Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bhindthemask

Section 3A

Post by Bhindthemask » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Anyone care to make any preseason predictions

suntzu

Re: Section 3A

Post by suntzu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Bhindthemask wrote:Anyone care to make any preseason predictions
I predict that the winner of this section will have trouble keeping their first-round opponent at State under 10 goals. Perhaps the weakest section in the history of Minnesota High School Hockey.

Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Hey suntzu, I predict your probably some spoiled little cities kid who has hours and hours of ice time purchased for you each year by your mommy and daddy, and still aren't able to make the varsity roster. Most of us out here in 3a have twice the heart and twice the passion for this game than you will ever have, but because we come from a rural area where we have ice five months of the year instead of twelve, you think you can roll in here and run your mouth. Here's an idea for you. Ask your mommy for a new pair of skates, and you just might make that varsity team this year.

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Bhindthemask wrote:Hey suntzu, I predict your probably some spoiled little cities kid who has hours and hours of ice time purchased for you each year by your mommy and daddy, and still aren't able to make the varsity roster. Most of us out here in 3a have twice the heart and twice the passion for this game than you will ever have, but because we come from a rural area where we have ice five months of the year instead of twelve, you think you can roll in here and run your mouth. Here's an idea for you. Ask your mommy for a new pair of skates, and you just might make that varsity team this year.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

tiny

Post by tiny » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:57 pm

A bit sensitive out there in Windom are we?

I'm sure that there will be some hard fought games on the Prairie, but traditionally teams from this region skate a bit slower and don't field lines that are as deep as other regions. It seems that the teams from this region have nice skills, but aren't ready for the speed they will face when they get to St. Paul.

Personally, though, I hope you prove me wrong. :)

Coolice

Post by Coolice » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:15 pm

I agree with tiny, but most of the teams in this section don't have more than 30 - 40 kids to chose from. Thats maybe why they don't go 3 lines deep. With that being said it should still be a fun section to watch. The teams I like are Hutch, Willmar, Marshall, and New Ulm. Any one of these teams could win the sec. I don't know much about the other teams out there who knows maybe even one of them might win.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Bhindthemask wrote:Hey suntzu, I predict your probably some spoiled little cities kid who has hours and hours of ice time purchased for you each year by your mommy and daddy, and still aren't able to make the varsity roster. Most of us out here in 3a have twice the heart and twice the passion for this game than you will ever have, but because we come from a rural area where we have ice five months of the year instead of twelve, you think you can roll in here and run your mouth. Here's an idea for you. Ask your mommy for a new pair of skates, and you just might make that varsity team this year.
Can you show me where he said anything about heart or passion? He was making the point that the top team in section 3A is not on the same competitive level as the top teams from all the other sections. Not anything wrong with that, but it is the truth. So how about you take a step back and take a deep breath or twenty before you fly off the handle again.
The U invented swagger.

Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:00 am

O.K. I apologize for flying off the handle. The problem that I have is that on every post, whenever 3a is mentioned it is in a derogatory fashion. I start a post on 3A and the first response is someone with yet another derogatory comment. I hope you can see my frustration. On a more positive note, I think New Ulm is going to come into this section thinking that they already own it, which may hurt them. Marshall lost a lot to graduation, still going to be tough in this section. The only thing that I really know about the northern half of this section is that Willmar didn't have a great year last year, but had a strong J.V. program so maybe that will come to fruition this season.

h20

Post by h20 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:28 pm

I here Willmar finally has a coach out there , in the past they have a team without direction and playing to the moms , dads and senior wantabes but with the right guy and no BS they have a chance to turn it around, JV was decent but remember its not the big time, if you want to look for a team to come out of the blue, look for them,

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:51 pm

h20 wrote:I here Willmar finally has a coach out there , in the past they have a team without direction and playing to the moms , dads and senior wantabes but with the right guy and no BS they have a chance to turn it around, JV was decent but remember its not the big time, if you want to look for a team to come out of the blue, look for them,
Willmar had a very solid coach that got his position taken from him before he had the full amount of time that he told administration he would need when he was interviewing for the job. You have to realize that there has to be a period of time when switching coaches where the team is going to struggle but if the coach has a sufficient period of time and is a good coach, they will turn it around. That's what would have happened in Wilmar if they would have allowed Larson a year or two more to get a good thing going. He knows what he's doing, there's no doubt about that, Willmar just lost a very good coach.
The U invented swagger.

Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 am

Thats really too bad if that is true about the Willmar coach. Just wondering when moms, dads, and the seniors started knowing more than the coach. When will parents learn to keep their mouths shut? On the other hand when will administrations learn to stand behind their guy. I guess maybe that has a lot to do with the strength of this section. People just don't get it around here. Around here it seems more important to express your own selfish opinion rather than do what you can to work hard and build a successful program from the bottom up. No matter how great your Head Coach is, if you have a bad program feeding his team, he will take them nowhere.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:23 am

Didn't mean to upset you with my initial response. I know many kids that play out in 3A and they are great kids (great families, too) that work hard and have desire. My problem is the creation of a really weak section that may not produce a state-caliber team. Nothing more, nothing less.

The situation in Willmar was handled very poorly by the administration. Coach Larson wasn't given a fair shake, but hopefully Coach Tollefson will be able to handle the yo-yo's who've made a career of getting coaches run out of town.

If administrations won't stand behind their coaches, those schools will continue to have turnover in the coaching ranks.

h20

Post by h20 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:44 pm

you can say all you want about its to bad and all that stuff, but to watch the non disapline of that program ,its just a shame, not saying only watching a handfull of games make you an expert ,but you sure can pick up on whats going on or not, and for the comment that the parents keep running the coaches out there, well the coaches better look square in the face at their actions, thats what has done in most of the coaches ... but in a smal lcommunity if your there to just pick up the pay check and not be committed to the people of that community, it wont take you long before your gone no matter who are are. hopefully this coach can make a go of it there, , and I still say watch out this year for this team in this section

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:14 pm

h20 wrote:you can say all you want about its to bad and all that stuff, but to watch the non disapline of that program ,its just a shame, not saying only watching a handfull of games make you an expert ,but you sure can pick up on whats going on or not, and for the comment that the parents keep running the coaches out there, well the coaches better look square in the face at their actions, thats what has done in most of the coaches ... but in a smal lcommunity if your there to just pick up the pay check and not be committed to the people of that community, it wont take you long before your gone no matter who are are. hopefully this coach can make a go of it there, , and I still say watch out this year for this team in this section
If the parents know so much more about coaching a high school hockey team than the person that is hired to do so, why doesn't Willmar implement a team of coaches. A parent of every player behind the bench for every game. This way when the results are much worse than they would have been with an actual coach, they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

A little side note: I don't know if you know how much HS hockey coaches are paid but I'd be willing to bet that none of them are just there to "pick up the paycheck." They're there because they know the game, love the game and love to coach the game.
The U invented swagger.

h20

Post by h20 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:39 pm

preception, if one does not get involved in a program than it sure does look like that they are there for one thing, I know in past that there have been communities where the HS coach will not even attend the youth games,, I know everybody is busy , but it is all preception... give a little and in the long run it may help one out, but this is getting out of the post . still say look out for this squad to turn things around, pretty much a senior based team and if they get it going early, it could be a special year for them, but as usual in something like this section, it will probably come down to the goal tender who gets hot, any body know about goalies here

Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:37 am

As far as goalies in this section, at least the SWC. I think Worthington, Redwood, and Luverne are all returning starters from last year. I think Brett Oltmanns from Windom graduated, he's probably one of the better down here if he is still in school. The Worthington goalie played pretty solid for them last year as a sophomore. I think Marshall graduated their goaltender from last year. Sleepy Eye, I have no idea. I beleive that the Redwood goalie may have received all-conference honors last year, but now that I think about it, he may have been a senior. Luverne's goalie has a potential to just stand on his head, he had like 50 some saves last year when they beat Marshall. However I don't know just how consistent he can be.

bombsquad06

3a

Post by bombsquad06 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:12 am

Could someone tell just what happened to the Willmar coach Reed Larson? The last I had heard he was the coach there. What's up?

RLStars

Re: 3a

Post by RLStars » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am

bombsquad06 wrote:Could someone tell just what happened to the Willmar coach Reed Larson? The last I had heard he was the coach there. What's up?
I believe he stepped down as the head coach, but will remain on the coaching staff as an assistant. He is also an assistant coach for the Junior A Tier III Granite City Lumberjacks from St. Cloud. http://www.lumberjackshockey.com

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:43 pm

bombsquad06 wrote:Could someone tell just what happened to the Willmar coach Reed Larson? The last I had heard he was the coach there. What's up?
The administration removed him from his head coaching position but said that they would allow him to remain on as an assistant coach.
The U invented swagger.

bombsquad06

3a

Post by bombsquad06 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:07 am

Why did they remove him? I can't believe he would get his head coaching job taken away and would agree to stay on the staff?

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:37 pm

bombsquad06 wrote:Why did they remove him? I can't believe he would get his head coaching job taken away and would agree to stay on the staff?
That's a question you would have to ask the administration at Willmar.
The U invented swagger.

h20

Post by h20 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:08 pm

Maybe accepting another postion as assistant for the junior team in st cloud had something to do with it,,,, anyhow its probably for the best as that group in the last few years had no discipline what so ever, things can only go up out there. anyone know what the goaltending is out there,

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:18 pm

h20 wrote:Maybe accepting another postion as assistant for the junior team in st cloud had something to do with it,,,, anyhow its probably for the best as that group in the last few years had no discipline what so ever, things can only go up out there. anyone know what the goaltending is out there,
He accepted the position as an assistant coach for the Lumberjacks after he was removed from his head coaching position. I have a feeling in the next couple years you'll be surprised at how much farther down it can go for Willmar.
The U invented swagger.

h20

Post by h20 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Well how much lower can it go than 3 or 4 wins in the last couple of seasons and hearing about the players fight in games and still keep playing, or watching seniors that played for a couple of years and get even score a goal,,,,,,, I think they might be ready for a change, it doesnt seem like it was going anywhere,,,

card4life

Post by card4life » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Willmars last season was a disappointment, yes they had a descent coach but he started to make poor choices. Trying to bring up sophomores and juiors that had no right to step on the ice costs the team big time in many games. In highschool you play two lines and everyonce in awhile a third...never do you play 4 just cuz you have a full roster, any coach should have known that.