2 biggest rivals in the state ???

coach

Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake

Post by coach » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:33 am

Everybody has a rival. But none is better in the last 20 years than Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake!<br><br>Some of you youngsters forget how good Hill was in the 80's. Hill won something like 12 section final games in a row and many of those were against WBL or had ended WBL's season a game before. Not to mention WBL's state tourney struggles, they just haven't been able to get the edge on Hill. But they try like heck.<br><br>In the mid 80's a HM vs. WBL game at the Met Center was the largest crowd that arena saw all season other than the North Stars vs. Blackhawks newyears night match up. When 2 high school teams can nearly sell out a pro arena in a non post season, game thats a rivalry.<br><br>I think that some new rivalrys in the making will surpass this match up someday. But not anytime soon.<br><br>WBL has never been shy about facing Hill like some public schools are when it comes to playing a top private school in their area. I give WBL alot of credit. They are always up for a great challenge and a rivalry. One or the other seems to go to state every year. These are great programs.<br><br>No disrespect to other rivalrys, I think minnesota high school hockey has probably the best rivalrys of all. I love hearing about Grand Rapids, Greenway.....Jefferson, Kennedy.....Blake, Breck.......East, Cloquet.... and many others. Still, their is none better than Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake.<br> <p></p><i></i>

ptown tigers

Trophies

Post by ptown tigers » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:11 am

Do alot of teams have trophies for their rivalries? The Princeton vs. Cambridge rivalry is not classic, or long term but there is pride and The Rusty Skates Trophey, Its a mounted old pair of skates, any other rivalries have trophies <p>Good Teams Would be Nothin without Good Water.....</p><i></i>

rustyblade

rivalry trophies

Post by rustyblade » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:52 am

Roseau/ St. Paul Johnson had the Brown Jug. Scores are written on it and the years played. I believe it still sits proudly in the Rams Trophy Case at Memorial Arena. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

White Bear

Post by JLS 81 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:22 am

Good comments but you must remember White Bear is a very big geographic location. So due to its size has very large numbers in the youth through high school program to draw from. Hard to paint White Bear as an underdog when (much like Anoka, Eden Prarie etc.) the teams have such large amounts of kids to choose from. Granted it is probably the best rivalry I have seen in the metro for certain. Aldridge arena is packed for those games. <p></p><i></i>

rams1981

Rams - Govs

Post by rams1981 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:45 pm

I thought the Roseau - St. Paul Johnson series was called the "Kaffee Cup" and was originated by Bernie Burgraff. <p></p><i></i>