Nick Oliver

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rozofan

Nick Oliver

Post by rozofan »

Roseu's Nick Oliver tried out for the Tri City Ushl team and made it. He is going to do a before and after next year.
Offside

Post by Offside »

I dont' think he made the team yet dude. He might have made the all star teams but they post a 25 man roster by July 1 and then have to cut down to 23 sometime after that.
Ron_Burgundy

Post by Ron_Burgundy »

What's the big deal on Nick Oliver? I just want to know what everyone thinks of him and why he is praised so high and above everyone else...thanks in advance.
southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout »

Ron_Burgundy wrote:What's the big deal on Nick Oliver? I just want to know what everyone thinks of him and why he is praised so high and above everyone else...thanks in advance.
Nick Oliver is one of the most skilled defenseman in the state. Now I am sure I will hear from all of the haters but I said ONE OF. I did not say the most skilled. He is a good player and I think will make a great player some day soon.
davey

Post by davey »

southernmnscout wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:What's the big deal on Nick Oliver? I just want to know what everyone thinks of him and why he is praised so high and above everyone else...thanks in advance.
Nick Oliver is one of the most skilled defenseman in the state. Now I am sure I will hear from all of the haters but I said ONE OF. I did not say the most skilled. He is a good player and I think will make a great player some day soon.
Funny, if you are truly a scout, you would know that he is a forward. At least that is what he played in Advanced 16's
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

southernmnscout wrote:
He split time between defense and forward last year. He's been playing forward for all of the offseason events so far. From what I've heard, he works REALLY hard, and he's big. Those two things AT LEAST are enough to get you noticed. I've heard varying reports on the skill level, but you won't find anybody who'll argue against his size or work ethic.

Basic info: Committed to SCSU, Coach's Son, 6'2" 185, NTDP Tryout Camp, National Select 16's, USHL Tryout Camp All-Star Team, Model Camp.
boblee

post 8038

Post by boblee »

He is a big strong kid who can play either forward or "D." That is what people enjoy.
southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout »

davey wrote:
southernmnscout wrote:
Funny, if you are truly a scout, you would know that he is a forward. At least that is what he played in Advanced 16's
When I saw him he was a D
breakout

Post by breakout »

southernmnscout wrote:
davey wrote:
southernmnscout wrote: Nick Oliver is one of the most skilled defenseman in the state. Now I am sure I will hear from all of the haters but I said ONE OF. I did not say the most skilled. He is a good player and I think will make a great player some day soon.
When I saw him he was a D
I believe he is going to Rochester in a couple of weeks as a forward.
hipcheck

one word

Post by hipcheck »

One word: POTENTIAL!

He is raw and will continue to improve.
breakout

Re: one word

Post by breakout »

hipcheck wrote:One word: POTENTIAL!

He is raw and will continue to improve.
I agree with you.
Ron_Burgundy

Post by Ron_Burgundy »

Thanks for the info guys! :D
March3333Madness

Post by March3333Madness »

Over-rated. good player, but very over rated. Like Buddish. Yes, I said Buddish. It will be interesting when other catch his size. And, others will both in size and strength, which means if his skills don't develop, he will fade.
BIG

Post by BIG »

I watched this kid all year. At the beginning of the year I thought he was more of a liability than an asset to the team. He improved a lot throughout the year, not only physically, but mentally. He's definitely got the body and the motor, so if he keeps improving like that, he'll definitely be a great player.
gmoola89

Post by gmoola89 »

Basic info: Committed to SCSU, Coach's Son, 6'2" 185, NTDP Tryout Camp, National Select 16's, USHL Tryout Camp All-Star Team, Model Camp.
how did he 'commit'? is that where he said he wants to go or what? because i thought that he cant 'commit' until his jr. year or at least the college couldnt offer him a scholarship.

but. i could be wrong. help me out.
Ron_Burgundy

Post by Ron_Burgundy »

Verbally committed. So SCSU is the college where he intends to go. They are interested in him, and want him if he grows to be good player. Looks like he's on track. Going to the Five Nations Tournament for '91s in Czech Republic. Kudos to Oliver.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

He may have the best chance of any of the current Roseau kids to make it to the big show.
breakout

Post by breakout »

black sheep wrote:He may have the best chance of any of the current Roseau kids to make it to the big show.
forgetting Ness?
BIG

Post by BIG »

How can you forget about Ness? :P I think a lot of people devalue Ness because of his size. There are 4 kids on this Roseau team that will all be drafted barring injury. Ness, Landmann, Lee, and Oliver. Oliver probably has the best shot because of his size, but Ness definitely is the most skilled of the group. Lee is a very good goaltender, and Landmann is a very solid player as well. It will be fun to watch these kids and see where they end up. Oliver probably has the most upside just because he's a big kid. There isn't much to Ness when you look at him, but the kid knows how to play. I think he'll make it all the way, but we'll just have to watch and see what happens.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

not forgetting ness...he is obviously very good...and so are the others, in fact they will likely make better high school and college players.

I just don't think oliver is anywhere near his ceiling yet, he has the physical frame to be in the 230 lb range by the time is he in his low 20's, combine the size, with improving skills, and a good work ethic and pedigree. A good 230 lb forward will get more opprotunities than a good 180 lb kid, most scouts & coaches believe they can teach the game but you can't teach size.

A Roseau example of this maybe, although different eras, is Billy Lund vs Josh Olson. Billy might have been the best high school hockey player ever to play in the Memorial while many have never really heard of Josh.

ewe gotta love to speculate...what do I know?
breakout

Post by breakout »

black sheep wrote:not forgetting ness...he is obviously very good...and so are the others, in fact they will likely make better high school and college players.

I just don't think oliver is anywhere near his ceiling yet, he has the physical frame to be in the 230 lb range by the time is he in his low 20's, combine the size, with improving skills, and a good work ethic and pedigree. A good 230 lb forward will get more opprotunities than a good 180 lb kid, most scouts & coaches believe they can teach the game but you can't teach size.

A Roseau example of this maybe, although different eras, is Billy Lund vs Josh Olson. Billy might have been the best high school hockey player ever to play in the Memorial while many have never really heard of Josh.

ewe gotta love to speculate...what do I know?
I understand your points. I think a smaller guy in today's NHL can play. Ness just needs to prove it. Next year's draft ranking will indicate what the evaluators think.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Neal Broten was probably the best to play in Memorial. But that's obvious. Billy was a great player, just small. Josh is a good player, but he wouldn't be anywhere if he wasn't so gigantic. If Billy would've been in today's game he would've had a lot better of a shot and could've made it. Oh well, Billy's living the good life. Laying carpet and 19 year olds! don't hate the player, hate the game.
pucknstick10

Post by pucknstick10 »

. Laying carpet and 19 year olds! don't hate the player, hate the game.[/quote]

One of the best lines ever uttered on this board.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

BIG wrote:Neal Broten was probably the best to play in Memorial. But that's obvious. Billy was a great player, just small. Josh is a good player, but he wouldn't be anywhere if he wasn't so gigantic. If Billy would've been in today's game he would've had a lot better of a shot and could've made it. Oh well, Billy's living the good life. Laying carpet and 19 year olds! don't hate the player, hate the game.

I agree that Mr Broten was the "best" overall, but Billy may have been a better "high school" player (AP player of the year and rightfully should have won Mr Hockey)...which one of those guys never one a state high school championship...obviously debateable...kind of.

and yes size does count.
watchdog

neal

Post by watchdog »

you can debate neal to bill your funny. how can you possible debate a highschool championship to college national title,olympic gold medal, hobby baker and a stanley cup? like compareing coach oliver to herb brooks yeah thats comparable.. i mean try to have some common sense. along these lines i would say donnie ross could be one of the best to ever play in the memorial without the credentials. i could somewhat swallow that.