Hibbing vs. Denfeld 1-20-09

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hibbing Bluejackets
72%
Denfeld Hunters
28%

Total votes: 18

gophers101

Hibbing vs. Denfeld 1-20-09

Post by gophers101 »

Should be an interesting game as Hibbing travels to the Heritage Center to face the Hunters.

Relative games- Both beat Hastings and DD lost to Virginia.

Hibbing- 4.2 goals per game 2.5 allowed
Denfeld- 3.5 goals per game 2.2 allowed

Players to watch besides Jamnick
Denfeld- Cody Hotchkin and Jason Johnson
Hibbing- Ryan Hanegmon and Ryan Johnson

Hibbing-2
Denfeld-1
barnorthhockeyguy

Post by barnorthhockeyguy »

Should be a good game. Denfeld pulls out a close one. Hunters 4 Jackets 3. Jason Johnson with game winner.
pacman

Post by pacman »

How is the Heritage arena...havent been able to get down their yet?
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

Pretty nice arena. I'll take the Jackets in this one.
Hibbing 5
Denfeld 2
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

pacman wrote:How is the Heritage arena...havent been able to get down their yet?
Amazing.
I would think Matt Messina would be a player to watch for Denfeld...
Go Hounds.
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

Is that the same Messina that played for Marshall and beat hibbing in the 7A final last year?
barnorthhockeyguy

Post by barnorthhockeyguy »

Yes Matt played for Marshall last year.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

Messina gives them an opportunity to win almost any game.. add to that i think this is a pretty even matchup
I think denfeld will win at home 4-2
pacman

Post by pacman »

Thanks Guys..will be nice to check out that place.

Hibbing wins 3-2
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Hibbing 6
Denfeld 2
OldTimeHockey1963

Post by OldTimeHockey1963 »

i see this one coming down to one goal. i'll give the edge to the hunters playing at home. It will be a great hockey game with the jackets coming off a big win against virginia and the hunters coming off a stinger against the mighty hounds. A lot depends on how well the hunters play jamnick.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Hope Hibbing 14-3, more likely Hibbing 3 Denfeld 0.
Go Hounds.
fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 »

Of Denfeld's 5 losses they have lost by 3 goals to Cretin-Durham Hall; 2 goals to East; and 1 goal to St. Cloud Cathedral (gave up goal with 2:12 to go in the game), Virginia (gave up goal with 2:50 left in the game), and Crookston (gave up goal with 0:13 left in the game - outshot Crookston 44-18 ). So 3 of the 5 losses were clearly very close and could have gone either way.

Coming into the season I though the Hunters would struggle to go .500 but they have really surprised me thus far. They have a little more depth than I originally expected and the arrival of Matt Messina has been a huge addition to the team. I think they have proven they can skate with anyone in Class A to this point. To get over the edge and pull out a win against Hibbing will be a big confidence booster for Denfeld.

I'm just excited to finally have the opportunity to watch a high school game at the Heritage!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

EHSHack wrote:Hope Hibbing 14-3, more likely Hibbing 3 Denfeld 0.
You need to learn the Code Of East Hockey Allegiance, which goes as follows:

1. East, East, East
2. Central/Denfeld
3. Cloquet/Grand Rapids
4. Other northern Minnesota public school teams
5. Blech....the rest

Follow this code and you'll feel happier, more at peace with the planet. Image

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

pacman wrote:Thanks Guys..will be nice to check out that place.

Hibbing wins 3-2
After touring the Heritage Arena (before boards, ice and bleachers were installed), I was stunned by how it looked when first attending a game there. Sight lines are decent, and I love that walkway around the perimeter. I still haven't found out who the four faces are along that huge mural on the lake side (Fryburger? Peterson? Who else and who is that lady?)

The only small quibble I have is that if you're standing up above on the near side (where you first are after climbing the stairs), there are several large posts which can obscure your view. (Unless you can get along the railing right above the announcers box which is usually reserved for media, etc) For that reason, I stand along the railing on the far side. Well, you'll see what I mean when you check out a game there. It's extremely nice! And even nicer is that East, Denfeld and Central finally have a great place to play their home games.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

east hockey wrote:
pacman wrote:Thanks Guys..will be nice to check out that place.

Hibbing wins 3-2
After touring the Heritage Arena (before boards, ice and bleachers were installed), I was stunned by how it looked when first attending a game there. Sight lines are decent, and I love that walkway around the perimeter. I still haven't found out who the four faces are along that huge mural on the lake side (Fryburger? Peterson? Who else and who is that lady?)

The only small quibble I have is that if you're standing up above on the near side (where you first are after climbing the stairs), there are several large posts which can obscure your view. (Unless you can get along the railing right above the announcers box which is usually reserved for media, etc) For that reason, I stand along the railing on the far side. Well, you'll see what I mean when you check out a game there. It's extremely nice! And even nicer is that East, Denfeld and Central finally have a great place to play their home games.

Lee
I was wondering who those people painted on the wall were too. It also looked like there was some spaces on the wall similiar to that one; know if there are plans for future murals?

For first-time attendees, I'd definitely recommend standing along the near side by the press box. There's a great view of the ice sheet from there, and you can hear what's going on down on the benches too.
Hockey3710

Post by Hockey3710 »

bluejackets 4
Hunters 1
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

hibbing by 2
Jdosen

Post by Jdosen »

hunters 3
jackets 2
uzapuck

Hibbing comeback take 2

Post by uzapuck »

denfield 2 hibbing 1 end of 1
denfield 4 hibbing 1 end of 2
denfield 4 hibbing 4 end of 3
denfield 4 hibbing 5 1st min of ot

Jaminick way to much for denfield
fkahckyprofessor20

Re: Hibbing comeback take 2

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 »

uzapuck wrote:denfield 2 hibbing 1 end of 1

I disagree with Jaminick alone being the difference. Denfeld clearly controlled the play for the first two periods. Their top two lines moved the puck at will and it seemed it was going to be a blowout after two. Which brings me to my next point, I now understand why 4 of the 6 losses for Denfeld have come in the finals minutes of the game or OT; and I'm going to take back my depth comment I made in a prior post. Denfeld rotates two lines and they clearly had no gas left in the tank by the time the 3rd period came along. They were no longer beating Hibbing to the puck or playing the body the way they had in the first two periods - which by the way I was very surprised at how physical Denfeld plays. I still believe Denfeld can play with anyone in their section but they need to find a way to rest their top two lines throughout the game. Fun game to watch nonetheless and the Heritage Center is amazing!
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Hibbing comeback take 2

Post by east hockey »

fkahckyprofessor20 wrote:
uzapuck wrote:denfield 2 hibbing 1 end of 1

I disagree with Jaminick alone being the difference. Denfeld clearly controlled the play for the first two periods. Their top two lines moved the puck at will and it seemed it was going to be a blowout after two. Which brings me to my next point, I now understand why 4 of the 6 losses for Denfeld have come in the finals minutes of the game or OT; and I'm going to take back my depth comment I made in a prior post. Denfeld rotates two lines and they clearly had no gas left in the tank by the time the 3rd period came along. They were no longer beating Hibbing to the puck or playing the body the way they had in the first two periods - which by the way I was very surprised at how physical Denfeld plays. I still believe Denfeld can play with anyone in their section but they need to find a way to rest their top two lines throughout the game. Fun game to watch nonetheless and the Heritage Center is amazing!
After what I saw in the second period, I didn't think there was any way Hibbing could get back into this, much less win. Denfeld had them pinned down in their zone constantly and Hibbing's D was having some serious trouble. I understand that two of Hibbing's blue-liners were missing due to injury? Still, Denfeld was showing heart and was taking it to 'em pretty good.

Not sure what happened. Your lack of depth comment makes sense, but it also seems like they played cautious and backed off somewhat. Once Hibbing brought the score to 4-2, they smelled blood.

Good game. Not surprise at the final score. Surprised at how it happened.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
OldTimeHockey1963

Post by OldTimeHockey1963 »

That was a really stunning game. I dont know how the hunters let that one slip. They dismantled in the third period. Sat back and started going to the penalty box. 4 of Hibbings goals came on the power play. Jamnick looked solid but was not the only difference maker. I give hibbing credit for not laying down in the third. Denfeld still had plenty of chances in the last period and I know Johnson had a goal waved off which was probably the correct call and talarico hit a crossbar. The officiating down the stretch could have been a little questionable. Another heartbreaker for the hunters. Hibbing may be tought to beat now.
pacman

Post by pacman »

Vechell broke His Wrist in the Virginia Game and McConkey was out due to being DQ'd in the Virginia game.

Overall this game was pretty boring till the third period. Terrible Reffing in this hockey game as well.
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

Hibbing was finally able to capatalize on their power plays which is nice to see. I knew Denfeld was going to be tough but seeing Hibbing battle back showed alot about there character.