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Edina&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br><br>Assists<br>Brian&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Connelly&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team SW&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Bloomington Jefferson 6<br>Sam&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Kelly&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team NE&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Hill Murray&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br>Rob&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Page&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team SW&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Blake&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br><br>Total Points G A Pts<br> <br> <br>John&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Swanson&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team NW&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp St. Cloud Tech&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 9&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br>Sam&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Kelly&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team NE&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Hill Murray&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 9&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br>Nick&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Deutz&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team North&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Moorhead&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 8&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br>Shea&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Walters&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Team North&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Hibbing&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 8&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <br> <p></p><i></i>

hockeyprince

hocke101: more teams

Post by hockeyprince » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:18 am

While you might be right about the USHL not wanting to expand to much because of price, I have to wonder about your reasoning behind saying more teams would water down the talent. I have been keeping track of and attending some of these so called "elite" games, and off the top of my head, I can think of many many many players, north and south, that are even better than those playing in this "elite" league. I don't want to take away from the people who really deserve to be there, however there are a countless number of guys playing in this "elite" league because of word of mouth and parents and other adults promoting them. <br> <p></p><i></i>

mnhockey19

ELITE PLAYERS

Post by mnhockey19 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:20 am

the majority of the players in the league should be there. there are a few kids that are borderline. however, after the definite "elite" players there are a lot of "good" players in the state. i don't believe the league is missing many of the "elite" players. hockeyprince, if you believe that the league did miss some players, i'm curious to know who those players are? <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Elite Hockey

Post by JLS 81 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:37 am

Elite hockey organization has done a darn good job in two years of managing the program. I have heard that the number of kids jumping to Juniors has decreased by quite a large margin. If that is true, than perhaps Elite league program is part of that success of keeping kids close to home and playing with their respective teams in the winter high school season. While it can be said that "elite" is not "elite" as opinions go I am not certain these kids deserve the rap of not qualified to play at this level. The games I have seen this year and last have been very good tempo and I have to think it is helping the better players a lot. The ice sheet looks pretty small out there for all the players, it has been very fast hockey and reaction time is instant.<br>Give this group of kids two more weekends of play to really hit their stride and you will see very great hockey. Heck it is entertaining now. My only gripe with elite program is I would like to see one more Minnesota team represented from southern Minnesota. <p></p><i></i>

rustyblade

"Elite"??

Post by rustyblade » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:19 am

I have said many times that once you put the title "elite" on players you are going to have repercussions somewhere. Peewees, Bantams, H.S. coaches all have to deal with players who go and play on "elite" teams and then face the reality that their "elite" player is on the 2nd line locally. <br><br>Why don't they just call it a Fall League and let the so called "elite" players play on it! I think the league itself is just fine. It gives players a chance to further develop their "elite" potential. <p></p><i></i>

OnLooker 05

Absolutely

Post by OnLooker 05 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:02 pm

The whole problem with the "Elite League" is the freakin word "elite". Some people are hung up on the fact that simply because the word is there, that <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>all</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> of the players are elite. That is simply not fair to either the players that are playing, or the players that are <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>not</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> participating. It is ignorant to think that all of the so-called elite players are the only ones that are able to play. We constantly read on this site and others about how the kids need more ice time. Well, this "fall league", like it simply should be called, is in place to provide that. The kids that are fortunate enough to have the time and the resources that are necessary to take part are benefitting greatly. It is parents and 'fans' of the word "elite" that are the problem because they get to brag to the guy next door that their kid played on an "elite" team this fall. Big fricken deal. <p></p><i></i>

mnhockey19

IT'S A NAME

Post by mnhockey19 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:22 pm

a naming session would be a good thing. but let's remember, it's about the playersm not the name. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Elite

Post by JLS 81 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:51 pm

Point taken...the term elite has been thrown around all to often from Mites to High School. Still I think most avid hockey people see it as a high school develpoment league. With focus on making kids better to take the next step in their hockey career. <p></p><i></i>