Hill-Murray?

CllgeHockey

Re: HM

Post by CllgeHockey » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:14 pm

You will all besurprised when O'brien becomes the starter at hill after a while.. hes calm in nets and makes saves look easy and leaves very little rebound.. his reason for leaving NSP is unknown but its not because he wouldnt of seen time <p></p><i></i>

nolookpassguy

Post by nolookpassguy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:15 pm

It's tough to compare Hill's hockey program today to 20 yrs ago. Kids aren't flocking to the school like they did back then & a major reason is the 2 class system and demographics. Back when only 8 schools went to the show more kids opted to leave their local programs for such an opportunity and enrolled at Hill. Also, the eastside of St. Paul (a major contributer to Hill's enrollment) has changed drastically over the past 20 yrs. The eastside produced many talented players over the yrs and many of these players ended up wearing green. Today the eastside is totally different and no longer the hockey hotbed.<br><br>Now you see kids deciding to stay in their area teams, some of which may be playing Class A. Also, you see programs like Centennial begin to emerge and kids are staying put there as well. I think Hill's results in the past few years are consistant with the level & depth of their talent. "Back in the day" HM would have sent 3 lines & 6 defense of equal talent on the ice. Now the depth isn't the same. Hill can expect to produce a competitive team year in & year out. Would we like to see them in the Tourney every year...sure. But the days of locking up a sectional final spot and having a legitimate shot at going to state every year just isn't there. <br><br>I just don't think it's realistic to throw all this at the feet of Lech. It would be like saying that White Bear Lake's high school program is a failure. They have arguably the largest & most successful youth hockey program in the state/country, yet they can't win a state title. By all accounts, they should dominate in high school with all those talented kids in thier feeder program. Is this the coaches fault? I think not. Alot of factors go into running a high school program & I think coaches get too much credit & take too much heat for the results. I think Hill will be competitive again this year & hope they get a few bounces and end up downtown St. Paul in March. If they do, I'm sure all the credit will go to the kids and Lech still will take the heat (from some) because he didn't go undefeated or blow more people out. Tough crowd. <p></p><i></i>

Hillfan

Post by Hillfan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:56 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>guentzel and pryor better start improving <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Ibleedgreen,<br><br>I'm sure you didn't see the scrimmages up north, but both players proved that they belong at the level and are easily better than Mercado was. Pryor played very well, much better then I ever thought he would, and Guentzel did well himself. At one point, he actually ended up walking a guy and putting in a nice goal.<br><br>Well I'm glad to see that a handful of hardworking seniors made the team. Their presence should really help this years squad out as far as team unity goes (something they lacked last year). <br><br>And as far as goalies go, don't ever go saying he's developing Phillippi just because it's his "neighbor". The kid is one of the most talented sophomore goalies in the state and deserves to be developed at this point in time. As far as McEnaney goes, you never know what could happen. So far he has been practicing with the varsity... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... Hillfan</A> at: 11/21/05 5:05 pm<br></i>

TG663303

Post by TG663303 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:07 pm

What was with Josh Carlson and Kyle Ronning last year? Both of them transferred over their senior years. Carlson ended up quiting partway through and Ronning became a fourth liner who practically never played. That decision just baffles me to this day. <p></p><i></i>

pucker33

Post by pucker33 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 pm

Carlson transfered over, because he wanted a chance to go to state and Lech took him because hes not that bad. However, Carlson left because he was not getting the desired playng time.<br><br>Ronning was taken for who knows why. It was clear to me that from day one, he was not going to see the ice as much as the other kids. Who knows what was going on there. <p></p><i></i>

MNBigDawg

WHAT?

Post by MNBigDawg » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:34 pm

nolook and other Lechner backers...please explain to me how you can stick up for a guy that cuts a kid that has worked his butt off in your program for 3 years. The final straw and the proof of his character is that he sent in a team preview to Let's Play Hockey with O'Brien listed and Scott not BEFORE tryouts were completed...ENOUGH SAID! <p></p><i></i>

Hillfan

Re: WHAT?

Post by Hillfan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:58 pm

Well you know I would have LOVED to have Mike on the team as much as you, MNBigDawg. The kid is great, but Lechner seemed that he wanted a change. It looks as though for some odd reason he couldn't find the trust in Mike last year, and that's basically why he was cut (yes it stinks big, I know). <br><br>I stick up for Lechner because look at the job he has. Also, look at how classy and good of a guy he is. He tries to take the players that are good people and students, and not just some trouble making, cocky, talented skaters (not saying it's Mike), so that he can be as successful as possible and show that character is an important part of getting through life. His style is good in other words.<br><br>Well, whatever Mike does hockey wise, I wish him the best of luck. <p></p><i></i>

Hillfan

Post by Hillfan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:14 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>how many seniors are honestly going to tranfer without a guarantee that they will make the team? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Well I'll name one instance. 3 years ago, a goalie transfered from St. Thomas Academy as a senior and tried to make the team, his name was Inmen(sp). What happened to him? He was cut.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>it will not happen as long as you allow parents to coach and influence decisions <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Prove it before you say it. Any evidence? Guentzel and Pryor are both players that <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>deserve</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> to be on that squad. In fact, Guentzel will for sure be an important role this year. He's better than you think he is.<br><br>And finally, whoever did see that Let's Play Hockey, I'd like proof. I honestly couldn't see Lechner POSTING rosters before tryouts were done. Hey, wouldn't the players have seen the teams before they were picked? Well odd, I never heard anything about that... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... Hillfan</A> at: 11/21/05 7:44 pm<br></i>

Hockeyisthebest21

LPH

Post by Hockeyisthebest21 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:02 pm

Then go out and read it, it is not hard, figure it out <p></p><i></i>

hillhockey

Post by hillhockey » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:04 pm

ibleedgreen,<br>please, you are entitled to your own opinion, but whether you like it or not, some of us <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>are</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> loyal to lechner because he <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>is</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> a pretty classy person. do you hold something against him? <br><br>i do not want to start a fight, but sometimes one bad instance can taint a person's image of another. this seems to me like this might be one of those cases. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... lhockey</A> at: 11/28/05 6:27 pm<br></i>

pucker33

Post by pucker33 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:03 pm

I'm sorry hillhockey, but its not just one bad instance that lechner has been in that is giving him a bad name. Does anyone remember a kid by the name of Matt Johnson? Sure he might not have been the greatest player, but he would work his butt off for the team and score goals or set people up. Well last year, he was cut to make room for a bench warmer by the name of Ronning. There is a reason why there are more hockey players leaving then there are coming in. Thats all i'm gonna say. <p></p><i></i>

Hillfan

Post by Hillfan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:05 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>There is a reason why there are more hockey players leaving then there are coming in.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Not trying to argue here or anything, but who has left? I know of one player, Josh Carlson, who felt that he deserved top line even though he didn't deserve it and left. <p></p><i></i>

pucker33

Players leaving/quiting

Post by pucker33 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:26 pm

I'm sorry, I should have said leave/quit.<br><br>Well I don't know if these names count, but: Mike Scott (thought about leaving, until Dawson left), Matt Guetzke quit because of lechner (don't know how to spell his last name, sorry), Joe Dawson, Owen Collet (either fresh/soph goalie from wbl), Luberts. Craig Mielke left hill as a freshmen because of lechner. Pepper Skytte left because of playing time and lechner. <br><br>Matt Shaunessy quit last year sounded like he wasn't coming back. I'm surprised to see that he's playing again under lechner (wonder how long that will last).<br><br>I can't think of any more right now, i'm sure there are more that i'm just not thinking of right now, if anyone else can add to this, i'm all ears. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ucker33</A> at: 11/22/05 10:31 am<br></i>

hillhockey

Re: Players leaving/quiting

Post by hillhockey » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:24 pm

Lechner is not the reason Luberts left Hill. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... lhockey</A> at: 11/28/05 3:25 pm<br></i>

brickwall33

Ibleedgreen

Post by brickwall33 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:59 am

I saw the post, nice class, just what Hill followers want to be looked upon as. Truly this subject has been debated over and over. Kids get cut life moves on. The main thing is, is this team is going to be damn good this year. All the potential is there. So why don't people stop bickering about who go cut and turn to the season. <p></p><i></i>

Ibleedgreen

Post by Ibleedgreen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:13 am

brickwall<br><br>glad you had a chance to read the post before the sensors protected you, hillfan, and nolook from the truth. it's funny how opinions can be posted here and things stated as if they are fact when there is nothing factual about alot of it and those posts aren't deleted. you guys keep looking through the rose colored glasses and be happy as long as your buddy, kid, whomever get the nod over kids equally as deserving and then pretend that everything is perfect. <p></p><i></i>

JJCartune

Re: Luberts

Post by JJCartune » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:18 am

<br> <br>Re: Players leaving/quiting<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br> Luberts did not leave because of Lechner. There were other...um..issues that did not sit well with pro-life Catholics at the school. Same reason he left Tartan. <br><br><br>Speaking of "nice class"- great innuendo hillhockey. Let's keep our sticks on the facts. Players steal and they have to sit out a practice. A head coach is allowed to have his own kid on a very competitive team because he can. These are facts that put Lech character in question. <p></p><i></i>

brickwall33

Hmm...

Post by brickwall33 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:37 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>whomever get the nod over kids equally as deserving and then pretend that everything is perfect.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Kids that are equally as deserving..... doesn't that mean that the kids that make the team are as equally deserving as those who got cut. From that statement it does. <br><br>For what hillhockey said, that was not needed on a board. Personal information does not need to be brought up like that. It should never happen. <br><br>Ibleedgreen<br><br>Let me tell you something, I am good friends with Mike Scott. If it were my choice that kid would be on the team, no questions asked. I question why O'brien was taken over Mike, but the fact is I have yet to see O'Brien play so I can not come to conclusions without seeing things for myself. O'Brien better show me something when I see this kid play. <br><br>Ibleedgreen, protect me from the truth.... How do you know the truth. Were you part of the program. What's you story. Your information comes from parents, gossip and rumors unless you verify otherwise. How is that credible information that leads to truth?? If you don't like how the program is run why do you bleed green? Why go to games and follow the team if you don't like how it is run? Why support something you are against? What's your story. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... kwall33</A> at: 11/22/05 10:38 am<br></i>

Ibleedgreen

Mmm..........????

Post by Ibleedgreen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:21 am

brickwall -<br><br>first of all, you are not intimidating me with your aggressive and confrontational tone. this is not personal to you, hillfan, or nolook. these are opinions that are based on facts. you kind of lost me in trying to rebut my last post. i will try to respond to your questions/critiques of my views.<br><br>- again, i do believe strongly that mike scott should be the backup goalie based on his two previous seasons with the varsity unless o'brien is clearly better which i admittedly do not know<br><br>- the identity of hillhockey is well known and is the reason he proclaims to have all the information and is so supportive of lech<br><br>- if you are truly mike scott's friend then in my opinion you have a funny way of showing it. personally i would like my friends to be more supportive and empathetic towards me if it appeared that i had not been treated fairly and given an honest opportunity to make the team<br><br>- i don't really think you'll have much say in what o'brien does or doesn't show you. he will not play enough for you to judge anyway<br><br>- my views are based on facts and personal experience and have nothing to do with gossip or rumors.<br><br>- most of us are viking fans through and through yet most of us get fed up with the antics. that doesn't mean we stop being viking fans -- or pioneer fans either<br><br>these posts are not meant to be attacks as much as they are to express our views and debate our individual points. let's try and keep that thought in mind (me too) as we participate in these discussions. <p></p><i></i>

nolookpassguy

Re: Hmm...

Post by nolookpassguy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:38 am

Bottom line is that in most programs coaches know what their team will look like prior to tryouts. They know who is coming back from the previous year, who was on the JV, and who is coming in. The final few spots are then selected during the tryouts. Lets say the final 3 spots involve 6 kids. Anyway you "slice" it, 3 kids/parents/family/friends of the kids not selected are gonna be hurt/disappointed. For the underclassman who can play JV, they will say little for fear of being labled selfish and hope they make the team down the road. Seniors who get cut are usually more vocal because they don't care what the program thinks...they are done. <br><br>The reality is 3 people made it & 3 didn't. It's a no win situation for the coaches. Some will say they got robbed & the coaches are idiots and others will say great things because their kids made it. <br><br>Welcome to life folks. Some kids will not get accepted into certain colleges. Some kids may not get hired for certain positions. More people need to look at what they did, or what they can do to better themselves, rather than throw stones at the people making decisions. <br><br>Let's all enjoy the upcoming hockey season and enjoy the kid's efforts. <p></p><i></i>

Hockeyisthebest21

HM

Post by Hockeyisthebest21 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:46 am

It is true tryouts are for basically 6 kids in a program. But shouldn't have Scott been one of those 6 kids? It is clear that he should have been, and was given a chance from day one. When you release that O'Brien is on the roster before tryouts are over, lechner proved that Scott had no chance. That is what you call classless. <p></p><i></i>

brickwall33

d

Post by brickwall33 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:59 am

Has anyone seen this Let's Play Hockey? If so I would like to see the text from it. <p></p><i></i>

nolookpassguy

Post by nolookpassguy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:00 pm

Not real sure why Scott & all his supporters are surprised by the decision. I gotta believe some signs of discontent (whether real or percived) existed last year. The fact that he was replaced last year should have given people some idea that chances are he was not gonna make the club this year. I'm assuming the staff knew what they had in Scott & wanted to try a different option. If people thought he was a lock they were being nieve. <p></p><i></i>

hillhockey

Post by hillhockey » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:54 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Welcome to life folks. Some kids will not get accepted into certain colleges. Some kids may not get hired for certain positions. More people need to look at what they did, or what they can do to better themselves, rather than throw stones at the people making decisions.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>probably best statement made on this topic so far <p></p><i></i>

pucker33

Mmm..........????

Post by pucker33 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:45 pm

Brickwall and Hillfan<br><br>I have to agree with Ibreedgreen that about being "friends" with people like Mike Scott.<br><br>Brickwall33: If you were Scotts friend you would stick up for the kid, I know I do. You have seen O'brien play, he played for NSP. He didn't show me anything then, when they went through three goalies in just two periods (O'brien started that game).<br><br>Hillfan: You are probably the worst at this, you jump from goalie to goalie every year. You talk behind the backs of "your team" every year. During the middle of last year, you were talking trash about a goalie just because he struggled, anonther person you praised at the beginning of the year.<br><br>I'm surprised these kids don't come after you two (not meant as a death threat).<br><br> <p></p><i></i>