Hill-Murray (0-0) @ Edina (2-0) 12-06

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Hornets
66%
Pioneers
34%

Total votes: 29

Pioneers_18

Post by Pioneers_18 »

Another outstanding early season victory for the Pioneers. Clearly Lechner's biggest challenge is going to be keeping Ego's in check.
SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

Edina=4
Hill=3
in ot
dangles9

Post by dangles9 »

bardown30 wrote:Another note is that Junior Charlie Taft did not play for Edina.
Any one know why he didn't play?
quickgym guy

Post by quickgym guy »

SEMNHOCKEYFAN wrote:Edina=4
Hill=3
in ot
Did you just crawl out from under a rock... HM won 3-1.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

dangles9 wrote:
bardown30 wrote:Another note is that Junior Charlie Taft did not play for Edina.
Any one know why he didn't play?
Word is that he was in a car accident earlier in the day.

I disagree about Hill's goalie outplaying Edina's. Edina had a couple of defensive breakdowns and Ankeny came up with big saves while I'd say 2 of the 3 Hill goals were more on the defense than the goalie, while on a couple of chances Hill's goalie was out of position and Edina could not bury it. However, Hill's goalie had a very good game and came up with the big saves, just Ankeny played better than his stats.

Zepeda and Widing played great and Zepeda was fighting in the corners, solid on the penalty kill, very good on the breakout and played a better defensive game than offensive game. Bruchu also stood out for his physical play and smart decisions with the puck. He was the only kid on the ice that could go into the corner with Anders Lee and beat him.

Baker played a tremendous game, catching Zepeda on a a breakaway right before he got a shot off and was very good in all 3 zones. Everson also had some very nice passes and brought the physical game and was probably the most complete player on the ice. Those two were clearly the best two players for Edina.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Hope nothing serious. Charlie is a nice kid, fun to watch.
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

youngblood08 wrote:Hope nothing serious. Charlie is a nice kid, fun to watch.
It wasn't anything serious. He was on the bench yesterday. Just had some pain in his neck because of the whiplash. I believe his car was rear ended.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Pioneers_18 wrote:Another outstanding early season victory for the Pioneers. Clearly Lechner's biggest challenge is going to be keeping Ego's in check.
Totally agree.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

what a great effort by Hill Murray. this #6 Defenseman Castro was amazing he has come up quite a bit. also Hill has two amazing forwards who are sophmores on the second line. And Issac Kohls is just stunning with his stickwork with the puck...and a sophmore goalie that looks to be solid solid solid...wow..was most impressed
D-Fence wins Titles

Post by D-Fence wins Titles »

saw the game and Hill has a very impressive team. Really strong up front, with speed that no one will be able to compete with. Hills goalie played great, he is starting to shape into a game saver early in his career. He just needs not to get too cocky, he hasn't done anything yet. it seemed to me that hill had some new faces on the blue line? Heard that # 28 was phillipi's little brother John? Can any one confirm this? Best wishes to Hill this season
ccm911

Post by ccm911 »

Strong game for hills top four forwards kohls westerhaus zepeda widing. widing with one on power play and westerhaus with the other two . look for these four to be the dominate point getters this year for hills team. Hills new goalie looked strong too, seems like hill is missing some players... who is out?
ccm911

Post by ccm911 »

Strong game for hills top four forwards kohls westerhaus zepeda widing. widing with one on power play and westerhaus with the other two . look for these four to be the dominate point getters this year for hills team. Hills new goalie looked strong too, seems like hill is missing some players... who is out?
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

ccm911 wrote:Strong game for hills top four forwards kohls westerhaus zepeda widing. widing with one on power play and westerhaus with the other two . look for these four to be the dominate point getters this year for hills team. Hills new goalie looked strong too, seems like hill is missing some players... who is out?
Alex Kelly, Duke Pieper and Jonathan Stadler were scratched.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

monte french also has quit the team
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

sachishi4 wrote:monte french also has quit the team
What happened to that kid? Didn't he make the varsity as a ninth grader? He didn't do anything significant while he was there.
Hillfan

Post by Hillfan »

Great win for the H-M boys early on this season. Couldn't make the game since I'm at school, but the rents made it so I heard pretty good detail about the game.

First and foremost, it sounds as though Tim Shaughnessy is (or at least could be) something special in the years to come. With all due respect to the job Joe Phillippi did last year and in recent years, it sounds as though Shaugnessy is much farther in progress in comparision to Phillippi's sophomore year (poise, confidence, etc). I'm excited to see him play in the Schwann Cup tourney to see if it's true.

Second, it may be early but it seems as though there isn't going to be a quicker top line in the state than H-M's Widing-Kohls-Zepeda line. I expect Issac Kohls to be a Mr. Hockey candidate by the end of the season..he is the best Pioneer on the ice without a doubt.

As for defense, I've heard the young guys such as Cotroneo look pretty solid to start the year off. As always, defense and goaltending take you far so if this holds up then I'd expect the Pioneers to be a top 3 team for the entire year.

I was told Monte French simply quit for various, unknown reasons. The other players I believe are serving minor suspensions for again unknown reasons.

As for Edina, I know in mind they also have the tools and talent to be at least a top 5 team this season.

Best of luck and health (sympathies to Budish) to both squads as the year goes on. I expect (and hope) to see both back at the Xcel in March...
Hill-Murray Pioneers 2008 State Champions!
canuck hook

Hill Murray

Post by canuck hook »

D-Fence wins Titles wrote: it seemed to me that hill had some new faces on the blue line? Heard that # 28 was phillipi's little brother John? Can any one confirm this? Best wishes to Hill this season
The Phillippi's used to be a neighbor and John is indeed the younger brother of Joe and Mike. He is the youngest of the three boys. Just an update on the older boys, Joe is in the NAHL in Fairbanks and Mike is a Sophomore at the Univerisity of Nebraska in the CCHA.
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

Curious about Monte French. Didn't the French's move to Woodbury a few years ago from St. Cloud so the boys could play hockey at HM? It looks like he had a good Elite League season with 10 goals this fall. Is this a case of a senior who quit because he was going to be a 3rd liner when he wanted to be the star? Is the younger brother still on the JV? I don't want to rip on a 17 yr old - but why quit when he could have been a part of another state championship caliber team. I've seen this before over the years at HM with seniors quitting. Seems odd. Maybe there's something else going on that's none of our business.
hockeyislife34

Post by hockeyislife34 »

Does anybody know if this game was close to selling the place out? or was it not very full? i would think since it was two rivals and not to far away from each other this game would have been packed...
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

There was a nice crowd fairly full but not near a sellout.
hockeyislife34

Post by hockeyislife34 »

i've noticed that Edina's arena is quite large.. do they ever pack that place? maybe in playoffs??? anyone know how big HM's arena is?
Hillfan

Post by Hillfan »

stpaul,

I'm also curious. I want to believe your reason that "he wanted to be star" and play on a higher line but I can't just assume it. Like you said, it's probably business that shouldn't involve people like ourselves. Either way, it's a bit of a shock although I don't see it affecting the strength of the team in any way...better now than later I'd say.

I heard there was a good crowd at Edina...not sure how often it's packed but I must imagine that it is during playoff time.

Hill-Murray shares their home rink with White Bear Lake at Aldrich Arena which is quite large (approx 3,000 in seating?). It's a great venue for holding large games.
Hill-Murray Pioneers 2008 State Champions!
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

Stadler is out with a shoulder injury. Kelly is on dicsiplinary probation.

#28 is Kevin Schultze not John Phillippi.

Duke Pieper came from Shattuck and made the varsity team, but I don't think he has seen any ice time and I don't know the details. Maybe they swapped him with Schultze.

The back up varsity goalie played in the JV game against Edina.

I did hear an unconfirmed rumor that Monte French quit because he was not pleased playing 3rd line.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

Monte was moved to 4th line by the coach and decided he wanted to pursue other opportunities.

His little brother, Loren, is still playing JV.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
pond 15

Post by pond 15 »

Charliedog

#28 is and always was John Phillippi

Duke Pieper is out with a medical condition

And the goalie that played in the JV game against Edina was Hill's 2nd JV goalie

Schultze is playing JV