FIGHTING

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should fighting be allowed in the NHL

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 30

formerallstar

FIGHTING

Post by formerallstar »

there was an article about how the Vice President wants to look into putting a stop to fighting in the NHL in todays Star Tribune. This has really been controversial since the lockout. What are your guys' thoughts?
'07 STATE CONTEST WINNER
'07 COLLEGE TOURNEY WINNER
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

This is an interesting topic. I have been reading The Code. It explains that it is not usually free for all battle when fights happen in the NHL. There are unwritten rules to engagement. Such as if a guy has been clearly beaten, the fight is over. I think we saw that with the Orr Fedourak fight. As soon as Fedourak crumpled Orr let go.
Last night there was a lot of late hits and some guys taking runs. Ivanans laid a cheap shot on Smith right after Burns was run into the boards from behind. Boogaard's job is to protect the smaller non-fighters. That is what he did.
It also explains why you will seldom see a "heavyweight" fight a "lightweight"
Fighting in the NHL is a way for the players to police themselves. I do not condone fighting in the youth levels but in the NHL I think it is an important aspect of the game.
formerallstar

Post by formerallstar »

very well put state champ 97! I also do believe that if fighting is taken out of the game, you will start seeing alot more Chris Simon incidents cuz players will use that for their revenge
'07 STATE CONTEST WINNER
'07 COLLEGE TOURNEY WINNER
power92

Post by power92 »

The Vice Pres. of the U.S.?Cheaney? If thats the case, I think he needs to worry about fighting going on in other places. The NHL has been fine for years with fighting. Just my 2 cents.
....Can't thank you enough for the time.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

power92 wrote:The Vice Pres. of the U.S.?Cheaney? If thats the case, I think he needs to worry about fighting going on in other places. The NHL has been fine for years with fighting. Just my 2 cents.
Pretty sure it was the VP of the NHL or something affiliated with the NHL.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
LovetheGlove1

Post by LovetheGlove1 »

i think that fighting is one of the key aspects of the game. it draws crowds. there are some people that are like i dont really like hockey, but i will go to a game to see a fight. i would say that 75 percent of the game is nice plays and playmakers. the other 25% is people like boogaard making a statement on the ice saying that the Wild are tougher than the other team for example. i also think that the instigator rule should be taken out. If parents dont want there kids to see violence on the ice, they should justblock all the channels on the tv, because most shows have much more violence. Hockey has been a sport where you can go pro with smartness on the ice and be a goon. or you can be a superstar. The game has been like this forever it shouldnt change now. fights make the game
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

always will be and should be allowed, anybody that knows anything about hockey at that level will agree