Hockey Night In Boston August 2005

RochHockeyDad

Hockey Night In Boston August 2005

Post by RochHockeyDad » Tue May 24, 2005 9:00 am

Who has played in this before? Is it good hockey? What colleges and junior team scouts have been there? Is it mostly junior teams and colleges from the east?<br><br>What is the interest level of players/parents in MN in fielding a team? <p></p><i></i>

timmyo

The Nominator

Post by timmyo » Tue May 24, 2005 10:58 am

I'll respond first, since I'm the guy who nominated all the players that have been invited.<br><br>My son played HNIB the summers before his junior and senior years. He had many contacts as a direct result of the showcase - some D-I, some D-III, some EJHL. Several of them then followed him in the Elite League and at other showcases. A couple even made special trips to MN to watch him further. There were lots of scouts at each HNIB game, primarily from the East Coast. Some of the schools are really high end academic schools - Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, that kind of school, which provide tremendous academic opportunity. But plenty of D-I schools were represented from each of the Eastern D-I leagues. The showcase was a good avenue to crack the East Coast college lists - there are a ton of schools that play D-I and alot of MN kids aren't aware of all the opportunity out there. <br><br>The hockey was pretty good. It's definiately East Coast hockey - skating and movement, without nearly as much hitting or banging in the corners as Minnesota hockey, but I found it to be pretty fast and crisp. It's summer showcase hockey - the kids aren't "teams" and they don't have time to practice systems, etc., so there's lots of individual play. That's what showcases are, though. It's primarily prep school players and includes some post-graduate prep or juniors kids, as well. The premium out there is on speed and skill, and I think it provides a good opportunity to be seen in a different setting by different sets of eyes, and it can be really beneficial for a MN kid that plays more of the Eastern style. <br><br>After my son played, I asked why more MN kids weren't invovled. The answer was that there was no MN point man. I offered to nominate some kids, and the Director agreed to create a Team MN with the kids accepting the invite to go directly to Boston. When my kid was nominated, we went to Ann Arbor, Mich for a tryout before being put on a Boston roster. The MN kids this year will go to Boston directly. <p></p><i></i>

war hock

hnib

Post by war hock » Tue May 24, 2005 5:44 pm

timmyo... can you explain more about the process and how the team gets narrowed down from the kids that were chosen. Also how long is it and how many total games do you play? Thanks <p></p><i></i>

Observer85

The Nominator

Post by Observer85 » Wed May 25, 2005 4:02 pm

Do you have any idea how this event differs from the other "scouting" events such as the recent Toronto prospects tourney that took place in late April? <p></p><i></i>

timmyo

HNIB process

Post by timmyo » Wed May 25, 2005 4:55 pm

Invitations were sent to 21 MN forwards, 14 MN D, and 5 MN goalies. The invitation included the names of all the MN kids invited. Every single MN kid that received an invitation is guaranteed a spot in the Boston festival, without having to go to any tryout. 12 forwards, 8 D and three goalies will comprise Team MN. If more than those numbers of MN kids respond to the invite, some will be placed on Team Midwest or Team Great Lakes in Boston. If not enough respond, some '05 seniors who are still looking for opportunities to play next year will be invited as post-grads, some additional underclassmen may be invited, or the roster will be filled out with kids from the June midwest tryout in Ann Arbor, Mich. <br><br>In my experience (my kid played in the Prospects tourney, too, so I can somewhat compare even if it's only an anecdotal account) is that more Eastern scouts actually show up to the HNIB festival. There were lots of D-I and D-III and lots of EJHL guys there the last two years. The tournament also lasts a little longer (Team MN practices in Boston on Sun, Aug 7, begins play that night, and plays 7 games guaranteed between Aug. 7 and Aug. 13 - they could play three more days depending on playoff results) so the scouts see more of each of the kids, as well. <p></p><i></i>

war hock

hnib

Post by war hock » Thu May 26, 2005 8:44 am

so by when do we have to respond? <p></p><i></i>

timmyo

respond before 5/31

Post by timmyo » Thu May 26, 2005 12:27 pm

Your invitation letter says respond before May 31. Send your yellow form and the $200 deposit, along with your publicity photo. <p></p><i></i>

Boston9900

Re: respond before 5/31

Post by Boston9900 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:21 pm

The competition is not good at all. Yes there are alot of scouts there but if you want to play against good players then that wouldnt be a very could tourny for you. <p></p><i></i>

RochHockeyDad

HNIB Boston9900

Post by RochHockeyDad » Thu May 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Boston 9900<br><br>Tell us more about what you know, your experience with the HNIB, etc. Have you played in the tournament? We'd love to hear more. Deadline for sending initial registration material/$ is NOW... <p></p><i></i>