Thinking of moving from Ca. to Minn. for hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

socalgoaliemom

Thinking of moving from Ca. to Minn. for hockey

Post by socalgoaliemom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:10 am

Hi, My son and I are looking for help from the hockey community in Minn.
California hockey has been very good to our family but we can no longer afford it. If anyone out there can share their thoughts and help us to make an informed decision on where we should move we would be very grateful. Thanks!

Bruins

Post by Bruins » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 am

One thing to keep in mind is that Minnesota does not have AAA hockey in the winter and where you reside here will determine where you play hockey. What level/year is your child and what part of the state will you be moving to? I am assuming he is a goalie. Our age cutoffs are also different than Ca.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:16 pm

I would imagine the cost of moving is going to be more than continuing to play in Cali.
The U invented swagger.

socalgoaliemom

Post by socalgoaliemom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:53 pm

My son is a young 94, late Oct. b-day, and yes he is a goalie. He will be in 8th grade this year. He is playing 16u Midget AA this year. Just to give you an idea of the costs, Dues for 1 season with our club are around 5,000. That does not include four travel tournament costs per year. Housing prices have plumetted and left alot of people scrambling. The cost of the move is definatly worth it. What are your age cutoffs? What do kids do in the winter? We will move to whatever part of the state has the right level of hockey for my son......What about Roseau?

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:00 pm

socalgoaliemom wrote:My son is a young 94, late Oct. b-day, and yes he is a goalie. He will be in 8th grade this year. He is playing 16u Midget AA this year. Just to give you an idea of the costs, Dues for 1 season with our club are around 5,000. That does not include four travel tournament costs per year. Housing prices have plumetted and left alot of people scrambling. The cost of the move is definatly worth it. What are your age cutoffs? What do kids do in the winter? We will move to whatever part of the state has the right level of hockey for my son......What about Roseau?
Finding a job doesn't play a role in your decision to move?
The U invented swagger.

socalgoaliemom

Post by socalgoaliemom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:04 pm

yes, but I was thinking part time if the cost of living (and hockey) was lower....

sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:13 pm

socalgoaliemom wrote:yes, but I was thinking part time if the cost of living (and hockey) was lower....
I don't know how much living you'll be doing on a part time job, so I assume you already have money? If he's any good, move to the powerhouse associations like Edina, White Bear Lake, Burnsville, and if you don't like those places by his freshman year, enroll him into a private school like Hill Murray, Benilde St. Margaret, or Academy of Holy Angels.
Publik Skoolz

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Your son would be a first year bantam. check out
www.minnesotahockey.org for more info.

AAA level hockey is played in the summer, like your club team kids can be from any where. Winter hockey is community based. Each town has a hockey association and rules are set forth by Minnesota Hockey. Some associations have upwords of 1500 kids involved others are around 300-600. Most have an A (best 17 kids in town), B level and a couple of C level teams. If you are serious about this look more at what high school area you would live in or attend a private school. Before you go worrying about the right level maybe take a trip up here and attend a camp or try and hook up with a 94 age AAA team for a couple of games. Most of the coaches involved wouldn't chase you away. Then you could see how your son measures up. You could also get a better feel for the areas to live in.

The right level of hockey is available through out the state. Roseau is a tough area. I'm guessing that you live in a heavy populated area? No Starbucks or Gucci stores anywhere near Roseau.

socalgoaliemom

Post by socalgoaliemom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:43 pm

I would love to have him come out and see how he would do. I am not sure what the rules are about him playing with another team when he has already signed with a team hear in Ca. The coaches there would know, I assume. As far as high school area, thats what I am trying to find out. Any AAA coaches out there that come to mind? I know it will be a major life style change but think it may be a good thing. Its a big move and sacrifice for me so I would like to get it right the first time if I can.

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Pretty much anything goes in the summer it's after tryouts inthe fall that you would have problems. there are quite a few summer programs out here that let goalies train for a reduced price.

www.letsplayhockey.com is a local hockey magazine that has camp info in it. look aon the menu on the left and it should have a camp listing.

Adam Banks

Post by Adam Banks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:06 pm

you should definately move to the northern part of minnesota. relastate is cheaper generally and hockey is better for the most part, also outdoor rinks are a lot better up north and everybody loves it when a goilie shows up

komada77

Post by komada77 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:01 pm

If you're looking public school (let's hope you are) I would hope you're also looking at least somewhat into the academics of the school. The best combination of hockey and academics in a public school is. as much as I hate to say it, Edina. Unfortunately, Edina is on the way upper end of the home price range in the Twin Cities area. Other places I would consider for both hockey and academics that are slightly more reasonable price wise (although most of these are very white-collar as well) include Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Woodbury, and Bloomington Jefferson. All 4 of those schools have good hockey programs and excellent academics, a surprisinlgy difficult combination to find.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:07 pm

You can't beat the value of Hill-Murray. On the East side of St. Paul, you could reside in a nice town like Woodbury, Maplewood, Oakdale, or White Bear Lake and be a short distance away from the hockey mecca.

As a Pioneer Alum, I recommend Hill-Murray not only for the academics but, for the strong tradition of hockey.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

komada77

Post by komada77 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:27 pm

komada77 wrote:If you're looking public school (let's hope you are) I would hope you're also looking at least somewhat into the academics of the school. The best combination of hockey and academics in a public school is. as much as I hate to say it, Edina. Unfortunately, Edina is on the way upper end of the home price range in the Twin Cities area. Other places I would consider for both hockey and academics that are slightly more reasonable price wise (although most of these are very white-collar as well) include Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Woodbury, and Bloomington Jefferson. All 4 of those schools have good hockey programs and excellent academics, a surprisinlgy difficult combination to find.
Actually, I would advise against moving here to go to Woodbury because a second school is opening there and that will deplete the talent level in both schools. Totally forgot about that. The academics are still really good though :D

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:06 pm

Watch what you say about her bringing her son here to play. Some posts are borderline recruiting, even if you have graduated.
Her best bet would be to research the school districts and the availability of jobs. Northern MN is not necessarily the best place for hockey. They have produced a whole lot of players, but so has the metro. Housing can be found anywhere.

Research the state, schools and teams then decide. Make a trip out here and look around.

O-townClown

for real?

Post by O-townClown » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Boy, it seems like you are not too familiar with the area. You're serious about this?

Roseau is pretty remote. I've never been there. It isn't too far from Winnipeg (2 hours?), but it is a long, long way from the Twin Cities. There are a couple thousand people there and that's it.

Half of the state resides in the Twins and half is outstate. Some cities of size like Duluth, Rochester, and St. Cloud, but none of those are very big compared to what you have in Southern Cal. Cities people haven't reallly heard of (like Oceanside) can be over 100,000 people.

You won't be the first to move from California to Minnesota for hockey. Believe it or not, the 1984 state champs had two 10th graders from Los Angeles.

Good news for you - travel hockey in the Twins means nearly all your games are within 30 minutes of home.
Be kind. Rewind.

Fire and Ice

Post by Fire and Ice » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:02 am

How do you sell Woodbury, Burnsville, Minnetonka as top programs?
Centennial AA State Champions 2004

SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Park Rapids is the bomb.....its true... :o ...our academics is not very good and our school is in a ton of debt....come to PR!! :o :lol:
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke

D16Dad

Post by D16Dad » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Bemidji - Northern Hockey, D16 youth hockey 17 min periods at pee wee and bantams, good schools, year round indoor ice, D1 college hockey (Bemidji State), good kids, lake country...

komada77

Post by komada77 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Fire and Ice wrote:How do you sell Woodbury, Burnsville, Minnetonka as top programs?
Burnsville shouldn't even be a question. They are 2 time state champions and almost always produce a good team. Woodbury and Minnetonka are tougher to justify but not too tough. Woodbury has been to state twice in a row, has the best coach in the state, and is turning into one of the premier east-metro teams. Minnetonka was one of the favorites to win the state title last year and they another emerging power.

gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:41 pm

when considering academics i as well as housing and quality team St. Cloud is a great place to be. All housing is cheapest right now, not a great time to sell, but perfect time to buy, as far as academics, Cathedral is one of the top schools in minnesota. If tuition is a problem, Tech continues to produce a decent team every year if i remember correctly.

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:08 am

I'm originally from Roseau, currently living in "da cities," but pay attention to the Roseau kids...

As far as hockey goes...you will not find a better place to learn the game. Since it is a small town, they don't have many kids. So everyone gets a lot of ice time and they try to produce a championship team from the few players that they have. Looking at the players that are coming through the system, the 94's and 95's look very impressive. They will likely win a state championship or two before they leave town. A good '94 goalie might be helpful...

Historically, Roseau has not recruited players--even frowned upon it. When people move there it is usually a situation where alumni are returning, because they love the lifestyle and want to raise a family there.

It is true what people are saying. Roseau is rather remote--Winnipeg is the closest major city--about an hour and 20 minutes drive... If you like a quiet life and love hunting, fishing, snowmobiling--and hockey; it is great place to live.

conditioningsucks

Post by conditioningsucks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:24 am

Here is your definitive answer:

Do not move to Edina, Minnetonka, Woodbury, etc.

Here is why:

1) Your kid is too old to break into the political systems of the large associations. Many of these parents have been buddies for eight or more years. They drink together, hit golf balls together, and they wouldn't cut their buddies kid unless your kid was the second coming of Patrick Roy.

2) The larger programs that people talk about are not good training grounds for goalies. Great, so your goalie gets 15 shutouts next year, but only took 8-9 weak shots per game. Look at competitive programs that aren't in the top 10 or programs that are developing. Here your kid will see many difficult games with 30-45 shots. Here are some to consider - Waconia, Prior Lake, Lakeville (programs are softer in the '94 range), Forest Lake, Minneapolis Park, Andover, Hopkins, Eastview, Highland Central, etc. Avoid associations/communities that are struggling to stay alive at competitive levels - Richfield, Irondale, Osseo, Orono, Bloomington Kennedy, South Saint Paul, Cottage Grove, SP Johnson, SP Como, etc.

Hockey is cheap - under $1,300 at most of these associations. However, if you choose to play AAA in the offseason expect to spend $2,000 before travelling.

My final recommendation is that you contact each of the associations above and find out about their goaltender depth. No use showing up to find out there are five goalies in front of your kid.

If your kid is a late year '94 it is assumed that he would be entering 8th grade. You have one year of play to decide where your final high school will be as at 9th grade you must declare (transfering after 9th grade results in a one year 'sabbatical' where your kid can't play for their new school).

PM me if you have any additional questions.

socalgoaliemom

Post by socalgoaliemom » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

I really want to thank all of you that took the time to help out! Whith all the different views and opinions every one on these boards remained respectful and pleasant. You have offered some great information and I love to read what you guys have to say. If you go on the socal forums it doesnt take long for a topic to go south. It is funny that the first message board that I would go on would be yours! I understand tryouts are in the middle of September in Minn. so if my son wants to play this year I will be very busy trying to make a good decision! Maybe we will see some of you at tryouts. By the way, if you go on socal forums I believe there is a socalgoalie mom on there, not me! I just liked the name.....

myhockey

Post by myhockey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:35 am

Another thing to look at with roseau is they have a great company in Polaris industries to work at or if you don't mind a 20 mile drive to work there is Marvin windows and doors. Both of these comapnys are a great place to work...the wages and benefits are as good as they get up North.