Dan Delisle commits to UMD

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockman21

Dan Delisle commits to UMD

Post by Hockman21 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Senior from totino-grace Dan Delisle has commited to UMD. He will be going straight there after high school.

shmaz

Post by shmaz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Good for him. Great kid. He'll do fine

wannagototherink

Re: Dan Delisle commits to UMD

Post by wannagototherink » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Hockman21 wrote:Senior from totino-grace Dan Delisle has commited to UMD. He will be going straight there after high school.

By all means this is not a slam on the kid, congratulations to Dan and I hope you have a wonderful career.

But as a UMD alumni, it absolutely blows my mind how many players out of single A high schools they have picked up. What is the deal with that? Plus, to have him come there right out of high school? I would be willing to bet that Dan won't be playing for the same coach that signed him next year.

With that being said, seriously, congrats to Dan!
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

puckman22

Post by puckman22 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm

wannagototherink wrote:
Hockman21 wrote:Senior from totino-grace Dan Delisle has commited to UMD. He will be going straight there after high school.

By all means this is not a slam on the kid, congratulations to Dan and I hope you have a wonderful career.

But as a UMD alumni, it absolutely blows my mind how many players out of single A high schools they have picked up. What is the deal with that? Plus, to have him come there right out of high school? I would be willing to bet that Dan won't be playing for the same coach that signed him next year.

It doesn't matter what class you're in. If you're good enough you'll get picked up.
I went to a fight, and a hockey game broke out.

Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm

puckman22 wrote:
wannagototherink wrote:

It doesn't matter what class you're in. If you're good enough you'll get picked up.
I agree. Look at guys like TJ Oshie, Matt Niskanen, and Blake Wheeler- all guys that played Class A.

Good luck to Delisle at UMD
HOUNDS

Big Hit

Post by Big Hit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Good for Dan nice work! Great kid with a huge heart. I have watched dan a couple times. Great size wonderful hands and very smart!He will have no problem with the jump to the WCHA Dan will have a great career!

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 pm

wannagototherink wrote:

I can definitely understand what you're saying, but I have to agree with others here. There's been pleny of guys to step up right out of Class A play. I know Jack Connolly out of D. Marshall played a year in the USHL but have you seen him play this season? He is going to be very fun to watch at the DECC this year! He's been one of the fastest players on the ice already as a Freshman!

I haven't seen Dan play but congrats, I look forward to watching you play next season!

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am

Lucia4President wrote:
puckman22 wrote:
wannagototherink wrote:...as a UMD alumni, it absolutely blows my mind how many players out of single A high schools they have picked up. What is the deal with that? ...
I agree. Look at guys like TJ Oshie, Matt Niskanen, and Blake Wheeler- all guys that played Class A.
First of all, congratulations to Dan!

I agree with the responses to wannagototherink's comments. In reality, there have probably been more class A recruits in the past few years than AA. Class has no bearing on individual talent. As a matter of fact, here are almost 50 players I could think of that are either committed or already playing DI hockey from class A schools (Don't jump on me if I missed someone, I know there are more, but I don't have the time to research them all... feel free to add to the list)

Birkholz, Josh (Blake) - University of Minnesota
Bordson, Rob (Duluth Marshall) - UMD
Carlson, Corey (Two Harbors) - Vermont
Carson, Mitch (St. Louis Park) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Connolly, Chris (Duluth Marshall) - Boston University
Connolly, Jack (Duluth Marshall) - UMD
Cramer, Ryan (Int'l Falls) - Bemidji State
Crandall, Aaron (St. Thomas Academy) - Wisconsin
DeBoer, Addison (Spring Lake Park) - Colorado College
DeCenzo, Anthony (Hibbing/Chisholm) - Vermont
Dee, Robby (Breck) - Maine
Downey, Jesse (Silver Bay) - UMass
Festler, Jared (Little Falls) - St. Cloud State
Filzen, Justin (Proctor) - Alaska-Fairbanks
Fisher, Derek (Int'l Falls) - Mercyhurst
Forney, Michael (Thief River Falls) - North Dakota
Fulton, Jordan (Breck) - UMD
Gordon, Ben (Int'l Falls) - University of Minnesota
Hanowski, Ben (Little Falls) - St. Cloud State
Hardy, Nathan (Hermantown) - St. Cloud State
Hjelle, Brady (Int'l Falls) - UMD
Huttel, Chad (Hermantown) - UMD
Kemp, Nick (Hermantown) - UMD
Kishel, Scott (Virginia/MI-B) - UMD
Kozlak, Scott (Duluth Marshall) - Air Force
Lapic, Tyler (New Prague) - Wisconsin
LeBlanc, Drew (Hermantown) - St. Cloud State
Lehrke, Zach (Park Rapids) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Leivermann, Corey (Mankato West) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Louwerse, Mike (Blake) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Marvin, Aaron (Warroad) - St. Cloud State
Niskanen, Matt (Virginia/MI-B) - UMD
Oshie, T.J. (Warroad) - North Dakota
Ravndalen, Bryce (Warroad) - St. Cloud State
Richards, Alex (Breck) - Yale
Sacchetti, Nico (Virginia/MI-B) - University of Minnesota
Sackrison, Andy (St. Louis Park) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Schiller, Joe (Detroit Lakes) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Schmidt, Kyle (Hermantown) - UMD
Schmidt, Nate (St. Cloud Cathedral) - University of Minnesota
Schroeder, Jordan (St. Thomas Academy) - University of Minnesota
Stafne, Chris (Duluth Denfeld) - UMD
Walters, Shea (Hibbing/Chisholm) - Bemidji State
Walters, Ryan (St. Thomas Academy) - University of Minnesota
Wessbecker, John (Blake) - UMass
Youso, Jake (Int'l Falls) - University of Minnesota

gunnerstahl

Post by gunnerstahl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:31 pm

congratulations to dan, im sure if umd agreed to have him skip junior hockey that they will have him ready to go come next fall.

bubblehockey27

Post by bubblehockey27 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:51 am

Congrats Dan!
"Virtual high five to chest bump" (MP)

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:33 pm

PuckRanger wrote:
Lucia4President wrote:
puckman22 wrote:
wannagototherink wrote:...as a UMD alumni, it absolutely blows my mind how many players out of single A high schools they have picked up. What is the deal with that? ...
First of all, congratulations to Dan!

I agree with the responses to wannagototherink's comments. In reality, there have probably been more class A recruits in the past few years than AA. Class has no bearing on individual talent. As a matter of fact, here are almost 50 players I could think of that are either committed or already playing DI hockey from class A schools (Don't jump on me if I missed someone, I know there are more, but I don't have the time to research them all... feel free to add to the list)

Birkholz, Josh (Blake) - University of Minnesota
Bordson, Rob (Duluth Marshall) - UMD
Carlson, Corey (Two Harbors) - Vermont
Carson, Mitch (St. Louis Park) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Connolly, Chris (Duluth Marshall) - Boston University
Connolly, Jack (Duluth Marshall) - UMD
Cramer, Ryan (Int'l Falls) - Bemidji State
Crandall, Aaron (St. Thomas Academy) - Wisconsin
DeBoer, Addison (Spring Lake Park) - Colorado College
DeCenzo, Anthony (Hibbing/Chisholm) - Vermont
Dee, Robby (Breck) - Maine
Downey, Jesse (Silver Bay) - UMass
Festler, Jared (Little Falls) - St. Cloud State
Filzen, Justin (Proctor) - Alaska-Fairbanks
Fisher, Derek (Int'l Falls) - Mercyhurst
Forney, Michael (Thief River Falls) - North Dakota
Fulton, Jordan (Breck) - UMD
Gordon, Ben (Int'l Falls) - University of Minnesota
Hanowski, Ben (Little Falls) - St. Cloud State
Hardy, Nathan (Hermantown) - St. Cloud State
Hjelle, Brady (Int'l Falls) - UMD
Huttel, Chad (Hermantown) - UMD
Kemp, Nick (Hermantown) - UMD
Kishel, Scott (Virginia/MI-B) - UMD
Kozlak, Scott (Duluth Marshall) - Air Force
Lapic, Tyler (New Prague) - Wisconsin
LeBlanc, Drew (Hermantown) - St. Cloud State
Lehrke, Zach (Park Rapids) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Leivermann, Corey (Mankato West) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Louwerse, Mike (Blake) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Marvin, Aaron (Warroad) - St. Cloud State
Niskanen, Matt (Virginia/MI-B) - UMD
Oshie, T.J. (Warroad) - North Dakota
Ravndalen, Bryce (Warroad) - St. Cloud State
Richards, Alex (Breck) - Yale
Sacchetti, Nico (Virginia/MI-B) - University of Minnesota
Sackrison, Andy (St. Louis Park) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Schiller, Joe (Detroit Lakes) - Minnesota State-Mankato
Schmidt, Kyle (Hermantown) - UMD
Schmidt, Nate (St. Cloud Cathedral) - University of Minnesota
Schroeder, Jordan (St. Thomas Academy) - University of Minnesota
Stafne, Chris (Duluth Denfeld) - UMD
Walters, Shea (Hibbing/Chisholm) - Bemidji State
Walters, Ryan (St. Thomas Academy) - University of Minnesota
Wessbecker, John (Blake) - UMass
Youso, Jake (Int'l Falls) - University of Minnesota

I guess I should be more clear...How many of these guys went right from Single A high school hockey to College. If you move on and show your mettle in the USHL or NAHL that is different.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

Its Reality

Post by Its Reality » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Congrats to mr. Delisle.

Can't wait to see him in a Bulldog sweater next year.

IamLegend

Post by IamLegend » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Is this the hockey player that tried out for American Idol last year?

I was not very impressed at his hockey skills nor his singing :?
I represent the Hawaiian hockey fans of the world!!

TheSniper09

Post by TheSniper09 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:47 pm

DeLisle to UMD

Totino Grace senior center Dan DeLisle of Arden Hills, Minn., has committed to Minnesota Duluth for 2009-10. Last season he led Totino Grace with 26 goals and 32 assists for 58 points in 27 games, and in the Upper Midwest High School Elite League this fall he has 11 goals and nine assists for 20 points in 18 games with Team Northeast.

DeLisle (6-foot-4 and 225 pounds) was contacted by every school in the WCHA except St. Cloud State, said Totino Grace coach Mark Loahr, and is expected to be taken in the top three rounds of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. DeLisle said he also seriously considered Minnesota State-Mankato.

"I liked that Duluth is a good hockey town, and that they will be getting a new rink in two years. I'm excited to be part of that," said DeLisle.

DeLisle, nephew of 1988 UMD captain Joe DeLisle, has 105 total points in two years on the Totino Grace varsity. Totino Grace lost in the 2008 Section 4A semifinals to eventual state champion St. Thomas Academy and finished 17-10.

"Dan is the total package with size, ability, good hands, scoring touch, hockey sense and he wants to succeed," said Loahr. "He moves the puck so well."

Posted by: pates on 10/21/2008 at 4:14 PM | Comments (0) | Permalink
-Snipes

shmaz

Post by shmaz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:48 pm

REALLY!
What don't you like about the 6'4 225 pounder. Sounds like you are one of few

wblsuperfan alumni

Post by wblsuperfan alumni » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:57 pm

i have to agree with wannagototherink, yes there are obviously a lot of good players that have come from single A schools, but umd seems to have recruited quite a few recently. and then to have them play right after high school is a big gamble. it is different if they have played juniors in between, but there is a big question mark on a kid coming straight out of a single A high school.

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:32 pm

It's a gamble that UMD has to take right now. With the exception of '04 when they went to the Frozen Four, UMD is continuing to hold their presence in the bottom half of the WCHA. Sadelin has to try recruiting these kids because he knows as well as anyone his job is on thin ice right now.

wblsuperfan alumni

Post by wblsuperfan alumni » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:10 pm

with his job on thin ice, wouldnt that be a reason to not take a gamble on these kids? wouldnt he rather recruit some proven names?

mch

Post by mch » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:03 pm

wblsuperfan alumni wrote:with his job on thin ice, wouldnt that be a reason to not take a gamble on these kids? wouldnt he rather recruit some proven names?
he's forced to gamble because of UMD's lack of success the last few years, so he can't get "proven names"

Big Hit

Post by Big Hit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:01 pm

How is he not a "proven name"?

wblsuperfan alumni

Post by wblsuperfan alumni » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:42 pm

im not saying that dan isnt a proven name, im speaking about single A kids in general and how there is a lack of competition in single A compared to double A. umd keeps recruiting local kids which is good, but all the great minnesota kids are going to the u of m. they need to somehow find a way to bring in top players from outside the area.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:54 pm

wblsuperfan alumni wrote: wouldnt he rather recruit some proven names?
Easier said than done when you are continually in the bottom five of the league. Not sure how he is going to land many highly proven names under those circumstances.

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:07 pm

The best thing he has to get those kids in right now is the new rink that UMD will have in 2 or 3 years. As a big UMD fan I have to say I really appreciate the local MN boys that Sandelin is bringing in. It wasn't long ago when UMD was more like Team Canada.

wblsuperfan alumni

Post by wblsuperfan alumni » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:54 pm

i completely agree, love seeing minnesota kids on the team, but its frustrating when all the top local players are scooped up by the u of m

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:05 pm

wblsuperfan alumni wrote:i completely agree, love seeing minnesota kids on the team, but its frustrating when all the top local players are scooped up by the u of m
Who would you rather date, the hot girl or her ugly step sister? If you get the choice you go for the hot girl. If she's already taken you go out with the ugly one. You don't always get the hottest one, but the ugly one can be better than no one at all.