Older Topics, Not the current discussion
southernmnscout

Marshall of Mahtomedi commits to the U

Post by southernmnscout » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 am

Another good recruit for the gophers!

flatontheice

Re: Marshall of Mahtomedi commits to the U

Post by flatontheice » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:50 am

southernmnscout wrote:Another good recruit for the gophers!
Congrats to Ben! Plays alot like Ness.

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 am

Now if only he would transfer to HM for his final years...
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

sachishi4 wrote:Now if only he would transfer to HM for his final years...

:roll:
BB

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:45 am

sachishi4 wrote:Now if only he would transfer to HM for his final years...
Hopefully he's not that dumb. More than likely it would be the N.D.T.P. or the USHL.

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:51 am

Or maybe STA or AHA :?:

:idea:

:roll:
BB

icedad

Post by icedad » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:55 pm

flatontheice wrote: Congrats to Ben! Plays alot like Ness.
Much more offensive than Ness. CRAFTY !!!

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:21 pm

icedad wrote:
flatontheice wrote: Congrats to Ben! Plays alot like Ness.
Much more offensive than Ness. CRAFTY !!!
????? lets simmer down now.

Sguse07

Post by Sguse07 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Ben is my first cousin and id like congratulate him on accomplishing his main goal of getting college paid for!!!

Sguse07

Post by Sguse07 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:44 pm

I actually cant be more proud of this kid. He just got back playing for the US U-17 national team in Slovakia. And now he's a golden gopher. Amazing!! And to think this kid just turned 16. Cant wait to see the future.

scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:33 am

Congrats, he should be great player for the Gophers and follow in the long line of offensive defenseman, Ballard, Leopold, Harrington, Fairchild, hopefully Ness...

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:43 am

scoreboard33 wrote:Congrats, he should be great player for the Gophers and follow in the long line of offensive defenseman, Ballard, Leopold, Harrington, Fairchild, hopefully Ness...
Whoa Nelly...

Fairchild is struggling right now, as is Mr. Ness... This is a great need for the Gophers, as they have really struggled on the PP this year, w/ nobody stepping up on D...

Ness & Lofquist are kids, so time will tell, but Cade needs some help based on what I have seen thus far this season...

I am looking forward to seeing more of this Marshall kid; haven't seen Mahtomedi much...

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 am

he is another one of those kids that looks really good in the open ice but hates contact. First you have to catch him. At least Ness doesn't back away from the physical side of the game. I would say Fairchild is having a better season so far, then last year. He is on the ice more but I think he is doing a pretty good job.

Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:44 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:
scoreboard33 wrote:Congrats, he should be great player for the Gophers and follow in the long line of offensive defenseman, Ballard, Leopold, Harrington, Fairchild, hopefully Ness...
Whoa Nelly...

Fairchild is struggling right now, as is Mr. Ness... This is a great need for the Gophers, as they have really struggled on the PP this year, w/ nobody stepping up on D...

Ness & Lofquist are kids, so time will tell, but Cade needs some help based on what I have seen thus far this season...

I am looking forward to seeing more of this Marshall kid; haven't seen Mahtomedi much...
DManDad I find you to be the most critical person of Gopher players.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:Cade needs some help based on what I have seen thus far this season...
Fairchild is a +6 on the season, has yet to be on the ice when an opponent scores an even strength goal (and has only been out there for one goal against in general), and is averaging a point per game.

By most rational points of view, he is playing very well. You must be watching the wrong guy. :roll:
Last edited by Gopher Blog on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Papa Bergundy wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:
Whoa Nelly...

DManDad I find you to be the most critical person of Gopher players.
Critical? Maybe. Honest and accurate? Probably.
Character is who you are when no one is watching

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm

GR3343 wrote:Critical? Maybe. Honest and accurate? Probably.
Honest and accurate? LOL! Not in this case.

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:Cade needs some help based on what I have seen thus far this season...
Fairchild is a +6 on the season, has yet to be on the ice when an opponent scores an even strength goal (and has only been out there for one goal against in general), and is averaging a point per game.

By most rational points of view, he is playing very well. You must be watching the wrong guy. :roll:
I guess it could be concluded that Dmandad is irrational
BB

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
GR3343 wrote:Critical? Maybe. Honest and accurate? Probably.
Honest and accurate? LOL! Not in this case.
Honest in the fact that he's being truthful about his opinion. Accurate in the fact that so far, Ness has demonstrated great skills, but not enough strength to handle the big boys of the WCHA thus far. Will he get better? Absolutely. While Fairchild may be a plus 6, he also has coughed the puck up at key moments and had his bacon saved by his partner or a forward. He's not playing up to the level we all heard he would when he came to the Gophs. Like it or not, those are honest opinions. Sorry, that's the way many see it. No one is saying they won't get better or don't have the upside to improve so maybe just take the comments for what they're worth.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 pm

An “honest opinion? Well, maybe that is YOUR honest opinion but that hardly makes it factual in reality. As far as how "many see it", I have seen quite the opposite. So I guess unless you are out taking some scientific poll, I am not sure I buy that (likely) hyperbole.

The stats don’t back up your remarks and neither does the coaching staff’s analysis (and they break down every game. Something I doubt you do). So I guess I’ll trust the staff and the numbers. Something tells me those are more reliable things to take into consideration when compared to the casual fan opinion.

As for Ness, I have no stake in that argument. No doubt he (and his d-man partner RJ Anderson) have not played well thus far (in terms of defensive zone play). They each have a team worst +/- rating and there have been too many gaffes. They need to pick it up as a pairing. I have no argument with that.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:15 pm

6 games into his Soph season, the boys from da nort go after Cade?

He hasn't been the greatest but sheesh!

A lot of players haven't looked the greatest, PW included.

Whats Flynns role now that you can't breathe on anybody?

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:6 games into his Soph season, the boys from da nort go after Cade?

He hasn't been the greatest but sheesh!

A lot of players haven't looked the greatest, PW included.

Whats Flynns role now that you can't breathe on anybody?
If you really wanted to i suppose you could criticize every player with the possible exceptions of Kangas and Stoa.

I guess flynn just becomes a " do what ya can" type of player.
BB

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 pm

So anyways guys tell me more about this Marshall kid.

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:23 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:So anyways guys tell me more about this Marshall kid.
And he cleverly gets the thread back on topic... =D>
BB

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:An “honest opinion? Well, maybe that is YOUR honest opinion but that hardly makes it factual in reality. As far as how "many see it", I have seen quite the opposite. So I guess unless you are out taking some scientific poll, I am not sure I buy that (likely) hyperbole.

The stats don’t back up your remarks and neither does the coaching staff’s analysis (and they break down every game. Something I doubt you do). So I guess I’ll trust the staff and the numbers. Something tells me those are more reliable things to take into consideration when compared to the casual fan opinion.

As for Ness, I have no stake in that argument. No doubt he (and his d-man partner RJ Anderson) have not played well thus far (in terms of defensive zone play). They each have a team worst +/- rating and there have been too many gaffes. They need to pick it up as a pairing. I have no argument with that.
So what you're saying is that if you don't or think others don't agree, don't bother saying anything? Not sure who put you in charge of defending the Gophers on an opinion board. As for the other comment about PW, check the college board and you'll see that in my humble opinion that I didn't think he was playing all that well either. By the way, no one was crucifying any of the mentioned players, just opining that they hadn't been all they were bragged up to be.

As for Mr. Marshall, congratulations and good luck. I've never seen him play, but have heard and read a lot about him. Good luck.