#2 Duluth Marshall v.s. Mankato West

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win

Poll ended at Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 am

Duluth Marshall
57%
Mankato West
43%

Total votes: 117

fubar-errr-what

Post by fubar-errr-what »

rams80 wrote:West would be better served to skip getting blown out on Wednesday and show up fresh at Mariucci Thursday morning.
west number 2 because lourdes beat them head to head
snapdog

Post by snapdog »

I will be happy to tell you what DM brings to the table. They bring 3 strong lines, they move the puck out of there defensive zone as well as any team in the state and goaltending is strong with 2 goalies. What I,m saying is there is basically no weaknesses and if they are clicking on all cylinders no one will beat them. I,m not saying they can,t be beat but its kind of like playing Tiger Woods you need your A game and better hope there playing there C game which I highly doubt with the intensity the State Tournament brings and the mission they are on. DM also plays in the Lake Superior Conference which was a State Tournament in itself this season with teams like Duluth East, Cloquet, Superior Wis, Denfeld, Hermantown. Does MW play a schedule like Marshall does playing the best teams in the state all year and getting no breaks playing the quality teams in there own conference to boot? I want to say congrats to MW its not easy getting to state. I just believe DM has come so close being the bridesmaid twice recently. They will be on a mission. They are not just happy to get there even though Hibbing who always gels at the end of the year and knows how to play a big game gave them all the trouble they needed in the Section 7A championship. Just my opinion.
Last edited by snapdog on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do I have to shadow Pavelich again coach?
Jacketfan06

Post by Jacketfan06 »

DM 5

Mankato West 2
*Carolina Hurricanes 2006 Stanley Cup Champions*
Edger

Post by Edger »

fubar-errr-what wrote:
scarletalum_16 wrote:IF and i mean IF west loses to DM on Wednesday they will not lose on Thursday. They arguably could have received the #4 seed and should not be overlooked. If you had seen any games you might be so ignorant the the talent they are bringing to the tourney.
I guarantee West loses. West did not deserve no 4 seed. LF would of had the seed before West considering they beat Lourdes when they played them in the regular season and West split with Lourdes. Also LF has been ranked above West all year. Neither of the teams should of been in front of St. Cloud anyways. And West will not even stand a chance because their breakout consists of flicking the puck 50 feet up in the air and having their forwards chase it. That may of worked against these 1A defenseman but definately will not work against this DM team. They are way to fast and physical. We all know when a team puts the body on West they sit in the sin bin all game long. i dont see any first round upsets in single A its a little different then AA. But Dano Jocques, Landon Olson, Scott Michela, Derek Stauber, and the tender Willie Paul are just to good for L&L to shoot the zone all game.

oh ya. west's goalie better watch out for Dano's snipe we all seen that performance last year he put on Crandall from STA whose now playing USHL.

DM- at least 5
West- at most 2
Question for anyone from DM ...
Has Landon Olson always played in Duluth?
Name sounds familiar from somewhere else.
Just asking.
snapdog

Post by snapdog »

Edger wrote:
fubar-errr-what wrote:
scarletalum_16 wrote:IF and i mean IF west loses to DM on Wednesday they will not lose on Thursday. They arguably could have received the #4 seed and should not be overlooked. If you had seen any games you might be so ignorant the the talent they are bringing to the tourney.
I guarantee West loses. West did not deserve no 4 seed. LF would of had the seed before West considering they beat Lourdes when they played them in the regular season and West split with Lourdes. Also LF has been ranked above West all year. Neither of the teams should of been in front of St. Cloud anyways. And West will not even stand a chance because their breakout consists of flicking the puck 50 feet up in the air and having their forwards chase it. That may of worked against these 1A defenseman but definately will not work against this DM team. They are way to fast and physical. We all know when a team puts the body on West they sit in the sin bin all game long. i dont see any first round upsets in single A its a little different then AA. But Dano Jocques, Landon Olson, Scott Michela, Derek Stauber, and the tender Willie Paul are just to good for L&L to shoot the zone all game.

oh ya. west's goalie better watch out for Dano's snipe we all seen that performance last year he put on Crandall from STA whose now playing USHL.

DM- at least 5
West- at most 2
Question for anyone from DM ...
Has Landon Olson always played in Duluth?
Name sounds familiar from somewhere else.
Just asking.
Landon is from Alex (Alexandria) and is a really fine player who has a chance at the next level.
MinnyKG

Post by MinnyKG »

Top 20 Goals Differential
1. Mankato West (5.4)
2. St. Thomas Academy (4.4)
3. Albert Lea (4.0)
4. Little Falls (4.0)
5. Park Rapids/Menahga/Nevis (3.5)
6. International Falls (3.3)
7. Duluth Marshall (3.3)

1 Ricky Litchfield, Mankato West ,Sr, F, 33-56-89
2 Zach Lehrke, Park Rapids, Sr, F, 48-40-88
3 Beau Hanowski, Little Falls, Sr, F, 42-41-83
4 Ben Hanowski, Little Falls, Jr, F, 33-40-73
5 Corey Leivermann, Mankato West, Sr, F, 39-32-71

hmmm...
fubar-errr-what

snapdog wrote:I will be happy to tell you what DM brings to the table. They bring 3 strong lines, they move the puck out of there defensive zone as well as any team in the state and goaltending is strong with 2 goalies. What I,m saying is there is basically no weaknesses and if they are clicking on all cylinders no one will beat them. I,m not saying they can,t be beat but its kind of like playing Tiger Woods you need your A game and better hope there playing there C game which I highly doubt with the intensity the State Tournament brings and the mission they are on. DM also plays in the Lake Superior Conference which was a State Tournament in itself this season with teams like Duluth East, Cloquet, Superior Wis, Denfeld, Hermantown. Does MW play a schedule like Marshall does playing the best teams in the state all year and getting no breaks playing the quality teams in there own conference to boot? I want to say congrats to MW its not easy getting to state. I just believe DM has come so close being the bridemaid twice recently. They will be on a mission. They are not just happy to get there even though Hibbing who always gels at the end of the year and knows how to play a big game gave them all the trouble they needed in the Section 7A championship. Just my opinion.
well said bud, also mankato west has no experience in the state tournament like DM does being there the past few years. So DM will be used to this atmosphere.

MinnyKG whats your point with them little stats??
Last edited by fubar-errr-what on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edger

Post by Edger »

Thanks snapdog.
Remember him when he was a tyke.
Always a scrapper.
Wondered why he wasn't ripping it up in Alex anymore.
Man, the good programs just get stronger, don't they?
snapdog

Post by snapdog »

Edger wrote:Thanks snapdog.
Always a scrapper.
Hey Edger I never seen him play before this season. He is a transfer and is still not big. I would guess he is 5'10" 160. He is a fine skater and a great playmaker and most importantly a super competitor. Edger I,m not from DM I,m from Two Harbors 20 miles from Duluth. The hockey up here was incredible this year. My sons all done playing so I attended every great matchup I could this season when I was off work. It was just nice to see all the great hockey and I can,t wait for this State Tournament. Hey I might not agree with open enrollment and all but its the way it is right now and for me with no home team to root for (all I love is great hockey) and thats all that matters. I will be excited to see Mankato West play as well as every team that made the show.
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

MinnyKG wrote:Top 20 Goals Differential ----- Strength of Schedule
1. Mankato West (5.4) ----- 119 out of 154 teams
]2. St. Thomas Academy (4.4) ----- 26 out of 154
3. Albert Lea (4.0) ----- 109 out of 154
4. Little Falls (4.0) ----- 101 out of 154
5. Park Rapids/Menahga/Nevis (3.5)----- 132 out of 154
6. International Falls (3.3) ----- 79 out of 154
7. Duluth Marshall (3.3) ----- 59 out of 154

hmmm...
pretty easy to put up big numbers against teams that win 5 games a year
not saying those players aren't talented, just saying they were definately playing lesser teams
7A22A

Post by 7A22A »

hawkfan70 wrote:
MinnyKG wrote:Top 20 Goals Differential ----- Strength of Schedule
1. Mankato West (5.4) ----- 119 out of 154 teams
]2. St. Thomas Academy (4.4) ----- 26 out of 154
3. Albert Lea (4.0) ----- 109 out of 154
4. Little Falls (4.0) ----- 101 out of 154
5. Park Rapids/Menahga/Nevis (3.5)----- 132 out of 154
6. International Falls (3.3) ----- 79 out of 154
7. Duluth Marshall (3.3) ----- 59 out of 154

hmmm...
pretty easy to put up big numbers against teams that win 5 games a year
not saying those players aren't talented, just saying they were definately playing lesser teams
Numbers sound similar to what Little Falls did last year. Not saying that they are the same talent level. By the way, where did Little Falls place in last years tournament?
Edger

Post by Edger »

snapdog wrote:
Edger wrote:Thanks snapdog.
Always a scrapper.
Hey Edger I never seen him play before this season. He is a transfer and is still not big. I would guess he is 5'10" 160. He is a fine skater and a great playmaker and most importantly a super competitor. Edger I,m not from DM I,m from Two Harbors 20 miles from Duluth. The hockey up here was incredible this year. My sons all done playing so I attended every great matchup I could this season when I was off work. It was just nice to see all the great hockey and I can,t wait for this State Tournament. Hey I might not agree with open enrollment and all but its the way it is right now and for me with no home team to root for (all I love is great hockey) and thats all that matters. I will be excited to see Mankato West play as well as every team that made the show.
Well put, my man.
I'm in your boat, I'm for whatever creates the best HS hockey.
I didn't mean anything bad about Landon's move.
Just that they are lucky to have such a player.
He was always the smallest and youngest every year I saw him play, and that never slowed him down. Admire players like that.
Kept seeing Markstrom (similar player) for Alex doing well, and wondered where his sidekick Landon was.
fan2007

Post by fan2007 »

All I can say is West will have their hands full, but they have more of a chance than most will give them credit for.
minyhocky

Post by minyhocky »

giving up 41 shots in the section final is nothing to be proud of. Mankato will have to cut that number in half against Marshall to make this game even close. You can't win with just offense.
hockeyfan_atic

Post by hockeyfan_atic »

minyhocky wrote:giving up 41 shots in the section final is nothing to be proud of. Mankato will have to cut that number in half against Marshall to make this game even close. You can't win with just offense.
40 of those shots were from outside the dots, or just past the blue line.
What's Hockey?

Post by What's Hockey? »

mankato west is pretty solid in my mind
and will give duluth a run for their money.
west has 3 lines that can all do a lot of
damage. i believe this game comes down
to who wants it the worst and who's gonna
have the energy come the third period.
Should be a great game

Good luck to both teams
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

rams80 wrote:West would be better served to skip getting blown out on Wednesday and show up fresh at Mariucci Thursday morning.
8) 8) 8)
hockey__90

Post by hockey__90 »

This is going to be a great game, cant wait to watch it. Id say west is going to take it 2-1.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

scarletalum_16 wrote:I think west will come out with a physical game that will catch DM off guard. And west has more than 2 goal scorers. yes litchfield and leivermann have carried the load, but the games i've seen them play this year have not been only those two burying the puck.
Marshall will not be caught off guard by a physical game, they just played an extremely physical game against hibbing. They will be prepared for that. If west doesnt come out playing physical, this one will get ugly.
fubar-errr-what

hockey__90 wrote:This is going to be a great game, cant wait to watch it. Id say west is going to take it 2-1.
Is it true the Mankato West goalie Tyler Bruggerman was hurt tonight reffing a youth hockey game and had to go the hospital?
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

fubar-errr-what wrote:
hockey__90 wrote:This is going to be a great game, cant wait to watch it. Id say west is going to take it 2-1.
Is it true the Mankato West goalie Tyler Bruggerman was hurt tonight reffing a youth hockey game and had to go the hospital?
What?? Anyone have any info on this??
gopher fan

Post by gopher fan »

fubar-errr-what wrote:
Yes, it is true, details are sketchy
Tigerpride2

Post by Tigerpride2 »

If DM sticks to the traditional northern MN hockey style and plays a physical game they will win. The key to beating Mankato West is to put bodies on leiverman and litchfield, also watch for #7 anderson on the second line. These kids are quick but hate being hit and can lose their heads easily. DM 4 MW 2
Husky11

Post by Husky11 »

SCOREY will show why he's a Maverick..

West has a chance here to surprise a lot of people.. without a doubt kenny will get his boys ready as well.

Tyler I'm sure is fine.
hockeyfan_atic

Post by hockeyfan_atic »

100% sure Tyler is fine.. a puck just hit him in the elbow and it hit a nerve so it made him get light headed and he passed out.. and the only reason they made him go to the hospital was because he hit his head when he passed out but he is the same ol' brick wall and will be ready to shut out the hilltoppers on wednesday 8)