What is the best arena in Minnesota to see a HS game

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

I wonder why no one has brought up the Nymore rink in Bemidji??? The rink stinks, but it's a nice place to watch a game.
D16Dad

Post by D16Dad »

rams1989 wrote:I wonder why no one has brought up the Nymore rink in Bemidji??? The rink stinks, but it's a nice place to watch a game.
It's been brought up on the youth forum "Opulent Nymore Gardens". Hard Ice. Thats about it. Bemidji was trying to schedule the Warroad, Roseau and Grand Rapids games at BSU but last I heard the ice there wasn't available early enough for JV games.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Play 'em all at Nymore Gardens, including the sections.
hockeypimp111

Post by hockeypimp111 »

1. roseau
2. TRF
3. the gardens (Warroad)
jdizzle12

Post by jdizzle12 »

1- Grand Rapids by far :)
2- TRF
3- Braemar west
4- Hibbing memorial
5- Virginia
quickgym guy

Post by quickgym guy »

jdizzle12 wrote:1- Grand Rapids by far :)
2- TRF
3- Braemar west
4- Hibbing memorial
5- Virginia
You wouldn't happen to play for Rapids?....
espnmobile8

Post by espnmobile8 »

Braemar West, GR, BIG 1, Warroad...they all give ya that same feeling

Maybe it has a little to do with tradition eh?
TheShow

Post by TheShow »

quickgym guy wrote:If you want to check out great atmosphere... Go to a Cloquet - Duluth East game at the Lumberdome. Make sure you get there at the start of the JV game if you want to get a seat.
More people go to that game at the DECC than a UMD Bulldog game
Winter16

Nice Arenas

Post by Winter16 »

Burnsville- Not many will agree but watch when they play rosemount this upcoming season the last time Rosemount played them at B-Ville and it was a good battle with a win for rosemount 3-1 with JT Brown's Hat Trick last goal was a empty netter.
Grand Rapids-Nice New arena brother got a concussion his bantam season getting checked from behind.
Duluth-Marshall- Nice arena played in the arena for a squirt tournament well made
Hermantown-Has had history and a nice atmosphere
Hippodrome- Doesn't smell the greatest but you got to deal with it one of most historic sites in Minnesota Hockey history
Hillfan

Post by Hillfan »

Aldrich for the crowds, especially during H-M/WBL games and Sections.

For large facilities, obvious choices are the Xcel and DECC.
Northland

Post by Northland »

How about the 'old' Cloquet rink. :lol:

Lots of history there. Visitors bench doors open the wrong way, same temperature as outside when it's below zero, gotta love it. But as a fan you can't get any closer to the game without being on the ice.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Northland wrote:How about the 'old' Cloquet rink. :lol:

Lots of history there. Visitors bench doors open the wrong way, same temperature as outside when it's below zero, gotta love it. But as a fan you can't get any closer to the game without being on the ice.

Your a sick man Northland. :lol:
Northland

Post by Northland »

Neutron 14 wrote:
Northland wrote:How about the 'old' Cloquet rink. :lol:

Your a sick man Northland. :lol:

Thanks. :wink:

watchdog

k

Post by watchdog »

roseau is not very fan freindly with its seating but when you walk into that rink it smells of hockey. its richness in tradition reminds me of the old boston gardens.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Re: k

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

watchdog wrote:roseau is not very fan freindly with its seating but when you walk into that rink it smells of hockey. its richness in tradition reminds me of the old boston gardens.

Yeah, just stand by the tunnel leading to those locker rooms; that smell hasn't changed in over forty years. :wink:
hipcheck

roseau

Post by hipcheck »

In the Roseau Memorial rink, they still have the benches in the locker rooms that the "great teams" from the 50's and 60's used to lace up their skates on. You can see the heel marks from the skates still in the benches.

Now THAT is tradition!
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

hate their fans but elk river's olympic size rink is always packed and its a great atmosphere to play in.
oldram

Best rink

Post by oldram »

The lobby in Roseau had a definite odor, that you only smelled there. It's been gone since they covered up the old wooden floors with the tile. I think it was maybe from Tilley's pipe smoke.
BERG RENOLZ

Re: Best rink

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

oldram wrote:The lobby in Roseau had a definite odor, that you only smelled there. It's been gone since they covered up the old wooden floors with the tile. I think it was maybe from Tilley's pipe smoke.
Who the hell is Tilley? I must be too young. Oh, i love the stank of that rink!
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
oldram wrote:The lobby in Roseau had a definite odor, that you only smelled there. It's been gone since they covered up the old wooden floors with the tile. I think it was maybe from Tilley's pipe smoke.
Hey Berg, Tilley is Tilford Housker who passed away some time ago. I was lucky enough to spend my youth watching Tilley drive the Zamboni into the boards on a regular basis!

On a side note, I was at the Old Timers Tourney last spring and it was the first time in 15 years I had been downstairs and the smell hasn't changed a bit! The boards, ice size, penalty boxes and players benches have all changed, but not the smell!
ozzdan21

Post by ozzdan21 »

Burnsville has an electric arena. Its packed any given night. I encourage all to attend the december 7 home game against #1 edina if you need proof. This game will be soldout during JV

BIG #1 great place to watch some puck. HISTORICALLY ORIGInal

Braemar_kicks ass
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

rams1989 wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:
Hey Berg, Tilley is Tilford Housker who passed away some time ago. I was lucky enough to spend my youth watching Tilley drive the Zamboni into the boards on a regular basis!

On a side note, I was at the Old Timers Tourney last spring and it was the first time in 15 years I had been downstairs and the smell hasn't changed a bit! The boards, ice size, penalty boxes and players benches have all changed, but not the smell!
My favorite Tilford moment was when the Leafs were hosting I believe it was the Senior National tourney and Tilford ran out of fuel with the Zamboni. He walks back to the Zamboni Room brings a metal gas can out and sets it on the ice and goes for the gas cap. In the mean time the gas can has melted a foot circle 3 inch deep in the ice and it took an hour to fix. That spot was pretty soft the rest of the tourney.
warrior4

Post by warrior4 »

1. REA arena in Thief River Falls
2. The Gardens in Warroad
3. Huck Olson Arena in Thief River Falls
4. Grand Rapids
5. Lakeview Arena
6. Aldridge Arena
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Undercover Hockey Lover wrote:
rams1989 wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:

My favorite Tilford moment was when the Leafs were hosting I believe it was the Senior National tourney and Tilford ran out of fuel with the Zamboni. He walks back to the Zamboni Room brings a metal gas can out and sets it on the ice and goes for the gas cap. In the mean time the gas can has melted a foot circle 3 inch deep in the ice and it took an hour to fix. That spot was pretty soft the rest of the tourney.
Awesome! :lol:
TooManyEagles

Post by TooManyEagles »

What about the Plymouth Ice Garden? Thats a pretty nice place. Perhaps not a ton of history to it, but a comfortable atmosphere for sure.