Highland Park Sr. High

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyboys

Highland Park Sr. High

Post by hockeyboys »

I understand that Highland Park is starting a hockey program. They will have JV team for 08-09 and will move to varsity for 09-10.
Is there really enough players to have a competitive team? With the best Highland players typically going to CDH or St. Thomas, and others going to Como, SPA, Johnson - does this do anything other than lower the competitve levels of all the St. Paul teams?
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

I heard that they would try a JV schedule in 2008-2009, but did not know they might go varsity the following year. I also wonder where the numbers will come from to pull this off? Unless they are getting a good read on Highland Central players that are heading to Highland Sr. High, I do not see this happening.

Most of the Highland Central youth players do go to CDH, St. Thomas, and SPA with a few to AHA and Hill. Not sure that will change too much.

Who is going to coach the team this year?
mch

Re: Highland Park Sr. High

Post by mch »

hockeyboys wrote:I understand that Highland Park is starting a hockey program. They will have JV team for 08-09 and will move to varsity for 09-10.
Is there really enough players to have a competitive team? With the best Highland players typically going to CDH or St. Thomas, and others going to Como, SPA, Johnson - does this do anything other than lower the competitve levels of all the St. Paul teams?
would players that already attend Highland that played on como's varsity last year have to move down to jv for this season?
RLStars

Re: Highland Park Sr. High

Post by RLStars »

mch wrote:
hockeyboys wrote:I understand that Highland Park is starting a hockey program. They will have JV team for 08-09 and will move to varsity for 09-10.
would players that already attend Highland that played on como's varsity last year have to move down to jv for this season?
Well, sounds like they will ONLY have a JV team, so...... You may not have directly asked this question, although may have ment to, do the kids attending Highland HAVE to play for Highland this year, or can they continue to play on Como's (or whatever team that may be) Varsity team? I would hope that they would let the seniors stay with the Como team and not make them play their last year at JV.
cclavin

Post by cclavin »

At least one kid switched from Highland HS to Como HS to avoid any potential problems. He didn't want to get pigeon-holed into a JV only role at HHS after seeing time at both varsity & JV last season.
scotsmen76

Post by scotsmen76 »

Highland Park was a hockey power in th 70's winning the City title in 1976. It was the only time Highland has won the city championship. They were lead by Tom Funk who set a assist record that year with 29 in 12 games. Also John Alexander was the leading scorer in the city that year with 44 pts in 12 games, with 27 goals. The backstop was lead by defensemen John Freidmann who went on to Notre Dame and goalie Rick Benepe who came up big in the playoffs. So there is some tradition with Highland Park.
Ontheice

Post by Ontheice »

scotsmen76 wrote:Highland Park was a hockey power in th 70's winning the City title in 1976. It was the only time Highland has won the city championship. They were lead by Tom Funk who set a assist record that year with 29 in 12 games. Also John Alexander was the leading scorer in the city that year with 44 pts in 12 games, with 27 goals. The backstop was lead by defensemen John Freidmann who went on to Notre Dame and goalie Rick Benepe who came up big in the playoffs. So there is some tradition with Highland Park.
Thanks for the memories from a fellow scotsman76
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

Just curious, if Highland Park plans to go with a varsity schedule 2009-2010, will they plan to have a JV also? I just wonder where all the players will come from as most Highland Central players head to the private schools from my past experiences.

I sure hope they can pull this off, it would be great. I would assume they will have to go independent as far as a conference? Johnson and Como are now in the Tri-Metro.
nbsupremexxx

Post by nbsupremexxx »

Do they plan on playing at Snoopy "Schultz" arena also?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

nbsupremexxx wrote:Do they plan on playing at Snoopy "Schultz" arena also?
Where else would they play? Oscar Johnson? :wink: :D

Where do I pick up a Scots jersey? I suppose I have to jump on this bandwagon now too.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Govs93 wrote:

Where do I pick up a Scots jersey? I suppose I have to jump on this bandwagon now too.
Why not? you do seem to follow the prevailing winds with teams. :?
:lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:

WHAT are you talking about? I'm driving the Rogers bandwagon, aren't I? Not too many winds on that thing! :wink: :lol:
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote: Where else would they play? Oscar Johnson? :wink: :D

WHAT are you talking about? I'm driving the Rogers bandwagon, aren't I? Not too many winds on that thing! :wink: :lol:
We're lucky you haven't been pulled over for careless driving, illegal lane change, unsecured load(of BS), tailgating, or failure to yield.
However it's a sure bet they'll never get you on a right turn on red violation... :lol:
nbsupremexxx

Highland

Post by nbsupremexxx »

wow! growing up playing shultz as a kid, i never thought there could possibly be room for one more team. with all CDH's squads and the little capitals falling all over the place, ice time is going to be hard to come by! Anyone agree? :-k