State of the game??

crown12

Re: Nice one fran

Post by crown12 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:17 pm

If you played D1 in the early 80S to now you would have played clutch and grab. Or you sat and only got to practice with the team. <p></p><i></i>

puckhead63

Re: Nice one fran

Post by puckhead63 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:57 pm

I'm sorry - did I say that I didn't play clutch and grab? Being a smaller player, I relied on speed. I just never enjoyed the big slow players that couldn't keep up trying to slow me down with their stick. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub33.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUser ... khead63</A> at: 1/1/04 6:01 pm<br></i>

joe lulic

Re: the game

Post by joe lulic » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:58 am

I agree with shutouts comments about the trap. Checking is a lost art.<br><br>I dont agree with those who blame the facemask for the current style of play. There were a lot of broken noses, missing teeth, and cut up faces back in the "good old days". Play was constantly stopped because of facial bleeding.Take a good look at the faces of some of the old timers. Keep the masks and call the penalty, if its there. <br><br>I think the way the game is played today is good. What I miss most is the truly dominant player. But we traded that in for everybody being good nowadays. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

Where is the Dominant Player?

Post by JLS 81 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:10 am

Joe,<br>What has eclipsed the dominant player era in your opinion? Is it the fact that kids have increased size strength, speed, ability in the modern era of year round hockey. I think so, as off season training centers and power skating schools, wight training and nutrition the games overall speed has increased. Is it the stick work that has nuetralized the dominant player? Lack of rink rat creativity (by and large) thus north-south players? I would have to say a little of all the above. <p></p><i></i>

JLS 81

More Bandwidth

Post by JLS 81 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:32 am

Also we were in the locker room talking about this just the other night. Gone are the days of outdoor rink activity, the late 1960's through the 1970's produced very skilled Minnesota hockey players. Rinks from Rochester to Roseau were filled with skaters from 5 to 50 who played and had fun crafting the game they loved. Now what is most lost on the kids is this. Hockey is a corporate game designed to fill coffers from power sakting schools to off season training centers. The game has diminished to "getting the edge" over the next guy even if you are 10 years old. Parents yell and scream and constantly drill 8,9 10 year olds for not skating right doing this wrong and that wrong. Kids are looking over their shoulder for fear of doing something wrong...no wonder they lack creativity on the ice.<br>I know we can never go back to the so called good old days. But by and large I think kids are missing the chance to cut loose have fun on the ice and craft their game. Every kid in my opinion deserves that experience and sad to say the young ones are missing out on a whole dimension of hockey that is missing from todays corporate game. We parents take this game way to serious (coaches can affirm this) at the expense of the young ones having fun and crafting their game. Take a walk around a few rinks....you old timers know what I am talking about. <p></p><i></i>

joe lulic

Re: Where is the Dominant Player?

Post by joe lulic » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:21 am

JLS81, <br>I think the single most significant factor is the broad based deveopment that has occurred. All of these kids can skate and are big. Defensemen these days are just big forwards who skate backwards. They are skilled and can skate. Even the little guys are strong because of the mandatory weight training that has occurred. As we speak, my kid is in the weight room. <br><br>I dont like to mention names of high school kids so I will use Marion Gaborick as an example. He is so good. He is so skilled. He is fast, smart, he is unbelievable. You can pick him out right away. But he cant dominate because everyone else is good too. <br>Same thing in the high school game. You can see who the top players are but they dont dominate they way Mayasich, Woog,Boucha, Broten and Housley did because the other team wont let them. <br><br>Stick work wasnt invented by the modern player. Neither was clutching and grabbing. Plenty of that went on in the "era of the dominant player." <p></p><i></i>

Dafreak0

hockey

Post by Dafreak0 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:42 am

If you guys don't like the grabbing, holding, hooking and so on, tough, deal with it. Thats a part of hockey and if you don't like it you can go play basketball or something. The game would be so boring if the refs tightened up their calls. You have to let the players play. <p></p><i></i>

joe lulic

Re: More Bandwidth

Post by joe lulic » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:05 am

JLS81, You are right on. I dont like it either. I just spent 60 bucks on 3 Total Hockey sessions (Total Hockey is like Acceleration Minnesota). Those guys do a great job but why didnt I just drop him off at the rink, 6 blocks from my house? (Or maybe he could walk...... nah)<br><br>You are right, we take it way too seriously. BUT, I think we have better players because of it. I hate to say it but I think we are stuck with that.<br> Kids ought to go to the rink more but this is the 3rd year in a row that we dont have any ice because of the bleeping weather. Do we have winter anymore? So, my youngest, who is a Peewee hasnt been conditioned to go to the rink. It has been like Miami around here for most of his "hockey life"<br><br><br>I agree with what you say but the 'corporate' mentality works. We have 200 kids who have D1 scholarships. We didnt do that by relying on the weather or kids figuring out how to do it at the rink on their own. <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub33.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUser ... elulic>joe lulic</A> at: 1/2/04 11:11 am<br></i>

fran

Re: More Bandwidth

Post by fran » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:50 pm

In my opinion it is no that players are so much better now than years past, it is systems that have cluttered up so much of the ice. Kids have a hell of a time being creative because they arent allowed to be. <p></p><i></i>

shutout

state of the game

Post by shutout » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:14 pm

I agree 100% with those that say the kids do not rink rat anymore, and Joe is right on we do not have winter anymore. There are two problems that I see causing this:<br><br>1. The kids have too many other options, play station, computers, satelite t.v., video games etc. ( I had 4 channels on my t.v. when I was a kid) that's why i spent 8 hours each weekend day and a couple hours each weekday at the rink.<br><br>2. There should be at least 1 outdoor rink attatched to every ice arena. This rink could be zambonied 3 or 4 times a day and it would be for rink rat hockey only. Then when your kids have their one hour practice on Saturday you could have them stay a few extra hours at the outdoor rink and have fun. <p></p><i></i>