Hill-Murray (0-0) @ Edina (2-0) 12-06

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Hornets
66%
Pioneers
34%

Total votes: 29

HShockeywatcher

Hill-Murray (0-0) @ Edina (2-0) 12-06

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:21 pm

Rematch of last year's AA championship game. Both teams play Burnsville this week.

mnsportsnetwork

Listen to this game on MSBN!

Post by mnsportsnetwork » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53 pm

This game will be broadcast live on the Minnesota Sports Broadcast Network...check it out at www.mnsportsnetwork.com for more details.

We'll be announcing the rest of our December schedule in the next few days, but along with this game, we'll have the STA-Marshall game as well on the 6th. Should be a pretty entertaining day, with the re-matches of both the "A" and "AA" championship games!

dynamicD

Post by dynamicD » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:23 am

I think Hill is gonna repeat what they did to the hornets last year and that is beat them. Whoever wins this game i think will obviously gain the #1 ranking in the state unless like B'ville pulls off the upset over Hill or something. I'll be interested to see how Edina responds to a tough team with the loss of Budish. Anyway looking forward to a great game!

Hill 5
Edina 3

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:40 am

I got Edina over Hill 6-3. Edina's offense is too much for Hill's questionable goaltending

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am

Buddish may be gone, but they still have a strong team. Phillippi held Hill together for the last 3 seasons and now he is gone. Should be a much different game than last year.

Anyone know what Phillippi's up to now?

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:53 am

Fairbanks Ice Dogs of the NAHL.

Hill is still loaded on offense but questionable D (Casto and Stadler) and Goaltending is very inexperienced.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Seeing as Hill is breaking in a new goalie they may have to score a lot of goals to win this game. Luckily they have a great group of forwards who can score. I think we'll see a high scoring game with goalies not looking great. These are the games you can afford to lose, so it won't matter much which way it goes. I'll take H-M in a thriller 7-6.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Sparlimb wrote:Seeing as Hill is breaking in a new goalie they may have to score a lot of goals to win this game. Luckily they have a great group of forwards who can score. I think we'll see a high scoring game with goalies not looking great. These are the games you can afford to lose, so it won't matter much which way it goes. I'll take H-M in a thriller 7-6.

Nice that teams like Hill, STA and AHA can plan on running the table in thier conferences. Hill should have an even easier year in the conference as STA is down, SSP down, Mahtomedi down Tartan will always play them tough but still not enough.

ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:51 pm

6-5 OT Edina

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Great Match up but Edina will be just a little to much to handle. 5-4 Edina wins in a classic.

hockeyxfan01

Post by hockeyxfan01 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Hill and Edina both have great offense, as usual, but without solid goaltending Hill won't be able to pull off a win.

Edina 5
Hill 3

JV State Champs

Post by JV State Champs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:38 pm

The dominant hornets get revenge.
5-1

breakout

Post by breakout » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm

TheNightman wrote:I got Edina over Hill 6-3. Edina's offense is too much for Hill's questionable goaltending
Edina will play with a new goalie as well. Should be a great game.

Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Hill still has a good team, but it was strong defensive play and solid goaltending that won them the game. I think it's too early for all these question marks to beat as complete a team as Edina, even without Budish. If they meet in March, it may be a different story though.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.

Hillfan

Post by Hillfan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Looking forward to the results of this one, very hard to predict with the teams having significant changes occur in the offseason. In that case, I really see this game being very close...overtime perhaps?
Hill-Murray Pioneers 2008 State Champions!

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:45 am

youngblood08 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:Seeing as Hill is breaking in a new goalie they may have to score a lot of goals to win this game. Luckily they have a great group of forwards who can score. I think we'll see a high scoring game with goalies not looking great. These are the games you can afford to lose, so it won't matter much which way it goes. I'll take H-M in a thriller 7-6.

Nice that teams like Hill, STA and AHA can plan on running the table in thier conferences. Hill should have an even easier year in the conference as STA is down, SSP down, Mahtomedi down Tartan will always play them tough but still not enough.
SSP down? Id say they are emerging. Wilcox is a great goalie and held the Pioneers to a tie last year. Mahtomedi has one of the best d-men in the state and well Tartan...they just plain suck this year, I got no answer for that. STA still has Altrichter (sp?) and always seems to field a great squad.

People bash the Classic Suburban but the fact that the 2 state champs came from the conference has to earn some credit.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:15 am

SSP down, yes they are and losing Faulk won't help. 13 seniors on the roster last season, a public school of this size doesn't have the enrollment to make up for that. And based on what the youth association has done at this age group there isn't much to work with.

Yes Marshall is good but he's not the whole team Hill will crush them.

STA has put some nice teams on the ice.....past tense. Walters, Rooney and Sainty will be missed.

Tartan will be tough this year and next. The team is Jr heavy and will be good.

I didn't take anything away from the Classic Suburban conference yes it is the home of the reining State champs both AA and A. I would call them a "Great Conference" if this year one of the other teams won it or took the conference title. The fact is you have 2 really strong teams in it the rest are pretty average or below. Fact is the rosters have changed and the path has gotten easier this year for Hill.

northwoods oldtimer

Hill

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 am

Tough one to pick.
Hill 4
Edina 3

who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:52 pm

HM 3 - Edina 1

Good game with the Pie-n-ears looking as if they havent lost too much from last year. Can't knock Zepeda anymore for not going into corners. He did that a number of times tonight - successfully. Biggest difference maker of the game was goaltending. Phillipi's successor was a wall. (sorry dont have his name)

Hill's D need to get more physical in their own zone but their lines/stickwork were high caliber. Apparently a couple of HM D-men were scratches tonight so maybe they have some grit back there that wasnt showcased tonight.

I wouldn't count Edina out. They have some horses and played well. Woodbury will need to be on their game next week cuz the Hornets will have something to prove.

If anyone had a good angle on it - I would be curious to know if Edina actually scored a goal in the first couple minutes of the game. Refs ruled no goal but my vantage looked like it could have went in and right back out without refs seeing.

GVvikes

Post by GVvikes » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:10 pm

who_b_dat wrote:HM 3 - Edina 1

Good game with the Pie-n-ears looking as if they havent lost too much from last year. Can't knock Zepeda anymore for not going into corners. He did that a number of times tonight - successfully. Biggest difference maker of the game was goaltending. Phillipi's successor was a wall. (sorry dont have his name)

Hill's D need to get more physical in their own zone but their lines/stickwork were high caliber. Apparently a couple of HM D-men were scratches tonight so maybe they have some grit back there that wasnt showcased tonight.

I wouldn't count Edina out. They have some horses and played well. Woodbury will need to be on their game next week cuz the Hornets will have something to prove.

If anyone had a good angle on it - I would be curious to know if Edina actually scored a goal in the first couple minutes of the game. Refs ruled no goal but my vantage looked like it could have went in and right back out without refs seeing.
It was No goal, I was was near that corner and it was a square hit off the pipe 30 seconds into the game, Edina hit the pipe again cleanly with about 3 minutes to go also, great game of inches for sure.
Basketball, a great game for guys who cant play Hockey

who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks GV ... appreciate it.

stpaul

HM 3, Edina 1

Post by stpaul » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:29 am

Just got home from Braemar (after stopping for a couple of beers). It was a great game. The difference was HM's sophomore goalie Tim Shaughnessy. He was better than Edina's 11th grader Johnny Ankeny. Shots were 34-29 Edina. Outstanding game for early in the year. Lots of hitting. Lots of scoring chances. HM is speedy. Edina is big. Both teams have a lot of skill. HM had the better 1st period and was up 1-0 (Westerhaus scored) . 2nd period even - HM made it 2-0 (Bruchu scored). Edina dominated the 3rd (shots 17-9 Edina). Edina scored to make it 2-1 mid 3rd (Kretzman) Edina took a dumb penalty w/ 3 minutes left and HM scored a nifty power play goal to make it 3-1 late (Widing from Zepeda) . Shaughnessy was great but benefited from a couple of shots that hit the pipe and he had a couple between his legs where he was looking behind himself. Edina 0-5 on the power play. Braemar was full. I hope they meet again at the Excel in 3 weeks at the Schwan Cup Tournament. These are probably again the best 2 teams in the state.

Papa Bergundy

Re: HM 3, Edina 1

Post by Papa Bergundy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:12 am

stpaul wrote:Just got home from Braemar (after stopping for a couple of beers). It was a great game. The difference was HM's sophomore goalie Tim Shaughnessy. He was better than Edina's 11th grader Johnny Ankeny. Shots were 34-29 Edina. Outstanding game for early in the year. Lots of hitting. Lots of scoring chances. HM is speedy. Edina is big. Both teams have a lot of skill. HM had the better 1st period and was up 1-0 (Westerhaus scored) . 2nd period even - HM made it 2-0 (Bruchu scored). Edina dominated the 3rd (shots 17-9 Edina). Edina scored to make it 2-1 mid 3rd (Kretzman) Edina took a dumb penalty w/ 3 minutes left and HM scored a nifty power play goal to make it 3-1 late (Widing from Zepeda) . Shaughnessy was great but benefited from a couple of shots that hit the pipe and he had a couple between his legs where he was looking behind himself. Edina 0-5 on the power play. Braemar was full. I hope they meet again at the Excel in 3 weeks at the Schwan Cup Tournament. These are probably again the best 2 teams in the state.
Great breakdown. Shaghnessy was the difference to me. To hold the high octane offense of Edina to 1 goal is phenomenal. Granted Edina had alot of pucks they normally would have buried, Hill played solid defense and displayed quick transitions and great speed. Very fun game to watch, get your ticks to the Schwann cup I'm sure these two will see each other again.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.

Lakeviewing

Re: HM 3, Edina 1

Post by Lakeviewing » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:13 am

stpaul wrote:Just got home from Braemar (after stopping for a couple of beers). It was a great game. The difference was HM's sophomore goalie Tim Shaughnessy. He was better than Edina's 11th grader Johnny Ankeny. Shots were 34-29 Edina. Outstanding game for early in the year. Lots of hitting. Lots of scoring chances. HM is speedy. Edina is big. Both teams have a lot of skill. HM had the better 1st period and was up 1-0 (Westerhaus scored) . 2nd period even - HM made it 2-0 (Bruchu scored). Edina dominated the 3rd (shots 17-9 Edina). Edina scored to make it 2-1 mid 3rd (Kretzman) Edina took a dumb penalty w/ 3 minutes left and HM scored a nifty power play goal to make it 3-1 late (Widing from Zepeda) . Shaughnessy was great but benefited from a couple of shots that hit the pipe and he had a couple between his legs where he was looking behind himself. Edina 0-5 on the power play. Braemar was full. I hope they meet again at the Excel in 3 weeks at the Schwan Cup Tournament. These are probably again the best 2 teams in the state.
, Hill is a solid team. I think Edina is teasing us. They are slightly questionable at defense and goalie, but in the end, these kids will turn it up a notch toward the end of the season. It's okay to lose a couple of games early in the season to bring a reality sense, but in the long run they have the team to win this.

bardown30

Post by bardown30 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:32 am

It looked as though Hill simply outplayed Edina in the first 2 periods. Edina looked very sloppy and could not get anything together. As far as scoring chances, Edina had way more. Eppel had 2-3 alone that he just could not bury. Another problem I saw for Edina was their inability to hit the net, even Everson failed to hit the net on 3-4 occasions by missing high. Edina's D was pretty weak too. Hill's goalie really kept them in this one and made the difference. Another note is that Junior Charlie Taft did not play for Edina. Overall a good game and clearly the best two teams in state in this one. Another rematch is in order!