virginia vs. i falls

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

striz

virginia vs. i falls

Post by striz »

thoughts on the game
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

Fall in a tight one
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Broncos by 3
theref

Post by theref »

Don't know if it was reported correctly that I. Falls only beat Greenway 4-3, but if that is true it makes me worry.

Still, I'll say:

I. Falls - 6
Virginia - 2
slapshot89

Post by slapshot89 »

5-3 International Falls
DmnHawk5

Post by DmnHawk5 »

theref wrote:Don't know if it was reported correctly that I. Falls only beat Greenway 4-3, but if that is true it makes me worry.
I am pretty sure that is the right score
RoundBaller

Post by RoundBaller »

Falls 5
Virginia 3
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

Is it I Falls or Virginia?
Home team wins
center ice

Post by center ice »

Should be a better game than the first. Virginia was making some serious adjustments after injuries to Grivette and Buccanero.

Virginia 4
Falls 3
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

Although I hope this is not the case, the Broncos will be very hard to beat in their own house. :?

Broncos 6
Devils 2
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Broncos 5-2.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Originally, my inital though after looking at the 14-1 record and 10-6 record was that the Broncos should be able to battle their way to a victory as long as they didn't take the night off. However, after looking a little closer at these two teams, they are not as far apart as one might think...

Head to Head:
I Falls won 6-3 in Virginia earlier in the season, but the game was 3-2 heading into the 3rd period. Virginia also had injury issues in that game. Virginia is coming off a 3-2 win at Hibbing and a 8-4 win over Two Harbors, while I Falls is coming off a 4-3 win over Greenway at home, where the 4-9 Raiders skated right with the Broncos the entire game and a 3-2 Overtime win over 3-14-1 Lake of the Woods.

Common Opponents:
Hibbing: I Falls 4-2, Virginia 3-2
Eveleth: I Falls 10-1, 10-3, Virginia 10-1
Hermantown: I Falls 4-3, Virginia 3-4 OT (L)
Thief River Falls: I Falls 4-1, Virginia 2-3 (L)

Other Quality wins:
I Falls: 3-2 OT over Lourdes, 3-2 OT over Albert Lea
Virginia: 5-4 over Little Falls, 4-3 over Denfeld, 3-0 over Mayo

Other Quality Opponents:
I Falls: 4-0 loss to Ft. Frances
Virginia: 7-5(EN) loss to Cloquet (Virginia led 5-1 at one point), 5-2 loss to Grand Rapids.

Other notes:
Virginia's other loss came against East Grand Forks in a game that the EGF goalie had 40 saves. The rest of the games on each team's schedule are all games they should have won and did.

This game is in Bronco arena, a place where Virginia has struggled to win with the proven better team in recent years. (Although Brady Hjelle did have a lot to do with that). Still its an advantage to the Broncos.

I'll still take the Broncos, they'll win their third straight game by a 4-3 score. But it wouldn't suprise me if Virginia pulled off the upset here.
theref

Post by theref »

Anyone have an update on this game?
theref

Post by theref »

My bad, don't believe they play till Thursday.
Little Falls Fan

Post by Little Falls Fan »

center ice:

you are crazy to think that Virginia will beat International Falls. Virginia is completely overrated and i dont think that they are that good to beat a great team that is ranked as high as International Falls is
center ice

Post by center ice »

Maybe I am crazy to think that.It's just a gut feeling I have.
Everyone thinks Virginia is overrated? If anything, they are underrated. They,ve won games they've been picked to lose. Games they've lost have been close or they've out shot their opponent. Like I said before, the GR and IF games were adjustment games for Virginia due to MAJOR injuries. They should match up well providing Podpeskar and Judnik will be able to play (I see Podpeskar played at TH). Grivette and Buccanero are still out, but this team has stepped up well in their absence.
Virginia has won games this year against teams that are still ranked ahead of them. It's a good thing these games are played on the rink instead of on paper and computers.
theref

Post by theref »

Seems I. Falls might be on a bit of a slide lately. 4-3 and 3-2(ot) wins over Greenway and L.O.W. don't look very impressive, especially after beating L.O.W. 11-1 earlier in the year.

Elliott, you seem to have an inside track on the Falls, what's going on up there?
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

You hit it on the nose Center Ice. In any case, this game will be a barn burner. The young players of the devils have stepped up and it will be fun to watch them progress as a team in the upcoming years.
displacedIronRanger

Post by displacedIronRanger »

Little Falls Fan: sounds like you are a little bitter that your Flyers still couldn't beat Virginia when they are supposed to be down because they are young and lost Sacchetti. I would have to agree that they have been an extremely underrated team. They continue to get better and post wins and are very young. I don't think these kids know they weren't supposed to be winning. They just play.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

Agreed. If anyone is overrated, its I Falls. They haven't played any great teams and only a few decent teams beating them by 1 or 2 goals at most. I think I Falls, even though it may not be against Virginia, will get upset soon.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

theref wrote:My bad, don't believe they play till Thursday.
Friday, actually.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

theref wrote:Seems I. Falls might be on a bit of a slide lately. 4-3 and 3-2(ot) wins over Greenway and L.O.W. don't look very impressive, especially after beating L.O.W. 11-1 earlier in the year.

Elliott, you seem to have an inside track on the Falls, what's going on up there?
couple of things may be going on...

some guys trying to gather more attention by being scorers....*

some guys under the weather.....*

guys working hard on playing D because of the young goal tender and need to move the puck up the ice and score...

Coach P will get them straight (or lose his job in the process - you know parents).

*two biggest components of the 'slump'
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

PuckRanger wrote:
theref wrote:My bad, don't believe they play till Thursday.
Friday, actually.
Wish I could be there Friday (not Thursday), but alas, I will be sitting around a table with a bunch of old men talking about hockey instead of watching hockey. :(
lowhockey

Post by lowhockey »

I was at the Ifalls LOW game and the falls out shot LOW 56-22...
theref

Post by theref »

elliott70 wrote:
theref wrote:Seems I. Falls might be on a bit of a slide lately. 4-3 and 3-2(ot) wins over Greenway and L.O.W. don't look very impressive, especially after beating L.O.W. 11-1 earlier in the year.

couple of things may be going on...

some guys trying to gather more attention by being scorers....*

some guys under the weather.....*

guys working hard on playing D because of the young goal tender and need to move the puck up the ice and score...

Coach P will get them straight (or lose his job in the process - you know parents).

*two biggest components of the 'slump'
Well let's hope they get rolling again. Hopefully everyone gets on the same page and everyone gets or stays healthy.