Roseau or Edina? Whos the best?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is the cream of the crop?

Roseau Rams
66%
Edina hornets
34%

Total votes: 174

DasCondor

Post by DasCondor »

just letting you guys know roseau did lose to minnetonka in a scrimmage about a week after tryouts 1-0 . so edina is better
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Its OK to talk about who the best high school hockey team in Minnesota is without waiting for the state tournament to decide it. Winning the state tournament doesnt necessarily mean you are the best team.

Was Roseau the best team last year? CDH in 06? Maybe, but a lot of people dont think so.

I think it is hands down Edina because they are 20-1 playing a very difficult schedule.

We can talk about who has the best players and who has the most talent etc, etc, but when you compare seasons, Edina is havng a monster one.

There may be good reasons why Roseau plays the schedule that they do and thats fine but it is what its is and its a soft schedule.

It may get decided on the ice, if one game decides anything, but I cant recall a team having a better season than Edina is having this year. If they finish 24-1, I dont care who wins the state tournamnet.
DasCondor

Post by DasCondor »

packerboy wrote:Its OK to talk about who the best high school hockey team in Minnesota is without waiting for the state tournament to decide it. Winning the state tournament doesnt necessarily mean you are the best team.

Was Roseau the best team last year? CDH in 06? Maybe, but a lot of people dont think so.

I think it is hands down Edina because they are 20-1 playing a very difficult schedule.

We can talk about who has the best players and who has the most talent etc, etc, but when you compare seasons, Edina is havng a monster one.

There may be good reasons why Roseau plays the schedule that they do and thats fine but it is what its is and its a soft schedule.

It may get decided on the ice, if one game decides anything, but I cant recall a team having a better season than Edina is having this year. If they finish 24-1, I dont care who wins the state tournamnet.
they do have to beat tonka at PAC will be their toughest test, lets hope Roseau wins out with their schedule
Amos

Post by Amos »

packerboy wrote: Was Roseau the best team last year? CDH in 06? Maybe, but a lot of people dont think so.

The best team in Minnesota last year was Moorhead. They were the only ones to give the eventual Champs a run for their money and most know that it was an upset. If Roseau hadn't upset them they would have walked straight through. Edina and AHA were overrated. Just like this year at least a half dozen northern CLASS A teams could beat half of Edina's "difficult" schedule.
Zeke16

Post by Zeke16 »

Dream on Amos, and can I have some of that smoke? It must really be good
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Amos wrote:
packerboy wrote: Was Roseau the best team last year? CDH in 06? Maybe, but a lot of people dont think so.

The best team in Minnesota last year was Moorhead. They were the only ones to give the eventual Champs a run for their money and most know that it was an upset. If Roseau hadn't upset them they would have walked straight through. Edina and AHA were overrated. Just like this year at least a half dozen northern CLASS A teams could beat half of Edina's "difficult" schedule.
Thats a good point Amos but you see, Edina has to play the whole schedule not just half. :wink:
HockeyFan1

Post by HockeyFan1 »

Zeke16 wrote:Dream on Amos, and can I have some of that smoke? It must really be good
Since this is all about "speculation" apparently, .........it definitely "could" happen....yes, Edina would beat most of the teams Roseau plays......but I also bet many teams from up "north" could beat the teams that Edina faces as well .... maybe even Edina.
DasCondor

Post by DasCondor »

HockeyFan1 wrote:
Zeke16 wrote:Dream on Amos, and can I have some of that smoke? It must really be good
Since this is all about "speculation" apparently, .........it definitely "could" happen....yes, Edina would beat most of the teams Roseau plays......but I also bet many teams from up "north" could beat the teams that Edina faces as well .... maybe even Edina.

what team that roseau has played could beat edina?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Most people don't think Roseau was the best team last year? On which planet?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Slap Shot wrote:
The one south of HWY 2...
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

The planet Amos is on, for one.
Amos

Post by Amos »

packerboy wrote:Its OK to talk about who the best high school hockey team in Minnesota is without waiting for the state tournament to decide it. Winning the state tournament doesnt necessarily mean you are the best team.
This kind of talk Packerboy, only serves to protect you from feeling bad after the Tournament when a "2007" happens and all four top teams (Champs and Runners-up) are from the North. The north is largely written off because the metro schedules happen in the metro "bubble". If you're the best in Minnesota you should be able to prove it through the playoffs. Upsets are the exception......not the rule.
JV State Champs

Post by JV State Champs »

JEFFERSON almost beat Roseau no chance the jaguars would fare that well against the hornets. Roseau has yet to see a true test.
Amos

Post by Amos »

JV State Champs wrote:JEFFERSON almost beat Roseau no chance the jaguars would fare that well against the hornets. Roseau has yet to see a true test.
The Jaguars only losses are to Roseau, Burnsville twice and a split with Rosemount. I think they would give Edina a good run for their money. Nice season, Jags! Darkhorse?
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Amos wrote:
This kind of talk Packerboy, only serves to protect you from feeling bad after the Tournament when a "2007" happens and all four top teams (Champs and Runners-up) are from the North. The north is largely written off because the metro schedules happen in the metro "bubble". If you're the best in Minnesota you should be able to prove it through the playoffs. Upsets are the exception......not the rule.
First of all, we dont have 'playoffs', we have a state tournament. The best 8 teams are rarely there and wont be this year and not because of upsets but because of sections.

2007 doesnt make me feel bad at all, its good for hockey. I was as sick and tired of the trophy being traded back and forth between one big suburb to another as any northern fan was. As many are aware, this lead me on a Crusade from which I have yet to recover.

Upsets are the rule in section play in the metro. They happen a lot because the sections are deeper not in a bubble.

When I first started following high school hockey about 100 years ago, we metro people had no problem with saying just the opposite about the north.

The old IRC and section battles up there paled anything in the metro. That's all changed now. Admit it... like we used to.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

everyone keeps coming up with scores on here but have yet to comment on the big one. one common apponant brainerd 2 edina 6 brainerd o roseau 7. soooooooo how do you answer that one? i have one more for ya grand rapids 2 edina 3 lets just see here in a few weeks if rapids can stay within one of the rams. something tells me not!!!!
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

JV State Champs wrote:JEFFERSON almost beat Roseau no chance the jaguars would fare that well against the hornets. Roseau has yet to see a true test.
No team brings their "A" game every night. Whose to say that on that night it was the Jags "A" vs Roseaus "B" or even "C". You can't use one third party game and say this or that would happed.

Of course with Roseaus schedule, even "C" games result in victorys. (see Crookston)
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

i dont think that was roseau "c" game they had like 63 shots on net. roseau has weaknesses one of them is putting the puck away. ive watched them dominate many games this season without putting up the numbers. they pass better against better teams which usually brings better results.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Edina very well could be the best team in the state. Many people on here will say Roseau is not the best team in the state even if they win the state title. It will likely be that they played a weak schedule, had easy sections and the better metro teams got upset in their deep powerful sections and if Edina wins, it will be because they are the best team of course. Roseau plays the schedule they play and it will for the most part always be the same, get over it. They have had one common opponent and the score was very similar. Edina has lost once to a team that is ranked high and doesn't get any crap even though they play a schedule PS2 ranked about the same as Roseau's. The one I can't figure out is why Edina chose not play in the toughest division in the Schwan Cup. The thing I love about this whole discussion is that we are comparing two teams, one that is small even by class "A" standards, to the large metro power. Kind of amazing and exciting for high school hockey, isn't it?
Amos

Post by Amos »

packerboy wrote:Upsets are the rule in section play in the metro. They happen a lot because the sections are deeper not in a bubble.
I'll agree they are more balanced......but not deeper.
yasoguy

Post by yasoguy »

I know this is a discussion board regarding various topics (best team(s) in the state being one of those topics. It's fun to go back and forth on a certain topic for a time, but there also comes a time to let it lay....

People who support Edina will believe their team is better and people who support Roseau will believe their team is better. That's fine. Until that game is played (if it is), we won't know. I also believe that if Roseau beats Edina they are better and if Edina beats Roseau, Edina is better.

Kind of makes me long for the days when you didn't know so much about other teams. When you got to the big dance that was reward enough. To see the other areas of the state represented was fun. And if the team that won was 14-10 in the regular season, so be it. They played the best hockey at the time when they needed to play their "A" game.

Last time I checked there were NO " * " next to past winners of the state tournaments (TEIR 2 NO INCLUDED). Let's just sit back and enjoy the ride (whomever wins!)
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Green and White Fan wrote: The thing I love about this whole discussion is that we are comparing two teams, one that is small even by class "A" standards, to the large metro power. Kind of amazing and exciting for high school hockey, isn't it?
Dang strait!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Neutron 14 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
The one south of HWY 2...
I thought that was the edge of the earth, and you'd fall off if you ventured south of it.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

east hockey wrote:I thought that was the edge of the earth, and you'd fall off if you ventured south of it.

Lee
Just a "Flannel Headism"!
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

packerboy wrote:

And exactly how could they finish the season 24-1? Edina just going to skip the section tournament? Must be that new math :roll: