Marshall of Mahtomedi commits to the U

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Post by breakout »

Gopher Blog wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:Cade needs some help based on what I have seen thus far this season...
Fairchild is a +6 on the season, has yet to be on the ice when an opponent scores an even strength goal (and has only been out there for one goal against in general), and is averaging a point per game.

By most rational points of view, he is playing very well. You must be watching the wrong guy. :roll:
I thought Fairchild played very well last weekend. Looks like he improved over last year.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

GR3343 wrote:Not sure who put you in charge of defending the Gophers on an opinion board.
Nobody did. However, if I see a remark that seems rather flawed and not backed up with much tangible evidence, it is worth poking holes in.

Nobody said you couldn't be entitled to an opinion. All my remarks are meant to do is show how such an opinion can easily be discounted. Particularly if you look at the numbers and have some sense of balance on how a guy is supposed to be performing.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Neutron 14 wrote:6 games into his Soph season, the boys from da nort go after Cade?
Well, you see, there's "da nort" and then there's "da East". Different rules apply. If he was from da rapids, they'd be proposing a street be named after him. :D

Either way, I don't much care. He's a Gopher.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

why don't you guys head over to www.gopherpuck.blogspot.com

and continue your dialogue over there
BigD93

Post by BigD93 »

Ben Marshall is by far the best sophmore in the state (not to discredit others) but he deserves everything he earns.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

Congrats to Mr. Marshall,having watched him play with and against my son several times over the years i can honestly say he has all the skills to take him to the next level,very smart with a great sense of the game,great great hands with awesome speed and unbelieveable agility. Not afraid to muck it up either. I/we wish him all the best in his quest :D :D
Last edited by MnPride2 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its Reality

Post by Its Reality »

Congrats to Mr. Marshall!

I'm excited to see him play in the maroon and gold sweater soon.
major4

Post by major4 »

congratulations to a great young player, the gophers are getting a talented defenseman
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

best feet his age without question, kid is electric....the rest is between the ears. has a chance to be very special.
my2cents

B Marshall

Post by my2cents »

I last seen him in some summer play a year ago. Terrific young talent. Speed, agility, hands, and an uncanny ability to finish.

How big is he these days?
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
GR3343 wrote:Not sure who put you in charge of defending the Gophers on an opinion board.
Nobody did. However, if I see a remark that seems rather flawed and not backed up with much tangible evidence, it is worth poking holes in.

Nobody said you couldn't be entitled to an opinion. All my remarks are meant to do is show how such an opinion can easily be discounted. Particularly if you look at the numbers and have some sense of balance on how a guy is supposed to be performing.

You're right, pointless having a discussion when my opinon couldn't possibly hold water. Especially with a factual genious like yourself poking holes. A thousand pardons.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

east hockey wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:6 games into his Soph season, the boys from da nort go after Cade?
Well, you see, there's "da nort" and then there's "da East". Different rules apply. If he was from da rapids, they'd be proposing a street be named after him. :D

Either way, I don't much care. He's a Gopher.

Lee
Not this year, not enough left in the budget.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

there was a reference to perhaps leaving mahtomedi (for a private school) in order to play a more difficult schedule.

Mahtomedi plays in the classic suburban conf. along with Hill, STA., Tartan, & ssp. As a sophomore at Mahtomedi - probably not a bad place to be
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

RushnCircles wrote:there was a reference to perhaps leaving mahtomedi (for a private school) in order to play a more difficult schedule.

Mahtomedi plays in the classic suburban conf. along with Hill, STA., Tartan, & ssp. As a sophomore at Mahtomedi - probably not a bad place to be
Where would he go? AHA?? :lol:

There are tougher conferences, but I don't know of a tougher one that has a private in it.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Gopher Blog wrote:An “honest opinion? Well, maybe that is YOUR honest opinion but that hardly makes it factual in reality. As far as how "many see it", I have seen quite the opposite. So I guess unless you are out taking some scientific poll, I am not sure I buy that (likely) hyperbole.

The stats don’t back up your remarks and neither does the coaching staff’s analysis (and they break down every game. Something I doubt you do). So I guess I’ll trust the staff and the numbers. Something tells me those are more reliable things to take into consideration when compared to the casual fan opinion.

As for Ness, I have no stake in that argument. No doubt he (and his d-man partner RJ Anderson) have not played well thus far (in terms of defensive zone play). They each have a team worst +/- rating and there have been too many gaffes. They need to pick it up as a pairing. I have no argument with that.
Guys, I was just stating my opinion from watching the games this year, and I have been to three, which is not all, but I have watch the others on the tube.
The defense has struggled in their own end, early in the season. All the D have struggled on the PP so far, yes so far... Cade and Aaron included. Plus/Minus can be misleading this early in the season, as Cade may have had the furtune of being on the ice w/ Stoa's line a majority of the time at full strength.
Will both of these players get better? Yes. Do I want them to get better? Absolutely! Do I want the Gophers to succeed? More than anything.

We all have opinions. Gopher Blog, you must realize that not all will share your view.

I was deer hunting this weekend, and did not get a chance to see any college hockey, but heard that Cade had a good weekend, and that is fantastic!

We can discuss this on the College forum through the season.
Just sharing my opinions...