Grand Rapids/Anoka 1/26/2008 at the IRA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Grand Rapids/Anoka 1/26/2008 at the IRA

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

predictions
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Rapids 4
Anoka 3

Should be a very interesting 7AA matchup. The winner is in position for the 2 seed, and will probably be #1 if East loses to Cloquet.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Indians 4-2
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Twisters6-3
The Milk Man

Post by The Milk Man »

If Rapids plays as bad as they did against Hibbing and Greenway there is not a chance but i have faith they will pull it off 4-3.
ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey »

Anoka 5
Rapids 3
GR-RoadKill

Post by GR-RoadKill »

Rapids 3
Anoka 2
boblee

post 9717

Post by boblee »

Anyone know when the last meeting was between these two?
boblee

post 9718

Post by boblee »

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

This is Rapids' last chance to beat a quality team. If they win a two seed is probable, if they lose, don't be surprised if they get a 4 or 5 seed. Rapids' play against Hibbing and Greenway does not inspire a lot of confidence. Anoka 3, Grand Rapids 2.
GR3343

Re: post 9717

Post by GR3343 »

boblee wrote:Anyone know when the last meeting was between these two?
State Tournament 1990. Game won by the Indians 4-3 or 3-2 in ot. Was a tourney quarter-final I believe. Steve Magnuson was the Tornado star that year, but was shut down by GR defenseman Tom Whirley.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
Dull Blades

Post by Dull Blades »

Photo finish.... to say this is a critical game for both teams as far as seeding goes is an understatement...

Go Indians.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

A big Twister coming to town 3-1 The boys in orange and black will be outside in the big shinny citiots bus
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

Indians - 4
Tornados - 3
OT
SEE YOU AT THE RINK
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

5-4 Indians. Very late 3rd period goal from Roy. Underwood with 35 saves. Another shorty for Nate. Moore stays red hot with 2 goals.
northwoods oldtimer

Win

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

4-3 win for 'da Indians'. Big game for both clubs but the taconite boys will make sure of the win.
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

For this one I'm going to go with:

Anoka Tornadoes - 4
Grand Rapids Indians - 3

Should be a great game either way and a preview of a potential 7AA match-up.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

GR3343 wrote:5-4 Indians. Very late 3rd period goal from Roy. Underwood with 35 saves. Another shorty for Nate. Moore stays red hot with 2 goals.
What are the shots going to be, by period? :lol:
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Neutron 14 wrote:
GR3343 wrote:5-4 Indians. Very late 3rd period goal from Roy. Underwood with 35 saves. Another shorty for Nate. Moore stays red hot with 2 goals.
What are the shots going to be, by period? :lol:
I know, I know, got a little carried away. Too much late afternoon coffee & staring at the screen in my office. :)
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

Now that's bold.
:wink:
SEE YOU AT THE RINK
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

I'm hoping to make the trek up North. with that said it will be a wind storm for the Indians.

Rapids 6- Anoka 2!!! game on baby.
hockey59

Anoka vs. GR

Post by hockey59 »

Anoka is well aware of the importance of this game.

Getting the #1 seed this season (whoever gets it between Anoka, Cloquet, DE or GR) is especially critical because playing the Cambridge-St Francis winner at home represents essentially a bye to the Semi-Finals... while FL, Andover and ER are all dangerous teams to play in a single elimination format.

Goaltending will be key for both teams. If JD Wells plays like he did in win's over Blaine 3-1 and Centennial 7-4, then GR will really have their hands full.

For the record, Wells has won his last 6 starts:

Blaine 3-1
Andover 1-0 (OT)
Osseo 4-3 (OT)
Champlin Park 4-0
Centennial 7-4
ER 5-3

The other key is whether GR's D can handle the explosive speed of Anoka's top 2 lines:

C O'Neill LW Belisle RW Derks
C Scott LW Olstad RW Olson

FYI - Anoka has the 3 top scorers in Section 7AA (to date).

The Anoka Defense tandems of:

Rush - Lesmeister
Campbell - Manthey

...are all seniors who have played varsity regularly since their sophomore or junior years. The 5th D, junior Jake Sorterberg, is an exceptional skater.

Anoka's Head Coach, Todd Manthey, guided the Tornadoes to the AA State Championship in 2002-2003...defeating heavyweights DE, AHA and Roseville along the way.

I have not seen GR play since last seasons's State AA Tourney (congrats on that the past 2 years), but I am familiar with a few of their players:

Rob Roy is their best forward IMO, he's a magician with the puck, very creative, and works extremely hard...he has played on the same team during the summer with several of Anoka's top players.

Sam Rendle is a very creative, nimble defenseman...largely due to the fact that he played Center through PeeWee's and while playing AAA hockey for the Northern Wings...before converting to D in Bantams & High School.

Matt Jurulle and Shane Greniger are also fast, hard working forwards.

I've seen a lot of predictions so far...most seem to be coming from the NORTHERN heart...it will be a fun game to watch...good luck to the players on both teams...they (not anybody's predictions) will decide it one the ice. :D
Indians forever

Re: Anoka vs. GR

Post by Indians forever »

hockey59 wrote:Anoka is well aware of the importance of this game.

Getting the #1 seed this season (whoever gets it between Anoka, Cloquet, DE or GR) is especially critical because playing the Cambridge-St Francis winner at home represents essentially a bye to the Semi-Finals... while FL, Andover and ER are all dangerous teams to play in a single elimination format.

Goaltending will be key for both teams. If JD Wells plays like he did in win's over Blaine 3-1 and Centennial 7-4, then GR will really have their hands full.

For the record, Wells has won his last 6 starts:

Blaine 3-1
Andover 1-0 (OT)
Osseo 4-3 (OT)
Champlin Park 4-0
Centennial 7-4
ER 5-3

The other key is whether GR's D can handle the explosive speed of Anoka's top 2 lines:

C O'Neill LW Belisle RW Derks
C Scott LW Olstad RW Olson

FYI - Anoka has the 3 top scorers in Section 7AA (to date).

The Anoka Defense tandems of:

Rush - Lesmeister
Campbell - Manthey

...are all seniors who have played varsity regularly since their sophomore or junior years. The 5th D, junior Jake Sorterberg, is an exceptional skater.

Anoka's Head Coach, Todd Manthey, guided the Tornadoes to the AA State Championship in 2002-2003...defeating heavyweights DE, AHA and Roseville along the way.

I have not seen GR play since last seasons's State AA Tourney (congrats on that the past 2 years), but I am familiar with a few of their players:

Rob Roy is their best forward IMO, he's a magician with the puck, very creative, and works extremely hard...he has played on the same team during the summer with several of Anoka's top players.

Sam Rendle is a very creative, nimble defenseman...largely due to the fact that he played Center through PeeWee's and while playing AAA hockey for the Northern Wings...before converting to D in Bantams & High School.

Matt Jurulle and Shane Greniger are also fast, hard working forwards.

I've seen a lot of predictions so far...most seem to be coming from the NORTHERN heart...it will be a fun game to watch...good luck to the players on both teams...they (not anybody's predictions) will decide it one the ice. :D
I agree with just about everything you just said except, Getting the #1 seed this season (whoever gets it between Anoka, Cloquet, DE or GR) is especially critical because playing the Cambridge-St Francis winner at home represents essentially a bye to the Semi-Finals... That is never the case. Otherwise you are right on!!!
speakingthetruth

Post by speakingthetruth »

Anoka - 5
Grand Rapids - 2
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I'll go Anoka 4
GR 2