Can any1 contend with St.Thomas in section 4A?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrHockey35

Can any1 contend with St.Thomas in section 4A?

Post by MrHockey35 »

Could Totino-Grace or Mahtomedi give sta a run in 4a?
tuffpucker

Re: Can any1 contend with St.Thomas in section 4A?

Post by tuffpucker »

[quote="MrHockey35"]Could Totino-Grace or Mahtomedi give sta a run in 4a?[/quote]

I thought everyone left St Thomas ? I would think that Totino and Mahtomedi have the best shot coming out of that section.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

st. thomas will still be a very good team. they lost lee, but they should be the favorite to return to state
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Yes
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

It is time for them to step up and play with the varsity teams in AA. Coming from another private school supporter who is tired of hearing this topic. Tell the powers that be at STA to step up and see what real hockey is about. Look at my team, they are there and good year in and out. They win some and lose some and they still survive. I know the team has nothing to do with the class, but maybe they should lobby the school admins.
As far as the real topic, yes, everyone in A will give them a run....
d man 16

Post by d man 16 »

I play in that section and I think that this year they are probably going to breeze through it. but in a couple of years there will be some very hard fought games.
deacon

Post by deacon »

i thought you were talking about the football team for a second
MNHighSchoolHockeyGuy

Post by MNHighSchoolHockeyGuy »

Question are the section 4 games back at Aldrich arena?Some of my best high school hockey memories are from watching the my boys from Mahtomedi take on the Red Wing's,STA's,Simly's and TG's of the world back when we were all in section 3 in the 90's and early 00's at Aldrich.Good Times!
d man 16

Post by d man 16 »

I am almost positive that all of the games are there.. dont hold me to it though
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Hey, I have an idea, let's make another St Thomas thread. As far as others, Mahtomedi plays St Thomas twice during the season. So they'll have that going for them. The one thing that will really be the deciding factor for St Thomas is the goalie position. Crandall is playing for Green Bay right now.

As for what Zamman said, the argument can go both ways, but unless the AD is checking Minnhock daily and cares what a few posters think, posting on here will never change anything about what class they are in. I do agree, though, that it would be a much better change for the program. It would help retain players, hopefully be put in 3AA with Cretin, and above all else it would get people to quit their whining.
RBKhockey77

Post by RBKhockey77 »

After the performance of Spring Lake Park last year St. Thomas might have some trouble beating them.
d man 16

Post by d man 16 »

RBKhockey77 wrote:After the performance of Spring Lake Park last year St. Thomas might have some trouble beating them.
What, are you serious?? :? We beat them twice last year, and I am almost positive that we could not contend with STA... I think your just playing up your team
RBKhockey77

Post by RBKhockey77 »

Did you also beat breck as well d man 16?
d man 16

Post by d man 16 »

had em by two goin into the 3rd then went into a slump and lost by one
mch

Post by mch »

Zamman wrote:It is time for them to step up and play with the varsity teams in AA. Coming from another private school supporter who is tired of hearing this topic. Tell the powers that be at STA to step up and see what real hockey is about. Look at my team, they are there and good year in and out. They win some and lose some and they still survive. I know the team has nothing to do with the class, but maybe they should lobby the school admins.
yes i agree, st thomas needs to move up. a lot of A schools just cannot compete with a school that has 500 kids to choose from in their high school and some more in junior high. they have great recruiting and nice facilities that are all very appealing, which makes them a recruiting powerhouse.

totino, mahtomedi will definitely give them a run
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

mch wrote:
Zamman wrote:It is time for them to step up and play with the varsity teams in AA. Coming from another private school supporter who is tired of hearing this topic. Tell the powers that be at STA to step up and see what real hockey is about. Look at my team, they are there and good year in and out. They win some and lose some and they still survive. I know the team has nothing to do with the class, but maybe they should lobby the school admins.
yes i agree, st thomas needs to move up. a lot of A schools just cannot compete with a school that has 500 kids to choose from in their high school and some more in junior high. they have great recruiting and nice facilities that are all very appealing, which makes them a recruiting powerhouse.

totino, mahtomedi will definitely give them a run

They probably should move up, but keep in mind that before 2005 when Schroeder and Lee arrived STA was very rarely even a .500 team. As for this year, STA should win the section but they wont breeze through it. Mahtomedi is never a team you want to play in march and South St. Paul brings everyone back from last year and should be improved. And of course, Totino will have a talented group.
HShockeywatcher

Mahtomedi may look decent on paper when you compare them to other teams, maybe, but last year in 2 games St Thomas ourscored them 8-1 and the results were even worse the year before, so I'm not sure why anyone is giving them a chance.

As far as opting up, 2 questions;
1. A team is good for 3 years and they are expected to opt up but teams that have been consistently good for decades shouldn't?
2. I do think that teams shouldn't be allowed to opt up, being that this is a class system, not a tier system, but since that will never happen, I agree they should opt up for a few different reasons. That being said, sitting here putting them, alumni, the school, and things associated with them down because they haven't opted up is just immature. If I had control, they'd be a AA team. I don't, nor do any of use St Thomas fans on here. Save us all the time, and write the AD a letter or give him a call.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Mahtomedi may look decent on paper when you compare them to other teams, maybe, but last year in 2 games St Thomas ourscored them 8-1 and the results were even worse the year before, so I'm not sure why anyone is giving them a chance.
That was last year.
HShockeywatcher

Oh, my bad. Every school gets a completely new team every year and last year's team has no bearing on this year. Totally my bad, I forgot.
BladeButter44

Post by BladeButter44 »

STA is looking very strong this year with a lot of new talent. It should be hard for any other team in 4A to compete with them.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

BladeButter44 wrote:STA is looking very strong this year with a lot of new talent. It should be hard for any other team in 4A to compete with them.
Yeah but how's the hockey team? :roll:
BladeButter44

Post by BladeButter44 »

That is what I was trying to get at. They lost some quality players like Lee and Faulk, but did a very nice job at recruiting young talent. This years JV/Varsity team will be quite young. It will be good to see how they fair. The situation is very similar with Breck. They also have a lot of young talented players.

Look for both teams to dominate in a few years.
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

did alot of good recruiting? i thought that was illegal. :shock:
If you look good, you play good.
MrHockey35

Post by MrHockey35 »

who is going to be sta's top goalie? to replace crandall?
hillmurray2010

Post by hillmurray2010 »

some kid named althrichter from white bear i think...