#1 roseau vs. #2 moorhead

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

winner?

roseau
75%
moorhead
25%

Total votes: 149

HockeyFan1

Post by HockeyFan1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 am

steveperry91 wrote:If Anoka can beat Grand rapids 6-0 they can definately Slaughter Roseau!! But the spuds will lose 7-2 in this one.
yeah, "definitely" slaughter :roll:

61ache

Post by 61ache » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 am

SB24 wrote:Isn't Oliver from the FM area originally?
I think he's a Canuck

2nd string

Post by 2nd string » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:52 am

Mike Lee has never lost in any of his varsity starts and I do not see him loosing this one. Then in front of him you have a solid defensive core. With three great lines.

redwings2stanley2

Post by redwings2stanley2 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:44 pm

Roso will absolutely throttle moorhead...
roso 8-1

The_Phantom_Enigma

Post by The_Phantom_Enigma » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:55 pm

SB24 wrote:Isn't Oliver from the FM area originally?
They're are from the Crookston... not sure where Coach Oliver grew up (he is Canadian), but that's where Nick is from.
[--Phantom Of The North Rink--]

hkymomx5

Post by hkymomx5 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:49 pm

im not sure who i would go with on this one. moorhead looked very good against one of the top metro teams on tv. i think it was hill murry. ill say its a toss up either way by one goal possibly in ot.

hockeywatcher4

Post by hockeywatcher4 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:18 pm

go moorhead!!

BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Oliver is a Moorhead State Alumn, he's from Canada, was a hockey and football coach at UM Crookston before coming to Roseau. I have no idea why i know all this, but i do, so there you have it.

The Spuds will come to play, but if the Rams pack their skates and play anything like they did against Buffalo, the Spuds don't stand much of a chance. IF the Rams don't show up to play, Moorhead can win, but i don't see the Rams not being ready for this one. They're rollin' right now with the best goaltender in the state IMO. They'll be tough to beat. 3-0 Rams with inspiring play by the Spuds, but ulitmately they'll get mashed. I prefer mine with some sour cream and some S&P, maybe a little cheese and bacon bits. Yum!

SB24

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:04 pm

BERG RENOLZ wrote:Oliver is a Moorhead State Alumn, he's from Canada, was a hockey and football coach at UM Crookston before coming to Roseau. I have no idea why i know all this, but i do, so there you have it.

The Spuds will come to play, but if the Rams pack their skates and play anything like they did against Buffalo, the Spuds don't stand much of a chance. IF the Rams don't show up to play, Moorhead can win, but i don't see the Rams not being ready for this one. They're rollin' right now with the best goaltender in the state IMO. They'll be tough to beat. 3-0 Rams with inspiring play by the Spuds, but ulitmately they'll get mashed. I prefer mine with some sour cream and some S&P, maybe a little cheese and bacon bits. Yum!
i knew there was a moorhead connection in there somewhere, he played football there correct?

Your analysis is missing one vital link... Slappathia picked roso to win, spells bad news for da rams.
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008

HockeyFan1

Post by HockeyFan1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:12 pm

SB24 wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:Oliver is a Moorhead State Alumn, he's from Canada, was a hockey and football coach at UM Crookston before coming to Roseau. I have no idea why i know all this, but i do, so there you have it.

i knew there was a moorhead connection in there somewhere, he played football there correct?

Your analysis is missing one vital link... Slappathia picked roso to win, spells bad news for da rams.
Nice to see ol' Slappy on board -

Rams win - and Slappy can keep postin his great comments!

orange&black

Post by orange&black » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:19 pm

He also was an assistant hockey & football coach for the Spuds in the mid 80's. And I know exactly why I know this because I can still remember that beet red face yelling at the top of his lunds both on the field and on the ice!

slapshooter

7,358th post by SS since Feb 27th 2002~What'd I tell ya?~

Post by slapshooter » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:33 pm

=P~ :arrow: SImageS :arrow: UNDEFEATED :arrow: 2ImageImage8

BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:52 pm

SB24 wrote:

Yes, that's right, i believe he played football in the CFL for awhile as well. I don't even know the guy, but apparently i know everything he's done in his life. :lol:

hwkfan

Post by hwkfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:58 pm

roso
3-1 after the first
game ending 5 or 6 - 1

pistol

Post by pistol » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Go SP---

Go SPU--

Heck, I can't say it!

The_Phantom_Enigma

Post by The_Phantom_Enigma » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:19 pm

pistol wrote:Go SP---

Go SPU--

Heck, I can't say it!
:lol: :lol:
[--Phantom Of The North Rink--]

newSPUDfan

Post by newSPUDfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 pm

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:
newSPUDfan wrote:Taters-3
Sheep - 2

Upset special! taking into account....

4) the history between these teams (neither has swept a 3 game season series before)
Not true. The Spuds did beat Roseau 3 times in '03-04' and '04-'05. The third time in '05 was for the section title.
I stand corrected. sorry.

rightwinger

Post by rightwinger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 pm

hwkfan wrote:roso
3-1 after the first
game ending 5 or 6 - 1
Sounds about right. I predict Moorhead's soph o more goalie to be a little nervous in the first period and let in some early soft goals...

Knowing Roseau, I could see Oliver leaving for Concordia. Less pressure. Better salary. Your boss is God instead of The Legion Posse.

McDangles

Post by McDangles » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Roseau takes this one 5-1

hshockey17

Post by hshockey17 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Roseau-4

Moorhead-1

Ness scores 2 to send them packing for St. Paul

oldram

Roseau Moorhead

Post by oldram » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Oliver also coached and won a state football championship at Dylworth/Gyndon/Felton High School. He has success wherever he goes. Must do something right.

I can't believe nobody commented on the spelling of GENIOUS earlier in the thread. You guy usually run with that stuff right away.

I'm just curious. Maybe I'm a little slow....but what difference does it make what type of schedule you play during the year? Weak or strong, you still have to beat every team you play in the playoffs or you don't win the tournament. This weak schedule keeps getting mentioned as a possible stumbling block for Roseau. Can somebody explain this to me?

SB24

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:26 pm

Ok, i'll break it down for ya...been around sports much?

Here goes: Theory goes, the harder schedule in the regular season will better prepare you for those tough, gritty, stressful playoff games. Playing a cupcake schedule will help you pile up the wins and points for your star players, but will leave you hanging out to dry come playoff/state tournament time (Think Park Rapids).

Did you really need that explained? :roll:

oldram

Roseau Moorhead

Post by oldram » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm

I've played a little bit.

Didn't Roseau play pretty much the same schedule last year?

I'll bet the schedule was similar in 1999 and 1990.

Warroad I hate to say it plays a very similar schedule and they've had some recent success.

Stephen/Argyle Central has won 5 straight 9 man football championships playing the same schedule each year until the state playoffs. Nobody comes within 40 points of them during the regular season.

I don't see the connection.

SB24

Post by SB24 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Tell that to SiouxRecruit AKA Suzy and the rest of the Peanut Gallery. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but the basic rule of thumb is a harder schedule does a better job preparing you...nevermind, why am i actually explaining this.

oldram

Roseau Moorhead

Post by oldram » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 pm

I can see your point. My point is Roseau is a good team and it doesn't matter who they play. You still have to win.

Teams that win all or most of the one goal games they play in are usually pretty good teams. Roseau has had quite a few 1 goal games this year.

I wouldn't write them off because of who they have played. They usually play to their competition. I don't think we've seen their best yet.