Walker- Favorite for 8a?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will Walker be a section Favorite in 09?

Yes
2
5%
No
13
33%
Never
25
63%
 
Total votes: 40

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 pm

nipe'n wrote:
Boooogeyman wrote:seems to me that warroad gets accused of recruiting a lot. not that i care to defend them, but has there ever been any proof or can anyone come up with names of any players recruited, quotes from coaches, anything like that?
well they got oshie all the way from washington and he was the warroad warriors when he carried them to state and they have gotten alot of quality skaters from the lake of the woods area. it might not be "recruiting" but the are influentional. Many players i know have been approached by warroad coaches talking to them about moving to warroad and helping players parents out with jobs.
Yeah, Oshie came all the way from washington, back to warroad where his family is from. Quality skaters from LOW area? LOL, who would these players be? If you're referring to Ravndalen he's from north of roosevelt which is approx 12 mi from warroad, 24 from Baudette... I'm gonna call BS on you knowing players that were approached by warroad coaches in anyway...lets hear some specifics...
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

warriors07
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:15 am

Post by warriors07 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 pm

SB24 wrote:
nipe'n wrote:
Boooogeyman wrote:seems to me that warroad gets accused of recruiting a lot. not that i care to defend them, but has there ever been any proof or can anyone come up with names of any players recruited, quotes from coaches, anything like that?
well they got oshie all the way from washington and he was the warroad warriors when he carried them to state and they have gotten alot of quality skaters from the lake of the woods area. it might not be "recruiting" but the are influentional. Many players i know have been approached by warroad coaches talking to them about moving to warroad and helping players parents out with jobs.
Yeah, Oshie came all the way from washington, back to warroad where his family is from. Quality skaters from LOW area? LOL, who would these players be? If you're referring to Ravndalen he's from north of roosevelt which is approx 12 mi from warroad, 24 from Baudette... I'm gonna call BS on you knowing players that were approached by warroad coaches in anyway...lets hear some specifics...
You should explain to everyone how chris knapp ended up in warroad for a year.

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:58 pm

well i'm guessing he wanted to play for a real hockey team and get some exposure and good experience. or maybe he wanted to live with relatives for a year. or maybe he realized there aren't any good looking women in PR and needed a change...i don't know, maybe you could tell me?
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

section8a
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Post by section8a » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:11 pm

SB24 wrote:
nipe'n wrote:
Boooogeyman wrote:seems to me that warroad gets accused of recruiting a lot. not that i care to defend them, but has there ever been any proof or can anyone come up with names of any players recruited, quotes from coaches, anything like that?
well they got oshie all the way from washington and he was the warroad warriors when he carried them to state and they have gotten alot of quality skaters from the lake of the woods area. it might not be "recruiting" but the are influentional. Many players i know have been approached by warroad coaches talking to them about moving to warroad and helping players parents out with jobs.
Yeah, Oshie came all the way from washington, back to warroad where his family is from. Quality skaters from LOW area? LOL, who would these players be? If you're referring to Ravndalen he's from north of roosevelt which is approx 12 mi from warroad, 24 from Baudette... I'm gonna call BS on you knowing players that were approached by warroad coaches in anyway...lets hear some specifics...
How about Wyatt Smith. A TRF player, who's dad was given a job at Marvin Windows, so his son could play hockey for Warroad.

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Imagine that, a company that employs 3000+ people in a town of 1700 would have to hire someone from as far away as 90 miles....gasp! Let me help you out, you wanna talk recruits, pick someone you could make a case for. Like maybe someone who's parents didn't move with them...But i guess if Wyatt was your first shot, i'm guessing you don't have any facts...anything else is worthless.
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

section8a
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Post by section8a » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 pm

SB24 wrote:Imagine that, a company that employs 3000+ people in a town of 1700 would have to hire someone from as far away as 90 miles....gasp! Let me help you out, you wanna talk recruits, pick someone you could make a case for. Like maybe someone who's parents didn't move with them...But i guess if Wyatt was your first shot, i'm guessing you don't have any facts...anything else is worthless.
I know this situation, I worked with his mother. I may know a little more about this than you think.

mn4hockey
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Post by mn4hockey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

the ravndalen boy was from warroad before he moved to baudette, then came back to warroad for hs. I know Chris Knapp is a cousin to PJ Stodgell who graduated the same year and was also a hockey player. T.J. Oshie also has a significant amount of family in warroad, for those who didn't know he's related to Henry Boucha. I don't know much about Wyatt, i know his parents still live and work in warroad.

Joey (nine toes) Marcoux
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:13 pm

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

:shock:
The Martell boys come to mind.
:shock:

schwang17
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Post by schwang17 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:00 pm

And to think with all these "recruits," they're still scared to opt up...

mn4hockey
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Post by mn4hockey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:02 pm

My guess is that the martells followed wyatt to warroad, it paid off for them. my guess is that their main reasons for making the move would have been coaching, brand new arena at the time, a better than average chance to go to state maybe.

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:05 pm

section8a wrote:
I know this situation, I worked with his mother. I may know a little more about this than you think.

wow, you're practically famous now! :roll:
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

schwang17 wrote:And to think with all these "recruits," they're still scared to opt up...
Didn't your team just lose to Prairie Center or Long Prairie or whatever ?(its not a good sign when you lose to a team that most people don't know the name of) :idea: :?: :roll: #-o
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

section8a
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Post by section8a » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:14 pm

SB24 wrote:
section8a wrote:
I know this situation, I worked with his mother. I may know a little more about this than you think.

wow, you're practically famous now! :roll:
Wow, thats all you got. You ask for names, you get about a half dozen or so, then all you can do is try to insult people. Maybe you should be what careful about what you ask for.
Last edited by section8a on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:20 pm

you worked with his mother? congrats, what's that prove? and the names? i had to hand feed them to you. If you're going to make a case for recruiting the Martells should be the first names that come to mind, even though i have yet to see or hear any facts about such recruiting...
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

SiouxRecruit
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Jordan, MN
Contact:

Post by SiouxRecruit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 am

SB24 wrote:
schwang17 wrote:And to think with all these "recruits," they're still scared to opt up...
Didn't your team just lose to Prairie Center or Long Prairie or whatever ?(its not a good sign when you lose to a team that most people don't know the name of) :idea: :?: :roll: #-o
SB...you check out that top 10 mr hockey list yet?...didnt see any warroad boys on it.... :wink: ..totally off subject... yet fun....
I land big fish.....

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:45 am

Don't worry Lehrke won't win it, you think he's even close to the same class as a player like Ness?...btw, is having him on the finalist list as good as going to state for you?
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

MN Pond Hockey
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 11:09 am

Post by MN Pond Hockey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:58 am

SB24 wrote:you worked with his mother? congrats, what's that prove? and the names? i had to hand feed them to you. If you're going to make a case for recruiting the Martells should be the first names that come to mind, even though i have yet to see or hear any facts about such recruiting...
Say what you want but we aren't stupid. Its not just a rumor floating around section 8 for all these years. Good players have moved to Warroad and Roseau for a reason. Good chance to play on a team that might go to state, and lots of exposure to maybe get a college scholarship. Maybe they weren't directly recruited all the time, but I sure the heck know Marvins isn't going to be shy about hiring someone's parents if they have a good hockey player in the family.

abc123
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:12 am

Post by abc123 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:04 am

Think what you want! But I know first hand that they contacted a certain Goalie and Goalie's dad from EGF to come up to Warroad and play this year. Included was a job for dad at marvins and set up so they had a place to stay. It happens not through the school but from the town's people. It also has happened with a certain sophomore girl on the EGF team. Believe me it happens.

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:12 am

well since you said believe me, than i guess i will. =D>
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:13 am

MN Pond Hockey wrote:
SB24 wrote:you worked with his mother? congrats, what's that prove? and the names? i had to hand feed them to you. If you're going to make a case for recruiting the Martells should be the first names that come to mind, even though i have yet to see or hear any facts about such recruiting...
Say what you want but we aren't stupid. Its not just a rumor floating around section 8 for all these years. Good players have moved to Warroad and Roseau for a reason. Good chance to play on a team that might go to state, and lots of exposure to maybe get a college scholarship. Maybe they weren't directly recruited all the time, but I sure the heck know Marvins isn't going to be shy about hiring someone's parents if they have a good hockey player in the family.
Right...who cares about that little old company and getting the right person for the job opening, that definitly plays second fiddle to a successful hockey team :? :lol:
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

SiouxRecruit
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Jordan, MN
Contact:

Post by SiouxRecruit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:21 pm

SB24 wrote:Don't worry Lehrke won't win it, you think he's even close to the same class as a player like Ness?...btw, is having him on the finalist list as good as going to state for you?
hahahahahaha :wink: .....not the same class?....they are both D1 material....anything good that happens for PR, you will try and take it away...I find it pretty funny...id much rather see PR go to the Xcel, to answer that question...but its great he made the top ten :D
I land big fish.....

abc123
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:12 am

Post by abc123 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:25 pm

SB24 wrote:well since you said believe me, than i guess i will. =D>
My guess you are one of those towns people. I know it is hard to admitt that your town has to bring in talent to help a program that would do just fine on it's own. But you Warroadites never will admitt it happens. It is something you born to say to anybody who asks about it.

MN Pond Hockey
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 11:09 am

Post by MN Pond Hockey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:20 pm

SB24 wrote: Right...who cares about that little old company and getting the right person for the job opening, that definitly plays second fiddle to a successful hockey team :? :lol:
Marvin Windows Job Application:
1.) Do you have a son that plays hockey? y/n
(If you answered no please check back with us later since we are currently at full staff at this time)(If you said yes please procede to question #2)
2.)What qualifications does your son have? (Wing/Def./Goalie)
3.)Does he have a transcript to show his credentials?(GP/G/A/PM's)
Thank you for your time, our scouts will be evaluating your answers to see if you are qualified to work for us.

Note: we are an equal opportunity employer; wingers, defenseman, and goalies are all welcome.

(I think Polaris uses this template also, they just change the name on the application) :lol:

123-robbiechip&ernie-
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Post by 123-robbiechip&ernie- » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

SB24---I DID NOT read where anyone said that Lehrke would or should
win.I believe Lehrke has much respect for Ness' talent and I'm
sure wishes him the best.So no need to lash out at Lehrke, for
making the 10 finalists list (He surely didn't do the voting).

oldram
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 am

Walker

Post by oldram » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Dion Hebel-Middlebro Manitoba. Lived with WHS AD.

Glen Damota-Chicago, IL. Never played for Warroad. Played 1 year for Warroad JV. Parents move to area next season. Glen falls in love with Broten girl, parents settle in Roseau....

Didn't the Hasbargen's come from Indus or Baudette?

Niklaus Axelsson (sp?). Answered newspaper ad in Swedish paper looking for exchange students. Preferably hockey players.

The Christian Brothers covered Europe and Mike Marvin (now an agent of Warroad HS) covered MN and ND. Mike "technically" wasn't recruiting because the rules refer to recruiting as contacting high school age athletes. Mike was getting to them in Bantams.

I know first hand of a kid from ND who Warroad people were very interested in.

Locked