st.cloud apollo

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm

puckluck19 wrote:One weekend of games? Tech smoked cathedral and apollo back to back nights. Over a week later beat apollo again and beat them a third time a month later. 3 chances to prove they were better than tech and failed. Like I said, I only wish tech could have played cathedral again to see if their 6-1 victory was a "fluke".
Well, since we'll never really know, I'm saying that it would have proven to be a fluke. I think that a team should be judged by a season, not by one game. Where was Tech in the post-season? (Or any post-season for that matter...) Beating Apollo? I think most everyone will agree that is no way to measure your succes. Everybody beat Apollo. If SCC and Tech played 5 times this past season, I would give you that Tech might win 2 times.. (since they won once) You can't judge a team a succes just because they win one big game.

St. Cloud Technical High School Hockey has proven to be pretty much nothing.. They win a couple of games and they're ready for the X... Yet they can't really do anything of importance. If I were on this forum and known as a Tech fan, I would hide rather than keep putting yourself "out there". Yay, you won the Granite City Classic... WHOO HOO... You found SCC on a weatk night and beat them 6-1. SCC Pretty much owned the season from then on.

Now, go and polish your GCC trophy, it seems to be the only thing you can win..

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:15 pm

Cathedral had the better season. They also had the chance to prove they were better than tech in a game and they got stomped. Do I think tech deserved to be at state? NO. Do I think Cathedral would be at state playing AA hockey? NO. You said if they played 5 times cathedral would win 3. They played 1. Cathedral lost their 1 chance to prove they were the best team in Stc. I would not say tech was the best team in the area as they were beat twice by Sauk Rapids and once by Little Falls.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:11 am

ap4mvp wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:Tech was not the best team in St. Cloud.

That elusive title goes to Cathedral.
Tech beat Cathedral 6-1 and yet Goldy thinks Cathedral is better :-k I don't know about this guy :roll:

That's weird, last time I checked one game didn't make a season.
The U invented swagger.

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:47 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
ap4mvp wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:Tech was not the best team in St. Cloud.

That elusive title goes to Cathedral.
Tech beat Cathedral 6-1 and yet Goldy thinks Cathedral is better :-k I don't know about this guy :roll:

That's weird, last time I checked one game didn't make a season.
It does to this Tech fan, as that is the only way that he can justify the team. Tech's coach refuses to meet SCC during the regular season simply because he knows that in many years they would not be able to beat them more than once. He might be able to get his team up for one shot, but not more than that.

When Tech has appeared at the state tournament more than once within 5 years, I'll then say that they are worthy of discussion. Until then, it's just a sad state of affairs for that program. The only AA program in the area and they are just plain bad. Heck, they were rated below SCC in the overall standings, so it goes to show that the entire season is how the rest of the world rates a team, not on one game.

BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:09 am

The Tech hockey arrogance runs thick.

Three years ago when they defeated SCC in the GC Championship, but were outshot something like 42-15, their great goalie had the audacuity to proclaim afterward that SCC didn't belong on the same ice as them. That, no doubt, was a comment reflecting the prevailing thoughts by Tech and was not simply an off-the-cuff remark by a kid after a game.

Then, the next year when SCC shut out Tech in the GC Championship, the Tech coach had the audacity to make his players run stairs in the arena immediately afterward, directly implying that the outcome was due to some failure by his team rather than the outstanding and dominant performance by SCC that night. It was an insulting move both for the Tech and SCC programs.

It seems that Tech's definition of success now is whether it can be the self-proclaimed best team in SC.

koho snipe

Post by koho snipe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

is there a wold coaching apollo?

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 pm

koho snipe wrote:is there a wold coaching apollo?
He's an assistant JV coach I believe.
The U invented swagger.

zippitydoda

Post by zippitydoda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Oh boo hoo -- the private school supporters still have their noses out of joint over comments a knucklehead Tech goalie made three years ago. You have no idea went on behind the scenes after that happened. To say that was condoned isn't even malicious. It's just plain uninformed. Get some therapy and get over it.

Keep ripping on Tech -- your favorite past time. I don't think anyone associated from that school cares what Cathedral supporters think. So you beat a bunch of tomato cans during the regular season (second easiest section in the state according to the rankings) and then blow your horn like a bunch of New York cabbies. You had a good year getting fourth in the little school tourney. Congrats, really. But win it before you start telling everyone else how to run their program. Oh by the way, your website used to read "Home of the 2006-2007 Granite City Classic Champions." So apparently, it meant something to you until you got your clock cleaned. Off night. No, total butt kicking.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:44 pm

zippitydoda wrote:Oh boo hoo -- the private school supporters still have their noses out of joint over comments a knucklehead Tech goalie made three years ago. You have no idea went on behind the scenes after that happened. To say that was condoned isn't even malicious. It's just plain uninformed. Get some therapy and get over it.

Keep ripping on Tech -- your favorite past time. I don't think anyone associated from that school cares what Cathedral supporters think. So you beat a bunch of tomato cans during the regular season (second easiest section in the state according to the rankings) and then blow your horn like a bunch of New York cabbies. You had a good year getting fourth in the little school tourney. Congrats, really. But win it before you start telling everyone else how to run their program. Oh by the way, your website used to read "Home of the 2006-2007 Granite City Classic Champions." So apparently, it meant something to you until you got your clock cleaned. Off night. No, total butt kicking.
Duluth Marshall beat STA 8-1 the first time they played. What happened the second time they played? Who was the better team of the two Marshall or STA?
The U invented swagger.

zippitydoda

Post by zippitydoda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:55 pm

What's that got to do with the price of sub-prime mortgages?

Once again, the mud starts flying from the private school supporters but no one is supposed to fling any the other way. Is that the drill?

BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 pm

zippitydoda wrote:Oh boo hoo -- the private school supporters still have their noses out of joint over comments a knucklehead Tech goalie made three years ago. You have no idea went on behind the scenes after that happened. To say that was condoned isn't even malicious. It's just plain uninformed. Get some therapy and get over it.

I actually enjoyed this posting, especially the comment on tooting horns like a New York cabbie. I'll take tooting horns about being in the state tournament and being ranked well above Tech in the PS2 rankings any day over a fluke of playing good hockey for 3 days in December. Thanks for the humor Zippity. Your maliciousness, however, supports every criticism mentioned about Tech arrogance.

zippitydoda

Post by zippitydoda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:54 pm

You didn't like the tomato can reference?

Again, getting to the JV tourney would have been a breeze for Tech playing in your section. Since we are predicting things that didn't happen (like SCC beating Tech), I'll say Tech would have gone to state as well in your section, but SCC would never get through Moorhead or Roseau....That makes as much sense as saying SCC would have beaten Tech 3 out of five times or whatever number you projected.

Speaking of arrogance, who is always ripping on Tech. Go back to the beginning of the post, who dragged Tech into this. Arrogance goes both ways, and there is no lack of it at the school of blue and gold.

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Getting back to Apollo, I saw that Apollo defeated Sauk Rapids twice this year and a friend mentioned that Sauk did well when playing the other St Cloud teams. After reading most of this thread I now see why Hwy 23 is named Division Street, rightfully so.

George Blanda

Post by George Blanda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:03 pm

greybeard58 wrote:Getting back to Apollo, I saw that Apollo defeated Sauk Rapids twice this year and a friend mentioned that Sauk did well when playing the other St Cloud teams. After reading most of this thread I now see why Hwy 23 is named Division Street, rightfully so.
I don't think another town in Minnesota a problem of this magnitude. Most from Apollo or Cathedral want to see Tech fail in hockey...and Tech doesn't to see Apollo or Cathedral do well, either. I think that Apollo and Cathedral want to see eachother do well.

Ask the Tech faithful, Mike Howe sucks.
Ask the Apollo faithful, John Swanson sucks.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:51 pm

That sums it up pretty good.

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 pm

marshallrulz wrote:ok next time any team from saint cloud beats duluth marshall then we can talk about them but until then its pointless
SCC had to get through DM to go to the big show in 2004.

I, in all honesty, think that Tech would have finished 3rd, at best, in section 5A. Maybe 4th.

Apollo should improve over the next few years. I saw some positive steps this year, and it's probably based on having a new coaching style in place. HEY, there you go Tech.... get a new coach and maybe then you'll have a chance to do something good other than win the GCC every other year..

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Blue&Gold wrote:
marshallrulz wrote:ok next time any team from saint cloud beats duluth marshall then we can talk about them but until then its pointless

I, in all honesty, think that Tech would have finished 3rd, at best, in section 5A. Maybe 4th.

Apollo should improve over the next few years. I saw some positive steps this year, and it's probably based on having a new coaching style in place. HEY, there you go Tech.... get a new coach and maybe then you'll have a chance to do something good other than win the GCC every other year..
Just a little stat that shows the true depth of the GCC tourney that Tech took down this year. A state tournament team took dead last in that same tourey. Based on this, I don't see how Tech can't be considered a top tier team in the state.
The U invented swagger.

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Does that show the depth of the gcc or how, in a weak section, a bad team can get into the state tourny? Your point doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You kind of contradict yourself. Might want to read your post a couple times. And I dont think anyone would argue that Tech is a top teir team. Becuase they arnt. But if 2 teams that were in the gcc made it to state and neither team won the gcc wouldnt it go to show that in a different section/class the team that won the gcc could go to state?

puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Blue&Gold wrote:

Just a little stat that shows the true depth of the GCC tourney that Tech took down this year. A state tournament team took dead last in that same tourey. Based on this, I don't see how Tech can't be considered a top tier team in the state.
Does this make sense to anyone else? It doesnt to me. :roll:

bigwheelXXX

Marshallzclueless

Post by bigwheelXXX » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:13 am

I've been reading this thread the last couple of days. You said something about a new style of coaching at Apollo. Does that mean that the other guy was doing something wrong if the result was only 1 or 2 games better, as far as the record shows? Maybe you also forget what section the team was in before the new guy took over. I'm only reading the post and then reading past stats posted on the stats page. Looks like they have a two game better record playing teams that don't even stack up to the others they played before. (Not that it matters, cuz they got smoked by those teams too.) Just curious, in all your knowledge, what style do you think is different.
Or are you going to go further by saying that CHS was built to be a powerhouse only by their third coach in the last five years? Must be coaching style change in that one too. Oh, I forgot! The previous coach, or co-head coach brought them to the Xcel center too if I the stats show me correctly.
The only thing I see with the Tech group is they still aren't beating anyone in 8AA, that really matters. Are they ever going to? Or is that going to be a coaching style change to make that program win too......EINSTEIN.

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:32 am

puckluck19 wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Blue&Gold wrote:

Does this make sense to anyone else? It doesnt to me. :roll:
Its called sarcasm......look it up.

BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 am

Goldy, I for one took your comment as one of sarcasm. Some here have a hard time reading between the words. Your comment was well taken. Litchfield, I think, would qualify as one of Zippity's so-called "tomato cans". Tech, too, probably qualifies as a tomato can in Section 8AA.

2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:19 am

The ongoing battle of who can beat who in St Cloud hockey has been discussed and analyzed since the opening of Apollo High School or the MAC Ice Arena (which ever one was second). Add to that the two additional hockey programs developed in Sauk Rapids and Sartell and now you have 5 High School Hockey teams (one “AA” and four “A” ) within a 5 to 10 mile radius. There are not enough good hockey players in the area to consistently feed these teams. That is why Tech will never win a section championship and also why none of the area teams will ever lure in a big name coach! (since you guy’s are also discussing coaching) The closest we got was Ed Zin’s (Edina Assistant) at Apollo and CHS’s Mike Antonovich. Since the late 70’s and most of the 80’s Tech and Apollo have had strong teams and some great “sold out Mac” rivalry games. Each team getting their share of wins. CHS struggled for many of those years but got their share of wins as well. Since the 80’s Apollo has been to the State Tournament a few times and since the two tier split so has CHS. Say what you want about the two tier split, but the kids that have played in the State High School Hockey Tournament (“A” or “AA”) will never forget it.
The demographics of St Cloud are changing drastically and the diversity of the kids attending public schools is just as drastic (they do not play hockey). Apollo dropped in school size enough to move to “A”. Is that terrible? No, the kids are still playing hockey. Did you see a bunch of hockey players from Apollo or CHS jump to Tech just so they could play “AA” hockey? No, why not? (you can decide for yourself why that does not happen in St Cloud (except for the heartman family)) ……but it does in every other town that has both “A” and “AA”.
My point is that the surrounding area rivalry sports are good weather you are “A” or “AA” and from a fan perspective we should be promoting and enjoying those rivalries. The team to watch out for in the next few years is Sartell. They had a young high school hockey team this year that showed promise, they have a very strong youth hockey program building and they have a tremendous amount of growth potential within their city. Sauk Rapids always seems to scrape up enough good kids to make for an interesting year. CHS was young this year and should be fun to watch again next year. Apollo is struggling to find players and they will eventually combine with Tech. (my opinion – which would make the Tech youth hockey assoc. a mute point). So, Tech, Apollo, CHS, Sartell, Sauk Rapids hockey teams. To many choices and not enough quality players. But, just enough, that on any given night one of these teams can beat the other.

zippitydoda

Post by zippitydoda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 am

The Goose is Loose -- again, whether it's Blue and Gold or Blue Goose, which I happen to think are one in the same.

You guys are so clever with your sarcasm that the average Joe like me just can't keep up. Too witty and deep, I guess, for most of us.......but that wouldn't be any arrogance creeping through......would it?

I agree with the last post that demographics are changing in St. Cloud. But one assocation can't recruit at the younger levels to get kids involved in hockey to send enough on to the high schools in St. Cloud. I happen to think two associations are a good idea. Don't hold your breath on Tech and Apollo combining. That's been a rumor for years. As far as the rivalries go, they should be just that, but some CHS people seem to have some deep-seated pathological need to slam Tech whenever they can in order to make themselves feel better. It's rather pathetic. Get some help.

BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:25 am

I think the Tech coach would prefer to see Apollo and SCC band together rather than have his mighty Tech team stoop so low and bring in Apollo. Afterall, in the eyes of Tech Hockey, neither Apollo nor SCC belongs on the same ice as them.