Cretin Derham 08-09

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

cyclonesniper11
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Cretin Derham 08-09

Post by cyclonesniper11 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:32 pm

How good should cretin be this year? Does anyone think they have a chance to make it out of the section after last years poor showing?

Don Imus
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Post by Don Imus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:10 am

No chance. Theyll also have a lot of trouble in the conference with Woodbury and White Bear looking strong.

saintpaulhockey
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Post by saintpaulhockey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 am

CDH will make it to state if unproven goalie Ben Walsh performs well. That, however, is a big "if." Defenseman Mark Alt will be the best player in the conference, but the offense will have trouble scoring. Bangs and Zimmerman need to really pick up their performances; Zimmerman has the potential to score 25+ goals. All things considered, I think CDH, like the rest of the SEC and members of the section, is unproven. 35% chance of making state.

komada77
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by komada77 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 pm

They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Now that Packerboy has moved on I feel it is my duty to step in and be the voice of all things holy....just kidding.

But I do think we'll be seeing CDH at the X come tourney time. They're nothing flashy but they appear to be solid up and down the line up. If they can catch some goaltending they should be fine.
The U invented swagger.

BodyShots
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:53 pm

komada77 wrote:They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Thats enough Wes Jr. :roll:

Orty
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Post by Orty » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 pm

CDH will be middle of the pack or terrible.

Orty

Goose19
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Post by Goose19 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:18 pm

they'll be good but it all depends on who steps up. they got talent they just need to put it together. It will be down to CDH, eastview, woodbury. All unproven

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Orty wrote:CDH will be middle of the pack or terrible.

Orty
Any reasoning behind that?
The U invented swagger.

mch
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Post by mch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:55 pm

cdh should be decent. they lost 10 seniors and bohrer had 40% of their goals last year. they have several talented jv players coming up. zimmerman, bangs, and alt will need to lead this team.

Orty
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Post by Orty » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Orty wrote:CDH will be middle of the pack or terrible.

Orty
Any reasoning behind that?
Woodbury, lack of senior leadership, transition of jv talent, White Bear, and questionable goaltending to name a few - IMO.

Orty

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Orty wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Orty wrote:CDH will be middle of the pack or terrible.

Orty
Any reasoning behind that?
Woodbury, lack of senior leadership, transition of jv talent, White Bear, and questionable goaltending to name a few - IMO.

Orty
Noted.

When March comes around I'll ask you if you still want to stick with the "terrible" prediction.
The U invented swagger.

RBK26
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:50 pm

Post by RBK26 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:09 pm

of those 10 seniors only about 5 played so they will be fine they got a good returning core and good new guys. they should see state if they come together. Zimmerman, alt and bangs will have to be huge this year

komada77
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by komada77 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:53 pm

BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Thats enough Wes Jr. :roll:
Are you saying you disagree?
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!

BodyShots
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:47 am

komada77 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Thats enough Wes Jr. :roll:
Are you saying you disagree?
What makes him the best coach in the state? That's a pretty bold statement to place on somebody who has never won it all.

mngopherfan
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 am

Post by mngopherfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 am

Is CDH planning on plucking any kids from the Highland Central bantam A team? I saw them play, they have some kids that can move the puck.

Night Train
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Post by Night Train » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 am

That's funny. You must be a kid and you must know something. Minor detail, do they attend Cretin? That would be the first question. Are you suggesting varsity 9th graders?

mngopherfan
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 am

Post by mngopherfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm

Night Train wrote:That's funny. You must be a kid and you must know something. Minor detail, do they attend Cretin? That would be the first question. Are you suggesting varsity 9th graders?
You're funny. You must be a kid. I actually know that CDH takes kids from assn hockey to fill out their JV teams. I think its pretty standard if they attend CDH that they play at least JV as 9th graders...

Night Train
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Post by Night Train » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 pm

I was suggesting you know specific kids as some of the players also attend STA, SPA, Minnehaha, Highland, Como and Central High Schools.

Skip Bantam A to play JV? That's pretty unusual as there isn't much debate about which is better for the player developmentally. 40 games, District Playoffs, 4 tournaments vs. 20 games against mostly weak opponents? The general rule is, unless the player is a top 6 forward or top 4 D and on varsity, finish what you started and play Bantam A. There's still 3 years of high school hockey but you'll never get that final year of Bantam A hockey back. I think several more players would reflect back saying they wished they had played with their buds for a final year as opposed to pushing, and rushing, a not fruitful, personally gratifying, high school season.

I've done a lot of coaching and frankly it's not the skill as I see a lot of skilled younger players. Maybe even skilled enough to play varsity. But, what's missing is the mental piece, and leadership, that develops by leading your team mates as a Bantam A player. It would be extremely rare for a 9th grader to be a leader on a varsity team. What I'm saying, and it's very important, is that I see a lot of skill out there but several players, at all levels, are having difficulty being true leaders of their teams. Leadership is learned through the experience of being one. There's way more to be gained, in my opinion, by picking up your Bantam A team mates, being a true leader of a Bantam A team, and gaining the knowledge and experience of what a true team leader does.

Let me see, finish what you started (don't be a quitter, that's a weakness and not showing leadership) or ride pine?

mngopherfan
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 am

Post by mngopherfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Night Train wrote:I was suggesting you know specific kids as some of the players also attend STA, SPA, Minnehaha, Highland, Como and Central High Schools.

Skip Bantam A to play JV? That's pretty unusual as there isn't much debate about which is better for the player developmentally. 40 games, District Playoffs, 4 tournaments vs. 20 games against mostly weak opponents? The general rule is, unless the player is a top 6 forward or top 4 D and on varsity, finish what you started and play Bantam A. There's still 3 years of high school hockey but you'll never get that final year of Bantam A hockey back. I think several more players would reflect back saying they wished they had played with their buds for a final year as opposed to pushing, and rushing, a not fruitful, personally gratifying, high school season.

I've done a lot of coaching and frankly it's not the skill as I see a lot of skilled younger players. Maybe even skilled enough to play varsity. But, what's missing is the mental piece, and leadership, that develops by leading your team mates as a Bantam A player. It would be extremely rare for a 9th grader to be a leader on a varsity team. What I'm saying, and it's very important, is that I see a lot of skill out there but several players, at all levels, are having difficulty being true leaders of their teams. Leadership is learned through the experience of being one. There's way more to be gained, in my opinion, by picking up your Bantam A team mates, being a true leader of a Bantam A team, and gaining the knowledge and experience of what a true team leader does.

Let me see, finish what you started (don't be a quitter, that's a weakness and not showing leadership) or ride pine?
I agree 100% with what you say. Wish the kids would understand the benifits of developing leadership.

With regards to CDH or Highland. I know the past couple years they lose players to private schools. I imagine the kids want to play with who they go to school with, not just who is in their assn. Also, private schools may struggle to fill out entire jv rosters...again i am not sure if anyone from Highland will leave but i know history suggest something else.

CDHHockey
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by CDHHockey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Mike McMahon and Luke Dietsh will probably both make JV from highland's team this year. I would be surprised if they took any other highland kids though.

komada77
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by komada77 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:30 pm

BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Thats enough Wes Jr. :roll:
Are you saying you disagree?
What makes him the best coach in the state? That's a pretty bold statement to place on somebody who has never won it all.
In 31 years of existence, Woodbury never went to state in boy's hockey, nor did they ever win a conference championship. The 2008-09 season will be Bolin's fifth (???) at Woodbury and they have now gone to state twice under him and won a conference championship under him. They also beat the defending state champs and favorites to repeat (CDH) in 2006, so don't tell me its because they all of a sudden had more talent than everybody else. That's just really good coaching.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!

BodyShots
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:02 pm

komada77 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Thats enough Wes Jr. :roll:
Are you saying you disagree?
What makes him the best coach in the state? That's a pretty bold statement to place on somebody who has never won it all.
In 31 years of existence, Woodbury never went to state in boy's hockey, nor did they ever win a conference championship. The 2008-09 season will be Bolin's fifth (???) at Woodbury and they have now gone to state twice under him and won a conference championship under him. They also beat the defending state champs and favorites to repeat (CDH) in 2006, so don't tell me its because they all of a sudden had more talent than everybody else. That's just really good coaching.
Gee, do you think their community and hockey association are growing by leaps and bounds! Let me think, aren't they adding another high school because they outgrew the current one! We will see how good they are this year! If Woodbury wins the SEC, then I will tip my hat to you and Wes.

komada77
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by komada77 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 pm

BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
komada77 wrote:They'll be alright-not great, not awful. Section winner will be either CDH or Woodbury, and I give Woodbury the edge because they have the best coach in the state.
Thats enough Wes Jr. :roll:
Are you saying you disagree?
What makes him the best coach in the state? That's a pretty bold statement to place on somebody who has never won it all.
In 31 years of existence, Woodbury never went to state in boy's hockey, nor did they ever win a conference championship. The 2008-09 season will be Bolin's fifth (???) at Woodbury and they have now gone to state twice under him and won a conference championship under him. They also beat the defending state champs and favorites to repeat (CDH) in 2006, so don't tell me its because they all of a sudden had more talent than everybody else. That's just really good coaching.
Gee, do you think their community and hockey association are growing by leaps and bounds! Let me think, aren't they adding another high school because they outgrew the current one! We will see how good they are this year! If Woodbury wins the SEC, then I will tip my hat to you and Wes.
The community and hockey association were growing by leaps and bounds before Bolin was there too. I will concede that calling him the best coach in the state is a little too bold considering he has never won a MN state championship (even though he's only had 4 tries), but I think you would be hard pressed to name a coach who is better than Wes.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!

observer
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by observer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Dietsch, if that's what he decides to do.

McMahon, no way.

Post Reply