Minnesota HS players in the 2008 NHL Draft

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

darkdemon

Minnesota HS players in the 2008 NHL Draft

Post by darkdemon »

With the upcoming NHL draft how high will the best from Minnesota go?

Jake Gardiner, some mock drafts have him going as high as #21
Aaron Ness
Corey Fienhage
Justin Jokinen
Drew Olson
and others i have missed but these are the top from Minnesota
The DEMON
Tenoverpar

highest

Post by Tenoverpar »

Actually, from an NHL gentleman I had lunch with last weekend, Ness is as high as top ten on some boards and as LOW as not even worth drafting on others. Depends on what games scouts saw. If you saw him in states this year play Blaine, you think he's the best player available in Minnesota. If you saw him in the finals vs Hill Murray, you think "why is this kid so hyped". Hopefully he goes as high as possible. Personally, I can't wait to see him with the Gopher uniform on in the fall.

One kid you missed is Derrick Stepan, from Hastings by way of Shattuck St Mary's. Stepan is a possible 1st rounder to middle 2nd. The kid is on the scoresheet in every game he plays.

Gardiner will be a stud, maybe the best out of this class in the long run.

Either way, any kid who gets mentioned must be a heck of a player and any kid drafted is at the beginning of the journey all over again. It's like going back to mites at age 18, if you can see the thought process.
boblee

Re: highest

Post by boblee »

Tenoverpar wrote:If you saw him in the finals vs Hill Murray, you think "why is this kid so hyped".
Semi-finals, not finals. Ness is very good and very overhyped.
Neutron 14

Re: highest

Post by Neutron 14 »

boblee wrote: Ness is very good and very overhyped.
GASP! :shock:

When did you move to the cities bobber?
boblee

post 10393

Post by boblee »

Neutron 14 wrote:

I look at Cade Fairchild and all the hype he had at Duluth East and Ann Arbor and I feel that he had an average year at the "U" at best. He played for the Nation's top team as far as development goes for two years. Ness played at Roseau, with a weak schedule and flourished as a high school sophomore and junior. When he got down to St. Paul for his junior year teams knocked him around and took him completely out of the game (forget the Blaine effort). The kid can play, but he is not ready to be a top 2-3 defenseman for the Gophers next season. I just can't see him being an Alex Goligoski right away. Better than Brandon Martell, though.
MNHockeyFan

Re: post 10393

Post by MNHockeyFan »

boblee wrote:The kid can play, but he is not ready to be a top 2-3 defenseman for the Gophers next season. I just can't see him being an Alex Goligoski right away.
boblee,

As a Gopher season ticket holder, I really hope you're wrong, even though I understand your point. Going straight to D1, especially today when most incoming freshmen have a year or two of experience playing Juniors, is a HUGE step up for any 18 year-old. But the counter-argument is that one big advantage he'll have (in making the transition) is the big ice surface at Mariucci, where skating ability and puck skills become so important, even more so than size. The Gophers really need a D or two who can make things happen offensively. Overall they've become way too predictable and thus easy to defend against - from what I've seen Ness can do the unexpected when it comes to setting up plays and getting the puck to open teammates at just the right time. He may have a bigger impact a lot sooner than people expect - obviously Lucia must think so.
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
boblee wrote:The kid can play, but he is not ready to be a top 2-3 defenseman for the Gophers next season. I just can't see him being an Alex Goligoski right away.
boblee,

As a Gopher season ticket holder, I really hope you're wrong, even though I understand your point. Going straight to D1, especially today when most incoming freshmen have a year or two of experience playing Juniors, is a HUGE step up for any 18 year-old. But the counter-argument is that one big advantage he'll have (in making the transition) is the big ice surface at Mariucci, where skating ability and puck skills become so important, even more so than size. The Gophers really need a D or two who can make things happen offensively. Overall they've become way too predictable and thus easy to defend against - from what I've seen Ness can do the unexpected when it comes to setting up plays and getting the puck to open teammates at just the right time. He may have a bigger impact a lot sooner than people expect - obviously Lucia must think so.
I heard Ness got the assist for Detroit's game winning goal the other night.
:wink: :lol:
Just kidding, but seriously, I think he and the U would benefit if he played a year of juniors first.
SEE YOU AT THE RINK
hockey nut

Stepan

Post by hockey nut »

Tenover I would agree with you about Derek Stepan from Hastings. I think he is going to go alot higher than his CSS ranking of 58. He finished with 111 points in 58 games. I think he may be a first rounder. Good luck to all the Minnesota kids. I also agree with you on the Ness kid. I think the next level is going to be very hard for him.
boblee

post 10400

Post by boblee »

About the big ice sheet at Mariucci--

I believe that will make Ness look more seasoned than he is, problem is, they will play just as many, if not more games on the road. I hope he steps in and has a great freshman year, but realistically they need this:

Bickel, Fairchild, Anderson, and Fischer need to be the top four D.

Also, I think Ness is the third biggest freshman coming to the "U" next year. I would prize Schroeder and Sacchetti above Ness right now.
The Exiled One

Re: post 10400

Post by The Exiled One »

boblee wrote:About the big ice sheet at Mariucci--

I believe that will make Ness look more seasoned than he is, problem is, they will play just as many, if not more games on the road. I hope he steps in and has a great freshman year, but realistically they need this:

Bickel, Fairchild, Anderson, and Fischer need to be the top four D.

Also, I think Ness is the third biggest freshman coming to the "U" next year. I would prize Schroeder and Sacchetti above Ness right now.
:?: :-k :?:

He didn't exactly tear up the USHL in his first campaign. I'm not saying Nico won't be a contributor, but I am saying he won't be even close to ROTY. Schroeder, on the other hand...
mch

Post by mch »

boblee wrote:About the big ice sheet at Mariucci--

I believe that will make Ness look more seasoned than he is, problem is, they will play just as many, if not more games on the road.
actually i think 6 of the 10 wcha rinks are on olympic sheets, so he should be able to use this to his advantage in a lot of road series
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

boblee wrote:Bickel, Fairchild, Anderson, and Fischer need to be the top four D.

They sure need him to step up and help the D. I"m still trying to figure out what made Fischer a 1st round draft pick. If he doesn't improve, the draft pick could rank up their with Troy Williamson!

Don't forget about Hansen. We need his scoring on a pathetic power play unit last year. Put him on the side in place of Bariball and let him fire away.
boblee

post 10405

Post by boblee »

Fischer was an outstanding defenseman in high school and he won Mr. Hockey with a relatively low amount of points. He was an absolute shut down defenseman. He just hasn't seemed to take to the college game as quickly as some. Hopefully 2008-2009 is a breakout year for him.
ahastars03

Post by ahastars03 »

why would you want ness to play jrs. he won't be a gopher for 4 years this way they might get him for three by sending him straight there. it will be a jump and he might not have a great freshman year but no d have unreal years as freshman. he will be fine and going to the gophers right away is the only option. if i were ness and they told me to go play jrs. i would tell them i would be attending the badgers or und because i am sure either one of those schools would be happy to have him.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

boblee wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:

I look at Cade Fairchild and all the hype he had at Duluth East and Ann Arbor and I feel that he had an average year at the "U" at best. He played for the Nation's top team as far as development goes for two years. Ness played at Roseau, with a weak schedule and flourished as a high school sophomore and junior. When he got down to St. Paul for his junior year teams knocked him around and took him completely out of the game (forget the Blaine effort). The kid can play, but he is not ready to be a top 2-3 defenseman for the Gophers next season. I just can't see him being an Alex Goligoski right away. Better than Brandon Martell, though.
I understand this is a HS hockey forum, but do people really think that scouts base Ness's performance on only his HS performance? Or Roseau's failure at the state tournament? Roseau struggled bad at times offensively this year, when a defensman is your leading scorer, that is a sign of the teams true weakness. Hill Murry had a plan to shut one guy down, that is not rocket science, and the plan worked.

I think you need to look more at his performance with the U18 team where he only had to worry about D, then took advantage offensively when it was available. He has excelled at an international level, that we do not get to see. I have to believe the Goph's would not have brought him in if they did not think he was ready.
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

black sheep wrote:
boblee wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote: GASP! :shock:

I understand this is a HS hockey forum, but do people really think that scouts base Ness's performance on only his HS performance? Or Roseau's failure at the state tournament? Roseau struggled bad at times offensively this year, when a defensman is your leading scorer, that is a sign of the teams true weakness. Hill Murry had a plan to shut one guy down, that is not rocket science, and the plan worked.

I think you need to look more at his performance with the U18 team where he only had to worry about D, then took advantage offensively when it was available. He has excelled at an international level, that we do not get to see. I have to believe the Goph's would not have brought him in if they did not think he was ready.
Blackie, you are right on. Ness has excelled when playing against the best in the world. His recent success in Russia had me wondering, if there had been too much homework and too many distractions this past year in high school for the kid to play his best hockey. In Russia, there weren't many distractions (well, except for beautiful girls--I've been to Russia several times, including Kazan...I know about Russian girls--but Ness couldn't speak their language, so that might have helped... :lol: ). Ness forgot about school for a few days and focused on hockey, and the results were good.

The comment about Ness needing to go to the juniors had me laughing my arse off--what planet is that guy living on? :roll:
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

5th Line Center wrote:
black sheep wrote:
boblee wrote: I look at Cade Fairchild and all the hype he had at Duluth East and Ann Arbor and I feel that he had an average year at the "U" at best. He played for the Nation's top team as far as development goes for two years. Ness played at Roseau, with a weak schedule and flourished as a high school sophomore and junior. When he got down to St. Paul for his junior year teams knocked him around and took him completely out of the game (forget the Blaine effort). The kid can play, but he is not ready to be a top 2-3 defenseman for the Gophers next season. I just can't see him being an Alex Goligoski right away. Better than Brandon Martell, though.

Blackie, you are right on. Ness has excelled when playing against the best in the world. His recent success in Russia had me wondering, if there had been too much homework and too many distractions this past year in high school for the kid to play his best hockey. In Russia, there weren't many distractions (well, except for beautiful girls--I've been to Russia several times, including Kazan...I know about Russian girls--but Ness couldn't speak their language, so that might have helped... :lol: ). Ness forgot about school for a few days and focused on hockey, and the results were good.

The comment about Ness needing to go to the juniors had me laughing my arse off--what planet is that guy living on? :roll:
Comment was not that he NEEDED to, but that I thought he would benefit. Just my opinion which I am allowed to. Never asked anyone to agree with me.
SEE YOU AT THE RINK
breakout

Re: post 10405

Post by breakout »

boblee wrote:Fischer was an outstanding defenseman in high school and he won Mr. Hockey with a relatively low amount of points. He was an absolute shut down defenseman. He just hasn't seemed to take to the college game as quickly as some. Hopefully 2008-2009 is a breakout year for him.
He played a different game in high school. He was used 60 plus % of every game @ AV. He was not the type of player that was going to be Paul Coffey like and lug the puck up the ice. At the U he plays considerably less and on a big sheet.

I wouldn't consider him a high skill type player. He is solid for a taller young man. Another year filling out via lifting, nutrition and growing more confident should help him take his game to a new level this year.

This is the year for him to reach a new level at the U. If not, I have to imagine that the NHL folks would be less than impressed with his development.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

10. Aaron Ness, D – Roseau Rams (Minn. HS): Ness showed just how fit a 5-foot-10, 170-pound teenager can be at the draft combine and likely quelled any fears NHL teams had about his size. The University of Minnesota commit can skate and stickhandle with the best of them and is likely a mid to late first-rounder. Draft eligible in 2008.

Hockey News article June 3, 2008
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Green and White Fan wrote: a 5-foot-10, 170-pound teenager

Saw an NHL Rankings for the draft somewhere else on this board that listed Ness as 5'10" 157lbs. Relayed that info to a Roseau local who said if he's 157 then he must've gained weight. Not doubting his talent or potential, still think he's a bit small for the pro game.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

GR3343 wrote:Saw an NHL Rankings for the draft somewhere else on this board that listed Ness as 5'10" 157lbs. Relayed that info to a Roseau local who said if he's 157 then he must've gained weight. Not doubting his talent or potential, still think he's a bit small for the pro game.
NHL Central Scouting officially measures player height and weight so there really isn't much to dispute in regard to whether that is an accurate listing. If anything, I would guess Ness may be even heavier given the listed measurement of him was taken some time last summer/fall.
oldbarn7

Post by oldbarn7 »

After the combine the two biggest news stories are as follows:

-Ness being mentioned in The Hockey News about his impressive showing at the combine which has boosted him to be a "lock" for the first round. A surprise a little for myself. Aaron is a GREAT player and I think will have a great career beyond the U of M, but first round I thought may be a possibility but not a lock. Good to hear.

-One of the drafts biggest movers after the tests (especially the biking and push ups) was Justin Jokinen of Cloquet. Supposedly at the combine he performed so well that he could now go as high as the late first round. This came as an absolute shock to me. Regardless of height and untapped physical potential that he obviously has, IMO he is not a first round pick.
komada77

Post by komada77 »

His recent success in Russia had me wondering, if there had been too much homework and too many distractions this past year in high school for the kid to play his best hockey.
Won't those same distractions mutiply by about a thousand when he is in college? Let's not forget, Ness will be a STUDENT-athlete, meaning he has to get his school work (which will be about 100 times more difficult than any of his high school work) done along with play top notch hockey day in-day out. He also will be living on his own for the first time, and that's hard on a lot of kids.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

The main difference is when he is at the U, Ness won't be trying to complete two years worth of school in one school year (and juggle that with all the demands of hockey at the same time) like he did this past year. The class difficulty will go up a notch in college but the overall time spent on studies will likely be less than what he dealt with this past year when it was pretty much a full time thing whenever he was away from the rink.
hipcheck

also

Post by hipcheck »

Also add that he will not be the sole leader on the ice. He will be able to focus more on his duties as a defenseman and move the puck to highly skilled forwards!