SEC Next Season

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win the SEC in 2008-09?

Cretin-Derham Hall
16%
Forest Lake
3%
Hastings
9%
Mounds View
3%
Park
1%
Roseville
3%
Stillwater
7%
White Bear Lake
31%
Woodbury
26%

Total votes: 89

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

wbmd wrote:
Goose19 wrote:CDH will be a very good team. Zimmerman, ALt and Bangs are all very good and all are in Elite. They have seven forwards back so three good lines and four d and alt is amazing and a returning goalie but he's unproven. Woodbury's two guys can't beat them. They have like four returners. they will be trash. Eddy was the only reason they were good. CDH vs Eastview section 3AA Final
David Eddy was far from being the only reason Woodbury was good last season or even the previous season.

Good goaltending, guys stepping up when not expected to -- such as Mike Nelson in the 3AA finals -- and the coaching of Wes Bolin.
Every time I watched Woodbury last year I was impressed with the play of Walker Hyland. I think he stood out as a sophomore on the blueline.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

SEC Scotty wrote:
wbmd wrote:
Goose19 wrote:CDH will be a very good team. Zimmerman, ALt and Bangs are all very good and all are in Elite. They have seven forwards back so three good lines and four d and alt is amazing and a returning goalie but he's unproven. Woodbury's two guys can't beat them. They have like four returners. they will be trash. Eddy was the only reason they were good. CDH vs Eastview section 3AA Final
David Eddy was far from being the only reason Woodbury was good last season or even the previous season.

Good goaltending, guys stepping up when not expected to -- such as Mike Nelson in the 3AA finals -- and the coaching of Wes Bolin.
Every time I watched Woodbury last year I was impressed with the play of Walker Hyland. I think he stood out as a sophomore on the blueline.
If I'm not mistaken, Walker Hyland was also named to the honorable mention all-conference team last year.
Studly02011

Post by Studly02011 »

iamlegend99 wrote:who is going to be the best returning players from this conference?

and who is going to be the best sophomores or people playing first year varsity?
sophomores that i know that are good

Cretin-Derham Hall-barbato? kinda big, all around alright player

Forest Lake-none

Hastings-nelson, little small but really good

Mounds View-none

Park-most left to private schools

Roseville-becker made the adv. 15 team.

Stillwater-dochniak, never seen him but heard he was good

White Bear Lake-birkinbine, really good, made adv. 15 team

Woodbury-turner, all around good player
komada77

Post by komada77 »

wbmd wrote:
SEC Scotty wrote:
wbmd wrote: David Eddy was far from being the only reason Woodbury was good last season or even the previous season.

If I'm not mistaken, Walker Hyland was also named to the honorable mention all-conference team last year.
Actually I think he was all-conference.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
slapstkhound

Post by slapstkhound »

komada77 wrote:
wbmd wrote:
SEC Scotty wrote:Every time I watched Woodbury last year I was impressed with the play of Walker Hyland. I think he stood out as a sophomore on the blueline.
Hyland was good but also had a fair amount of penalties as well. He had a couple of really critical ones in the Benilde game that completely turned the tide.
komada77

Post by komada77 »

slapstkhound wrote:
komada77 wrote:
wbmd wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Walker Hyland was also named to the honorable mention all-conference team last year.
Hyland was good but also had a fair amount of penalties as well. He had a couple of really critical ones in the Benilde game that completely turned the tide.
He did have some critical penalties, but I think (or maybe hope) that had quite a bit to do with inexperience/nerves, given that he was a sophomore playing in his first ever state tourney and was also the best defenseman on the team.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
CuidadoConElFuego

Post by CuidadoConElFuego »

byahhhh
Last edited by CuidadoConElFuego on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post by B »

komada77 wrote:Another question for you all: Is there a team in the SEC who will make the state tourney next year?
yes i think so. Woodbury and CDH usually make it to their section championship, if not play eachother. and I think White Bear will make a run this year. Not that they are a sleeper, because they always to pretty good, but I think they will surprise alot of people coming down the stretch. Roseville also makes good runs in the playoffs, and if it comes down to a WBL vs HM game for section 4AA i think an upset is stirring.
losing is still far from optional
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Pucknutz69 wrote:Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:25 pm Post subject: Suburban East Conference

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is it just me or are White Bear and Woodbury going to have the easiet schedules ever battling for a first place spot. whos going to win this conference?

Nice first post newbbie. Now go away. Anyone that thinks SEC is an easy schedule is a dumbass!
SEC hockey is a cakewalk aka easy schedule.

AY 8)
B

Post by B »

Pucknutz69 wrote:Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:25 pm Post subject: Suburban East Conference

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is it just me or are White Bear and Woodbury going to have the easiet schedules ever battling for a first place spot. whos going to win this conference?

Nice first post newbbie. Now go away. Anyone that thinks SEC is an easy schedule is a dumbass!
i dont think im a dumbass for thinking white bear and woodbury dont have tough schedules. playing moundsview, forest lake and park for a hard schedule...oh and dont forget those hastings raiders doesnt sound to hard...and CDH is only giong to have one half way decent line, they have no depth. wbl and woodbury have solid players all over the roster. we're not playing football here pucknutz.(cdh,moundsview,woodbury all top 7 in state for football) this is hockey and last time i checked wbl and woodbury WILL have easier schedules than usual
losing is still far from optional
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

Just asked weather you think Hills conference is tougher.
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Absolutely not.

AY 8)
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

why do you think SEC is weak? besides ripping hastings and park
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

The only team with a legit shot @ the title is WBL. CDH is a group of private school pansies and the Woodbury Royals are pretenders - all their good kids transfer (are recruited) by Hill. The rest of the pack would not contend for the A title. We'll talk in March and see who's right.

AY 8)
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

I guess we wait. But, based on what I have seen with these teams from thier youth hockey days I would say Woodbury and WBL have a good shot at GETTING to STATE. I think it will be Edinas year but this will be one of the best tournaments top to bottom. This age group is one of the most talented groups the State has had in a long time.

All are contenders.
Section 2AA Edina
Section 3AA CDH/Woodbury
Section 4AA Hill/WBL
Section 5AA Centennial
Section 6AA Eden Prairie/Minnetonka
Section 7AA Duluth East/Grand Rapids
Section 8AA Moorhead

Section 3AA
Woodbury hasn't lost anyone from this group of bantams, very good coaching
CDH has tremendous athletes and grooms winners

Section 4AA
WBL is on a mission, all of them sticking around says something considering they hate the coach so much

Section 7AA
Flake will surprise someone in sections, not make it but I could them upsetting someone this year
oldguy39

Post by oldguy39 »

Felt bad... Couldnt have only one team with no votes.... :cry:
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

Pucknutz69 wrote:I guess we wait. But, based on what I have seen with these teams from thier youth hockey days I would say Woodbury and WBL have a good shot at GETTING to STATE. I think it will be Edinas year but this will be one of the best tournaments top to bottom. This age group is one of the most talented groups the State has had in a long time.

All are contenders.
Section 2AA Edina
Section 3AA CDH/Woodbury
Section 4AA Hill/WBL
Section 5AA Centennial
Section 6AA Eden Prairie/Minnetonka
Section 7AA Duluth East/Grand Rapids
Section 8AA Moorhead

Section 3AA
Woodbury hasn't lost anyone from this group of bantams, very good coaching
CDH has tremendous athletes and grooms winners

Section 4AA
WBL is on a mission, all of them sticking around says something considering they hate the coach so much

Section 7AA
Flake will surprise someone in sections, not make it but I could them upsetting someone this year
Not even gonna give Mattson a chance? Come on now, we saw what Burnsville almost did with one line and a hot goaltender that night. And no shot for Roseau either? Youre losing all your credibility fast my friend. Section 1 not sending a team to the X this year? This guy's washed up... :roll:
Stay Classy, Minnesota.
GBombay29

Post by GBombay29 »

I think what he means is, there are some really good teams this year.

AHA isn't deep enough, Mattson can't do it on his own.

Roseau had to big of a turnover.

Burnsville what they did and what they almost did are 2 different things.
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

GBombay29 wrote:I think what he means is, there are some really good teams this year.

AHA isn't deep enough, Mattson can't do it on his own.

Roseau had to big of a turnover.

Burnsville what they did and what they almost did are 2 different things.
A. I understand that was his point and I was helping him add in other contenders, since that was the word he used.

B. My Burnsville point was they weren't deep at all, like AHA, and just about won that game. So, to not put AHA in the "contenders" category, i believe, is not right.

C. Barnes+Hendrickson vs Mattson and a few Reillys? AHA might have a better shot.

D. Define turnover.

E. Roseau will always be in contention as far as I'm concerned

F. To get back on topic, Woodbury's got a solid team but lost a few to many key players to repeat. Go Bears?
Stay Classy, Minnesota.
mnpuckmaster

Post by mnpuckmaster »

Newsflash- Hastings isn't going to be as bad as you all think they are going to be this season. I'm not saying top three, but they will have some talkability this year.
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

Roseville made their team selections after just one day of tryouts. They had to cut a few goalies, but everyone else who tried out appeared to make JV or Varsity. They had less than 40 kids trying out. This surprises me because I had always heard they had a very strong youth program.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Charliedog wrote:Roseville made their team selections after just one day of tryouts. They had to cut a few goalies, but everyone else who tried out appeared to make JV or Varsity. They had less than 40 kids trying out. This surprises me because I had always heard they had a very strong youth program.

Totino Grace.
specialblend

Post by specialblend »

mnpuckmaster wrote:Newsflash- Hastings isn't going to be as bad as you all think they are going to be this season. I'm not saying top three, but they will have some talkability this year.
Of course they will have talkability this year. People talk about how bad Hastings is every year, haha.
ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD »

I'll second that one. The only thing people will be talkng about is "what has happened to that program?" Welsh has single handidly turned that program upside down. Only time will tell if he can manage to not lose 15-20 straight.
BigD93

Post by BigD93 »

ALSECORD wrote:I'll second that one. The only thing people will be talkng about is "what has happened to that program?" Welsh has single handidly turned that program upside down. Only time will tell if he can manage to not lose 15-20 straight.
alright it is welch not welsh