st.cloud apollo

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Love4Hockey

st.cloud apollo

Post by Love4Hockey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:54 am

what should we expect from the team next year? any good freshmen comming in? players to watch? predictions?

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:18 pm

not much to expect i guess
i will say that this will be a team in the 08-09 state tournament
you heard it here first
like the players returning and the players that they are getting for the bantam level

koho snipe

Post by koho snipe » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:46 am

solid coaching staff=solid team

who is the head coach again?

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:18 am

kris dougherty.08-09 will be his second year as the teams head coach

fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:21 am

Wasn't Apollo the worst St. Cloud team this year?

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:39 am

when you have a new team, you have to give it time, will have a lot of underclassmen to work with, losing something like 12 seniors

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:25 pm

fivehole628 wrote:Wasn't Apollo the worst St. Cloud team this year?
Depends on your definition, I guess. They may have been the worst A team. Tech was the worst AA team. (of course, they were the ONLY AA team.. so that also makes Tech the best AA team in the St. Cloud area.)

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:31 pm

i think now that they know his system...they will be better adjusted to it and will be able to compete with little falls and alexandria

fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Love4Hockey wrote:i think now that they know his system...they will be better adjusted to it and will be able to compete with little falls and alexandria
Are you a part of this Apollo team?

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:54 pm

no but i have seen them play and have impressed me at times...just wanted to know what other people think pf the team

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Blue&Gold wrote:
fivehole628 wrote:Wasn't Apollo the worst St. Cloud team this year?
Depends on your definition, I guess. They may have been the worst A team. Tech was the worst AA team. (of course, they were the ONLY AA team.. so that also makes Tech the best AA team in the St. Cloud area.)
And Tech was also the best team overall from St. Cloud. With Cathedral 2nd and yes, Apollo 3rd

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:12 pm

tech has always been the dominant half of the apollo/tech rivalry and cathedral..dont know which team you are going to get each night

George Blanda

Post by George Blanda » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:00 pm

Love4Hockey wrote:tech has always been the dominant half of the apollo/tech rivalry and cathedral..dont know which team you are going to get each night
THAT'S DOUBTFUL!!!
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:04 pm

i guess i cant say always...but they have been tough to beat for apollo lately

darkdemon

Post by darkdemon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:35 am

Love4Hockey wrote:not much to expect i guess
i will say that this will be a team in the 08-09 state tournament
you heard it here first
like the players returning and the players that they are getting for the bantam level
:lol:
Ok whatever i have watch many teams practice over the years including Apollo's their practices are a joke and their Dougherty isn't a very sound coach. Two teams for you Alexandria and Little Falls in the section championship again.
The DEMON

BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 am

Love4Hockey wrote:tech has always been the dominant half of the apollo/tech rivalry and cathedral..dont know which team you are going to get each night

Typical arrogant Tech quote, especially considering their nice showing again this year in the sectional playoffs. And, how many losses for mighty Tech to Class A teams this year? At least Apollo has dignity with their losing seasons.

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Tech did have a poor season this year. No question there. But they did prove why they are the only AA school in stc. Look at the granite city classic. Cakewalk? out scored opponents 17-1. All A schools though right? Say what you want. look at St.cloud vs St. cloud and tech prevails.

Tech vs Cathedral 6-1 tech
Apollo round 1 7-0 tech
Apollo round 2 5-3 tech
Apollo round 3 5-2 tech

Tech is an average team. But still the best in St. Cloud this year.

BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 pm

puckluck19 wrote:Tech did have a poor season this year. No question there. But they did prove why they are the only AA school in stc. Look at the granite city classic. Cakewalk? out scored opponents 17-1. All A schools though right? Say what you want. look at St.cloud vs St. cloud and tech prevails.

Tech vs Cathedral 6-1 tech
Apollo round 1 7-0 tech
Apollo round 2 5-3 tech
Apollo round 3 5-2 tech

Tech is an average team. But still the best in St. Cloud this year.

On this one particular week, Tech was able to shine. But, otherwise, their season was not much to write home about. According to PS2 High School hockey rankings linked to this website, Tech was ranked 58th in Minnesota, while Cathedral was ranked 31st, well above Tech.

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Tech had a poor season. But agianst teams from stc they dominated. I would have liked to see them play Cathedral again. Just to see what would have happened.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Tech was not the best team in St. Cloud.

That elusive title goes to Cathedral.
The U invented swagger.

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Tech rests their laurels on one weekend of games, but sucks the rest of the season. STC blows one game with Tech, wins their conference, section and goes to state again (which Tech has NEVER done, if memory serves) and yet the Tech folks think they are the shnitz. That is called drinking from the Hommerdingaling/Donovan koolaid. Little Falls and Sauk Rapids are both better hockey programs than Tech. Three local area A teams are better overall than the only AA team in the area. Fact, can't refute it.. one weekend doesn't make a season.

I feel bad for those players that have bought into the brain-washing of the Tech program. Several of those kids could have had a MN State Tournament experience if they hadn't have gone to Tech for more exposure and the AA experience. (what exposure? Elite League players over the last 5 years? Players going on to juniors? John Swanson is one of the best players to come out of St. Cloud, but it who else from Tech? I know, there are a few, but to hear these fans, it should be high numbers.)j

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Blue&Gold wrote:Tech rests their laurels on one weekend of games, but sucks the rest of the season. STC blows one game with Tech, wins their conference, section and goes to state again (which Tech has NEVER done, if memory serves) and yet the Tech folks think they are the shnitz. That is called drinking from the Hommerdingaling/Donovan koolaid. Little Falls and Sauk Rapids are both better hockey programs than Tech. Three local area A teams are better overall than the only AA team in the area. Fact, can't refute it.. one weekend doesn't make a season.

I feel bad for those players that have bought into the brain-washing of the Tech program. Several of those kids could have had a MN State Tournament experience if they hadn't have gone to Tech for more exposure and the AA experience. (what exposure? Elite League players over the last 5 years? Players going on to juniors? John Swanson is one of the best players to come out of St. Cloud, but it who else from Tech? I know, there are a few, but to hear these fans, it should be high numbers.)j
They took something like fourth in the first ever state tourney if I remember correctly.
The U invented swagger.

bigwheelXXX

Yah !

Post by bigwheelXXX » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:30 pm

To bad it was back in the days of the original tourney field. I mean, it was before any of the teams that have hockey now, had hockey then. Something like 1945. Happen to look at the score of the games they played in when they were there? They got WHALED on. Goes to show you my age for remembering that one. I also was at the tourney with my new program that said all. Tech is not good from what my buddies say in the area down there.
Am I to believe that they want their own association too? My goodness! Someone do something! Do they know how bad it is going to be for the kids? Look at Duluth (my hometown), they have one association and they make it work. They just have their areas split, but under the rule of one board. It works great. Players develop, teams win, coaches get feedback from the high school coach in their area and everyone is happy. Even parents, god forbid. Well........some are.

ap4mvp

Post by ap4mvp » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:Tech was not the best team in St. Cloud.

That elusive title goes to Cathedral.
Tech beat Cathedral 6-1 and yet Goldy thinks Cathedral is better :-k I don't know about this guy :roll:
If you only knew the power of the dark side!

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm

One weekend of games? Tech smoked cathedral and apollo back to back nights. Over a week later beat apollo again and beat them a third time a month later. 3 chances to prove they were better than tech and failed. Like I said, I only wish tech could have played cathedral again to see if their 6-1 victory was a "fluke".