Best Players ever for your favorite school!!!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
The Hammer
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Best Players ever for your favorite school!!!

Post by The Hammer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:29 pm

Here's another tough one for you hockey historians.

Name your All-Star team from your favorite high school. All time.

I'll wait a bit to name mine. :wink:

slapshot89
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:36 am
Location: Little Falls

Post by slapshot89 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Festler :D

O-townClown
Posts: 3882
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Edina - East, West, combined

Post by O-townClown » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Paul Ranheim and Dave Maley are Edina grads and played in the NHL a long time. Some guys were WCHA stars from Edina West like Wally Champman and Gregg Moore. Older Hornets of note are Bill Nyrop, Craig Norwich, and Bruce McIntosh. I'm sure others can add to the list. Cup-of-coffee NHL guys include Casey and Ben Hankinson and Hayward's own Dan Plante.
Be kind. Rewind.

The Hammer
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Post by The Hammer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Grand Rapids:

Not a Rapids native so I didn't see the teams of the 70's. So I'll go with the players I've watched since 1989.

Forwards:
Chris Marinucci
Pat White
Mike Miskovich


Defense:
Andrew Downing
Alex Gologoski

Goalie: Matti Korhonen

Reggie
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Northwoods

Post by Reggie » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:35 pm

1ST Team.

Pat White
Jim Malwitz
Chris Marinucci
Tony Kellin
Joe Stejskal
Jon Casey

2nd Team.

Jeff Nielsen
John Brill
Kelly Fairchild
Alex Goligoski
Scot Kleinendorst
Jim Jetland


3rd Team.

Eric Lempe
Kurt Kleinendorst
Kirk Neilsen
Bill Baker
Jon Rohloff
Brett Nelson

dangles07
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 pm

Post by dangles07 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:37 am

Jordan Schroeder STA

Lucia4President
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:01 am
Location: Duluth

Post by Lucia4President » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:00 am

Reggie wrote:1ST Team.

Pat White
Jim Malwitz
Chris Marinucci
Tony Kellin
Joe Stejskal
Jon Casey

2nd Team.

Jeff Nielsen
John Brill
Kelly Fairchild
Alex Goligoski
Scot Kleinendorst
Jim Jetland


3rd Team.

Eric Lempe
Kurt Kleinendorst
Kirk Neilsen
Bill Baker
Jon Rohloff
Brett Nelson

How could you ever put Goal-a-game-ski on the second team?

Anyway, #33 is all I have to say.
HOUNDS

EREmpireStrikesBack
Posts: 5140
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:28 am
Location: Minnesota

Elk River

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:27 am

#1. Reggie Simon
#2. Johnny Brummer
#3. Eric "Moose" Hanson
#4. Kelly Plude
#5. Joe Long

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

Donkey9
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 am

Post by Donkey9 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:24 am

Brian Anderson... SCC



____________________
Kind of a Plug thought!

SB24
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Post by SB24 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:31 am

TJ Oshie
Wyatt Smith
Dave Christian

Larry Olimb
Henry Boucha

Chad Erickson

GR3343
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Post by GR3343 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:37 am

1st Team
Aaron Miskovich
Jeff Nielson
Chris Marinucci
Joe Stejskal
Alex Goligoski

Scott Nelson

2nd Team
Kelly Fairchild
Pat White
Grant Bishoff
Tony Kellin
Bill Baker

Chad Huson

3rd Team
John Brill
Dave Holum
Troy Cusey
Jon Rohloff
Jim Bonner

Bill Rosati
Character is who you are when no one is watching

hockey59
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

ANOKA

Post by hockey59 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:39 am

This list is limited to players I've actually seen play either in HS, College, or Alumni games:

Forwards:

Tod Hartje
Reg Berg
John O'Neill
Nate Miller
Jerrid Reinholtz
Cory Belisle
Jon Manthey
Todd Manthey
Benny Hendrick
Andrew Johnson
Ricky Talbot
Berkley Scott

Defense:

Tim Manthey
Ryan Johnson
Matt Sorterberg
Josh Flynn

Goalies:

Kyle Olstad
Dan Scott

blueblood
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am

Playters

Post by blueblood » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:56 am

ERE - this ones for you and the emerging Elk-a-holic players of the late 70's and early 80's:

Goalie - Paul Ostby
Defense - Mike Milless, Greg Dey
Forwards - Joel Otto, Chris Lehn, Kurt Otto

Blueblood
(formerly redblood, ER Class of '83)

EREmpireStrikesBack
Posts: 5140
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:28 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: ANOKA

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:20 am

hockey59 wrote:This list is limited to players I've actually seen play either in HS, College, or Alumni games:
That one made me chuckle a little. You should know that players aren't the same in college or alumni (LOL) games for that matter. Just go with the people you've actually seen play in HS, if you are a fan you would have no problem coming up with some. They don't have to be the best, just the ones you liked to watch.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

hockey59
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: ANOKA

Post by hockey59 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:52 am

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
hockey59 wrote:This list is limited to players I've actually seen play either in HS, College, or Alumni games:
That one made me chuckle a little. You should know that players aren't the same in college or alumni (LOL) games for that matter. Just go with the people you've actually seen play in HS, if you are a fan you would have no problem coming up with some. They don't have to be the best, just the ones you liked to watch.

:idea:
I didn't move to Ramsey until 1994...so I didn't see Berg, Hartje or the Manthey brothers play in HS...but since they all scored over 100 points as HS players, I included them...I also never saw Steve Alley or Steve Magneson play at all...so they were not on the list...although they both scored about 150 points....I've seen the rest play HS hockey and of that bunch, my top line is:

Forwards: John O'Neill 2008 - Jerrid Reinholtz 1998 - Ben Hendrick 2003

Defense: Tim Manthey 2003 - Ryan Johnson 1998

Goalie: Kyle Olstad 2003

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:54 am

Grand Rapids (I've watched since 89 so I'm going with players since then) BTW, how does anyone not put White on the first team?

1st team:
Aaron Miskovich
Patrick White
Chris Marinucci
Alex Goligoski
Joe Stejskal
Goalie: Chad Houston

2nd team:
Jeff Neilsen
Kelly Fairchild
Troy Kusey
Andrew Downing
Steve Wagner
Goalie: Matti Korhonen

3rd team:
Mike Miskovich
Matthew Miskovich
Aaron Murphy
Jon Cleveland
Grant Clafton
Goalie: Grahm Geisler

elliott70
Posts: 13499
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:17 am

Dick Daugherty
Elmer Walls
Oscar Mahle

Gary Wood
Marshall Sether

Larry Roche



Jimmy Amidon
Tim Sheehy
Pat DeMarchi

Neil Sheehy
Jim Knapp

Bob Mason




Dave Brown
Paul Brown
Mike DeBenedet



Tom Herzig
Eric Peterson
Bobby-Jon Elliott

Tony Couture

Undercover Hockey Lover
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:10 pm

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:44 am

I'm NOT QUITE old enough to claim to have seen some of these guys but their reputations and Ram Lore are enough for me. How many do you need?

Rube "The Masked Marvel" Bjorkman
"Doc" Harris and his sons John & Robbie
Austin Wallestad
Dickie Johnson
Dave Wensloff
Richard Roth
Donnie Ross and his boys Mike & Steve
Bobby Lillo
Jim Nelson
Earl Anderson
Mike Baumgartner
Bryan Grand
Bruce Falk
Dale Smedsmo
Gary Ross
Bruce Olson
Mike Stone
Charley & Frank Burgraff
Neal, Aaron & Pauly Broten
"Butsy" Erickson
Billy Yon
Jay Ness
Billy Lund
Chris Gotziaman
Andy Lundbohm
Dustin Byfuglien - played JV I'd still claim him for this. :wink:
Aaron Ness
Tyler Landman

With Oscar and "Mush" behind the bench I would find it hard for anyone to beat this team. All-Time teams from Edina, Grand Rapids and Bloomington Jefferson included.

Can't comment much from 89 to 95 as I didn't see too much Ram Hockey.

Honorable Mention
The Foss Twins and "The Miller Line" :wink:
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!

Newguy07
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:42 am

Post by Newguy07 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:06 pm

Phil Larson 99' State Champs :wink:

SEMinnHockeyNut
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Rochester

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:41 pm

This is a tough one for me since I have not watched them for most of their history, but have been a big fan for about 15 years now.

Rochester Mayo -

Goalies:
Steve DeBus - Gophers (minor pros)
Jeff Jakaitis - Lk. Sup St. (ECHL now)
David Nash - Augsburg

Defense:
Jim and John Johansson - Wisc (before my time) (some NHL?)
Andrew Canzanello -CC (AHL for awhile)
Nick Canzanello - Minnesota St.
Mike Colgan - CC
Todd Huyber - Providence (before my time)
Nick Teachin
Nate Markus
Andrew Gastineau - Air Force/then St. Olaf's

Forwards:
Eric Strobel - Gophers/1980 Olympic team (some NHL until injuries ended his career)
Matt Leimbek - Gophers
Jason Notterman - ND
Scott Thauwald - CC
Jeff Whitney - UW River Falls (when they were D-II, before my time)
Doug Weick - CC (before my time) (with NYI minors team)
Andy Roberts - St. Mary's
Tony Grosso - D-III, Mustangs - USHL
Jeff Schmidt - SCSU

There are others that escape me now....Mayo has had 20+ D-I players in its history.

Maybe Sioux Fan or Goldy313 can help me on this one.

JM - Obvious ones are Zmolek and Podein (both NHL), Scott Lecy, Todd Lecy, Lampman, Teal....others? I know they are they, but they escape me now

Century - Alex Kangas (Gophers), Grimstad, Knoepke, Wicox - only 10 years of choices

Lourdes - The Stuart brothers - Mark, Mike, Colin (all some NHL), Jake Taylor, Brunkhorst - CC, B. Banheman - NAHL now....others?

parrish4president
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by parrish4president » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 pm

name says it all

however, one of my favorite players to watch ever were kangas from rochester and Stegkal (spelling?) from GR was an awesome player

wbmd
Posts: 3810
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Post by wbmd » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:34 pm

SEMinnHockeyNut wrote:This is a tough one for me since I have not watched them for most of their history, but have been a big fan for about 15 years now.

Rochester Mayo -

Goalies:
Steve DeBus - Gophers (minor pros)
Jeff Jakaitis - Lk. Sup St. (ECHL now)
David Nash - Augsburg

Defense:
Jim and John Johansson - Wisc (before my time) (some NHL?)
Andrew Canzanello -CC (AHL for awhile)
Nick Canzanello - Minnesota St.
Mike Colgan - CC
Todd Huyber - Providence (before my time)
Nick Teachin
Nate Markus
Andrew Gastineau - Air Force/then St. Olaf's

Forwards:
Eric Strobel - Gophers/1980 Olympic team (some NHL until injuries ended his career)
Matt Leimbek - Gophers
Jason Notterman - ND
Scott Thauwald - CC
Jeff Whitney - UW River Falls (when they were D-II, before my time)
Doug Weick - CC (before my time) (with NYI minors team)
Andy Roberts - St. Mary's
Tony Grosso - D-III, Mustangs - USHL
Jeff Schmidt - SCSU

There are others that escape me now....Mayo has had 20+ D-I players in its history.

Maybe Sioux Fan or Goldy313 can help me on this one.

JM - Obvious ones are Zmolek and Podein (both NHL), Scott Lecy, Todd Lecy, Lampman, Teal....others? I know they are they, but they escape me now

Century - Alex Kangas (Gophers), Grimstad, Knoepke, Wicox - only 10 years of choices

Lourdes - The Stuart brothers - Mark, Mike, Colin (all some NHL), Jake Taylor, Brunkhorst - CC, B. Banheman - NAHL now....others?
Paul Butters??

SEMinnHockeyNut
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Rochester

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks...I knew I forgot many from before the early 1990's when I moved to Rochester.

HTBronco
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Post by HTBronco » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:03 pm

A few more for Elliott: I Falls

Gary Sampson
Bruce Raboin
Joe Beck
Dave Gingerich
Spanky
Terry Shold
Travis Shold
Ben Gordon
Larry Crosby

elliott70
Posts: 13499
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:21 pm

HTBronco wrote:A few more for Elliott: I Falls

Gary Sampson
Bruce Raboin
Joe Beck
Dave Gingerich
Spanky
Terry Shold
Travis Shold
Ben Gordon
Larry Crosby
I can't believe I left off Spanky, or is this supposed to be Spanky Jr.
Who was much better than Sr. Despite having Sr for a father.

Post Reply