Zach Buddish

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

myhockey

Zach Buddish

Post by myhockey »

i heard he blew his knee out playing football....Any truth to this????
HuckFinn23

Post by HuckFinn23 »

Yes this is true, he tore his ACL on the opening kickoff of a football playoff game. Budish is out for a year and done with playing high school hockey.
We'll still get to see him for the gophers. Too bad he is hurt, he is a great kid who had a fantastic work ethic and was hands down the leader of the Hornets.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

HuckFinn23 wrote:Yes this is true, he tore his ACL on the opening kickoff of a football playoff game. Budish is out for a year and done with playing high school hockey.
We'll still get to see him for the gophers. Too bad he is hurt, he is a great kid who had a fantastic work ethic and was hands down the leader of the Hornets.
That's a shame!
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

Good news for any team that had any hope of maybe beating Edina this year.
BB
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Bash Brother wrote:Good news for any team that had any hope of maybe beating Edina this year.
That's a crappy thing to say! regardless of context.

If you ever met the kid or know anyone who has been around him, you'd know he's a stand up young man!

I don't care what team he plays for, he is a tremendous athlete, and good teammate, and friend to many, and I hope he has a speedy recovery and returns in full form.
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Bash Brother wrote:Good news for any team that had any hope of maybe beating Edina this year.
This guy is a maniac. How could ANYONE who played the game say such an ignorant thing about such a great kid. He's a special kid on many fronts.

Get well soon ...
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

MrBill wrote:
This guy is a maniac. How could ANYONE who played the game say such an ignorant thing about such a great kid. He's a special kid on many fronts.

Get well soon ...
I agree. He is a great kids and has always been a great leader of athletics in that community. It is too bad. I was looking forward to seeing him play this winter. Get well soon!!
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Regardless of what kind of kid he is what do you expect other teams to think? I'm sure there are a lot of kids out there that are real dissapointed they wont have the pleasure of getting physically dominated by Budish this year.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Reality Check wrote:Regardless of what kind of kid he is what do you expect other teams to think? I'm sure there are a lot of kids out there that are real dissapointed they wont have the pleasure of getting physically dominated by Budish this year.
I don't know any true athletes that don't want to challenge themselves against the best competition they can get within their circumstance.

Sounds kind of chickenship to me!

Unless I read that wrong :?
Its Reality

Post by Its Reality »

Thats really to bad..

My greatest wishes out to him and his family.

Get well soon!
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

No parent (or true fan of the game) ever wants to see a kid get hurt.

Budish is a great kid who has worked hard to get where he is and it is too bad that he won't be able to play his senior season. Hopefully he will heal in time to participate in some part of the season but, if not, I just hope that he has a complete recovery.

Thanks for all the great years of watching you play Budish! I look forward to seeing you back on the ice as soon as possible and wish you the best for a full recovery. You are a true leader and not only in Edina...
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Tough way to end your high school career, but props to the kid for playing football anyway. Too many kids concentrate on hockey only and I personally don't care for that. He will be sorely missed on a strong Edina team. I'm also hearing rumblings that Anders Lee is considering playing football in college instead of hockey and has his eyes set on the U of MN. That would sure be interesting. Best of luck to Buddish and can't wait to see him in a gopher jersey.
gunnerstahl

Post by gunnerstahl »

this is just my personal opinion, but i have a feeling that minnesotas mr. hockey just left the competition...
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

I agree - Zach is my Mr. Hockey. Whoever wins it this year should have a * next to thier name. I was looking forward to watching him play.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

hockeyboys wrote:I agree - Zach is my Mr. Hockey. Whoever wins it this year should have a * next to thier name. I was looking forward to watching him play.
That might be going a little far. We're not going to award an honary state title to Edina either just because most people thought they'd win.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Sparlimb wrote:
hockeyboys wrote:I agree - Zach is my Mr. Hockey. Whoever wins it this year should have a * next to thier name. I was looking forward to watching him play.
That might be going a little far. We're not going to award an honary state title to Edina either just because most people thought they'd win.

Agree with you. Certainly, the young man would have been a top candidate.

Also, I think it's great that he was a multi sport athlete. Playing multiple sports probably gave him the ingrediants to become the athlete he is. Hopefully, younger athletes and parents of young athletes will look to him as an example.

Good luck in your recovery Zach.
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

Yea - I know - a bit far. I've always hated Edina - but that group of kids - Budish, Everson, Lee - about the nicest group of kids you will run across.

I hope some don't use Zach's injury as an excuse not to play multiple sports. Because you are correct - one of the reasons he was so good was because of the athleticsm gained by playing multiple sports.

Good luch Zach - I know you will be back sooner than later.
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Reality Check wrote:Regardless of what kind of kid he is what do you expect other teams to think? I'm sure there are a lot of kids out there that are real dissapointed they wont have the pleasure of getting physically dominated by Budish this year.
As a hockey parent, I for one was looking forward to see how my son would handle someone like Budish. He was also looking forward to playing against him. Sad that someone of that caliber go down like that. Hopefully he has a complete and full recovery.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

What an unfortunate development. I was looking forward to watching this group from Edina this year, even if they are from Edina. :D

It'll be interesting to see what sort of implications this has on hockey this season. Edina still obviously has plenty of talent, but 2AA just got a bit closer, as did the top of the preseason rankings. It could have a huge impact on the course of this season, and one could now reasonably argue that the AA field is wide open.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

karl(east) wrote:What an unfortunate development. I was looking forward to watching this group from Edina this year, even if they are from Edina. :D

It'll be interesting to see what sort of implications this has on hockey this season. Edina still obviously has plenty of talent, but 2AA just got a bit closer, as did the top of the preseason rankings. It could have a huge impact on the course of this season, and one could now reasonably argue that the AA field is wide open.
I don't know about that, I still see Edina as clearly having the top talent level in Minnesota.
The U invented swagger.
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

Zach, if you read this consider this a bump in the road. You will recover and continue to live out your dreams and those dreams of others. Many have suffered injuries that have given them an even greater drive to greatness. Bret Hedian, NSP native SCSU grad and Stanley Cup winner w/Hurricanes credits the ARP Recovery Program with reviving his career. Many hockey players are using this system to recover and come back even stronger. Take a look the ARP Program.

Good Luck with your recovery, jusy consider it a nice rest before the WCHA season starts next year.

Burnsville, Minnesota
(Clinic & Corporate Offices)
Accelerated Recovery Performance Clinic 451 Cliff Rd E Burnsville, MN 55337-1663 Phone: 952-808-0988
Fax: 952-808-0986
Hours of Operation: 9 am — 5 pm, Monday — Friday.

TESTIMONIALS

. . . From Our Patients:

ARP Wave is the most remarkable rehabilitation and training program I have witnessed in my 25 years of professional hockey. It has done remarkable things for my clients.

Ryan Carter of the Anaheim Ducks broke his wrist and thumb. When he was taken out of the cast he had zero range of motion and zero strength and could not even turn the key to his car on. I was told he could not play until he had full range of motion and full strength which would likely take four weeks. After three days of treatments by Denis Thompson Ryan went back to Anaheim and practiced with the team the first day back. He was cleared to play later in the week.

Andrew Alberts of the Boston Bruins was out for three months and the team thought he was done for the year. Andrew was treated by Denis Thompson for three days and returned to Boston. He skated with the team for a week and then was cleared to play and finished the season and the playoffs with the Boston Bruins.

Casey Borer of the Carolina Hurricanes (Brooklyn Park native and SCSU and SSM grad) completely tore his MCL and had a 2/3 tear of the ACL. He was treated by Denis Thompson for three days prior to surgery to get all of the muscular inflammation out of the knee. The doctors repaired both ligaments on a Monday followed by Casey using the ARP each day on his muscles following surgery. Casey was on a bike for range of motion on the Thursday immediately following surgery which is absolutely remarkable. Casey is several months ahead of normal recovery for such an injury.

Neil Sheehy Former NHL Player Sports Attorney
Represents NHL Hockey Players

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had major reconstructive surgery.

I didn't get to use the ARP machine as much as I would have liked because I went to school in North Dakota. But one week after my operation, I used the ARP to rehab my knee muscles . I went into the therapy session on crutches and about scale 8 pain. I left the FIRST session walking on my own and muscle pain reduced to half. That was also the first great night of sleep I had since the injury occurred. The ARP machine helped my recovery and I would recommend it to anyone that has had the operation that I had. No doubt about it; it is far better than any other physical therapy out there.

P.S.: When I went back to my physical therapist to track my progression; and one of the PT's working had to look at my chart because she didn't believe I had had knee surgery at all because she had never seen that kind of muscle improvement in such a short period of time.

Nathan Reade, College Student, Torn ACL
Sioux Falls, SD
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

I have relatively no knowledge of ACL injuries.

Is there any chance of Budish being available in the playoffs?

Or is it too long of a recovery period?
BB
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

A Complete tear is a long recovery but it could be a partial, they on't know until MRI is done. Also could be more damage to cartilage that would ba a factor.

So in a sense yes it is possible for him to be back but would you risk it? He stayed at Edina and wants that HS trophy. What would you do? Lifetime Memory of risk your future?
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

Pucknutz69 wrote:A Complete tear is a long recovery but it could be a partial, they on't know until MRI is done. Also could be more damage to cartilage that would ba a factor.

So in a sense yes it is possible for him to be back but would you risk it? He stayed at Edina and wants that HS trophy. What would you do? Lifetime Memory of risk your future?
I agree it would be a very difficult decision. Either way he will recover and thats the important thing anyways.

How did the Edina football team do anyways?
BB
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

ACL tears

When Terrell Davis went down with a knee injury this past weekend, the Broncos and their fans just needed to hear just three letters to know that Davis, and perhaps Denver as well, were done for the season -- ACL: anterior cruciate ligament. A torn anterior cruciate ligament -- also known as "blowing out" a knee -- usually means at least a six-month sentence on the sidelines and weeks upon weeks of therapy.

Davis
But there's good news, too: Advances in surgical techniques have greatly lessened the trauma of the injury's repair and can very often restore the knee to its previous competitive condition. So what in the past might have proved a career-ending catastrophe can frequently be just an inconvenient layover. Dr. Tarek O. Souryal, former team physician for the Dallas Mavericks and a member of the Association of Professional Team Physicians (PTP), was involved in groundbreaking research during the late 1980s and early '90s that identified key predisposing factors in ACL tears. In this Q&A, he outlines the basics of the injury and its diagnosis and treatment.

What exactly is the ACL, and what role does it play in sports?

Dr. Souryal: The ACL is one of the four main ligaments in the knee and is the primary stabilizer. It's the smallest of the four, but it serves the most important function: It stabilizes the knee for rotational movement. When you cut to change direction, that's when the ACL comes into play. For most straightforward activities, such as jogging, the ACL isn't involved. The most common sports in which we see ACL tears include soccer, basketball, football, and tennis. Back in the old days, before we really understood the function of the ACL, having an ACL injury used to be called a "trick knee." The reason a knee without an intact ACL gives out occasionally is that it's lost that stabilizer, and although it does not give out every single time, you never know when it will and when it won't.

This injury is rampant. There are between 250,000 and 300,000 ACL injuries per year, and they're almost exclusively happening to athletes. The chances of a nonathlete suffering an ACL injury are 1,000 to 1.

How do ACL tears occur?

Dr. Souryal: The most common mechanism of injury is non-contact and caused by cutting. You're running along, you plant to change direction, and your knee buckles. The next most common is a contact injury such as being clipped from behind in football and hockey. A skier can also tear an ACL when the ski catches awkwardly in the snow or the carving of the ski twists the leg.

Are certain athletes predisposed to the injury?

Dr. Souryal: My study was the first to describe the link between bony anatomy and ACL tears and to describe the way of measuring it. We found that a certain segment of the population has a bone structure that predisposes them to an ACL tear. The ACL and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) live in a tunnel at the end of your thigh bone. If that tunnel is very narrow (which you can detect by X-ray), then there's no room for the ACL to maneuver in cutting activity, and those people are at 26 times more risk of tearing an ACL.

In 1992, we took X-rays of 1,000 high school athletes' knees and followed them for the next two years. Whenever a player went down with an ACL injury, we looked at his notch. And it was phenomenal: The kids who were blowing out their ACLs all had those narrow notches. We stopped the study early because the numbers were so dramatic. I'm sure that there are a lot of factors that go into ACL injuries -- the notch is just one of them -- and the biggest question right now is, what lives inside the narrow notch? Does a small ACL live in a narrow notch and tears because it's never had the room to grow properly? Or does a normal-sized ACL live in the small notch and ruptures because it doesn't have the room? We don't have answers because we're not doing surgery on uninjured people and measuring their ACLs.

As a next phase, we're waiting for MRIs to get a bit clearer to allow us to measure the normal ACLs in the notches. Maybe in the next couple of years, we'll be able to answer the question. If it is a normal-sized ACL in the notch, then maybe we can go in there surgically and widen the notch, and perhaps save that person from an ACL rupture. But if it's an underdeveloped ACL in that narrow notch, you can widen the notch all day long and you're not going to fix it. Once we get this question answered, maybe we can do something about people with the predisposition.

In '92, we found that girls have proportionally narrower notches than boys. Does that have anything to do with the fact that ACL injuries are epidemic among females? I don't know, but I certainly do think that it's one factor. Other factors have to do with muscle development and neuromuscular coordination, because the boys are encouraged to be active athletically almost from birth. They may develop better neuromuscular coordination and therefore are somewhat protected as they get into high school and college. Girls are not necessarily directed into athletics early in life, and as they become more athletically active in their teens, they may not have the neuromuscular coordination that boys have. The bottom line is that nobody knows for sure. But there's definitely a higher incidence of ACL ruptures in female athletes than in male athletes.

How is a torn ACL diagnosed?

ASSOCIATION OF PROFESSIONAL
TEAM PHYSICIANS

ASK THE PRO DOC
Q: I am a very active 32 year old who was diagnosed with an arthritic hip over a year ago. Over the last year, I have drastically changed my training activities. I have done some research into the subject but have found very little information regarding living a very active and relatively pain-free 30-something life. Any suggestions?
-- Nick Ranalli, Chicago, Ill.

A: From Dr. Henry Clarke, team physician for the New York Knicks:
"Arthritis of the hip in a young person is a difficult problem with no perfect solution. The choices for treatment include reducing activities to minimize the symptoms, medications such as Advil or prescription strength anti-inflammatory medications, osteotomy (cutting the bone) to realign the joint in order to relieve contact on the arthritic areas, or hip replacement which has a high likelihood of needing to be redone during your lifetime. The extent of the arthritis and the nature of your symptoms are important factors in determining which of these is the best solution. I recommend you see a hip specialist for a comprehensive evaluation."

Do you have a question for a team physician? Click here to ask. And check out more "Ask the Pro Doc" answers to users' questions.

Dr. Souryal: By medical history, examination, and nowadays MRI scans. History and examination in most cases are sufficient. MRI scans are only indicated when you really cannot quite distinquish whether it's torn or not. We fans have been programmed through following the NFL, NBA and other sports that when an athlete has an injury, he gets an MRI. In the case of ACL tears, it's nice to get an MRI, but it's not mandatory.

Lachman's test and the pivot shift test are used. Both are about 90 percent diagnostic. Lachman's test like a drawer test, but instead of the knee being bent 90 degrees, it's just slightly bent, and you attempt to pull the tibia forward with one hand while holding the thigh just above the knee with the other hand. If the ACL is intact, the tibia doesn't come forward. If the ACL is torn, it keeps coming. That test is very diagnostic and conclusive when performed by an expert.

How are ACL tears treated?

Dr. Souryal: The goal of treatment is to never let the knee go out of place again. When you tear your ACL, by definition the knee buckled. Every time that happens, it can do cartilage damage, which is bad from a long-term perspective. Cartilage is there to protect you from arthritis. If your knee is constantly giving out, you're slowly chewing away pieces of the cartilage, and that can led to early arthritis. If you can keep your knee from going out again by giving up cutting sports and wearing a brace, then you've accomplished your goal.

For most people, especially young athletic ones, the only way to achieve that goal is through surgery, which is almost exclusively arthroscopic these days. You substitute for the ACL with another structure. Forty years ago, surgeons made an attempt at repairing torn ACLs, but those attempts failed, because the ligament wouldn't hold a stitch. It looks very much like fiber-optic cable or the end of a mop when you cut it across. Repairs didn't do well, so the treatment evolved into substitution. The substitute is usually a portion of the patellar tendon, which is located right in front of the ACL. The patellar tendon spans from the tip of the kneecap to the tibia.

Back in the '50s, surgeons were taking a portion of that and substituting it for the ACL, but because they couldn't see inside the knee, they were not putting it in the correct spot. Back then, they were making these huge incisions, just so they could have access to that tunnel. They were just guessing where to put that substitute ligament, and the results were usually poor. The best cases were 60 percent success rate, which is why this injury was so catastrophic. Nowadays, with arthroscopy, you can see to the millimeter where to put the substitute; hence the results are about a 98 percent return to sports. It's a far more exact procedure now.

ACL surgery is extremely technical. A millimeter difference here or there can have a huge impact on the result. The procedure is something that needs to be performed by an experienced sports orthopedist -- someone who performs the surgery two or three times a week rather than two or three times a year, someone's who's familiar with the injury, its mechanism, and the demands when you return.

How long is it usually before the injured athlete can return to his sport?
Six months is the benchmark. Some physicians say nine; some say a year.

Can ACL tears be prevented?
Dr. Souryal: That's the $64,000 question. These injuries are so rampant. There's not a good way to prevent them. We can make some recommendations: Be sure you stretch before, during and after an activity, and get those hamstrings, quadriceps and muscle-tendon units flexible so they can absorb shock. Stregnth and endurance training is helpful. Most physicians recommend cross-training, because you not only develop the pure strength component but also the endurance component. That will help you in the fourth quarter of a basketball game or the second half of a soccer game. Use common sense: When you get extremely tired and your legs feel like lead pipes, that is not the time to attempt a 360 dunk. Muscles are wonderful shock absorbers. There's split-second timing that's required for a plant and a cut, and a jump and a landing, where the muscles can absorb that shock. When you're fatigued, that split-second timing is lost, and you don't necessarily have the quads strength to absorb the shock when you come down from a rebound.

Really, at this point, that sort of advice is all we have. There are no braces that are preventive. There are proprioceptive exercises that most colleges and pro teams have their players do. At the recreational level, these exercises aren't normally taught.

What's the prognosis for an athlete with an ACL tear?

This used to be a devastating injury. When an ACL tears, it does not heal. Unlike most other ligaments, the ACL never has the opportunity to mend due to its position and role in the knee -- it's very much like a rubber band. That's why this is a forever kind of injury. It used to end athletic participation both on the professional and recreational level. Now with arthroscopic surgery and proper strengthening and rehabilitation techniques, the future is much brighter. National results show a 96 to 98 percent return to sport. Recovery still takes six months and is economically demanding and involves an operation, but it's no longer career-ending.