Hastings at Duluth East 1/17/09

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sportsguy29

Hastings at Duluth East 1/17/09

Post by sportsguy29 »

Hastings will make the trip to the Heritage Center on Tuesday at 6:00pm. The game will be broadcasted on AM 1460 KDWA Radio, and LIVE on the internet at www.kdwa.com.

Should be interesting...

Enjoy the game!
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

Hastings doesn't have a very good team this year. It should be no problem for the Hounds.

Hounds-7
Raiders-1
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

gophers101 wrote:Hastings doesn't have a very good team this year. It should be no problem for the Hounds.

Hounds-7
Raiders-1
I agree that Hastings isn't very good. However, neither is Rochester Century and they beat Duluth East this year.
Nonamer

Hounds need to be ready

Post by Nonamer »

East has created some solid momentum and needs to be ready to play tomorrow night. Cooper needs a good test in the nets going into the section playoffs. It must be tough to really get into the game when you don't see many shots.

East 6
Hastings 0
sportsguy29

Re: Hounds need to be ready

Post by sportsguy29 »

Nonamer wrote:East has created some solid momentum and needs to be ready to play tomorrow night. Cooper needs a good test in the nets going into the section playoffs. It must be tough to really get into the game when you don't see many shots.

East 6
Hastings 0
Hastings has some momentum too...playing their best hockey after Saturday's win over Forest Lake...
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

wbmd wrote:
gophers101 wrote:Hastings doesn't have a very good team this year. It should be no problem for the Hounds.

Hounds-7
Raiders-1
I agree that Hastings isn't very good. However, neither is Rochester Century and they beat Duluth East this year.
Apples and Oranges. One of the top 3 goalies in the state, or first ever varsity game for a sophmore. One of the top defensemen in the state in Joe Arbour, or a rookie sophmore? C'mon man I know excuses, excuses, but thats pretty legit.

Hounds 6-1
Go Hounds.
breakout

Post by breakout »

This game should be an old fashion butt whooping. Long way to drive for that experience.
ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD »

C'mon your dreaming if you think Hastings will come within 5 goals of the Hounds.. Long bus ride. Recent emotional victory over North Suburbs "power house" Forest Lake. This one has "disaster" written all over it for Hastings.
Hounds will score early and often. 9-Zip Hounds. They'll have 4-5 in the twine before Welsh gets his sqeaky voice warmed up.
HoundHockeyFanatic

Re: Hounds need to be ready

Post by HoundHockeyFanatic »

Nonamer wrote:East has created some solid momentum and needs to be ready to play tomorrow night. Cooper needs a good test in the nets going into the section playoffs. It must be tough to really get into the game when you don't see many shots.

East 6
Hastings 0
Cooper needs to be tested. The two goals he let in against Stillwater were soft goals. If East really wants a chance at the state title, I believe their only weakness is goaltending. Part of the problem is though that the defense is so talented and they only let a dozen or so shots per game. Don't get me wrong Cooper can be a great goalie, especially when they played at Wayazta, but as of lately it has concerned me.
The Few, The Proud, The Greyhounds
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Hounds 7
Hastings 0
HOUNDS
dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan »

East by 5
"Nothing Runs like a Greyhound"
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Hounds by four.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
greyhoundfan

Post by greyhoundfan »

hounds 8
raiders 1
cooper will have that signature goal on like 4 shots
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Nonamer wrote:Cooper needs a good test in the nets going into the section playoffs. It must be tough to really get into the game when you don't see many shots.
HoundHockeyFanatic wrote: Cooper needs to be tested. The two goals he let in against Stillwater were soft goals. If East really wants a chance at the state title, I believe their only weakness is goaltending. Part of the problem is though that the defense is so talented and they only let a dozen or so shots per game. Don't get me wrong Cooper can be a great goalie, especially when they played at Wayazta, but as of lately it has concerned me.

I think these are good points, and I'd like to expand on them with a comment on East's schedule.

I really like the composition of the schedule. It has a lot of tough games on it, so we can judge them pretty well, and those help them get ready. There are also a good number of games in which they can take things a little easier and sort things out ahead of sections. Aside from Central, who they're forced to play, they don't play any games that are horribly uneven (10-0-style games). They play all of the top competition in the section too.

What I don't like about it, especially this year, is how front-loaded it is. They haven't played a single game that they haven't been expected to win by several goals since Elk River, maybe Blaine.They've allowed over 20 shots in only 1 of those 12 games (Andover). Last year was a little better, when they played Blaine and Edina late in January, and when Cloquet was good. But their Februaries always seem to be quite weak. I suppose it's harder to find good teams around this time of year since they're in the middle of their conference schedules, but it's still probably possible to find one good test. The lack of competitive hockey late in the season might be a factor in some of the recent postseason struggles.
Last edited by karl(east) on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

East wins 6-0.
sportsguy29

Post by sportsguy29 »

The Raiders have always played tough against East. Might not beat them, but even over the past couple of seasons, they have played the Hounds tough. Give them that credit at least.
Lucia4President

greyhoundfan wrote:hounds 8
raiders 1
Maybe he will wake up against teams that pressure more than the teams they've played the last month or so. He played very well against Minnetonka, Centennial, etc at the beginning of the year, and the Hounds will need him to get back on his game if they expect to make a run.
HOUNDS
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

raiders 1
We have a winner! The goal came a little later than 4 shots in, though. :D

Not much to complain about, other than the one goal. Pretty good effort all around, and it was good to hear the names of some players who don't normally play much called.

And props to kdwa once again. I'm glad they could make it up to Duluth, and the play-by-play man does a great job and stays very objective. Fun to listen to.
dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan »

geez this season has flew by one game left for the hounds good win tonight get em ready for the playoffs
"Nothing Runs like a Greyhound"
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Tardy played very well tonite, with 2 goals on some sick dangles. Joe Arbour also had 2 goals. Pretty excited that Tardy is finally burying the break-a-ways.
Go Hounds.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

EHSHack wrote:Pretty excited that Tardy is finally burying the break-a-ways.
Good point. They haven't really had a bona fide sniper over the past few years, but Tardy has really progressed over the 2nd half of this season, ever since he missed that golden opportunity to tie the Blaine game. The competition may have something to do with it, of course, but I'd like to think he's made serious progress. He's put the team on his back at times and shown why he's a Mr. Hockey finalist.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I agree with karl, Tardy is a great player :D
Penalty Shot

Post by Penalty Shot »

Hounds looked good tonight.

Tardy? Should be in the finalist group for MR HOCKEY!
Lucia4President

Penalty Shot wrote:Hounds looked good tonight.

Tardy? Should be in the finalist group for MR HOCKEY!
He is a finalist. If you mean he should be in the top 5, I'm pretty sure they don't narrow it down that far anymore. He has definitely played well lately, though.
HOUNDS
sportsguy29

Post by sportsguy29 »

karl(east) wrote:
raiders 1
We have a winner! The goal came a little later than 4 shots in, though. :D

Not much to complain about, other than the one goal. Pretty good effort all around, and it was good to hear the names of some players who don't normally play much called.

And props to kdwa once again. I'm glad they could make it up to Duluth, and the play-by-play man does a great job and stays very objective. Fun to listen to.

Karl- Thanks for the compliment, man...it is much appreciated! East has a great team...The Hounds will be fun to watch this postseason! Good luck East...can't wait to see ya at the X!