destiny of the Cadets

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyballer07

destiny of the Cadets

Post by hockeyballer07 »

st. thomas got their class A title. Next year are they going AA or walk through
A and go back to back?
Hockeyguy_27

Re: destiny of the Cadets

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

hockeyballer07 wrote:st. thomas got their class A title. Next year are they going AA or walk through
A and go back to back?
Without Issacson who is reportedly going to Ann Arbor, Walters-who is headed to the USHL and the loss of several good senior defensemen, I don't think they'll walk through the state next season. As far as opting up to AA, I think they have to wait 1 more year as this option is available in 2 year cycles--which they are 1 year in to.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
hockeyballer07 wrote:st. thomas got their class A title. Next year are they going AA or walk through
A and go back to back?
Without Issacson who is reportedly going to Ann Arbor, Walters-who is headed to the USHL and the loss of several good senior defensemen, I don't think they'll walk through the state next season. As far as opting up to AA, I think they have to wait 1 more year as this option is available in 2 year cycles--which they are 1 year in to.
get that admin to step up and play with the big boys. You have the talent. So you don't go to state every year, so what. You will be fine. Otherwise you will go back to running the valet parking and ushering as you have donw in the past.
deacon

Post by deacon »

Zamman wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
A and go back to back?
get that admin to step up and play with the big boys. You have the talent. So you don't go to state every year, so what. You will be fine. Otherwise you will go back to running the valet parking and ushering as you have donw in the past.
what don't you guys understand about having to wait before they can move up? how are you guys forgetting that before 2004, there only appearance was in 1999. its not like they have been this impressive for a long time. i agree, however, that i would like them to move up, the problem is they can't.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

deacon wrote:
Zamman wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote: Without Issacson who is reportedly going to Ann Arbor, Walters-who is headed to the USHL and the loss of several good senior defensemen, I don't think they'll walk through the state next season. As far as opting up to AA, I think they have to wait 1 more year as this option is available in 2 year cycles--which they are 1 year in to.
what don't you guys understand about having to wait before they can move up? how are you guys forgetting that before 2004, there only appearance was in 1999. its not like they have been this impressive for a long time. i agree, however, that i would like them to move up, the problem is they can't.
I understand and thought I articulated this in my post. :oops:
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

Zamman wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
A and go back to back?
In a heated discussion with a STA parent, he basically said STA shouldn't go to AA because they wouldn't go to state every year. If that's the attitude amongst all at STA, they'll never go AA.

He also said that STA shouldn't be lumped together with AHA, Hill and Benilde (as far as opting up)...because they had double the enrollment of STA. He's right, the amount of guys at STA is about the half of the amount of people at the other schools. He also brought up "Why shouldn't Cathedral and Warroad be forced to move to AA?"

Make of that what you want, but like I said...If the Admin at STA share those same views, they'll always be class A.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

No Zamman, they're not your beloved stars. They have POTENTIAL, but they don't "have the talent" for the future. They are losing their top 4 forwards, two are seniors, and two are leaving for bigger and better things. Also, of their 8 D, 6 are seniors. They have a good JV team, so they should be fine, but next year should be interesting.
HShockeywatcher

I think I'm saying exactly what Blanda just said, but of Cretin, Holy Angels, Hill, Benilde, Marshall, Blake, Breck, and Totino Cretin is the only one that has more boys than St Thomas. I think Totino has maybe 20 less. Hill and Benilde are each about 100 less, with Beck and Blake being a couple hundred less.

Not going every year isn't a good reason for not opting up, but if you're not good enough to be competitive you shouldn't opt up.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

I'd be curious what Anders Lee's take on this topic is. If he had stayed at STA he would have won a state A title, but he left and lost in the AA finals. I'm wondering if he would prefer to play in a 1/2 empty arena & win or play in a packed arena & maybe lose. He's experienced both, just curious.
.Marshall

Post by .Marshall »

George Blanda wrote:
Zamman wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote: Without Issacson who is reportedly going to Ann Arbor, Walters-who is headed to the USHL and the loss of several good senior defensemen, I don't think they'll walk through the state next season. As far as opting up to AA, I think they have to wait 1 more year as this option is available in 2 year cycles--which they are 1 year in to.
In a heated discussion with a STA parent, he basically said STA shouldn't go to AA because they wouldn't go to state every year. If that's the attitude amongst all at STA, they'll never go AA.

He also said that STA shouldn't be lumped together with AHA, Hill and Benilde (as far as opting up)...because they had double the enrollment of STA. He's right, the amount of guys at STA is about the half of the amount of people at the other schools. He also brought up "Why shouldn't Cathedral and Warroad be forced to move to AA?"

Make of that what you want, but like I said...If the Admin at STA share those same views, they'll always be class A.
Well if your talking about actual "GUYS" STA has just as many as other A schools.. in Little Falls' sake theres roughly 900 kids in the High school half of which are Girls and with STA's Population at 500 STA should have no problem returning to state seeing how there a private school and all... and we all know what private schools like to do.. RECRUIT RECRUIT RECRUIT!
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

HShockeywatcher wrote:No Zamman, they're not your beloved stars. They have POTENTIAL, but they don't "have the talent" for the future. They are losing their top 4 forwards, two are seniors, and two are leaving for bigger and better things. Also, of their 8 D, 6 are seniors. They have a good JV team, so they should be fine, but next year should be interesting.
I know they are not my beloved STARS, thank God for that. The last thing I would want to be known as is a Hopper lover.
There is no wait period, AHA went AA after one year od Trebils arrival. They lost in 97 to Mpls South and to Burnsville in 98. They have the same amount of talent. their players come in as freshman just as St. Thomas' do. Oops I forgot STA has a bantam B team so they have kids younger coming in. AHA has lost a lot of their talent also, my point is that STA draws from the metro as all the other big privates and they should be on the level playing field as AHA, Cretin, Hill and Benilde. Trust me when I say that Totino, Holy Family and Providence will be gettimg the same treatment when they are good year after year. That is my point.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:Without Issacson who is reportedly going to Ann Arbor
Gotta do well at the try out and get asked to join before he'll be "going to Ann Arbor". I think he has a very good shot at making it though.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

Zamman wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:No Zamman, they're not your beloved stars. They have POTENTIAL, but they don't "have the talent" for the future. They are losing their top 4 forwards, two are seniors, and two are leaving for bigger and better things. Also, of their 8 D, 6 are seniors. They have a good JV team, so they should be fine, but next year should be interesting.
I know they are not my beloved STARS, thank God for that. The last thing I would want to be known as is a Hopper lover.
There is no wait period, AHA went AA after one year od Trebils arrival. They lost in 97 to Mpls South and to Burnsville in 98. They have the same amount of talent. their players come in as freshman just as St. Thomas' do. Oops I forgot STA has a bantam B team so they have kids younger coming in. AHA has lost a lot of their talent also, my point is that STA draws from the metro as all the other big privates and they should be on the level playing field as AHA, Cretin, Hill and Benilde. Trust me when I say that Totino, Holy Family and Providence will be gettimg the same treatment when they are good year after year. That is my point.
I don't dispute they should move up but THERE IS A WAITING PERIOD and unfortunately they are in the middle of it. Every 2 years teams have the option of opting up with MSHSL because this coincides with when they look at redrawing sections.
Saintpaulhockey1

Post by Saintpaulhockey1 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:I'd be curious what Anders Lee's take on this topic is. If he had stayed at STA he would have won a state A title, but he left and lost in the AA finals. I'm wondering if he would prefer to play in a 1/2 empty arena & win or play in a packed arena & maybe lose. He's experienced both, just curious.
Well considering he just packed up his bags and left without telling anyone at STA he could probably give two hoots.
ozzie679

Post by ozzie679 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:I'd be curious what Anders Lee's take on this topic is. If he had stayed at STA he would have won a state A title, but he left and lost in the AA finals. I'm wondering if he would prefer to play in a 1/2 empty arena & win or play in a packed arena & maybe lose. He's experienced both, just curious.
What does he know...he's a kid. Do you think the 9-Man football champion cares less about his championship than the 5A champ because there was a larger crowd for the 5A game. The class system is a larger issue than STA or sell outs at the X. It is about what is best for hockey in the state of MN. They hockey "purists" want things to go back to the core teams making it to state every year, and them sprinkle a Mayo or JM in the mix just for flavor. People outside of the traditional powers wanted the two class system. I assume you nickname "pioneerguy" means that you are a HM fan. Your program is one of the traditional powers. Pleas try to remember that hockey spread like it never had before after the start of the two class system. The vast majority will never have a team like the teams that were on display this past weekend. Respect the "have nots". Though they may not have the skills, they try just as hard.
BranchesMagnum

Post by BranchesMagnum »

I think everyone except for STA themselves wants the Cadets in AA. Sure they haven't been a contender for very long (first tourney in 1999?). However if they don't opt up after next year I am sure everyone in A will be a little annoyed. Sure they are losing some kids but the cost of a good high school hockey team at STA is about 20 scholarships. And because their school is a sausage fest the MSHSL doubles their enrollment to compensate for the lack of girls at their school.
rex123

Good Point

Post by rex123 »

ozzie679 wrote:
What does he know...he's a kid. Do you think the 9-Man football champion cares less about his championship than the 5A champ because there was a larger crowd for the 5A game. The class system is a larger issue than STA or sell outs at the X. It is about what is best for hockey in the state of MN. They hockey "purists" want things to go back to the core teams making it to state every year, and them sprinkle a Mayo or JM in the mix just for flavor. People outside of the traditional powers wanted the two class system. I assume you nickname "pioneerguy" means that you are a HM fan. Your program is one of the traditional powers. Pleas try to remember that hockey spread like it never had before after the start of the two class system. The vast majority will never have a team like the teams that were on display this past weekend. Respect the "have nots". Though they may not have the skills, they try just as hard.
This is a good point. I not saying STA should not move up. But I am tried of the "Have" schools trying to dictate everything. The bottum line is the 2 class systems has been very successful.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

George Blanda wrote:
Zamman wrote:

STA has half the enrollment, but only boys. Hill has double the enrollment but boys and girls. Explain what's different there?
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

Sparlimb wrote:
George Blanda wrote:
Zamman wrote: get that admin to step up and play with the big boys. You have the talent. So you don't go to state every year, so what. You will be fine. Otherwise you will go back to running the valet parking and ushering as you have donw in the past.

STA has half the enrollment, but only boys. Hill has double the enrollment but boys and girls. Explain what's different there?
This changes everything. I didn't know this. Hill has men and STA has "trophy chasing" boys.
HShockeywatcher

Not sure if you guys can't read but "Cretin, Holy Angels, Hill, Benilde, Marshall, Blake, Breck, and Totino Cretin is the only one that has more boys than St Thomas. I think Totino has maybe 20 less. Hill and Benilde are each about 100 less, with Beck and Blake being a couple hundred less."

They are a small school, but maybe toward the top of the small schools. I'd be curious if there was a list of the schools in the perspective classes along with their enrollments. Either way, we all know enrollment has little to do with success in hockey.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Not sure if you guys can't read but "Cretin, Holy Angels, Hill, Benilde, Marshall, Blake, Breck, and Totino Cretin is the only one that has more boys than St Thomas. I think Totino has maybe 20 less. Hill and Benilde are each about 100 less, with Beck and Blake being a couple hundred less."

They are a small school, but maybe toward the top of the small schools. I'd be curious if there was a list of the schools in the perspective classes along with their enrollments. Either way, we all know enrollment has little to do with success in hockey.
Enrollment numbers: http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/enrollments07.asp

Enrollment classification: http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/news/2007-08enrollclass.asp
MN Moose

Post by MN Moose »

In my opinion the coaching staff of STA will push the admins to move up to AA.....IF....they start losing top players (i.e. Anders Lee) to other schools because they play in single A tournament. I believe players like Ryan Walters caliber would consider this when choosing a school. What top player wouldn't rather play AA? Packed house for every game and loads of scouts.

Hasn't appeared to happen yet. They have lots of talent that Holy Angels was getting in the past. Too bad for HA....good for STA.
boblee

post 10188

Post by boblee »

I just want to clarify that there isn't necessarily a waiting period. If your enrollment goes over the mark next year, you get moved up. That can shake things up leaving some teams with options again. If they really wanted to play AA next year, they could.
RLStars

Re: post 10188

Post by RLStars »

boblee wrote:I just want to clarify that there isn't necessarily a waiting period. If your enrollment goes over the mark next year, you get moved up. That can shake things up leaving some teams with options again. If they really wanted to play AA next year, they could.
Didn't that happen to Rogers two years ago? They thought they were in class A, but had been bumped up to AA because of the extra enrollment from a nearby school with a hockey player.
rex123

Are enrollment numbers the right measure of a schools Hockey

Post by rex123 »

STA enrollment is basically the same as it has been for the last 30 years. The school was designed for 500 students and they keep it at those numbers every year. Long before MSHL set enrollemnt numbers for each class.

Maybe the MSHL should look at using some other measure besides enrollment. You have alot of schools with enrollments approaching 2000 that don't have the hockey talent some schools have with way less then 1000 students.