Hermantown vs. Warroad

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will advance to the Championship?

Hermantown
66%
Warroad
34%

Total votes: 77

Hockey Shananigans

Hermantown vs. Warroad

Post by Hockey Shananigans » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Hermantown vs. Warroad

Friday March 9th 2007

Semi-Finals

61ache

Post by 61ache » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:46 pm

Warroad, I think their check is going to be tough for Herman Town to handle.

i play hockey

Post by i play hockey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 pm

from what i saw out of each team tonight....

they both did not play the best they could
Warroad played a better all-around game tonight
Hermantown had more scoring power (it appeared)

Warroad 3
Hermantown 2

it will be a good one

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Hermantown will have to be more physical and show up to play starting in the 1st period. Warroad likes to play the body and I think that will help them tremendously. I think Hermantown has too much depth and will play better team defense, come Friday, to lose this one.

Warroad - 2

Hermantown - 4

eazy1415

Post by eazy1415 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 pm

If Hermantown plays like they did the first two periods of the Little Falls game they will get killed!! I think Hermantown will be ready for Warroad on Friday.

Hermantown 3

Warroad 1

Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:30 pm

In this 2007 Minnesota State Class A Semifinal, I am going to go with...

1) Hermantown - 4
4) Warroad - 2

The Hawks will be moving on to the State Championship Game!

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 pm

Warroad may be a physical team but Hermantown is just toooooo talented of a team for the Warriors to handle.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:22 am

Are you guys serious? I don't care how physical Warroad is they will not beat Hermantown. You can't check someone if you can't catch them. If Warroad plays like they did tonight it will really be a sad semifinal game.

Hermantown 5 Warroad 1

slashman42

Post by slashman42 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:31 am

If Hermantown can deal with Warroad's physical play, it could be a long afternoon. I'd expect Vatnsdal to come huge in this one if the warriors are going to stay close. Warroad will need to play like they played against Roseau in their 1st meeting, 1st period, but keep that up all game long.

4-3 Warroad in the upset. Gotta pull for 'em since Hahn's my cousin. Won't be upset if Hermantown wins either considering myself and my brothers/sister graduated from Duluth Central. Go North Teams!

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:41 am

Guys, I don't think this Warroad team could even skate on the same ice as some of the Warroad teams over the past 10 years. They may have made it to state but after seeing their game against AL, Warroad and their section is having a down year and I am seriously doubting their section is better then LF's section. I am used to seeing Warroad teams that are physical and fast too. I don't see that with this team.

kvats12

Post by kvats12 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:46 am

dherman8 wrote:Are you guys serious? I don't care how physical Warroad is they will not beat Hermantown. You can't check someone if you can't catch them. If Warroad plays like they did tonight it will really be a sad semifinal game.

Hermantown 5 Warroad 1
I think this will surprise Hermantown fans about Warroads style of play. Yes they're physical and seem slow, but they appear slow because they're controlling the tempo of the game. Ever watch them play Roseau?? Roseau this year is definately one of the fastest (throughout the lineup) teams and Warroad slowed them down.

Saying that, if Warroad comes out hard and gets an early lead, Hermantown will probably become overly aggressive and Warroad could turn the tides.

Hermantown may average close to 7 goals a game, but Warroad won't allow that. Warroad has too much respect for a highly powered team to let up at any point of the game.

Good luck to both teams. Go Section 8!

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:56 am

kvats12 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:Are you guys serious? I don't care how physical Warroad is they will not beat Hermantown. You can't check someone if you can't catch them. If Warroad plays like they did tonight it will really be a sad semifinal game.

Hermantown 5 Warroad 1
I think this will surprise Hermantown fans about Warroads style of play. Yes they're physical and seem slow, but they appear slow because they're controlling the tempo of the game. Ever watch them play Roseau?? Roseau this year is definately one of the fastest (throughout the lineup) teams and Warroad slowed them down.

Saying that, if Warroad comes out hard and gets an early lead, Hermantown will probably become overly aggressive and Warroad could turn the tides.

Hermantown may average close to 7 goals a game, but Warroad won't allow that. Warroad has too much respect for a highly powered team to let up at any point of the game.

Good luck to both teams. Go Section 8!
And what happened in their games against Roseau? THEY LOST. Warroad has proven they can keep some games close with good teams. And even though Warroad probably won't give up 7 goals they have had their share of 4 and 5 goals against games and most of them they lost. They aren't a team that outscores opponents and that what they will probably have to do against Hermantown.

Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 am

Warroad is over-rated :roll: look for Hermantown to roll to the finals against rival Marshall [-(

Syd 8)

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Syd Barrett wrote:Warroad is over-rated :roll: look for Hermantown to roll to the finals against rival Marshall [-(

Syd 8)
Are you reading my mind Syd. I have to agree with you about Warroad but I don't see Marshall beating STA.

Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 am

dherman8 wrote:I have to agree with you about Warroad but I don't see Marshall beating STA.
I'm goin' with the heart, not the head (unless I see the Cheerleaders :!: ) :wink:

Syd 8)

kvats12

Post by kvats12 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:20 am

Syd Barrett wrote:Warroad is over-rated :roll: look for Hermantown to roll to the finals against rival Marshall [-(

Syd 8)
How is Warroad over-rated if most people expect them to lose to the #1 Hermantown?? You look at their record since Vatnsdal has been in net and they've lost 5 games, 2 to Roseau, 1 to Moorhead, and 1 to Brainerd (all AA schools).

And don't assume anything so soon, AHA was undefeated until they were beat by Burnsville (17-10 record)

Warroad is still the underdog for this game, they just always know what to bring to the state tournament.

Hockey Shananigans

Post by Hockey Shananigans » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:17 am

Hermantown - 5

Warroad - 2

Wild4hockey

Post by Wild4hockey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:00 am

dherman8 wrote:Guys, I don't think this Warroad team could even skate on the same ice as some of the Warroad teams over the past 10 years. They may have made it to state but after seeing their game against AL, Warroad and their section is having a down year and I am seriously doubting their section is better then LF's section. I am used to seeing Warroad teams that are physical and fast too. I don't see that with this team.
Section8 not as good as Section 4. Do you really believe that? Section 8 has proven to be deeper than Section 4. Besides LF you have nobody that can compete with the perenial powers of 8. Fergus is your 2nd best team which was beaten by our 6th seed Detroit Lakes.

After seeing LF play last night I am convinced that they are a good team. Not good enough to win state but good none-the-less. I would have liked to see a Warroad LF quarterfinal. I think those two would have provided a great game. Even on a down year Section 8 is head and shoulders above section 4 on a great year. DL comes back to your section next year and I guarantee they are a top 3 seed.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:02 am

I like Hermantown in this one pretty comfortably.

Herm-5
Warroad-2

Shoot-Out

Post by Shoot-Out » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:10 am

Hermantown has more depth and speed.
Hawks 3
Warriors 0
Should be a good game for what's at stake :wink:

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:49 am

Wild4hockey wrote:
dherman8 wrote:Guys, I don't think this Warroad team could even skate on the same ice as some of the Warroad teams over the past 10 years. They may have made it to state but after seeing their game against AL, Warroad and their section is having a down year and I am seriously doubting their section is better then LF's section. I am used to seeing Warroad teams that are physical and fast too. I don't see that with this team.
Section8 not as good as Section 4. Do you really believe that? Section 8 has proven to be deeper than Section 4. Besides LF you have nobody that can compete with the perenial powers of 8. Fergus is your 2nd best team which was beaten by our 6th seed Detroit Lakes.

After seeing LF play last night I am convinced that they are a good team. Not good enough to win state but good none-the-less. I would have liked to see a Warroad LF quarterfinal. I think those two would have provided a great game. Even on a down year Section 8 is head and shoulders above section 4 on a great year. DL comes back to your section next year and I guarantee they are a top 3 seed.
Seems to be a little discussion about sectional depth.

Here are the numbers this year.

Little Falls vs. 4A (14-1)
vs. Alex 6-1, 6-1
vs. Fergy 8-1, 11-5, 10-1
vs. Wadena 7-4
vs. Morris 10-5, 7-9
vs. Prairie Centre 8-1, 7-0
vs. Willmar 7-0, 9-0
vs. Sartell 7-0, 8-2, 9-1

Warroad vs. 8A (10-1)
vs. LOW 6-4, 6-2
vs. TRF 2-4, 7-1, 2-1
vs. EGF 5-3, 7-1
vs. Crookston 5-4, 1-0
vs. Hallock 5-0
vs. Park Rapids 4-0

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 am

Seeing both teams for the first time last night, I'd have to say Hermantown. Warroad did not look explosiver at all. Hermantown did, so I imagine they will outscore Warroad tomorrow night...

Htown 4
Wrrd 1

Wild4hockey

Post by Wild4hockey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:23 am

Warroad lacks that big scoring threat. They play smart disciplined hockey and wear you down. They are not as good as they have been in the past but they are still better than 98% of Class A. I think Lou made a good point last night about Vatnsdal not really being in the game against AL, because Warroad was dominating so much. He will face plenty of pressure against the Hawks. It will be a great semifinal match-up.

moose jaw

Post by moose jaw » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:46 am

Hermantown has more depth,speed and can play just as phsyical.hermantown by four.Yes section 8a is way down this year.

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:48 am

Wild4hockey wrote:Warroad lacks that big scoring threat. They play smart disciplined hockey and wear you down. They are not as good as they have been in the past but they are still better than 98% of Class A. I
Wild is right on the mark.

I've said before that 8A was "three yards and a cloud of dust this year" and last night the state got see what we've known all year.

The longer this semi-final looks like a football game the better for Warroad's sake. Little Falls looked real good for two periods but they were playing right into Hermantown's strengths, and it showed in the end. Warroad, not nearly as gifted up front could be more effective if they can control the tempo of the game.

A "Hundred Hits" are a coming.