Mark Alt (Football or Hockey)

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flatontheice

Mark Alt (Football or Hockey)

Post by flatontheice »

Reading the Tribune today..interesting to see Don Lucia's comments about kids playing multiple sports. Was the kid he was talking about not playing football next year Mark Alt?
Iceburg

Re: Mark Alt (Football or Hockey)

Post by Iceburg »

flatontheice wrote:Reading the Tribune today..interesting to see Don Lucia's comments about kids playing multiple sports. Was the kid he was talking about not playing football next year Mark Alt?
No
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Iceburg wrote:
flatontheice wrote:Reading the Tribune today..interesting to see Don Lucia's comments about kids playing multiple sports. Was the kid he was talking about not playing football next year Mark Alt?
No
Who was it then?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

I would say it wasn't Alt as well. Alt had verbally committed before
Budish was injured.
canuck hook

Post by canuck hook »

wbmd wrote:
Budish was injured.
The player in question is Ben Marshall. He played football this fall and made a verball commitment to the U. He played in the Elite League but missed most of the games this fall because he was playing football.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

For both hockey and football, would you rather have Mark Alt or Anders Lee. Football only? Hockey only?
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

For both hockey and football, would you rather have Mark Alt or Anders Lee. Football only? Hockey only?
tgeagles

Post by tgeagles »

canuck hook wrote:
wbmd wrote:
Budish was injured.
The player in question is Ben Marshall. He played football this fall and made a verball commitment to the U. He played in the Elite League but missed most of the games this fall because he was playing football.
ah no way can it be ben marshall he is a tenth grader they cannot recruit or even talk to tenth graders no way he made a commitment not possible!!!
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

is possible. don't know if he did. but if the player/parent makes first contact with the coach - then it certainly is possible - and not at all unusual.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

The bigger question is, even though he didn't name the recruit, did Lucia commit an NCAA violation by talking about him before he signed an LOI?
komada77

Post by komada77 »

scoreboard33 wrote:For both hockey and football, would you rather have Mark Alt or Anders Lee. Football only? Hockey only?
Lee in both. Alt is very good at both sports but Lee is arguably the best football player and the best hockey player in Minnesota. He's also much bigger than Alt at 6'3" 215 vs. 6'4" 185
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
cyclonesniper11

Post by cyclonesniper11 »

Alt in football is better than Lee in my opinion. He has a stronger arm, and is a better passer, though he does have a much better team.
canuck hook

Post by canuck hook »

tgeagles wrote:
canuck hook wrote:
wbmd wrote: I would say it wasn't Alt as well. Alt had verbally committed before
Budish was injured.
ah no way can it be ben marshall he is a tenth grader they cannot recruit or even talk to tenth graders no way he made a commitment not possible!!!
This is from Gopher Hockey Blog
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Special Delivery from Mahtomedi High
The Gopher hockey program picked up a big commitment last night as super slick defenseman Ben Marshall of Mahtomedi called Coach Don Lucia and committed to the Gophers. Other schools that he had considered to varying degrees were North Dakota, SCSU, and Wisconsin.
komada77

Post by komada77 »

cyclonesniper11 wrote:Alt in football is better than Lee in my opinion. He has a stronger arm, and is a better passer, though he does have a much better team.
I've played against Alt and watched Lee many times. Lee is not as good a tradtional QB as Alt is but he is undoubtedly a better football player overall.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

canuck hook wrote:
tgeagles wrote:
canuck hook wrote: The player in question is Ben Marshall. He played football this fall and made a verball commitment to the U. He played in the Elite League but missed most of the games this fall because he was playing football.
This is from Gopher Hockey Blog
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Special Delivery from Mahtomedi High
The Gopher hockey program picked up a big commitment last night as super slick defenseman Ben Marshall of Mahtomedi called Coach Don Lucia and committed to the Gophers. Other schools that he had considered to varying degrees were North Dakota, SCSU, and Wisconsin.
Why do we have such a hard time understanding that kids can and do commit before coaches are allowed to contact them all the time.
mch

Post by mch »

komada77 wrote:
scoreboard33 wrote:For both hockey and football, would you rather have Mark Alt or Anders Lee. Football only? Hockey only?
Lee in both. Alt is very good at both sports but Lee is arguably the best football player and the best hockey player in Minnesota. He's also much bigger than Alt at 6'3" 215 vs. 6'4" 185
considering the fact that alt has an inch on him and is a year younger, i wouldn't say he's "much bigger than him." Alt has another year to fill out and I'm sure he'll be bigger than lee is this year.
komada77

Post by komada77 »

mch wrote:
komada77 wrote:
considering the fact that alt has an inch on him and is a year younger, i wouldn't say he's "much bigger than him." Alt has another year to fill out and I'm sure he'll be bigger than lee is this year.
You honestly believe that Mark Alt can put on 30 pounds of muscle by next year? If he can, more power to him but that is a very tall order for a 16 or 17 year old kid who also has to worry about academics.
behonestbenice

Post by behonestbenice »

Have you ever seen Mark Alts dad Mark is probably going tp grow another 3 inches at least and put on another 70-80 lbs He will be a Culpepper size qb . His dad played like 14 years with the chiefs and his huge, but not at all over weight. His dad is a big physical speciment of an athlete still to this day.
Alt can be monsterous if he wants to . Lee on the other hand is extremely talented and athletic but is probably done growing. He parents are not big at all and he probably already exceeded the size he should be if youcompare himtohis parents.

They are both great two and three sport athletes and both will be extremely successful at the next level no matter which sport they pick, but Alt will end up the bigger of the 2 by far.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

behonestbenice wrote:Have you ever seen Mark Alts dad Mark is probably going tp grow another 3 inches at least and put on another 70-80 lbs He will be a Culpepper size qb . His dad played like 14 years with the chiefs and his huge, but not at all over weight. His dad is a big physical speciment of an athlete still to this day.
Alt can be monsterous if he wants to . Lee on the other hand is extremely talented and athletic but is probably done growing. He parents are not big at all and he probably already exceeded the size he should be if youcompare himtohis parents.

They are both great two and three sport athletes and both will be extremely successful at the next level no matter which sport they pick, but Alt will end up the bigger of the 2 by far.
Can you define speciment?
The U invented swagger.
dubya44

Post by dubya44 »

mark pretty much just started growing. i know him personally and every time i see him he looks bigger. give him another year and he'll be two or three inches taller and 15 to 20 pounds heavier. i think mark is the better quarterback over all..
futurecoach

Post by futurecoach »

yes, mark is still growing, but honestly, he is capable to go far in both football and hockey.
E

Post by E »

komada77 wrote:
cyclonesniper11 wrote:Alt in football is better than Lee in my opinion. He has a stronger arm, and is a better passer, though he does have a much better team.
I've played against Alt and watched Lee many times. Lee is not as good a tradtional QB as Alt is but he is undoubtedly a better football player overall.
Ive played against Alt too, and ive seen Lee play in person, and no doubt in my mind that Lee is a better football. He has lead his team to more wins, and Alt has onlt been a starter for 1 year. Lee is more agile and much better
dubya44

Post by dubya44 »

are you guys thinkin football or hockey for mark?? i think it could go either way to be honest...
komada77

Post by komada77 »

dubya44 wrote:are you guys thinkin football or hockey for mark?? i think it could go either way to be honest...
Hockey for sure. Alt is a legit pro prospect in hockey. Not even close in football. Remember, this is Minnesota. Being one of the best hockey players in the state is like being one of the best football players in Texas-it's a big deal. Being the best football player in MN, on the other hand. is not nearly as impressive relative to the rest of the country.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

komada77 wrote:
dubya44 wrote:are you guys thinkin football or hockey for mark?? i think it could go either way to be honest...
Hockey for sure. Alt is a legit pro prospect in hockey. Not even close in football. Remember, this is Minnesota. Being one of the best hockey players in the state is like being one of the best football players in Texas-it's a big deal. Being the best football player in MN, on the other hand. is not nearly as impressive relative to the rest of the country.
Not sure i agree with that, look at Joe Mauer for example. also Alt's lineman Sentrall Henderson is a top 5 recruit for 2010...

But i do get the basis of your statement. He excels in hockey whereas i am sure he's good enough to play lots of places in football just not the USC's of the world. I'd lvoe to see him mature into a 6-6 mamouth who crushes people.