PUBLIC OR PRIVATE

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PUBLIC OR PRIVATE

PUBLIC
48%
PRIVATE
38%
DEPENDS
14%

Total votes: 50

eagleskater81

PUBLIC OR PRIVATE

Post by eagleskater81 »

although it does depend on how good either teams are. if you are a cities kid with alot of potential where do u go stay at home or go to STA or stay at ur public where u have a good chance at state. which ones better for the state championship and which one is good for possibly picking up a scholorship. there will still be this problem go private or stay public.
"THE BIGGER THEY ARE, THE HARDER THEY FALL" :-)
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

If were talking scholarships I would send my kid to a private school because they are recruited heavily for non athletic purposes....if my kid was a great hockey player and needed help scholasticly to go to college it would be a private school no question. If I needed the money to feed my family and couldn't afford a private I would get my kid into the very best school I could through open enrollment..it would have nothing to do with going to State it would be about getting the best opportunitty for my Kids whether it be in Hockey, cheerleading, lego league, what ever they seem to have a gift in I would make sure they had the chance to develop there gift
crosby087

Post by crosby087 »

It depends but since i play for a public school i gotta say public

crosby 8)
sid_the_kid

Post by sid_the_kid »

crosby087 wrote:It depends but since i play for a public school i gotta say public

crosby 8)
Yeah u know u would go to a private school if u could crosby

Sid 8)
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

crosby087 wrote:It depends but since i play for a public school i gotta say public

crosby 8)
when you play a school like Hill or STA or Cretin, arn't you even a little bit envious of the hockey machines they have? If money wasn't an issue and you knew you could could make the team anywhere you went, where would you go?
crosby087

Post by crosby087 »

sid_the_kid wrote:

crosby 8)
Yeah u know u would go to a private school if u could crosby

Sid 8)
Oh in a heart beat Sid :D

crosby 8)
sid_the_kid

Post by sid_the_kid »

Of coarse i would 2 if $$ wasnt an issue and if i had a guaranteed spot :D

Sid 8)
boblee

post 7694

Post by boblee »

Public...oh, and northern.
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

finance_gal wrote:

crosby 8)
when you play a school like Hill or STA or Cretin, arn't you even a little bit envious of the hockey machines they have? If money wasn't an issue and you knew you could could make the team anywhere you went, where would you go?

Hockey machines????? Hill has won two titles in 50 years, Cretin one and STA none in the big tourney :roll: Stick to finance!
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

They are machines, I just didn't say they worked perfect all the time :lol:
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

That hockey machine known as Hill Murray sure does seem to make frequent stops downtown St. Paul in March. Nice parts, good mechanics, and may not always be the best, but often find themselves on display each year.
HockeyFan1

Re: post 7694

Post by HockeyFan1 »

boblee wrote:Public...oh, and northern.
=D>
hockeyfan95

Post by hockeyfan95 »

up north and in other areas, private school isn't even an option. we live in small towns and we take what we can get, and usually do pretty good with it...
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Titles aren't the only thing that matters. Also, years ago teams played in the private school tourny, in which many schools such as Cathedral (now duluth marshall), Hill Murray, Probably Cretin and St Thomas all did well in.
DAbears25

Post by DAbears25 »

PUBLIC. \:D/

BOO TO PRIVATE.
cake-eater

Post by cake-eater »

Unless you're in Edina, you must go private.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

cake-eater wrote:Unless you're in Edina, you must go private.
Quite a few Edina youth players have opted for private schools.

This is a debate that will never be settled.
HShockeywatcher

It will never be settled because many people on this "bored" will never be willing to admit to things for the opposite of the argument.
hast-h-fan

Post by hast-h-fan »

To any team like Roseau.... what a great feeling to play like that with the kids ya grew up with.
HShockeywatcher

hast-h-fan, that wasn't answering the question asked. The question was about what would serve them better in the future. My comment still stands.
pipersniper12

Re: post 7694

Post by pipersniper12 »

boblee wrote:Public...oh, and northern.
WHAT HE SAID.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Titles aren't the only thing that matters. Also, years ago teams played in the private school tourny, in which many schools such as Cathedral (now duluth marshall), Hill Murray, Probably Cretin and St Thomas all did well in.
Wrong... The Blake School completely dominated the private school state tournament. Winning 7 state titles. None of those other schools won any.
HShockeywatcher

Well, Cathedral (now Marshall) has one in the 70s, Hill Murray had one sometime that Ankles Pierre has brought up a couple times, I know St Thomas has won three times, not sure of the other schools.

Winning 7 times is great. They had a great program. But someone had to win the years they didn't.
Iscraper56

Post by Iscraper56 »

Answer has to be "depends." What are your means and motivations, and what's the quality of the school in your district? Knuckle (or chuckle) heads who think "hockey-is-life" will likely write this off, but go back to any of the posts that cite the %'age of players who make the sport a career. If you're a parent on this site you have to be thinking what's going to prepare your kid the best - and that means academically. Hockey and any sport is great at character building and teaching life lessons, but if you're making decisions for and hopefully with your kid - God help you if it's ALL about hockey. Go for the best education you can whether that's public or private - period.
HShockeywatcher

Exactly what I was getting at about "It will never be settled because many people on this "bored" will never be willing to admit to things for the opposite of the argument."

There are many, many reasons why certain private schools would be the better choice for you, and there are also many, many reasons why a public school would be the best choice for you. This is what I've been trying to get across to people. People come on here putting down private schools saying so many bad things about them. Well, the smaller class sizes, the smaller student-to-teacher ratio, the not allowing certain behaviors in the school, the average of many years of teaching experience by the teachers, and other things are many things that cannot be denied. That's not to say that the many pluses about public schools aren't there either. You can stay with people from your community, it's free, there is a much broader curriculum to choose from, the many special programs available, and probably much more.

There are many pros on both sides. One thing to consider is that private schools are much smaller and making teams is probably easier, but on the flip side if you make them at a public school you've got more to brag about.

All in all, you just need to consider what is there for you and what you want. Personally, the school I went to was great for me. It's not for everyone. Some schools are for some people, others for others. The big point is that in arguing you need to consider what the other side has, not just blindly put them down and deny everything.