Section 6A preseason predictions

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hippo crit
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 am

Section 6A preseason predictions

Post by hippo crit » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:31 am

The teams of SECTION 6A:

Alexandria, Benson/Morris, Detroit Lakes, Fergus Falls, Little Falls, Prairie Centre, Sartell, St. Cloud Apollo, Wadena.

Who do you think will be headed to state in March??

Can't Never Tried
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 am

Of Course it's Little Falls :D They're good this year!

hippo crit
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 am

Post by hippo crit » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:41 am

Can't Never Tried wrote:Of Course it's Little Falls :D They're good this year!
Yes but without Festler and Beau they don't have the full force..
Ben is a great player and they have a couple solid D, but the goalie is weak. I think alec will take it from that section this year.

bigcarl
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 9:35 am

Post by bigcarl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:44 am

Little Falls has ben hanowski, there goalie is crap he only looked good the past 2 years cause of festler and beau. The team to beat this year from section is gonna be alexandria.

hippo crit
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 am

Post by hippo crit » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 am

bigcarl wrote:Little Falls has ben hanowski, there goalie is crap he only looked good the past 2 years cause of festler and beau. The team to beat this year from section is gonna be alexandria.
Is there an echo in the room? WHAT, can somebody else please say that too? I don't think we get the picture here..

dherman8
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Post by dherman8 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:34 pm

bigcarl wrote:Little Falls has ben hanowski, there goalie is crap he only looked good the past 2 years cause of festler and beau. The team to beat this year from section is gonna be alexandria.
Everyone on this "bored" knows my feelings about this section and LF. To have the audacity to say that Festler and Beau made Sperl look good is ridiculous. I like the kid but two years ago he was plain awful when he had Festler, Beau, and Ben. Last year he looked like a totally different goaltender compared to his early years. Do you guys watch hockey? Last year at state against STA he stopped a few odd man breaks that would've ended the game much earlier but he stepped up. (go back and watch the game) It looked like he was doing some jaw jacking in the section final against Alexandria last year and he looked much more aggressive and confident. I don't want to be a homer but he is going to be mentioned with Alexandria's Hemingway, who didn't impress me a ton when I saw him last year. Ben and Sperl will lead the way back to the X.

George Blanda
Posts: 1442
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: St. Schmo

Post by George Blanda » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm

dherman8 wrote:I don't want to be a homer but he is going to be mentioned with Alexandria's Hemingway, who didn't impress me a ton when I saw him last year. Ben and Sperl will lead the way back to the X.
No, he's not going to get mentioned with Hemingway. He's not as good as Hemingway and never will be. That said, he's a much improved goalie.

On top of that, Ben is one of the best players in the state...an 'A' list prospect. No other team in the section has that...not even close. If LF can put a solid group around Hanowski, and Sperl plays solid (not even exceptional), they'll be my team to go to state.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey

Can't Never Tried
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:23 pm

George Blanda wrote:
dherman8 wrote:I don't want to be a homer but he is going to be mentioned with Alexandria's Hemingway, who didn't impress me a ton when I saw him last year. Ben and Sperl will lead the way back to the X.
No, he's not going to get mentioned with Hemingway. He's not as good as Hemingway and never will be. That said, he's a much improved goalie.

On top of that, Ben is one of the best players in the state...an 'A' list prospect. No other team in the section has that...not even close. If LF can put a solid group around Hanowski, and Sperl plays solid (not even exceptional), they'll be my team to go to state.
See I told you guys LF would be good!!.......and GB knows his stuff :D

gaborik
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:16 am

Post by gaborik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 pm

im going to say Alex will win this year. they have a talented team all around
FF would normally be mentioned but they lost around 14 seniors last year its going to be a rebuilding year for them.

GopherPuckPlayer
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:09 pm
Location: Little Falls

Post by GopherPuckPlayer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:25 pm

hippo crit wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:Of Course it's Little Falls :D They're good this year!
Yes but without Festler and Beau they don't have the full force..
Ben is a great player and they have a couple solid D, but the goalie is weak. I think alec will take it from that section this year.
They didn't have Festler last year, Beau was a great player, and I would disagree with the weak goalie, I think he will be much more improved from last year, and well the D can only get better. But we will see what the future of the season has in hold for the Flyers :wink:
Red ice sells hockey tickets.

defense
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

6a

Post by defense » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I would be interested in what Detroit Lakes does, they have been quiet for awhile.....Alex and Little Falls would look to be favorites but Fergus could surprise.....

ap4mvp
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: Snowmobiling

Post by ap4mvp » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 am

George Blanda wrote:
dherman8 wrote:I don't want to be a homer but he is going to be mentioned with Alexandria's Hemingway, who didn't impress me a ton when I saw him last year. Ben and Sperl will lead the way back to the X.
No, he's not going to get mentioned with Hemingway. He's not as good as Hemingway and never will be. That said, he's a much improved goalie.

On top of that, Ben is one of the best players in the state...an 'A' list prospect. No other team in the section has that...not even close. If LF can put a solid group around Hanowski, and Sperl plays solid (not even exceptional), they'll be my team to go to state.
BA is right :o Sperl shouldn't be mention with Hemingway :!: But who knows maybe Sperl will surprise some people this year :?
If you only knew the power of the dark side!

dherman8
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Post by dherman8 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:15 am

ap4mvp wrote:
George Blanda wrote:
dherman8 wrote:I don't want to be a homer but he is going to be mentioned with Alexandria's Hemingway, who didn't impress me a ton when I saw him last year. Ben and Sperl will lead the way back to the X.
No, he's not going to get mentioned with Hemingway. He's not as good as Hemingway and never will be. That said, he's a much improved goalie.

On top of that, Ben is one of the best players in the state...an 'A' list prospect. No other team in the section has that...not even close. If LF can put a solid group around Hanowski, and Sperl plays solid (not even exceptional), they'll be my team to go to state.
BA is right :o Sperl shouldn't be mention with Hemingway :!: But who knows maybe Sperl will surprise some people this year :?
I agree Hemingway and Sperl can't be mentioned together right now but if Sperl improves as much as he did from two years ago to last year, there wouldn't be much of a difference. Last year I don't think he had one of those 6 or 7 goal games like a couple years ago and last year they played teams like Cathedral, Brainerd, Lourdes, STA, Mankato West, and Blake.

darkdemon
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:29 am
Location: Ice Fishing

Post by darkdemon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:20 pm

I'm still disappointed with Little Falls' schedule where are the great teams on their schedule like STA, Warroad or Duluth Marshall. I understand that its tough to schedule these teams but over the past two years they have thought they have been screwed in seedings. Same crap different year LF will take the section get "screwed" in the seedings and give the best team in the tournament the best game on Wednesday. I wish the administration in Little Falls would wake up but after all they are too focused on suspending kids or finding something wrong with the kids rather than developing their athletics. Whatever

Prediction LF over Alex once again. Bet on it :D
The DEMON

defense
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

schedule

Post by defense » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:44 am

Little Falls could probably add some stronger games, such as a better holiday tournement or other non conference games. However lets not forget that they do play in the Central Lakes Conference. The last few years have been tough for the CLC but any year now it could be a very tough conference, with Little Falls emergance as a threat and the probable surge of Sartell in time.
Little Falls does not get respect in the seedings because they are Little Falls, not Warroad, STA, St. Louis Park........get my drift. It would be no different if any team out of this section goes to state with a great record. If Little Falls were from the Twin Cities it would be a different story. Year in and year out watching the Lets Play Hockey polls is laughable, most of the pollsters in LPH polls have to be from the metro. I know that that poll is not used directly for the state tournement, but it is the exposure that it creates that matters.

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: schedule

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 pm

defense wrote:Little Falls could probably add some stronger games, such as a better holiday tournement or other non conference games. However lets not forget that they do play in the Central Lakes Conference. The last few years have been tough for the CLC but any year now it could be a very tough conference, with Little Falls emergance as a threat and the probable surge of Sartell in time.
Little Falls does not get respect in the seedings because they are Little Falls, not Warroad, STA, St. Louis Park........get my drift. It would be no different if any team out of this section goes to state with a great record. If Little Falls were from the Twin Cities it would be a different story. Year in and year out watching the Lets Play Hockey polls is laughable, most of the pollsters in LPH polls have to be from the metro. I know that that poll is not used directly for the state tournement, but it is the exposure that it creates that matters.
First of all when has St. Louis Park ever been ranked or seeded anywhere?

My personal opinion (and I know there are plenty of people that disagree with me) is that if they were playing top tier A teams, like the ones from the metro, game in and game out they wouldn't have such a stellar record and they would not be making it to the state tournament. Sure they gave STA all they could handle at state last year but that was one game. I don't think they could play like that consistently. The reason that they're not ranked as high as you think they should be in the LPH polls is because they simply aren't as good as the teams in the metro. IMO
The U invented swagger.

defense
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Tournement

Post by defense » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm

I'll bet there is at least one LPH poll when St. Louis Park was in it, but that wasn't the point....the point was if St. Louis Park has a great year, they are a shoe into that poll, teams from places other than the Twin Cities or traditional hockey powers are at big disadvantage...in other words this poll is very biased. If a team is having a great year and is in fact a strong team, but they happen to be from Little Falls, or Detroit Lakes etc... it takes a lot longer for this poll to recognize them. This poll is pretty much the poll accepted by anyone in Minnesota hockey and is seen all over the state. That is called exposure......tell me not that seeing a team in the top ten of that poll for half or more of the season does not bias you to think that they are in fact a good team(mostly they are) ..even if you didn't see them play and know nothing else of them. The real point is: polling is never good, and not even close to perfect, even if it is the coaches and especially when it is used to seed such a high level tournement.

High_Plains_Dangler
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:33 pm
Location: The Great Plains

6A Predictions

Post by High_Plains_Dangler » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:47 pm

With Hanowski coming back, Little Falls will win the section.... no doubt

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Tournement

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

defense wrote:I'll bet there is at least one LPH poll when St. Louis Park was in it, but that wasn't the point....the point was if St. Louis Park has a great year, they are a shoe into that poll, teams from places other than the Twin Cities or traditional hockey powers are at big disadvantage...in other words this poll is very biased. If a team is having a great year and is in fact a strong team, but they happen to be from Little Falls, or Detroit Lakes etc... it takes a lot longer for this poll to recognize them. This poll is pretty much the poll accepted by anyone in Minnesota hockey and is seen all over the state. That is called exposure......tell me not that seeing a team in the top ten of that poll for half or more of the season does not bias you to think that they are in fact a good team(mostly they are) ..even if you didn't see them play and know nothing else of them. The real point is: polling is never good, and not even close to perfect, even if it is the coaches and especially when it is used to seed such a high level tournement.
Little Falls was in the top ten in that poll almost all of last season.
The U invented swagger.

defense
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Tournement

Post by defense » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
defense wrote:I'll bet there is at least one LPH poll when St. Louis Park was in it, but that wasn't the point....the point was if St. Louis Park has a great year, they are a shoe into that poll, teams from places other than the Twin Cities or traditional hockey powers are at big disadvantage...in other words this poll is very biased. If a team is having a great year and is in fact a strong team, but they happen to be from Little Falls, or Detroit Lakes etc... it takes a lot longer for this poll to recognize them. This poll is pretty much the poll accepted by anyone in Minnesota hockey and is seen all over the state. That is called exposure......tell me not that seeing a team in the top ten of that poll for half or more of the season does not bias you to think that they are in fact a good team(mostly they are) ..even if you didn't see them play and know nothing else of them. The real point is: polling is never good, and not even close to perfect, even if it is the coaches and especially when it is used to seed such a high level tournement.
Little Falls was in the top ten in that poll almost all of last season.

Obviously my point is nullified then.............. :roll:

Fireman66
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:39 pm
Location: Fighting the Flamer

Post by Fireman66 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:31 am

This year the favorite is Fergus Falls and they will win this section and go on to place first in the state tournament :!: One team that scares me is those Eagles from St. Cloud Apollo. Just imagine how good they could be if they teach all those Somalians to skate :lol:


SECTION 6A FINALS!

FERGUS FALLS 4
ST. CLOUD APOLLO 3 (in ot)

F :D
Lots of water = a dead flamer

bigcarl
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 9:35 am

Post by bigcarl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 am

I really hope fergus goes this year. LF is a sell out town.

AngusYoung
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:06 pm

Post by AngusYoung » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:00 am

There's that stupid gopher again dissing the Flyers and we all know what team the Flamer hates and who he roots for. The Flyers return quite a bit of talent from last year, but did lose Beau Hanowski to graduation and that Sylvester kid transferred to Warroad. Shoud be their section to win as long as Hanowski stays healthy. BTW - he should break the MN HS hockey scoring record this year if he has a year on par with his two previous. Look for Couture and his team to represent @ the X again.

AY 8)

bruce06
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Post by bruce06 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:35 am

Little Falls does return some talent. However Alex returns basically everyone. Including what many people consider the top goalie in the state. There is no question that it will be between little falls and alex. I dont think any other teams are quite on the same level. Little Falls is good but very top heavy, Alex is good with alot of balance. Should be a fun year

Can't Never Tried
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Rarely happens.... but I agree with Angus LF will win it, they're just to good this year! :D

Post Reply