Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
packerboy
Posts: 5259
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:51 am

Post by packerboy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:11 pm

Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:

Can't Never Tried
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:24 pm

packerboy wrote:Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:
Separate boats or what? :lol:

Sparlimb
Posts: 1776
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Please. Anyone going to argue that the refs didn't call a ton more penaltieson Hill that night? All I hear is the same belly-aching that the northern squad didn't win. Face it, Roseau lost. Yeah mroe people wanted to see them win and yeah more people would have preferred a Roseau-Edina matchup. But it didn't happen folks. Whining about it now is sad.

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:35 pm

HM used physical play to off-set Roseau's speed.
Did some of their antics not draw calls. Yes.
The game was not called well in terms of physical play.
But HM won, can we not let it just be what it was.
A physical game that was won by a lesser 'team' based on their ability to slow down the faster team.
10 games Roseau wins 6 maybe 7 games.

But HM won the championship.
Let's be happy for those kids and those that did not win. Lots of accomplishiments by a variety of teams this year.
Lots of good hockey for all of us to be happy with.

:D

BIAFP
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:44 pm

Post by BIAFP » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:07 pm

packerboy wrote:Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:
Never met the guy but he sure can call a spade a spade!

packerboy
Posts: 5259
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:51 am

Post by packerboy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:13 pm

BIAFP wrote:
packerboy wrote:Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:
Never met the guy but he sure can call a spade a spade!
Yah right. You probably wrote the letter. :wink:

Its interesting that he is OK with BSM. :roll:

BIAFP
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:44 pm

Post by BIAFP » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:22 pm

packerboy wrote:
BIAFP wrote:
packerboy wrote:Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:
Never met the guy but he sure can call a spade a spade!
Yah right. You probably wrote the letter. :wink:

Its interesting that he is OK with BSM. :roll:

BSM wasn't a bunch of thugs :wink:

packerboy
Posts: 5259
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:51 am

Post by packerboy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 pm

BIAFP wrote:
packerboy wrote:
BIAFP wrote:
packerboy wrote:Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:
Never met the guy but he sure can call a spade a spade!
Yah right. You probably wrote the letter. :wink:

Its interesting that he is OK with BSM. :roll:

BSM wasn't a bunch of thugs :wink:
Good point.

BSM does all of their recruiting in the west metro so I suppose they are OK with him, well, in addition to them being so polite. :lol:

BodyShots
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

Post by BodyShots » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Charliedog wrote:FYI - This appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press Letters to the Editor section today (3-20-08).

TEAM COMPOSITION

A March 17 letter asserted that Hill-Murray should be lauded for its hockey tradition ("same teams, perhaps, but with new players"). The reason nobody wants Hill-Murray to win is how their teams have been built. Most metro-area public school districts are about 36 miles square or less. School teams are at the top of community efforts and much work by neighborhood people. Edina teams are community teams, nurtured by their very successful neighborhood feeder programs.

Hill-Murray teams are all-star conglomerations of star players recruited and drawn from many east metro neighborhoods, weakening all the other teams around them by using those communities' best players against their home schools.

Hill-Murray is known for rough play. The Friday crowd booed the refs not calling penalties on Hill-Murray, one man yelling "Which game are you watching?"

As we were leaving, a man said to his friend, "The first game was great, the second was thuggery."

Tom Dolen, Shoreview


Apparently Mr. Dolen doesn't care for Hill-Murray
Is this Bo's dad (with a typing error of course!)

Bensogud
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:24 pm

Post by Bensogud » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:40 pm

Maybe the writer of the letter to the editor would be more happy watching Ice Capades?

mulefarm
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Give this guy lifetime passes to the girls tournament.

wbmd
Posts: 3819
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Re: Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

Post by wbmd » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:32 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Charliedog wrote:FYI - This appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press Letters to the Editor section today (3-20-08).

TEAM COMPOSITION

A March 17 letter asserted that Hill-Murray should be lauded for its hockey tradition ("same teams, perhaps, but with new players"). The reason nobody wants Hill-Murray to win is how their teams have been built. Most metro-area public school districts are about 36 miles square or less. School teams are at the top of community efforts and much work by neighborhood people. Edina teams are community teams, nurtured by their very successful neighborhood feeder programs.

Hill-Murray teams are all-star conglomerations of star players recruited and drawn from many east metro neighborhoods, weakening all the other teams around them by using those communities' best players against their home schools.

Hill-Murray is known for rough play. The Friday crowd booed the refs not calling penalties on Hill-Murray, one man yelling "Which game are you watching?"

As we were leaving, a man said to his friend, "The first game was great, the second was thuggery."

Tom Dolen, Shoreview


Apparently Mr. Dolen doesn't care for Hill-Murray
Is this Bo's dad (with a typing error of course!)
No it's not Bo Dolan's father - Bo's dad is former Pioneer Dan Dolan, a 1981 graduate.

TTpuckster
Posts: 2534
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:18 pm

As I have said all along.

HM has a great hockey tradition that should be lauded.

In the Friday night game, yes they did play physical, and yes they did get the majority of the penalties.

You can say that is was a great game plan now, because they won.... handily.

Kudos, kudos, kudos.

But, Roseau did get their share of shots on net. To some degree because of the extra man advantages.

I believe that the Brimsek award winner was the BIG difference.

If he had not played so well, people would have been criticizing, (sp?), the HM game plan.

But, to the victors go the spoils.

HM is the state champ.
HM deserved it.
That's all there is to it.

sachishi4
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: SLP

Post by sachishi4 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:19 pm

sounds like another pissed off shorview person that is sad because Flip left.

boo-hoo
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

watchdog
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:54 am
Location: weak hockey country

Post by watchdog » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:37 pm

playing a physical style game is a game plan and it worked very well. i dont think hill was dirty about it they just played hard and did whatever it took to win.

CityHockey11
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Post by CityHockey11 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:43 pm

sachishi4 wrote:sounds like another pissed off shorview person that is sad because Flip left.

boo-hoo
A bit off topic, but I thought he came from Woodbury...?
If we didn't have conflict we'd all be pretty bored

sllek
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:02 pm

Post by sllek » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:57 pm

I've been wondering whether Mr. Dolen, and some of the members of this board, realize that with open enrollment EVERYONE "recruits" players now. Look at the last three big schol champions in girls' basketball. Public schools with the vast majority of their rosters made up of transfers. Did the private schools have an advantage at one point because they had no district boundaries? Yeah, definitely. Today, a kid can literally go almost anywhere, public or private, so this advantage for the privates has been greatly diminished. Lets put an end to the childish bickering about "recruits" so we can concentrate on the childish bickering on the difference between playing a "physical" hockey and "thuggery" :D

sachishi4
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: SLP

Post by sachishi4 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 pm

CityHockey11 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:sounds like another pissed off shorview person that is sad because Flip left.

boo-hoo
A bit off topic, but I thought he came from Woodbury...?
nope

shoreview
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Sparlimb
Posts: 1776
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 pm

TTpuckster wrote:As I have said all along.

HM has a great hockey tradition that should be lauded.

In the Friday night game, yes they did play physical, and yes they did get the majority of the penalties.

You can say that is was a great game plan now, because they won.... handily.

Kudos, kudos, kudos.

But, Roseau did get their share of shots on net. To some degree because of the extra man advantages.

I believe that the Brimsek award winner was the BIG difference.

If he had not played so well, people would have been criticizing, (sp?), the HM game plan.

But, to the victors go the spoils.

HM is the state champ.
HM deserved it.
That's all there is to it.

Right on puckster. If Hill had lost the game, everyone would have said it was because they couldn't keep up with Roseau. What is ironic about the whole dang thing is Hill is always a FINESSE team to a fault. They rarely use the body and rarely play thuggishly as they are usually the more skilled of the two teams in the game. So they played a game that was outside their norm by quite a bit. And both Edina and Roseau had a lot of shots and plenty of chances. The #1 reason Hill won was Phillippi and the #2 reason was Ryan Furne. After that, you can talk about style of play.

Pioneerprideguy
Posts: 1304
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 am

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm

BIAFP wrote:
packerboy wrote:
BIAFP wrote:
packerboy wrote:Hey, that guy is BIAFP's fishin buddy. :lol:
Never met the guy but he sure can call a spade a spade!
Yah right. You probably wrote the letter. :wink:

Its interesting that he is OK with BSM. :roll:

BSM wasn't a bunch of thugs :wink:
So you are ok with private schools, just not the physical aspect of hockey, is that correct? I think you are messed up with how things transpired during the tournament & you have no idea which direction to go. You blast HM all year because they get kids from all over. You brag up Roseau & northern hockey in general. Roseau comes down to the big city and gets their butts handed to them by two different private schools & all you can do is fire shots at HM. I think you need to spend more time with the Wizard...courage isn't the only thing you are lacking...stand next to the scarecrow. :wink:
Last edited by Pioneerprideguy on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CityHockey11
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Post by CityHockey11 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 pm

sachishi4 wrote:
CityHockey11 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:sounds like another pissed off shorview person that is sad because Flip left.

boo-hoo
A bit off topic, but I thought he came from Woodbury...?
nope

shoreview
Oh ok, i got a bit of misinformation then, I was under the impression that he had switched schools from Woodbury.
If we didn't have conflict we'd all be pretty bored

pistol
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:31 pm

Post by pistol » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Some things will never change...

The bored said Hill-Murray did not have the talent of Roseau and Edina, but after the Pioneers' stunning victories, you now say it is unfair that Hill has so much talent!

You said Hill could not play a tough defensive style, yet Hill played nearly a full period down a man and still dominated both games.

You say the refs put away the whistles for the Pioneers, yet Hill spent the much greater time in the box... even up a man, you could not score a goal!

You will always choose to whine, but Hill-Murray just chooses to win!

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:02 pm

pistol wrote:Some things will never change...

The bored said Hill-Murray did not have the talent of Roseau and Edina, but after the Pioneers' stunning victories, you now say it is unfair that Hill has so much talent!

You said Hill could not play a tough defensive style, yet Hill played nearly a full period down a man and still dominated both games.

You say the refs put away the whistles for the Pioneers, yet Hill spent the much greater time in the box... even up a man, you could not score a goal!

You will always choose to whine, but Hill-Murray just chooses to win!
Not like 2007 then... 2 and BarBQ... Must not of had a choice? :wink:

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 pm

watchdog wrote:playing a physical style game is a game plan and it worked very well. i dont think hill was dirty about it they just played hard and did whatever it took to win.
I don't think Hill played dirty either, w/ the exception of the cross-check in the back at the end of the period. No place for that in the game. Ever...

mulefarm
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:01 pm

I thought it was more a push in the back and a dive by Ness.

Post Reply