Wisconsin Junior Hockey League?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tenoverpar

Wisconsin Junior Hockey League?

Post by Tenoverpar » Thu May 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Anyone heard anything about a newly forming/formed "independent junior A tier 1" league in Wisconsin? Calling itself Elite Junior A hockey..

Just wondering, they supposedly are considering themselves an equiv to the USHL despite the lineage that has taken the USHL from a goon league to the premier feeder system into D-1 and the NHL in the US.

Thoughts?

fivehole628

Re: Wisconsin Junior Hockey League?

Post by fivehole628 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Where did you hear about this league? And from who?

Fireman66

Post by Fireman66 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Yes, this rumor is true! I have been contacted to work in the front office of the Madison Muskrats and the Oshkosh Otters. Play will start in the Fall of 2011.
Lots of water = a dead flamer

Tenoverpar

here it is

Post by Tenoverpar » Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 pm

USHL is NOT the only Tier I Junior A league in the country.

www.wisconsinjuniorhockeyleague.com

fivehole628

Re: here it is

Post by fivehole628 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:02 pm

When will the teams be announced? And is there a draft for this league? I couldn't find it on the website

juniorhockey

joke

Post by juniorhockey » Thu May 15, 2008 10:31 pm

A "Tier I" status is issued by USA Hockey for meeting criteria. If this league is independent, then it is saying it is not being sanctioned by USA Hockey and therefore declaring themselves Tier I to attract players. Also because it is not sanctioned it wont be insured by USA Hockey and the league or team will need to provide insurance for it's players. It is possible, but very unlikely that this league will 1. be any good and 2. last longer then two years. These renegade leagues have a history of failing in the US.

huville

Post by huville » Mon May 19, 2008 1:56 pm

This league will not be very good. The top players will all still go to USHL teams 1st. Then to the NAHL, then to the MNJHL or CSHL because these leagues are already proven to move players on to higher levels of hockey. Also since the website says that there are no player fee's, these owners better be willing to lose a ton of money each year if they want to keep the league alive/

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:04 pm

You never know, there are a number of D3 schools in Wisconsin. Maybe they use this as their recruiting/development pool.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:35 pm

huville wrote:This league will not be very good. The top players will all still go to USHL teams 1st. Then to the NAHL, then to the MNJHL or CSHL because these leagues are already proven to move players on to higher levels of hockey. Also since the website says that there are no player fee's, these owners better be willing to lose a ton of money each year if they want to keep the league alive/
Spoken by a true veteran of the league. How would you know if this league will be any good? :roll: It may end up being great. Can't knock something you haven't seen. [-X
Character is who you are when no one is watching

darkdemon

Post by darkdemon » Mon May 19, 2008 9:47 pm

Fireman66 wrote:Yes, this rumor is true! I have been contacted to work in the front office of the Madison Muskrats and the Oshkosh Otters. Play will start in the Fall of 2011.
Really what is with the rodent names or did you just make this up to make people on the board to like you
The DEMON

Fireman66

Post by Fireman66 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 pm

darkdemon wrote:
Fireman66 wrote:Yes, this rumor is true! I have been contacted to work in the front office of the Madison Muskrats and the Oshkosh Otters. Play will start in the Fall of 2011.
Really what is with the rodent names or did you just make this up to make people on the board to like you
Don't be attacking my credibility demon! Your just jealous because you don't have a career in hockey like me. Your probably some construction worker that spends to much time and money at strip clubs :lol:
Lots of water = a dead flamer

darkdemon

Post by darkdemon » Tue May 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Fireman66 wrote:
darkdemon wrote:
Don't be attacking my credibility demon! Your just jealous because you don't have a career in hockey like me. Your probably some construction worker that spends to much time and money at strip clubs :lol:
How did you know........by the way you can never spend enough money at a strip club
The DEMON

huville

Post by huville » Fri May 23, 2008 1:49 am

[quote="GR3343"][quote="huville"]This league will not be very good. The top players will all still go to USHL teams 1st. Then to the NAHL, then to the MNJHL or CSHL because these leagues are already proven to move players on to higher levels of hockey. Also since the website says that there are no player fee's, these owners better be willing to lose a ton of money each year if they want to keep the league alive/[/quote]

Spoken by a true veteran of the league. How would you know if this league will be any good? :roll: It may end up being great. Can't knock something you haven't seen. [-X[/quote]

I can say this because it is true. The USHL is king in the world of US junior Hockey. The NAHL is 2nd. Also, it would be very hard to recruit players from states like Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan and Illinois when they could just stay close to home and play tier III.

As for the ways Wisconsin schools recruit... Yes maybe a few schools would look at this league for a few players but they would not change their recruiting ways much from the way they are now which is USHL, NAHL, tier III. And in some cases (St. Norberts, Superior) Canadian juniors-USHL, NAHL, tier III. Thats the way it is.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 am

huville wrote:
I can say this because it is true.

Still, how can you say it's true if the league hasn't even begun play yet? Didn't I read they start in 2011? No one is disputing how good other leagues are. Tough to knock something until there's actual proof. In my opinion, an open mind to situations or opportunities like this would be a better route rather than bashing something because it's new. You may end up being right, but then again the Wisconsin league may offer something that appeals to others. Like I said, tough to knock it until we've actually seen it.
Character is who you are when no one is watching

juniorhockey

true

Post by juniorhockey » Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 am

I think it's true that we have to wait before we can say bad things, but using history as a guide... these leagues rarely last more then two or three years and usually lose people a great deal of money.