Nathan McKinnon vs. MN Players

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cadets16

Nathan McKinnon vs. MN Players

Post by Cadets16 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:35 pm

This kid is just unreal. We think we have talent here, but this kid is a whole new level.

Do any Minnesotan high school players even come close to comparing?

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Define close? Tie their own skates? Wear Bauer skates? I don't see any first overall Minnesotans in the near future so is say no one is close at his age I watched him skate a few times at shattuck and his speed was great but he picked up an extra two gears with maturity. GB

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:47 pm

GoldenBear wrote:Define close? Tie their own skates? Wear Bauer skates? I don't see any first overall Minnesotans in the near future so is say no one is close at his age I watched him skate a few times at shattuck and his speed was great but he picked up an extra two gears with maturity. GB
I recall Cammratta out scoring him at SSM, but MacKinnon has come a long way since then. Not to mention, it was a MINNESOTAN who tallied four points tonight, not MacKinnon.

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:25 am

If you're gonna start a thread about someone, seems like maybe you oughta get his name spelled right . . . . . . . . . . . . After tonite, I'd bet more people know how to spell PARISE than MacKinnon !

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:55 am

Why is Cammaratta's name in this conversation. One player was the first overall pick, going to win the Calder, going to be the premier player of a franchise for a decade...the other will spend 3 more years at college, then 2 or3 in the AHL and then likely will surface in the NHL around 27 years old (see Marchant/Dejarnais) and probably end up contributing as a good player with an exceptional knack for putting the puck in the net. I've watched Camm since he was about 11 and the kid is, in Minnesota terms, a top end talent...but in world terms the two players don't belong in the same sentence today. 4 years ago at SSM, sure..today..no.
Amazing game last night, heck of an effort. Can't wait for the Wild to drop the AVS in Denver and get home in a week after surprising the Blackhawks at few times in Chicago.

TheSiouxSuck

Re: f

Post by TheSiouxSuck » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Tenoverpar wrote:Why is Cammaratta's name in this conversation. One player was the first overall pick, going to win the Calder, going to be the premier player of a franchise for a decade...the other will spend 3 more years at college, then 2 or3 in the AHL and then likely will surface in the NHL around 27 years old (see Marchant/Dejarnais) and probably end up contributing as a good player with an exceptional knack for putting the puck in the net. I've watched Camm since he was about 11 and the kid is, in Minnesota terms, a top end talent...but in world terms the two players don't belong in the same sentence today. 4 years ago at SSM, sure..today..no.
Amazing game last night, heck of an effort. Can't wait for the Wild to drop the AVS in Denver and get home in a week after surprising the Blackhawks at few times in Chicago.
One of those players also continued to grow into a 6 footer while the other stayed the same size. Totally changed their development trajectory. If Cammarata grows to be 6 feet tall there's no way he falls to the 3rd round.

In terms of MacKinnon, its sort of an unfair comparison. How many 18 year olds in recent memory have made the type of impact he's made in the NHL? He very well may be one of those talents that come along once every decade.

Minnesota continues to turn out quality NHL players year after year. And while we maybe havent put out someone along the likes of MacKinnon, Crosby, or Tavares that doesnt necessarily mean that what we're doing isnt working.

As far as down the pipeline? Paul Bittner is probably our best bet at a high pick in the next few years.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Which high school has been developing Paul Bittner?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu May 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Mack is amazing and could be one of those once in a decade players. Maybe the next Crosby level caliber. Lots of it due to speed and strength, especially for an 18 year old. Maybe genetics, I don't know his Dads background, or maybe great speed and strength coaching along the way. I tend to believe more genetics, since lots of top kids have great speed and strength training He seems to move and have instincts of a 25 year old. On the other hand, some of the Wild countermeasures were successful against him, and he made a few inexperienced errors during the series. Nothing like him in years in Minnesota H.S. that Ive seen in a long long time, but I never saw Bittner. ( How high did Bjugstad go in draft?) I shelled out the money for Avs game 4 not so much to watch the game in person, but to watch Mack in person.

sooyou

Post by sooyou » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

He's a first overall draft pick... no. HS Players don't compare