High School players - how did you get there?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jBlaze3000

High School players - how did you get there?

Post by jBlaze3000 »

As a parent of 3 boys, the oldest of which is a Squirt player, I wonder if there are any common denominators among high school hockey players and what got you to that level such as:

- Did most play on A level teams coming up through the youth ranks?
- Did you play hockey year round or did you play other sports as well?
- What was the biggest factor in your success (what would you recommend to aspiring young players)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
HockeyHigh

Post by HockeyHigh »

Determination is the number one factor. A kid that stays dedicated to improved his athletic performance and takes pride in his ability will likely go a long ways.

As for answering your questions:

-There are many, many kids that played B level hockey, or alternated between B and A hockey each year that end up playing key roles on Varsity hockey teams. Players 'bloom' at different ages. On the other hand, I also know many players that were 'A' players every single year, but ended up falling off and getting cut from JV/V teams when they got to High School.

-The best way to do this, is let the kids play what sports they're interested in. If your kid is interested mostly in one sport, let him play that one more often. For example, if you kid plays baseball, hockey, and football, but likes hockey the most, let him play all three, but maybe look for a few camps during the summer that don't interfere with the other two sports. This will improve his abilities, as well as leave other sports open for enjoyment. Multi-sport athletes generally do very well. Just don't let your kid burn out with too many sports, kids gotta be kids.

-Determination. Each player has to challenge themselves, not make their parents or coaches do it for them. There's a reason teams like Moorhead, Roseau, Edina, etc etc do well every year. Players that come to these programs, or are raised through them look to be the best, because those ahead of them were the best. Each individual is required to put his own effort into being better than anyone else, not just on his team, but better than the other teams as well.
ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey »

Hockey High said it very well. Determination. I have seen many talented youth hockey players grow up and their heart really wasn't in it and they were unsuccessful at the high school level and ended up quiting. Another thing that plays a role in making the high school team believe it or not is transfers. Kids grow up playing on the A teams all the way through youth hockey and then transfer to other schools. It opens up spots for the weaker players that always made the B teams and gives them a chance to make JV. My advice is to wait to worry about your kid making JV untill he gets there. You never know if hockey will be his #1 sport nor will you know who will be there in the end as far as players going to other schools. Tell your kids to enjoy their youth hockey days cuz they truely are some of the best, and not only for your kid but for you!
jBlaze3000

Post by jBlaze3000 »

Thanks for the replies. My oldest plays hockey and baseball and the younger ones just want to be like him. He has also shown an interest in football but when given the option of playing football or doing a fall hockey clinic he has always chose the clinics. Hockey is definitely his favorite and he serious about getting better however I think football could be could for him be able to take a hit going into Pee Wee's.

At the arena I see these mite aged kids that skate year round in every clinic they can get into every clinic available and don't play any other sports. They are phenominal skaters for their age and I often wonder if this is the blue print to play in high school and possibly beyond or if it is just over zealous parents pushing their kids and not necessarily the best thing for long term success. Sounds like you guys are saying it's probably the latter.

I agree that the most important thing is for them to have fun.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

"Multi-sport athletes generally do very well. Just don't let your kid burn out with too many sports, kids gotta be kids."

Unless you are in certain "District" that prohibit kids still involved in a High School sport from trying out and participating in practices until said sport is over with. :x
hockeysista

Post by hockeysista »

Absolutely do not feel that you need to put them in every clinic that comes along. Select a good one or two. Play fall league (skip spring league if they play baseball). I think one of the best ways for young kids to develop is to let them "just play" on outdoor ice. In the summer if you want a clinic - find one that incorporates some fun activities along with hard work.
O-townClown

depends

Post by O-townClown »

I think it matters which community you call home. The notion of a boy playing in-season only hockey and devoting an equal amount of time to football and baseball may fly in Windom. Many of the big programs in the SW suburbs are pretty serious. Like it or not, you may want to get to know Bernie well if you hope to make the HS team at a place like Minnetonka, Jefferson, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, or Edina in six years.
Be kind. Rewind.
jBlaze3000

Re: depends

Post by jBlaze3000 »

O-townClown wrote:I think it matters which community you call home. The notion of a boy playing in-season only hockey and devoting an equal amount of time to football and baseball may fly in Windom. Many of the big programs in the SW suburbs are pretty serious. Like it or not, you may want to get to know Bernie well if you hope to make the HS team at a place like Minnetonka, Jefferson, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, or Edina in six years.
What does that mean?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

jBlaze3000 wrote:What does that mean?
It is a euphemism for spending a lot of time on the ice. McBain runs two, soon to be three, sheets at the Minnesota Made complex. Many kids play year-'round hockey.
Be kind. Rewind.
jBlaze3000

Post by jBlaze3000 »

O-townClown wrote:
jBlaze3000 wrote:What does that mean?
It is a euphemism for spending a lot of time on the ice. McBain runs two, soon to be three, sheets at the Minnesota Made complex. Many kids play year-'round hockey.
Would you say that the majority of the HS kids at the SW schools played hockey year round? What level do you see them start to focus on hockey only?
northwoods oldtimer

SW Burbs

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Would you say that the majority of the HS kids at the SW schools played hockey year round? What level do you see them start to focus on hockey only?
In the SW Burbs 6 or 7 years old. Rest of the state Pee Wee to Bantam level. Some kids are late bloomers some are phenoms at 13 but never get and bigger or better. If you have both feet on the ground and balance it all out you end up like Matt Niskanin, Aaron Ness, Alex Goligoski or Joe Stejskal peeking at the right time. The reason I mentioned those 4 is that not one of them played year round. Unfortunately in the SW Burbs you have no choice if you wish to just play high school.
kingklick087

Post by kingklick087 »

Most high school varsity players someway do play hockey all year round and some play other sports but most players play A or B all the way up
hockeyhair15

Post by hockeyhair15 »

yous asked about a comon thread, they just gotta love the game and determination. heres an idea, see if you can get a varsity player to sit down with you son and talk to him about what it takes to crack the lineup. personaly i wished someone would have done this with me, my biggest regret is waiting too long to start working hard on my game, stick handling, shooting and lifting in the summer, working with a power skating coach, ect. but when i did decide to put in the time it was because i wanted to not because my pops pushed me to, the point is to just keep it fun and not burn him out by the time he's a bantam. hope that helps
jBlaze3000

Post by jBlaze3000 »

6 or 7 years old seems too young to me to be playing hockey year round. I'm sure some kids do it and become very successful but I've always encouraged my kids to be multi-sport athlete's. I think there are things to be gained from all sports that can be carried over to hockey (or whatever sport they decide to focus on). My 10 year old definitely likes hockey the best so I usually get him in a fall clinic, play Showcase in the spring and maybe hit up open hockey once a month in the summer. He also plays baseball and soccer.

hockeyhair15 - So how old were you when you decided to get serious about hockey and when did you wish you would have started?
jBlaze3000

Post by jBlaze3000 »

double post.
Last edited by jBlaze3000 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyhair15

Post by hockeyhair15 »

as soon as i got into high school i went out for track my freshman year and football my sophmore year, so thats when i started to get serious about sports, id say my sophmore year i really committed to lifting, stick handling in my basement and shooting pucks in the garage, however its always ben my speed thats held me back, and it wasnt untill after my senior year that i began working with a powerskating coach 1-2 times a week in comination with the lifting ect. i think that i should have probably started putting forth the effort in about 7th grade, any earlier and i think i would have burned out. at the very latest i'd say my freshman year. im glad i decided to do it because it helped me make a jr team i otherwise wouldnt have been able to. i guess for young kids id just say encourage em to skate at the local out door rink all day, that way you keep it fun but they still improve
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

#1. They must be athletic With that said most do play other sports and excel.
#2. Skating they have to skate. Fast powerful skating with edge control and balance.
#3. This should be #1 Commitment determination competitive, All are the same but different. Kids grow at different rates and the work requird to improve and or keep up is never ending. All of my sons teammates play or train in some aspect all year long. While playing other sports.
FYI. It did start and the age of 6 or 7.
#4. Love the Game
#5 lastly its also a parental commitment. ( Time and Money )
Just ask thos parnts that have brokenfrom family tradition to attend a hockey tourney this week. I can honestly say that all my sons teamates have this one common factor.
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

This has now become the topic of conversation. My Son has added that being a good student and person also improves your chances. He also adds that camps and clinics over the last 12 years have been fun and helpful.
jBlaze3000

Post by jBlaze3000 »

Dazed&Confused wrote:All of my sons teammates play or train in some aspect all year long. While playing other sports.
FYI. It did start and the age of 6 or 7.
I guess playing "year round" can mean different things to different people. Are we talking skating 5 days a week or is it more like rollerblading, shooting in the garage and that sort of thing in the summer time?

I'm lucky in that my oldest definitely loves the game and has the determination to get better. I think he has some natural ability (not saying he's the next Gretzky) and he's also a bigger kid (I am 6'2" myself). I do want him to be well rounded and I don't want him getting burned out. Sounds to me like the best thing to do is push him as hard as he's willing to be pushed as long as he's balancing all the other aspects of his life (school, church, etc.).
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

He played for the blades for awhile also clinics or camps. But never full time 5 days a week. Alot of rollerblade stuff he loved the skate parks.
Pick up hockey on sunday with the old guys. filing in at a tourney in the summer. I would say the longest he went without touching the ice was maybe a month.
We never pushed. We have had a few conversations about effort or commitment to team he didnt like playing on.