Nick Leddy

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WB6162

Re: Leddy

Post by WB6162 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:A very wise choice by Nick Leddy to leave the Gophers and turn professional. There is no development going on at 'da U'. Until Dean Blais is hired kids, stay the hell away!!
Most college hockey is a joke along with most Minnesota High School hockey. The juniors is the only way to go.

PuckU126

Re: Leddy

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:20 am

WB6162 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:A very wise choice by Nick Leddy to leave the Gophers and turn professional. There is no development going on at 'da U'. Until Dean Blais is hired kids, stay the hell away!!
Most college hockey is a joke along with most Minnesota High School hockey. The juniors is the only way to go.
:roll:

8)
The Puck
LGW

Sats81

Re: Nick Leddy

Post by Sats81 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 am

mulefarm wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:Nick Leddy is making his NHL debut tonight for Chicago. I believe that is the fastest a players has gone from HS Hockey to the NHL in recent memory. Congrats to Nick!
Great for Leddy!!!! How incredible was Housley to go directly from high school to the Buffalo Sabres?
Incredible, but it was a different time. Leddy has really matured nicely and should be a very solid d-man in the show for a long time.

blueliner2day

Post by blueliner2day » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Sats81 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:Nick Leddy is making his NHL debut tonight for Chicago. I believe that is the fastest a players has gone from HS Hockey to the NHL in recent memory. Congrats to Nick!
Great for Leddy!!!! How incredible was Housley to go directly from high school to the Buffalo Sabres?
Incredible, but it was a different time. Leddy has really matured nicely and should be a very solid d-man in the show for a long time.
Sorry to rain on bandwagon, but I disagree. When I see highlight reels of goals scored on the Hawks, there is usually a #8 figuring prominently in the reel. He leads the Hawks with a -13. Granted he has 30+ points but only 3 from goals. Can't be considered in the same category of the likes of Karlsson, Pietrangelo, esp with that -13 hanging around his neck and big avoidance to any type of contact, but he's way ahead of where he would be if he stayed with the Goofs

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

blueliner2day wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Sorry to rain on bandwagon, but I disagree. When I see highlight reels of goals scored on the Hawks, there is usually a #8 figuring prominently in the reel. He leads the Hawks with a -13. Granted he has 30+ points but only 3 from goals. Can't be considered in the same category of the likes of Karlsson, Pietrangelo, esp with that -13 hanging around his neck and big avoidance to any type of contact, but he's way ahead of where he would be if he stayed with the Goofs
He's also only 3 years removed from HS hockey pal. "Rain on the bandwagon" all you want. 30 pts as a d-man in the NHL when you are 20 yrs old, is pretty damn good. Karlsson is terrible in his own zone and is NOT physical either. Not sure what games you watch. Obviously there are some people who know a hell of a lot more about hockey than you do who think he is just fine.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Scotty Bowman compared Nick Leddy to Phil Housely. At the moment, I agree with Scotty's assessment, especially since Leddy and Housley both play as OFD, which are known to have average or poor +/- statistics.

Housley's stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=2374

Considering the TYPE of defenseman he is and his age/experience, I think he's doing fine. He'll improve his +/- over time, that's if Chicago maintains having a solid defensive core and proper goaltending. In addition, he'll keep improving his production offensively in the future.

8)
The Puck
LGW

blueliner2day

Post by blueliner2day » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Sats81 wrote:
blueliner2day wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
He's also only 3 years removed from HS hockey pal. "Rain on the bandwagon" all you want. 30 pts as a d-man in the NHL when you are 20 yrs old, is pretty damn good. Karlsson is terrible in his own zone and is NOT physical either. Not sure what games you watch. Obviously there are some people who know a hell of a lot more about hockey than you do who think he is just fine.
Relax Sats - I'm not ready to crown him King of the World and don't care if he's Housley reincarnate or who ordained him that. In another few years are you going to be chirping he's only out of high school from 5 years or 10? Karlsson is a +16 and the same age as Leddy and Petrangelo is a year older and more solid as well. He'll have to be just fine or he won't be playing no big deal.

blueliner2day

Post by blueliner2day » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 pm

PuckU126 wrote:Scotty Bowman compared Nick Leddy to Phil Housely. At the moment, I agree with Scotty's assessment, especially since Leddy and Housley both play as OFD, which are known to have average or poor +/- statistics.

Housley's stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=2374

Considering the TYPE of defenseman he is and his age/experience, I think he's doing fine. He'll improve his +/- over time, that's if Chicago maintains having a solid defensive core and proper goaltending. In addition, he'll keep improving his production offensively in the future.

8)
I agree with the average or poor +/- stats for his type of play and his assists are top notch - however he needs to be stronger physically and mentally. I don't know how many games I've sat through last year to actually hear Duncan Keith directing him where to go and you can hear it in the stands. At least he is playing on his own this year which shows he has matured. Now to work on the other part of being more tough physically and more confident in his abilities.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 am

blueliner2day wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
blueliner2day wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Relax Sats - I'm not ready to crown him King of the World and don't care if he's Housley reincarnate or who ordained him that. In another few years are you going to be chirping he's only out of high school from 5 years or 10? Karlsson is a +16 and the same age as Leddy and Petrangelo is a year older and more solid as well. He'll have to be just fine or he won't be playing no big deal.
Again, you are talking about a kid who only 3 yrs ago was playing in the HS hockey tourney. What do you expect? He is one of the best/fastest skaters in the show. Give him another year to mature physically and learn the mental part of how the NHL works.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 pm

And remember, he had a year with John Hill that delayed his development.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm

mulefarm wrote:And remember, he had a year with John Hill that delayed his development.
:lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW