Grand Rapids vs. Edina

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

A tough first rounder, who comes out on top?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Edina
44%
Grand Rapids
56%

Total votes: 126

scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

The north is hardly innocent. All you guys do is perpetuate stereotypes and use them to rip on people from Edina. Almost all people in Edina live like normal people and are not very well off. Sure, we have more than our share of rich parents and spoiled kids, however doesn't every community ahve a few people like that. That in no way represents Edina and the views and lifstyles of our community. Some people make a lot of money, yet still act the same as they did when they grew up in the small town with no money. Most parents make there kids earn most things.

In Edina, the way the athletes will be treated is no differently, than in Grand Rapids. The stakes are the same for a player from Grand Rapids, as they are for a player from Edina.

Most of the old-time hockey fans and players know this, but Edina is not soft. They traditionally have been a hard-working team. That tradition is being carried on by this team. They always play hard and scrap for pucks. Even the best players don't have the superstar mentality. They all are willing to sacrifice for every inch they will take. This tradition has not carried over to most sports, however.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

I'd rather be a "poor" northern boy than a BLOOMINGTON SPORTSMAN anyday.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

mnmouth wrote:When Rapids played Roseau, they outshot the Rams in highly entertaining, free-wheeling game that featured nearly 90 shots on goal. Roseau was better on the PP that night and that was basically the difference.

Also, Rapids has an excellent second line and an above-average third line that has no trouble moving the puck or transitioning from D to O. Their second line may not get the acclaim of the Super Sophs line, but the talent disparity between the two is not as great as some may think.
Ntohing against Rapids as a team, but how can you say the talent disparity between the 2nd line of Edina isn't that great. Edina's 2nd line is better than most teams first, and they are the best 2nd line in the state. When I say Rapids, without White and Morse played sparingly, there 1st line was worse than Edina's second line. I'd assume that those players are now there second line, correct me if I am wrong. Rapids' second line could play great defense and shut them down, however, that is not how I would judge the lines. That may be more pertanent to this game, however when you evaluate a line, I would look at scoring prowess as well as playing tough defense. I think Edina takes the second line comparison easily.

I agree with about the third line. If you judge the third lines the same way I judged the second lines, Rapids thrid line clearly wins, however I think Edina's third line defense could shut them down.

I would say Edina has the better goalie, but i only say Reider play once and the defense that game was brutal.

This game will probably come down to special teams, and now with the new special teams lines Edina has greatly improved. i haven't seen GR enough to comment. The way these teams will play is probably going to be the difference.

If the game is called extremely loosly, like some to the games today, I think Edina will prevail, becuase they are bigger and have many players who, while they may not be considered physical, can take a beating and still score, and both teams have plenty of physical players.

Anyways,
1st line: Draw
2nd line: Edina
3rd line: GR
Specials: ???
Goalies: ???
Physicality: Draw

Could anyone, who has seen both teams enough to know, fill in the ????
breakout

Post by breakout »

Reality is, Edina's third line may touch the ice 2 to 3 times the entire game (maybe). Edina, with the last line change would love to throw out either their 1st or 2nd lines against GRs 3rd.

Match ups and goal tending will dictate who wins this game.
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

KnightTime11 wrote:Syd,

I happen to know for a fact that DadsMoney drives a ford explorer.
Must be a typical Edina cheapskate :-k

I'm comin' down to the tourny in my Plymouth Reliant :wink:

Either way, Rapids wins this game [-(

Syd 8)
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

If both teams play like they can, it will be a great game. I doubt either of them comes out flat tonight. :D
Hey Sid, if you ever sell that Reliant, let me know. :wink:
Go Rapids :)
JLS 81

Ease Up

Post by JLS 81 »

Gosh the rhetoric is thick in here. :shock: It is just a game folks albeit a very good contest between 2 storied programs, enough with the ridiculous stereotypes thrown both ways. :roll: One would think it was Moorhead - Roseau all over again......sheesh, enough already let the game be played and the chips fall where they may.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

breakout wrote:Reality is, Edina's third line may touch the ice 2 to 3 times the entire game (maybe). Edina, with the last line change would love to throw out either their 1st or 2nd lines against GRs 3rd.

Match ups and goal tending will dictate who wins this game.
The third line will play regular shifts during the first two periods. Then
Edina will make the decision wether to play them sparingly or give them normal shifts in the thrid.

Goaltending will be the factor
grindiangrad-80

I agree Scoreboard. If either goalie is a little off their game, it will be lights out. They will both see some rubber tonight.
ahastars03

Post by ahastars03 »

i hope the studs from both team come out to play. if they all do i give white the biggest stud but edina having more. should be a good one. i hope all north final so go rapids
maybe next year aha
grindiangrad-80

52 minutes till Rapids-Edina WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Should be a good one here. Two classic clubs, two classic sweaters on display as well.

If it's a tight enough contest where a big game player can be the ultimate difference. I'll let my hopes ride with White and GR to get it done
Carom Karma

Post by Carom Karma »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:Should be a good one here. Two classic clubs, two classic sweaters on display as well.

If it's a tight enough contest where a big game player can be the ultimate difference. I'll let my hopes ride with White and GR to get it done
Couldn't agree more, if this is a close game which I hope that it is because these are two very good teams. I hope GR wins over Edina so we can see the first flaw to the new 1-4# rating system in full force... :P

Grand Rapids 5 8) T with WHITE GAME WINNER!!!!!!!
Edina 4
Minnesota hockey, the sport of 10,000 memories.
kickinwing

Post by kickinwing »

I've been to Grand Rapids and they are not all that grand. Seems you folks exaggerate about a lot of things.
Have you found those ruby slippers yet?
And anyone that goes by the name Syd Barret , well he must be crazy!
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

Was that last guy in line after the GR cheerleaders boblee?
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

Grand Rapids - 1
Edina - 0

Patrick White scores with 6:50 left in first.
Hockey Shananigans

Post by Hockey Shananigans »

Grand Rapids - 1

Edina - 0

Patrick White with the goal
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

White threw that baby top shelf where Grandma hides the cookie jar! Nice looking shot!
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Big number 6 tickles the twine.

Wow, is he strong on his skates with the puck.
DAbears25

Post by DAbears25 »

Oh man that was a nice shot. The Edina guy seemed to just like give up and let him go by along the boards there?? Then look what happens.
MNhockeyfanatic

Post by MNhockeyfanatic »

is there a place i can watch this game online?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Heh. The other announcer asking Nanne what he thinks about Giles and Edina. There's an objective voice. :roll:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

Grand Rapids - 1
Edina - 0

END OF FIRST

Shots

Grand Rapids - 11
Edina - 7
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

That was a good period for Rapids. I hope they can keep it up!
grindiangrad-80

Good 1st period. Keep it rollin Rapids. :wink: